Options

San Bernardino Shootings Kill 14

Comments

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    :)
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,974
    The $28,500 deposit is alarming. Always follow the money. Maybe he cashed in a 401K or had a sudden windfall, sure. If not this is a strong indicator that these two did not act alone.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/san-bernardino-shooting/did-farook-malik-have-help-n476136?cid=sm_fb

NBC News has confirmed that a $28,500 deposit was made into a bank account belonging to Farook in the weeks before last Wednesday's attack. Farook's base salary in 2013 was $52,000. Fox News first reported on Monday night that the deposit was made from WebBank.com on Nov. 18.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    So why do you think these terrorist come here legally when it's easier to just sneak across the border illegally... They can't assimilate into mainstream society as easy, cannot open bank accounts for funding their plots, and harder to communicate with other radical cells without Internet and cellular access...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    BS44325 said:

dignin said:

JimmyV said:

American military actions are condemned as being religious in nature when compared to Muslim extremism. In almost every other situation they are condemned for being economic, an ongoing grab of natural resources. These charges aren't mutually exclusive of course but the latter is far more accurate than the former.

Agreed.

Used in various contexts to support whatever agenda is being pushed at the moment.
    You are doing the same thing. ISIS is not only made up of extreme Islamist's. They can have goals that have nothing to do with religion. Power.

Some use religion, some use nationalism.....all the same bullshit at the end of the day. War, death and power.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/perspective/analysis/2015/08/21/Where-is-Iraq-s-Baath-party-today-.html
    ISIS does not seek power. They seek to bring about the apocalypse according to their interpretation of the Koran's teachings.
    This is a narrow, dogmatic view which is not supported by the facts on the ground.
    I don't give a shit what an organization s charter or mission statement says, I care about what they do and how.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,578
    JimmyV said:

The $28,500 deposit is alarming. Always follow the money. Maybe he cashed in a 401K or had a sudden windfall, sure. If not this is a strong indicator that these two did not act alone.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/san-bernardino-shooting/did-farook-malik-have-help-n476136?cid=sm_fb

NBC News has confirmed that a $28,500 deposit was made into a bank account belonging to Farook in the weeks before last Wednesday's attack. Farook's base salary in 2013 was $52,000. Fox News first reported on Monday night that the deposit was made from WebBank.com on Nov. 18.

Syed Farook got $28,500 loan from online lender just before San Bernardino shooting - CBS News
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/syed-farook-28500-loan-online-lender-san-bernardino-shooting/
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,688

^^^^
    Both have unwavering faith that sustains them.

But one is running around killing people in this

^^^^

So are Buddhists equal in the sick war too?

I don't see Christians beheading people and burning people alive in the name of Jesus. Ridiculous to even remotely equate Christianity's perceived negatives to what the Islamic extremists are doing. ISIL wants to murder anything that doesn't fit its religious view and Christians want to keep unborn babies from being murdered. Yeah, both are completely evil.
    I don't think of Buddhism as a religion because they don't worship a God at all. I feel like Buddhism is a philosophy rather than a religion.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

dignin said:

JimmyV said:

American military actions are condemned as being religious in nature when compared to Muslim extremism. In almost every other situation they are condemned for being economic, an ongoing grab of natural resources. These charges aren't mutually exclusive of course but the latter is far more accurate than the former.

Agreed.

Used in various contexts to support whatever agenda is being pushed at the moment.
    You are doing the same thing. ISIS is not only made up of extreme Islamist's. They can have goals that have nothing to do with religion. Power.

Some use religion, some use nationalism.....all the same bullshit at the end of the day. War, death and power.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/perspective/analysis/2015/08/21/Where-is-Iraq-s-Baath-party-today-.html
    ISIS does not seek power. They seek to bring about the apocalypse according to their interpretation of the Koran's teachings.
    This is a narrow, dogmatic view which is not supported by the facts on the ground.
    I don't give a shit what an organization s charter or mission statement says, I care about what they do and how.
    I'm sorry but you are in denial.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,594
    edited December 2015
    callen said:

In ten years there will be more Hispanics, minorities and liberals in Texas than red necks.

^^^^

I don't see Christians beheading people and burning people alive in the name of Jesus. Ridiculous to even remotely equate Christianity's perceived negatives to what the Islamic extremists are doing. ISIL wants to murder anything that doesn't fit its religious view and Christians want to keep unborn babies from being murdered. Yeah, both are completely evil.
    We bombed the shit out of Muslims. Dubya appealed to religion to get Americans behind him. We just have better weapons. Fuck look at the rhetoric now in bombing Syria.
    You gotta decide if the Iraq war was about religion, oil, corporate interests, WMD's, or terrorism. You can't say it was a religious based war and then switch over to oil when trying to make another argument.

I don't remember at the time anyone thinking it was a religious war. Hell, Iraq was led by a basically secular government at the time. The war was sold to the public via WMD's and 9/11 and not as a Christian versus Muslim war.

