Options

Scott Weiland has passed

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,212
    RIP. thanks for the great music. no matter the circumstances always sad when someone like this passes away.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,983
    Sad news, indeed. I hope his family and friends are able to help each other through the grief.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    edited December 2015
    vaggar99 said:

this is totally fucked. we gotta take better care of our 90's heros

We do?

Edit: if this guy was one of your heroes..... I don't know what to say about that...... He was a great songwriter & performer, but beyond that I don't see all that much to emulate.

Addiction sucks, and is a horrible thing, this guy has been a walking disaster for a long time. At the risk of repeating myself, the only surprising thing to me is that this didn't happen sooner.

Bummer to see another talented artist brought down by drugs, but he's no hero in my book.
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,770
    edited December 2015
    Sad day. :(
    First two albums were awesome I lost my virginity to Plush!
    I only saw them once in Victoria.I got the ticket for my birthday.Great show top to bottom!

Post edited by RobbyD462 on
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    Really sad to learn this. Drug addiction is such a tragedy. Loved STP in high school. Just so sad to see another person perish this way and to imagine the suffering that he endured along his path. I hope he finds peace somehow
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732

I am crushed by this. He was truly misunderstood. As a fan, this was always a fear. Really, really saddened by this. Still one of my favorite bands. I hear his music everyday and his talent always amazes me, and always will.

I agree, Paul
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281

vaggar99 said:

this is totally fucked. we gotta take better care of our 90's heros

We do?

Edit: if this guy was one of your heroes..... I don't know what to say about that...... He was a great songwriter & performer, but beyond that I don't see all that much to emulate.

Addiction sucks, and is a horrible thing, this guy has been a walking disaster for a long time. At the risk of repeating myself, the only surprising thing to me is that this didn't happen sooner.

Bummer to see another talented artist brought down by drugs, but he's no hero in my book.
    +1
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PettyHeadPettyHead Erie, PA Posts: 128
    I am so saddened by this almost in tears. I saw the good and the bad of Scotty live several times. His new band was an hour and a half from a few weeks ago, should have went. :( RIP SW
    1998 -Barrie, ON
    2003 -Cleveland
    2006 -Cleveland, Pittsburgh
    2007 -Lolla
    2008 -EV -Santa Cruz, PJ -DC
    2009 -EV -Baltimore I & II, PJ -Chicago I
    2010 -Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 -EV -Detroit, Bridge School I & II, PJ -Toronto
    2013 -Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - PJ - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Toronto I, Wrigley I & II, TOTD - MSG
    2017 - PJ - NYC - RRHOF Induction, EV - Nashville
    2018 - Wrigley I & II
    2022 - Hamilton, ON, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago I & II
    2024 - Baltimore
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,289
    R.I.P. Scott.... Thank you for the memories. Amazing shows, inspiring music. Lets hope this loss helps give others with addictions the courage and the will to get the help they need.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    I was a fan of STP before Pearl Jam....sad news
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    I feel *BIG* empty and have lost all motivation.

Scott you will be missed RIP
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,178
    Dude shouldn't have probably been on tour if he was sick.... Prob the worst place to be in the world.

Hope his kids & family can find some peAce

Saw STP last on Letterman 2010.... It was funny, they played their song twice. I think Daves crew fucked up the audio and made them do it again

Scott wasn't too happy

The music lives on!
  • Options
    BC62528BC62528 Posts: 200
    Sad day - I was fortunate enough to see STP on April 20, 2002 - Wallingford, CT - Oakdale Theater - Unbelievable performance and front man.
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    i taped them opening up for the stones in 94. have to go see if i can find it. i was 7th row center. it was quite a show. i still remember it. he had his shirt off and there was a lamp on stage. they could have been so much more but at least we got some great music. without the drugs maybe they could have evolved like pearl jam. unfortunately most of the news stories over the last number of years were not positive about this man. he did leave a family and they will always miss him.
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,075
    I was looking through upcoming shows for the Twin Cities area last night and saw that "Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts" were playing this week. Then I saw this. Crazy and sad.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    "If you should die before me, ask if you can bring a friend."

Sad, sad news. Damn it!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    I really wish people would stop with the "not surprising" bullshit. it's pretty disrespectful. the guy was clean. he may have died of a heart attack related to years of abuse, or maybe he did fall off the wagon one last time. we don't know yet.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410
    He struggled...
    I struggle....
    My son struggles...
    Boys and girls ... AA works if you work it ...
    Drugs and alcohol can kill ....some can't handle it ...I know I can't...
    So saddening....
    Love is all you need.....
  • Options

I really wish people would stop with the "not surprising" bullshit. it's pretty disrespectful. the guy was clean. he may have died of a heart attack related to years of abuse, or maybe he did fall off the wagon one last time. we don't know yet.

