Options

San Bernardino Shootings Kill 14

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,057
    Voyeur journalism.
    Something I got from a Wash Post article today though, it showed just how normal their lives were compared to ours. You wouldnt know what ideas they had unless you were told.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    the bitch left a note/comments for isis on Facebook ?
    time to wake up and smell the coffee liberals, it's not a gun problem......it is a people problem !
    locking down our borders would be a good start.

Godfather.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    It's a sacrificing one self for fake gods problem.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,044
    Yeah when you believe that some invisible being in the sky is going to reward you in the afterlife all bets are off. Maybe it's a religion problem? All religion...not just Muslim
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited December 2015
    All religion. What fuels some of the backlash here.

Do wonder what female suicide bombers are promised? Man that does the dishes?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,044
    The terrorists believe that they get rewards for killing...the GOP believes that praying will solve it.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    callen said:

All religion. What fuels some of the backlash here.

Do wonder what female suicide bombers are promised? Man that does the dishes?

That's foreplay in my house.lol
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,805

Yeah when you believe that some invisible being in the sky is going to reward you in the afterlife all bets are off. Maybe it's a religion problem? All religion...not just Muslim

Religion is definitely at the root of much strife in the world. How much better it would be if people stopped believing in some invisible god and just believed in the large Flying Cloud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdqDrIsST8k&list=RDxdqDrIsST8k#t=0
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,688

time to wake up and smell the coffee liberals, it's not a gun problem......it is a people problem !

Godfather.

What a sick comment. No acknowledgment of the fact that a man born in America did it and was likely the real influence here. I guess that is somehow secondary to bigots.
    Stop being such a fucking xenophobe GF.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I think it's the twisting of religion that's more of an issue from here. The pushing of it upon others, punishing those who believe differently. Most people of faith whom I know do not, did not, live their lives this way. While I can see some actions and words and contradictions deserving of mockery, those are the extremes. Most are peaceful and it's not my place to say it'd be best if they just stop believing (not that that's possible anyway).

This morning on the news was a story of a woman who survived the shooting. Her home was just burglarized in the midst of coping with this clusterfuck. Her daughter said they're relying on family and faith to get through what must be overwhelming on so many levels.

Who am I to dismiss that? I can't.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    hedonist said:

This morning on the news was a story of a woman who survived the shooting. Her home was just burglarized in the midst of coping with this clusterfuck. Her daughter said they're relying on family and faith to get through what must be overwhelming on so many levels.

It's easy to dismiss because it is bullshit.
    Relying on faith too? They will be waiting a long fucking time for that.
    Family will get them through this, not faith, fuck that.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,057
    hedonist said:

I think it's the twisting of religion that's more of an issue from here. The pushing of it upon others, punishing those who believe differently. Most people of faith whom I know do not, did not, live their lives this way. While I can see some actions and words and contradictions deserving of mockery, those are the extremes. Most are peaceful and it's not my place to say it'd be best if they just stop believing (not that that's possible anyway).

the politicization of the literal interpretation is the issue.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,688
    edited December 2015

hedonist said:

I am not a supporter of religion at all, but what you're saying doesn't make much sense. They don't have to wait for faith. They already seem to have it. Faith is not about waiting for a result. It is a psychological crutch and exists from moment to moment.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

hedonist said:

Too bad you chose to overlook the first part of what I wrote. It was in context of what was quoted.

Faith helped my father live through and come to grips with horrific loss and fighting in a war. I think it's bullshit to sweepingly call it bullshit. I'd not be here for such bullshit, among other surrounding bullshit.

But, it's your bullshit, so rant on. Not even offended (surprisingly so)!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,805
    In a way I envy people who have faith because it does seem to get them through. My father is a man of faith and his beliefs helped him get through the loss of his wife. I've seen faith work for a lot of people. We all find ways to get by. For me, it's being close to people I care about, music, books, and standing up for all things wild. For others it faith. For some others its pink flip flops and Cabbage Patch Kids. Whatever works is fine by me as it doesn't harm anyone else or get foisted off on someone else.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,578

Godfather.

You're right gf guns don't kill people

Gun owners with legally purchased and registered guns kill people.
  • Options
    I think faith is a comfy blanket of warmth for some and a burden of heaviness for others.Isnt it awesome we have the right to choose?
  • Options
    Agreed, rr.

We all have different means of coping - or crutches, as PJ_Soul mentioned. Again, without flinging those means at others, insisting everyone else use them, I don't see the harm.

