Options

The Gun Thread

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

My main focus right now is getting some quality 1/2 in AR500 steel targets, and a better deer blind, lol. Too much...stuff! On top of that, it's pheasant season! Such a fun time of year to be an outdoorsman :)

Hey pj power are wild hogs as big a problem in Texas as people say they are? Do you hunt them? If so what do you use?
    My father in laws dream is to hunt white tail in tx with some hog hunting in the side.
    They are all over the place. A couple years ago a survey was done showing they are in every county except maybe one or two. I was out with my bow on the first weekend of whitetail bow season and walked up on a sow that probably weighed 200 lbs. Thank God it didn't catch wind of me and come charging!!! You have to be careful driving at night in some areas as I have seen "herds?" of 40-50 just walking down the middle of the road. They are crazy fun to hunt though and the smaller ones make some tasty sausage :)
    Im actually in the process of buying a DPMS G2 Recon in .308 Im going to put a Leupold vx-3 scope on it but im looking now to find a place for me and 2-3 friends to go hog hunting. Im in Indiana and have been looking at Missouri and Arkansas but most of them limit you to one hog. Does anyone know where there is no limit hog hunting???? I know they are like cochroaches the further south you go but cant find a place to hunt no limit. Also love the fact that there is a pro gun thread now.

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

My main focus right now is getting some quality 1/2 in AR500 steel targets, and a better deer blind, lol. Too much...stuff! On top of that, it's pheasant season! Such a fun time of year to be an outdoorsman :)

Hey pj power are wild hogs as big a problem in Texas as people say they are? Do you hunt them? If so what do you use?
    My father in laws dream is to hunt white tail in tx with some hog hunting in the side.
    They are all over the place. A couple years ago a survey was done showing they are in every county except maybe one or two. I was out with my bow on the first weekend of whitetail bow season and walked up on a sow that probably weighed 200 lbs. Thank God it didn't catch wind of me and come charging!!! You have to be careful driving at night in some areas as I have seen "herds?" of 40-50 just walking down the middle of the road. They are crazy fun to hunt though and the smaller ones make some tasty sausage :)
    Im actually in the process of buying a DPMS G2 Recon in .308 Im going to put a Leupold vx-3 scope on it but im looking now to find a place for me and 2-3 friends to go hog hunting. Im in Indiana and have been looking at Missouri and Arkansas but most of them limit you to one hog. Does anyone know where there is no limit hog hunting???? I know they are like cochroaches the further south you go but cant find a place to hunt no limit. Also love the fact that there is a pro gun thread now.
    Those vx-3s are nice scopes. I am also partial to the Vortex optics. Look into them if you haven't already!
    will do!! I have a Vortex Sparc II red dot that I have nothing but good things to say about.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,905
    let me ask you guys something, the first time you reloaded were you scared shitless to shoot it?
    and how much does a good set up cost? $800?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

let me ask you guys something, the first time you reloaded were you scared shitless to shoot it?

I'm curious about this too.

My buddy took a gunsmithing class and learned to reload. He is gone now soI can't converse with him on this.

• Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    I bought a .40 cal new, it is almost impossible to pull back, I tried to break it in but was tiring. Is this normal for a brand new gun or should I take it back?
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited December 2015
    TL170678 said:

I bought a .40 cal new, it is almost impossible to pull back, I tried to break it in but was tiring. Is this normal for a brand new gun or should I take it back?

One of the key rules with handguns is to get something that you can comfortably operate and handle. They are a little stiff brand new and will become a little easier to operate once the springs and everything are "broken in", but if you're having that much difficulty pulling the slide back... What model is it? Couple suggestions would be to research and make sure you are using the best methods and just practice racking the slide over and over with an empty chamber. If it remains too difficult to operate safely, though, you might want to consider a different model.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,982
    edited December 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

Well, I wasn't scared because I took baby steps and made absolutely sure I had a reduced-power load that was seated correctly so as to not have the bullet touching the rifling lands. That's the key, IMO. Go slow, be careful and attentive to all to the measurements of your handloads.

As for start-up costs, it all depends on where you start. Single-stage presses are pretty cheap but they're slow in producing complete rounds. They complete one operation per handle pull i.e.; sizing, bullet seating and crimping, and the die in the tool head needs to be changed out between jobs. Priming cases and charging with powder are typically done "off press" with those types. These are good for beginners because they are slow and require hands-on attention to every case every step of the way.

Lee and RCBS make good equipment that can be found relatively cheap. RCBS make a kit called "Rockchucker" that comes with all of the tools you need to get started. Last I checked, they cost a few hundred bucks.
    Post edited by dudeman on
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

I'm curious about this too.

My buddy took a gunsmithing class and learned to reload. He is gone now soI can't converse with him on this.

Check into the RCBS Rock Chucker setups if you are reloading rifle cartridges. I think you can get a pretty decent setup for under $500. I was fortunate to have a father and brother show me the ins and outs, but it can be a little frightening the first few times...and should be to an extent. Once you get the hang of it, it is almost meditative though. Just study and research and repeat.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

mcgruff10 said:

Well, I wasn't scared because I took baby steps and made absolutely sure I had a reduced-power load that was seated correctly so as to not have the bullet touching the rifling lands. That's the key, IMO. Go slow, be careful and attentive to all to the measurements of your handholds.

As for start-up costs, it all depends on where you start. Single-stage presses are pretty cheap but they're slow in producing complete rounds. They complete one operation per handle pull i.e.; sizing, bullet seating and crimping and the die in the tool head needs to be changed out between jobs. Priming cases and charging with powder are typically done "off press" with those types. These are good for beginners because they are slow and require hands-on attention to every case every step of the way.