And to further compare Christianity and Islam. The USA being a Christian nation allow Muslims to build mosques all over the place and practice their faith, while Christians in the middle east in Islamic countries are hoping they can pray in secret and not get beheaded that day. And of course I'm talking about radical Islamic leaders, but can we give some credit to Christians in the USA who actually practice religious freedom that the country was based on?
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited December 2015

callen said:

In ten years there will be more Hispanics, minorities and liberals in Texas than red necks.

^^^^

We bombed the shit out of Muslims. Dubya appealed to religion to get Americans behind him. We just have better weapons. Fuck look at the rhetoric now in bombing Syria.
    but can we give some credit to Christians in the USA who actually practice religious freedom that the country was based on?
    There is a little bit of irony in this remark given the recent statements made by Trump and others (and some people on this board).

The US has been tolerant of other religions, to its credit, but there is a large segment of the population that is not.

Edit: also, I thought the US was a secular nation, not a christian one?
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

dignin said:

JimmyV said:

Agreed.

I don't mean that they don't want Armageddon, just that there is much much more politics and power grabbing than just the religious aspects.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

dignin said:

JimmyV said:

Agreed.

I don't mean that they don't want Armageddon, just that there is much much more politics and power grabbing than just the religious aspects.
    Well, some Christians want Armageddon to go down....so there's also that.

According to one premillennial Christian interpretation, Jesus will return to earth and defeat the Antichrist (the "beast"), the False Prophet and Satan the Devil in the Battle of Armageddon. Then Satan will be put into the "bottomless pit" or abyss for 1,000 years, known as the Millennium. After being released from the abyss, Satan will gather Gog and Magog from the four corners of the earth. They will encamp surrounding the "holy ones" and the "beloved city" (this refers to Jerusalem). Fire will come down from God, out of heaven and devour Gog and Magog. The Devil, death, hell, and those not found written in the Book of Life are then thrown into Gehenna (the lake of fire burning with brimstone).[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armageddon
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,805
    dignin said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

rgambs said:

BS44325 said:

dignin said:

JimmyV said:

Agreed.

Well, some Christians want Armageddon to go down....so there's also that.

According to one premillennial Christian interpretation, Jesus will return to earth and defeat the Antichrist (the "beast"), the False Prophet and Satan the Devil in the Battle of Armageddon. Then Satan will be put into the "bottomless pit" or abyss for 1,000 years, known as the Millennium. After being released from the abyss, Satan will gather Gog and Magog from the four corners of the earth. They will encamp surrounding the "holy ones" and the "beloved city" (this refers to Jerusalem). Fire will come down from God, out of heaven and devour Gog and Magog. The Devil, death, hell, and those not found written in the Book of Life are then thrown into Gehenna (the lake of fire burning with brimstone).[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armageddon
    Absolutely. That's why so many Christian Fundamentalists don't care about (or even promote) the trashing of the planet... because Jesus will come and whisk us away to the Pearly Gates.
    Ain't gonna happen, Christians.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Kinda wish that "some" term could / would be applied across the smorgasbord of religions.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Kinda wish that "some" term could / would be applied across the smorgasbord of religions.

That was kinda the point.
  • Options
    I get some have made that point in ways, seems that others haven't or won't. Can't?

Sorry. I know I'm late-chiming again but fuckit ;)

• Options
    hedonist said:

I get some have made that point in ways, seems that others haven't or won't. Can't?

Sorry. I know I'm late-chiming again but fuckit ;)

Oh, I see what your gettin' at.

About that late chiming, I might have to report you to the authority ;)
  • Options
    dignin said:

callen said:

^^^^

but can we give some credit to Christians in the USA who actually practice religious freedom that the country was based on?
    There is a little bit of irony in this remark given the recent statements made by Trump and others (and some people on this board).

The US has been tolerant of other religions, to its credit, but there is a large segment of the population that is not.

Really? You are going to argue that the US isn't a historically Christian nation? Further to the Christians credit, they actually created a country that did separate church and state. They peacefully have allowed more and more liberal laws to be passed over the years and have peacefully seen Islam rise in this country and secularism/atheism take control.

The large section that is not tolerant? Where are they? Are they blowing up sporting events, or shooting up parties? Cause if it was large we would be reading a lot about it. Or by large section do you mean people who merely have opinions that aren't allowed in this politically correct country being built?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,805
    edited December 2015

dignin said:

callen said:

^^^^

Really? You are going to argue that the US isn't a historically Christian nation? Further to the Christians credit, they actually created a country that did separate church and state. They peacefully have allowed more and more liberal laws to be passed over the years and have peacefully seen Islam rise in this country and secularism/atheism take control.

The large section that is not tolerant? Where are they? Are they blowing up sporting events, or shooting up parties? Cause if it was large we would be reading a lot about it. Or by large section do you mean people who merely have opinions that aren't allowed in this politically correct country being built?
    Actually, nobody created a county called the United States as much as they stole land, committed genocide and claimed that land as their own. Some of these settlers were Christians but many of them were , thieves, hooligans, ruffians, runaway prisoners, thugs and criminals who made haste to escape Europe where they generally weren't wanted anyway. Little of the founding of this new nation was done peacefully.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

callen said:

^^^^

You gotta decide if the Iraq war was about religion, oil, corporate interests, WMD's, or terrorism. You can't say it was a religious based war and then switch over to oil when trying to make another argument.

