Options

The Gun Thread

Comments

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I guess recent proposed gun legislation has freaked people out here in nj; I saw someone buy 3 ar-15's today at a store. I never saw anything like it, people buying 2 and 3 guns at a time. Shotguns, handguns...anything and everything! All I wanted was a ruger 10/22 to shoot with my kids. I guess I'll go to the national chain store to get it since there was zero lines there today.

What's the cause this time??
    I m guessing San berdindo.
    Typical. Terrorist attack any other country and they bomb the terrorists. They attack here and we want to talk gun control.
    You're right. We should bomb California off the map.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,904
    mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

Curious. Brother bought his wife a Ruger 9mm. They are looking at some kind of safe for it. Any recommendations?
    Something with relative ease of access to the weapon in case she needs to get it but secur otherwise , ya know? He's a firefighter in Vegas for the Air Force. Civilian Chief to be exact. Sometimes he has to do a 24 hr shift. They had a "visitor" that she felt hinky about that was the decider for them.

Check out GunVault safes. Finger keypad for easy access and small enough to fit almost anywhere
    Thanks. How pricey?
    I bought my handgun safe for around $100. I think it's called "bulldog safes" or something like that. Check out cabelas.com.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,982
    mickeyrat said:

Curious. Brother bought his wife a Ruger 9mm. They are looking at some kind of safe for it. Any recommendations?
    Something with relative ease of access to the weapon in case she needs to get it but secur otherwise , ya know? He's a firefighter in Vegas for the Air Force. Civilian Chief to be exact. Sometimes he has to do a 24 hr shift. They had a "visitor" that she felt hinky about that was the decider for them.

For those who may think I'm bullshitting. Here's my brothers Department at Nellis. Relates to an incident back in Aug.

https://www.facebook.com/AirForceFES/videos/722431581191439/?pnref=story.unseen-section

Video is of a pilot who was involved in a crash during landing goving a speech to the shift that that saved his life. Basically he ran into the back of another jet that shouldn't have been where it stopped . The jet caught fire and was mangled to the point the pilot could not eject or otherwise egress. 110 seconds for extinguishing the fire and pilot extraction. Brother says in his 32 yr career, he knows of only 3 guys saved from a crash and none but this time was fire involved.

The first thing to determine is how they want the safe to open. There are key locks, combination locks, biometric (hand/fingerprint) and electronic RFID locks off the top of my head.

Most of the electronic ones use a battery (obviously) and have a physical key or combination to use if the electronics fail.

They all offer varying degrees of security and cost but a real life no BS assessment of their household (kids in the home?) is necessary before buying a safe.

They should ask themselves a few questions. Are they both heavy or light sleepers? Do they have a home security alarm system to wake them up? Or a dog?

If they can go from being asleep to suddenly being awake enough to possess fine motor skills in an instant, a physical key or mechanical combination lock would be fine. If not, handprint or RFID keyed locks should be considered.

FWIW, I hope that Ruger never has to come out of whatever safe they choose.

If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    eddiec said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I guess recent proposed gun legislation has freaked people out here in nj; I saw someone buy 3 ar-15's today at a store. I never saw anything like it, people buying 2 and 3 guns at a time. Shotguns, handguns...anything and everything! All I wanted was a ruger 10/22 to shoot with my kids. I guess I'll go to the national chain store to get it since there was zero lines there today.

What's the cause this time??
    I m guessing San berdindo.
    Typical. Terrorist attack any other country and they bomb the terrorists. They attack here and we want to talk gun control.
    You're right. We should bomb California off the map.
    Isn't California supposed to fall into the ocean anyway? We don't have to bomb shit!
  • Options

dudeman said:

So, it was suggested on AMT to begin a pro-gun thread over here. Well, here it is:

If you have/want guns and you want to talk about it, this thread is for you.

"Glorified G"
    I never shot at a living thing.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,867
    dudeman said:

mickeyrat said:

For those who may think I'm bullshitting. Here's my brothers Department at Nellis. Relates to an incident back in Aug.

https://www.facebook.com/AirForceFES/videos/722431581191439/?pnref=story.unseen-section

Video is of a pilot who was involved in a crash during landing goving a speech to the shift that that saved his life. Basically he ran into the back of another jet that shouldn't have been where it stopped . The jet caught fire and was mangled to the point the pilot could not eject or otherwise egress. 110 seconds for extinguishing the fire and pilot extraction. Brother says in his 32 yr career, he knows of only 3 guys saved from a crash and none but this time was fire involved.

The first thing to determine is how they want the safe to open. There are key locks, combination locks, biometric (hand/fingerprint) and electronic RFID locks off the top of my head.

Most of the electronic ones use a battery (obviously) and have a physical key or combination to use if the electronics fail.

They all offer varying degrees of security and cost but a real life no BS assessment of their household (kids in the home?) is necessary before buying a safe.

They should ask themselves a few questions. Are they both heavy or light sleepers? Do they have a home security alarm system to wake them up? Or a dog?

If they can go from being asleep to suddenly being awake enough to possess fine motor skills in an instant, a physical key or mechanical combination lock would be fine. If not, handprint or RFID keyed locks should be considered.

FWIW, I hope that Ruger never has to come out of whatever safe they choose.

Thank you. Most helpful. Will pass these suggestions on.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Any cool firearm gift for the holidays?? I did not receive any but bought myself some AR magazines from PSA. Still available at a good price if anyone is interested
  • Options
    I got a set of speed loaders and pouches for my S&W Model 29.