It may be disrespectful in your opinion, but the fact is I'm not surprised to hear that someone who has had a well documented history of drug problems died at 48.

I wasn't surprised when Layne Staley died, I wasn't surprised when Mark Sandman died & I'm not surprised today.

Sad loss of an amazing talent, but not surprising in the least.

How do you know he was clean?
  • Options

It may be disrespectful in your opinion, but the fact is I'm not surprised to hear that someone who has had a well documented history of drug problems died at 48.

I wasn't surprised when Layne Staley died, I wasn't surprised when Mark Sandman died & I'm not surprised today.

he had been clean for some time. if he hadn't been, it would have shown up in his recent performances, like it always has. people who have met him backstage for meet and greets have stated that he was sober. like I also said, maybe he fell off the wagon one last time. it happens. I'm just saying that people saying they aren't surprised is, to me, akin to saying "oh well".

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,375
    3days said:

Very sad indeed. Although people will remember some of the hiccups, it seemed like Scott and life were starting to play nicely together. I feel for his family and friends. No judgement, we do the best we can while we're here.

Well said. I really like that...
    "we do the best we can while we're here"
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    RS65573 said:

3days said:

Very sad indeed. Although people will remember some of the hiccups, it seemed like Scott and life were starting to play nicely together. I feel for his family and friends. No judgement, we do the best we can while we're here.

Well said. I really like that...
    "we do the best we can while we're here"
    This !!!^^^^
  • Options

he had been clean for some time. if he hadn't been, it would have shown up in his recent performances, like it always has. people who have met him backstage for meet and greets have stated that he was sober. like I also said, maybe he fell off the wagon one last time. it happens. I'm just saying that people saying they aren't surprised is, to me, akin to saying "oh well".

Fair enough. I don't know if he was clean or not, I only know some of his history.

I have sympathy for his family & friends, for sure. A loss of life is a loss of life, I don't mean to sound disrespectful or callous, just stating how I feel.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited December 2015

Big high profile celebrity with lots of money drug addict found dead (clean or not)... Yeah, it's not surprising... It's sad. But why do people care more about it than the non celebrity person in your own neighborhood. I don't think this guy deserves any more concern than those that are not sensationalized by celebrity status.

What's your next thread going to be... Poor Charlie Sheen has HIV. Oh, pity pity for him...give me a break.
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

Big high profile celebrity with lots of money drug addict found dead (clean or not)... Yeah, it's not surprising... It's sad. But why do people care more about it than the non celebrity person in your own neighborhood. I don't think this guy deserves any more concern than those that are not sensationalized by celebrity status.

What's your next thread going to be... Poor Charlie Sheen has HIV. Oh, pity pity for him...give me a break.
    people have an emotional connection to musical artists, that's why. no, it's not anymore tragic than the addict down the street that no one knew, but it's of interest because of how he affected our lives through music.

get a grip.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    stevedsteved Posts: 651
    Guys, Lets not get into arguments about respect or disrespect, about celebrity or non celebrity and addiction. No one life or death is more valuable than another. As a man in recovery I see miracles and tragedies all of the time, to the families of those people I assure you nobody cares if you are a Rock star or not, however we are celebrating, or mourning the life of someone who has impacted our lives in some way through the art of music. That is different. We all feel a connection to this man in someway through the songs or experiences we have shared along the way. It does not elevate his importance as a man, but as a musician his life has touched us, and we can show our appreciation, or anger, sadness, or whatever we choose to feel without arguing about it with each other please. To me he will be missed greatly!
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Options
    steved said:

Guys, Lets not get into arguments about respect or disrespect, about celebrity or non celebrity and addiction. No one life or death is more valuable than another. As a man in recovery I see miracles and tragedies all of the time, to the families of those people I assure you nobody cares if you are a Rock star or not, however we are celebrating, or mourning the life of someone who has impacted our lives in some way through the art of music. That is different. We all feel a connection to this man in someway through the songs or experiences we have shared along the way. It does not elevate his importance as a man, but as a musician his life has touched us, and we can show our appreciation, or anger, sadness, or whatever we choose to feel without arguing about it with each other please. To me he will be missed greatly!

Well said.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    Many years ago I would have said he was just another talented junkie who deserved his fate. But now I think he just made a series of mistakes (his own fault I'm sure) and unfortunately those mistakes led to a drug habit he was not strong enough to beat.

Those first three albums from STP were amazing. Right up there with any music Pearl Jam put out.

This is a good reminder of how fortunate we are to follow a band like Pearl Jam where the members are all really great people and were able to stay or get away from these negative influences. Not coincidentally they have the biggest fan base from that era.