Whatever gets you through the night (and to your own personal light), it's alright.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2016
    ^^^^
    Right to choose, agreed.
    Kind of like you can choose to become a murderous martyr in the name of [removed by Admin] with your faith in being rewarded with multiple virgins in the afterlife,
    or
    You could choose to be normal and realize that your faith is bullshit about that.
    Thousands of cultures all have their own god - each is hoping that their faith in it is true.
    What exactly are the people who say that their faith is getting them through troubled times mean?
    What is it doing?

Claiming its gods plan that put you in misery and using faith in god to pull you out?
    WTF.
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,971
    edited December 2015

Godfather.

Nearly 750,000 hunters went deer hunting last week in Pennsylvania. Think about it, millions of rounds of ammunition and nearly 3/4 of a million firearms and not one mass shooting or murder. The vast vast majority of gun owners are responsible. It s the very small percentage as usual that fuck it up for everyone.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited December 2015

^^^^
    Right to choose, agreed.
    Kind of like you can choose to become a murderous martyr in the name of aluha chocolate bar with your faith in being rewarded with multiple virgins in the afterlife,
    or
    You could choose to be normal and realize that your faith is bullshit about that.
    Thousands of cultures all have their own god - each is hoping that their faith in it is true.
    What exactly are the people who say that their faith is getting them through troubled times mean?
    What is it doing?

Claiming its gods plan that put you in misery and using faith in god to pull you out?
    WTF.

That chocolate bar comment is so rude. At least from my perspective.

As an agnostic, I have not used faith to get through dark days so I can't say how it's used. Perhaps others can. Maybe in the same ways that Brian mentioned earlier? Nature, music, etc. Writing. Something in which to find solace and comfort. Even strength.

Also, not all live by the "god's plan" mentality.

*edited to respect a former board member
  • Options
    hedonist said:

^^^^
    Right to choose, agreed.
    Kind of like you can choose to become a murderous martyr in the name of aluha chocolate bar with your faith in being rewarded with multiple virgins in the afterlife,
    or
    What is it doing?

WTF.

That chocolate bar comment is so rude. At least from my perspective.

I think it is rude to open fire on a mass of people while shouting allah akbar
    Could just be me though.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Agreed, rr.

We all have different means of coping - or crutches, as PJ_Soul mentioned. Again, without flinging those means at others, insisting everyone else use them, I don't see the harm.

Whatever gets you through the night (and to your own personal light), it's alright.

Live and let live !
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    I'm an atheist and generally religion creeps me out. However, I do not feel the need to mock others for their religion or to question the validity of their beliefs. If having faith or belief in a god helps them get through tough times in life then I say good for them. As long as their beliefs in no way interfere with my life then how can I possibly have a problem with it? Plenty, if not the majority of people of faith practice that faith without bothering anyone else. Who am I to try and interfere with that or to sneer at them for doing so?
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I think it is rude to open fire on a mass of people while shouting allah akbar
    Could just be me though.

It's fine if you'd rather counter.

That has nothing to do with my other comment(s).

Have at it and have fun.
    Post edited by hedonist on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Godfather.

Nearly 750,000 hunters went deer hunting last week in Pennsylvania. Think about it, millions of rounds of ammunition and nearly 3/4 of a million firearms and not one mass shooting or murder. The vast vast majority of gun owners are responsible. It s the very small percentage as usual that fuck it up for everyone.
    We got into a convo at the bar the other night when someone said "These crazies stock pile 1000s of rounds of ammo" I laughed and got into with them saying you can buy a few boxes of range ammo and have yourself "1000s of rounds" it's that easy.For less then 100 bucks.

We need to enforce the laws we have to start with and do a better job with background checks.Another good start would be the media quit glorifying these events.but I agree with statement above.
  • Options
    ^^^^
    When you buy ammo in the US do you need to provide anything? (id, etc)
    Or can you just walk into a store and buy it?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,971

^^^^

It depends on the state. In nj you need a rifle/shotgun firearms identification card to buy handgun ammo. When you order online some places make you fax a copy of your liscense to prove you are over 18.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

^^^^

It depends on the state. In nj you need a rifle/shotgun firearms identification card to buy handgun ammo. When you order online some places make you fax a copy of your liscense to prove you are over 18.
    Thanks. Wasn't quite sure how that worked.
    Is there a state that you know of where you need nothing to buy?