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    About time guns were banned in the USA, sick of seeing news reports here in Australia of mass shootings there.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options

Any cool firearm gift for the holidays?? I did not receive any but bought myself some AR magazines from PSA. Still available at a good price if anyone is interested

What are they going for now a days? Also what capacity?
  • Options

They are currently listed at 7.99 plus shipping. After thanksgiving they were 6.99 plus shipping. Just your basic GI metal mags. 30 round standard capacity mags. PMAG prices really haven't changed much
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,867

About time guns were banned in the USA, sick of seeing news reports here in Australia of mass shootings there.

Couple things if I may. While I appreciate the underlieing sentiment to a degree the op was cool enough to take a convo between enthusiasts and create this one, rather than continue in a particular thread on amt.

Can I suggest you refrain from the anti-sentiments here and post them on amt where it is more appropriate to the convo there?

Guns have their place in our society, to what degree may be debateable, but this thread isnt political in nature and is intended for hobbyists.

Please show them the same respect they showed in posting about their hobby here.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

They are currently listed at 7.99 plus shipping. After thanksgiving they were 6.99 plus shipping. Just your basic GI metal mags. 30 round standard capacity mags. PMAG prices really haven't changed much
    http://southeastoutfitters.com/troy-battlemag-30-round/

Another good deal
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Couple things if I may. While I appreciate the underlieing sentiment to a degree the op was cool enough to take a convo between enthusiasts and create this one, rather than continue in a particular thread on amt.

Can I suggest you refrain from the anti-sentiments here and post them on amt where it is more appropriate to the convo there?

Guns have their place in our society, to what degree may be debateable, but this thread isnt political in nature and is intended for hobbyists.

Please show them the same respect they showed in posting about their hobby here.
    Very respectfully put
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,904

Damn I wish these were legal in the communist state of New Jersey.
    Hey how hard is it for everyone to get .22 lr around them?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Thank you, Mickeyrat.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

I can find .22lr but it's still pretty expensive. Bulk packs used to be $15.00, now they are $40-$50.
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I have a cabelas and bass pro near me and they are pretty consistent with their inventory. They don't ration them out anymore and you can still find them on the shelf. I don't know if you can order ammo online where you are at but there are plenty of sites that have 22lr available
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    mickeyrat said:

No worries
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options

Man that's cheap. I remember them getting really expensive at one time.

Anybody out ther have a Steyr AUG?
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I have a few pistols and shotguns. I live in MA so not all manufacturers are allowed to be sold new. Over the years I have acquired:
    Sig Sauer P220 .45
    Para Ordnance P-10 .45
    Glock 23 .40
    Glock 27 .40
    Ruger Speed Six .357
    S&W Bodyguard .380
    Sig Sauer P230 .380
    S&W Airweight .38
    Mossberg 500 12GA shotgun
    Remington 870 12GA

Great to see a pro gun thread on here after all these years.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    youngster said:

I have a few pistols and shotguns. I live in MA so not all manufacturers are allowed to be sold new. Over the years I have acquired:
    Sig Sauer P220 .45
    Para Ordnance P-10 .45
    Glock 23 .40
    Glock 27 .40
    Ruger Speed Six .357
    S&W Bodyguard .380
    Sig Sauer P230 .380
    S&W Airweight .38
    Remington 870 12GA

Not allowed to be sold new??? What does that mean? Im not familiar with your states laws. Does that mean you can by certain manufactures used??
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Not allowed to be sold new??? What does that mean? Im not familiar with your states laws. Does that mean you can by certain manufactures used??

Yeah, the Attorney General has outlawed certain manufacturers from selling new guns in this state. For instance, Glock can't because it doesn't have an external safety. Also new guns have to have an external indicator that there's a round in the chamber. So Colt, Kimber, Glock and quite a few others can't be sold new. If they were manufactured before 1998 they can be sold because that's when the law went into place.

• Options
    youngster said:

Yeah, the Attorney General has outlawed certain manufacturers from selling new guns in this state. For instance, Glock can't because it doesn't have an external safety. Also new guns have to have an external indicator that there's a round in the chamber. So Colt, Kimber, Glock and quite a few others can't be sold new. If they were manufactured before 1998 they can be sold because that's when the law went into place.
    So can you buy those guns used or can you still buy them new online and have them shipped to your FFL??
  • Options

So can you buy those guns used or can you still buy them new online and have them shipped to your FFL??

You can buy guns used if they were manufactured before 1998. They won't allow me to buy guns from other states and have them shipped if they are not on the MA compliant list. There are plenty of gun manufacturers that are sold in this state but also there are quite a few that are not. It sucks but it is what it is.

• Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422

I can`t wait until swimming is banned in Australia I am so sick of hearing about you getting eaten by sharks....Either admit that you are nothing but food or ban swimming.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    lmao
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    i only ever see baby ones
    the big ones are for the
    old farts that are just as
    feisty and gracious as the
    old sharks....
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    TL170678 said:

I can`t wait until swimming is banned in Australia I am so sick of hearing about you getting eaten by sharks....Either admit that you are nothing but food or ban swimming.
    ZING
  • Options
    youngster said:

Sig Sauer P220 .45
    Para Ordnance P-10 .45
    Glock 23 .40
    Glock 27 .40
    Ruger Speed Six .357
    S&W Bodyguard .380
    Sig Sauer P230 .380
    S&W Airweight .38
    Remington 870 12GA

I used to have a Remington 870 but I sold it and bought a Benelli. The Benelli is turning out to be unreliable so now I'm looking for something else. I've been considering a semi-auto but I'm not sure I want to abandon the pump actions. Oh well. Time to hit the gun shops.

Your Sig P220 is a solid contender in the .45 ACP world. I think I'd rather have a P220 than a 1911. Maybe someday.