I don't remember at the time anyone thinking it was a religious war. Hell, Iraq was led by a basically secular government at the time. The war was sold to the public via WMD's and 9/11 and not as a Christian versus Muslim war.

And to further compare Christianity and Islam. The USA being a Christian nation allow Muslims to build mosques all over the place and practice their faith, while Christians in the middle east in Islamic countries are hoping they can pray in secret and not get beheaded that day. And of course I'm talking about radical Islamic leaders, but can we give some credit to Christians in the USA who actually practice religious freedom that the country was based on?
    Read my endless posts on how religion and money correlate. As to comparing Christianity to Islam? Same shit. Look at trumps vomit and who's eating it up.

Country based on Christianity? Hardly.

So many other things I can type but ending my commute.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    hedonist said:

All religions are based on fake writings. Most religious folks are good people. All religious folks seek comfort to deal with life's questions. How bout that?
    Post edited by callen on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,053
    callen said:

But thirty leaders of our country invoke religion to motivate the masses. Look at trump and Cruz and graham and Huckabee. Think it a coincidence the atheists and agnostics are the ones that don't want more war? Now it's corporate profit driven but the use of Gods is way it's sold.

Hell Dubya said God, Christian God Was the higher power that guided him on his decisions. To Muslims sure as hell looks and sounds like Christians are bombing and killing them.

Am I making excuses. Absolutely not. Muslims that kill for god are sick fucks. But so are Christians that want to bomb them all and let god sort them out. Just pussies as they call for our young men and women to do it.

So we need to rid our societies of these fake gods and books and make it a bit harder for rich and powerful to have humans sacrifice their one and only life for their gain.

Fuck all religions and gods.

And to all my Christian brothers and sisters, I love you all. I endured an agonizing prayer before thanksgiving dinner yet love my family. I get it. But break free.

Whats your stance on the political under cloak of religion true motvies for all this shit? THAT is whats going on.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

callen said:

^^^^

Except we arent a "christian nation"
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

callen said:

^^^^

What a joke this board is sometimes. Check out the currency and read "In God We Trust". We have a secular government for sure but it is silly to say that the USA didn't have a huge Christian base for much of its existence.

It is almost pointless to post when people on here can't see how close minded they are.
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

callen said:

^^^^

What a joke this board is sometimes. Check out the currency and read "In God We Trust". We have a secular government for sure but it is silly to say that the USA didn't have a huge Christian base for much of its existence.

It is almost pointless to post when people on here can't see how close minded they are.
    Maybe you should learn a little about the country you live in.

5 Reasons America Is Not—And Has Never Been—A Christian Nation
    The myth that America is a Christian nation is not only untrue, but promotes the pernicious idea that non-Christians are second-class citizens.

http://www.alternet.org/story/155985/5_reasons_america_is_not_--_and_has_never_been_--_a_christian_nation

"In God we trust" first appeared on U.S. coins in 1864[4] and has appeared on paper currency since 1957. A law passed in a Joint Resolution by the 84th Congress (P.L. 84-140) and approved by President Dwight Eisenhower on July 30, 1956 declared IN GOD WE TRUST must appear on currency. This phrase was first used on paper money in 1957, when it appeared on the one-dollar silver certificate. The first paper currency bearing the phrase entered circulation on October 1, 1957

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_we_trust
  • Options
    "I'll take a bullet for you" - from one of the first responders on the scene. Saw that officer in a news conference earlier. Humbling to see these people a week after the fact, still dealing, still reeling, and so brave.

Guess this could've gone in the good cop thread too.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,974
    hedonist said:

"I'll take a bullet for you" - from one of the first responders on the scene. Saw that officer in a news conference earlier. Humbling to see these people a week after the fact, still dealing, still reeling, and so brave.

Guess this could've gone in the good cop thread too.

Nicely said, Hedo. Feels like one side effect of these incidents becoming so common is the victims and those most directly impacted are forgotten with increasing speed each time. Forgotten probably isn't the right word...maybe set aside is better.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

callen said:

^^^^

Which was not placed on currency until the 1950's as a bullshit ploy to counter "the red scare".
    The same as the pledge of allegiance.
    Not to say some or a lot of the members werent avowed christians but we are ruled by law not doctrine.

So you, believing differently about this, exactly which sect of christianity are we as a nation? Which founding document states this?

• Options

mickeyrat said:

callen said:

^^^^

But "God" is not exclusively Christian, is it?
    At any rate, I don't see why it matters if the US was built on Christian "values" (haha, what a joke). More than that, it was built on freedom.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mickeyrat said:

callen said:

^^^^

At any rate, I don't see why it matters if the US was built on Christian "values" (haha, what a joke). More than that, it was built on freedom.
    And the values arent exclusive to Christianity or any other religion for that matter. In fact they are really the common thread amongst us all.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

PJ_Soul said:

mickeyrat said:

callen said:

^^^^

And the values arent exclusive to Christianity or any other religion for that matter. In fact they are really the common thread amongst us all.
    For sure.