Options

San Bernardino Shootings Kill 14

Comments

• Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Just to pick a few nits here, most of the founding fathers, including Washington, Franklin, and Jefferson were not Christians. They were Deists.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,594
    http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/americas-changing-religious-landscape/

78% of USA identified as Christian in 2007. I am sure not all 78% are devout Christians just like not all Muslims in foreign countries are devout followers of Islam. it is very frustrating to have a conversation on here with some of you who won't agree even on an easy point like the USA is predominantly inhabited by Christians. You may disagree with the point I was trying to make based on the fact that the USA is predominantly Christian (which is fine and debate is fun), but take a step back every once in a while and not try to discredit every last thing because you feel like you have to win or something. I have changed opinions many times over the years and a lot of it is from reading stuff on this board. For example, I am pro gay marriage. That wouldn't be possible if I felt over my life I had to discredit every last comment from someone who I disagreed with on a topic.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,053
    edited December 2015
    what would that figure be now?

Just read it, 2012 77% identfy, of those 35% attended services rarely or never, Which is roughly the same across the board with most faiths. Except Jews . twice that percentage rarely or never attend.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,053
    bootleggers statement in part....

"And to further compare Christianity and Islam. The USA being a Christian nation allow Muslims to build mosques all over the place and practice their faith, while Christians in the middle east in Islamic countries are hoping they can pray in secret and not get beheaded that day. And of course I'm talking about radical Islamic leaders, but can we give some credit to Christians in the USA who actually practice religious freedom that the country was based on?"

The Constitution allows this. A secular document outlining how the govenment is allowed to function. Wonder how many devout "christians" are protesting and attempting to block the building of Mosques in the south and elsewhere? Houses of Worship designed for believers of that faith?

Christians are sprinkled all throughout the middle east. Given protection to practice their faith by most governments over there. Iran, Iraq(until we fucked THAT up) Syria....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Really disappointed at the racist comments in the thread on Islam, resulting in it being closed for review.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,688
    edited December 2015

Really disappointed at the racist comments in the thread on Islam, resulting in it being closed for review.

Same. That was actually the most racist shit I've ever seen on the boards (or, actually was it xenophobic, technically? Or no... is there a technical term for being hateful towards a specific religious group? .... I guess we can just call it bigotry :confounded: )
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,976
    Trump is appealing to a portion of the American populace who have lost their fucking minds. The Islam thread was evidence of that.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Same. That was actually the most racist shit I've ever seen on the boards.
    Only good thing about such incidents is that it gives you an insight into those responsible and a fair idea of how to view any future contributions of theirs
  • Options

It was more likely the posting of disturbing pics that did it.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Same. That was actually the most racist shit I've ever seen on the boards.
    Only good thing about such incidents is that it gives you an insight into those responsible and a fair idea of how to view any future contributions of theirs
    Agreed.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

Trump is appealing to a portion of the American populace who have lost their fucking minds. The Islam thread was evidence of that.

Yup, pretty much.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    JimmyV said:

Spot on, davidtrios is a self identified Trump supporter, which perfectly fits his dissemination of factually inaccurate racist bullshit.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Same. That was actually the most racist shit I've ever seen on the boards (or, actually was it xenophobic, technically? Or no... is there a technical term for being hateful towards a specific religious group? .... I guess we can just call it bigotry :confounded: )
    I think it is racist. I think Islam is half scapegoat, the other half is racism toward what a Trump supporter would call a sandn***er, raghead, towelhead or some such nonsense. You hear those all the time in rural areas down here...true colors.
    It really tries my patience, and I am sad to see it here in such an enlightened forum.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

I think it is racist. I think Islam is half scapegoat, the other half is racism toward what a Trump supporter would call a sandn***er, raghead, towelhead or some such nonsense. You hear those all the time in rural areas down here...true colors.
    It really tries my patience, and I am sad to see it here in such an enlightened forum.
    I didn't see that Islam thread as being "racist". More of buying into stereotypes.

Educate. If you try forcing something down someone's throat they'll choke...
  • Options

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

I didn't see that Islam thread as being "racist". More of buying into stereotypes.

Isn't buying into stereotypes about a certain race a perfect example of racism?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

No. That's why it's called a stereotype. If I used the word "cliche" would it ring differently?

If I thought all Irishman were drunks that makes me a racist?

Cmon man...

Educate them...
  • Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

No. That's why it's called a stereotype. If I used the word "cliche" would it ring differently?

Cmon man...

Educate them...
    No, Irishman is not a race, it would be xenophobic.
    If you thought all white people were drunks, that would be racist.

In social psychology, stereotype is the cognitive aspect, prejudice is the emotional reaction, and discrimination is the physical action.
    To me, at least, they are all 3 components of racism.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I don't think that you thinking all Irish are drunks or even all white people are drunks would be racist as such. It only becomes racist when because of your beliefs you then encourage prejudice against these people or even incite others to hatred.

Maybe I'm being too generous though...
    Post edited by jnimhaoileoin on
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

Cmon man...

Educate them...

In social psychology, stereotype is the cognitive aspect, prejudice is the emotional reaction, and discrimination is the physical action.
    I should have read your comment properly first, as I think you probably phrased it better than I! Your summary of the components of racism there seems pretty succinct and accurate
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

Cmon man...

Educate them...

Smart stuff Gambsy
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

Cmon man...

Educate them...

Another word for racist is exnephobe, no? Or is that a synonym? I forget. I thought they went hand in hand most of the time.

Anyways I didn't see it as "racist".

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    I have trouble calling these bigots and xenophobes, racists. Muslim is not a race. Not all are racists, but definitely some of them are.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,976
    Neither of the two bombers here in Boston were Arabs. Both were Muslims. I do think there is an element of racism in play, maybe even a large element, but it certainly isn't just racism.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    So, anything new on this case?.
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    dignin said:

I have trouble calling these bigots and xenophobes, racists. Muslim is not a race. Not all are racists, but definitely some of them are.

Important point. I believe the country with the largest percentage of Muslims is Malaysia or Indonesia. That should blow some people's stereotypes.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    dignin said:

JimmyV said:

Neither of the two bombers here in Boston were Arabs. Both were Muslims. I do think there is an element of racism in play, maybe even a large element, but it certainly isn't just racism.

Yeah, I think it's a testament to how dumb they are. To some people, anyone who looks different is suspect. They see brown people, they don't make distinctions.
    But, yeah, racism is only a part, and not the whole.
  • Options

dignin said:

Important point. I believe the country with the largest percentage of Muslims is Malaysia or Indonesia. That should blow some people's stereotypes.
    Funny you say this. I asked Nart(bad brains) if he could read Arabic? He said "no". I said aren't you Muslim? He said yes but I'm not an Arab.

I had associated/worked with Muslims from the Middle East and not from anywhere else so that was my mistake.
  • Options
    If you discriminate against a Muslim that is being a bigot not a racist. Muslim is not a race.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    edited December 2015

dignin said:

Funny you say this. I asked Nart(bad brains) if he could read Arabic? He said "no". I said aren't you Muslim? He said yes but I'm not an Arab.

I had associated/worked with Muslims from the Middle East and not from anywhere else so that was my mistake.
    The only Muslim I know well is my friend who happens to be a Bosnian Muslim, not a chance she could read Arabic either I imagine