Lee and RCBS make good equipment that can be found relatively cheap. RCBS make a kit called "Rockchucker" that comes with all of the tools you need to get started. Last I checked, they cost a few hundred bucks.
    ^^^ This :)
  • Options
    Progressive presses are much faster, 500-600 rounds per hour isn't uncommon. These typically have a rotating shell plate that aligns the case under each die. On mine, when I pull the handle, four cases are de-primed, sized, re-primed, charged with powder, bullet is seated and case is taper crimped.

Set-up is absolutely critical as you could possibly make a lot of dangerous loads in not much time. I do "quality control" every 5-10 rounds where I weigh powder charge, check seating depth, inspect primer seating and measure neck thickness at the crimp.

These set-ups cost more to get started but can save a ton of time. If you're a high-volume shooter, it's the way to go, IMO.

A good progressive press from Dillon or Hornady can be bought and outfitted for $800.00, probably a little less.
  • Options
    TL170678 said:

I'd say that most larger caliber semi-auto pistols are stiff to operate. The recoil spring has to be very strong for the gun to function with powerful rounds.

PJPOWER has it right in that you have two options: Develop a technique that makes your .40 work for you or find another pistol.

FWIW, if I were looking for a. 40 S&W, I would try to find a Beretta PX4 Storm. It uses a rotating barrel recoil system and that seems to soak up a bit of the muzzle jump and recoil impulse.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    Howdy folks.

I had an unfortunate experience yesterday while out whitetail hunting that left me sick to my stomach. Not because of what happened, but because of what DIDN'T happen. There existed potential for a major accident yesterday, but thankfully, nothing serious happened. We all claim to be experts in our handling of firearms and we hold ourselves in high esteem with how safe our track records are. This is a story on gun safety.

Yesterday I decided to park the truck on the road side and head out to a couple of small willow bluffs a couple hundred yards off the road to see if I could kick up some deer. I exited the vehicle, loaded up the gun (a Remington 30-06 model 700) and made my way to the bluff. As I approached it (keeping in mind the position of the truck, the wind, the horizon and generally taking inventory of my surroundings) two does jumped up and began running away from me. I decided not to shoot. No other deer ran out of that bluff. I headed a couple hundred yards further to the next willow bluff to see what would come of it. As I approached, three whitetail does jumped up and began running away - in the perfect direction to warrant a safe shot. This was the last day of the season, we hadn't seen any bucks worth shooting so I decided to take a healthy doe. I raised my rifle, took aim and (the next series of events took place in a matter of 10 or 15 seconds) squeezed the trigger....nothing happened. I felt a tiny click of the trigger, but not a full click like I should have felt. I lowered my rifle in disbelief and then BANG!! The gun went off. In a state of bewildered shock I stared at the gun, looked where the barrel was pointing (which was towards the deer in a clear view and away from any buildings or vehicles) and saw the deer hadn't been hit. Said a few words, ejected the shell and closed the bolt to load another bullet into the chamber and BANG!!! Gun immediately went off as soon as I closed the bolt. This time the muzzle was pointed in front of me and the bullet hit the dirt 4 feet away from me. Said a few more words, ejected the spent shell and accepted that this hunt was over and done with right then and there. I was not going to put one more bullet into that chamber as the gun was most certainly compromised.

The gun is going to be sent in for repairs.

I want this story to be shared amongst your fellow hunting friends / target shooting friends. It stresses one of the golden rules we all learned in our firearms safety courses. ALWAYS always always keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Guns can and do go off at times which the operator doesn't want them to. Had I carelessly swung the barrel in the direction of the truck (for whatever reason) and that bullet had fired off, the story could've been a tragic one as my Dad was in the truck watching this all go down. He didn't know about the misfires - he was wondering how I missed the deer because I was so close to them when they jumped up! He was smiling as I approached the truck and I was not. I told him what had happened and he went into a state of disbelief, embarrassment, shock and anger (at the gun of course.) We take great care of our guns. We clean and inspect them regularly. This gun is in immaculate condition, but like anything mechanical, problems can arise.

Moral of the story: be slow.... be cautious..... be aware. You are responsible for your own safety.

Thanks for reading.

ps - There is a well-known recall on this gun, of which Remington is only awarding free service to those that live in the U.S.A. - sooooo, because I live in Canada, I'm out of luck. No worries; I'll do it the Canadian way; I'll do it myself with the good people I know in the gunsmith industry.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    Yikes! Glad no one was injured or worse.

Gotta get that X-Mark Pro out of there.

Always good to remind others to be safe. Thanks for that.
  • Options
    Anybody have a ruger 10/22? I m thinking of getting one.
  • Options
    Do it!

I'd like one too. Currently I don't own any semi-auto long guns. The 10/22 seems like a good place to start.

My dad used to have an old one with a Mannlicher stock. I remember it as a thing of beauty.

I also think that CDNN is/was giving 10/22's away with the purchase of some LWRC ARs. Might check it out if you want both.
  • Options
    Cdnn? What s that?
    How is it you don't have any semi auto rifles?!?!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    CDNN is a company that sells guns, ammo and accessories. They are an outlet for a lot of discontinued models and they have great prices.

I buy pistol mags from them.

As for the semi-autos, I guess I haven't found the right one. I don't have many guns, just a couple I bought for home defense and personal protection.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Have two of them. I bought them to start my kids off with shooting. It's great for kids or people to start off shooting. I find myself having a blast with them too. Can go through several hundred rounds very easily. But at least ammo is cheap. They are very accurate with little to no recoil. Definitely worth the money and they seem to last forever
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    Mine is a Marlin .22 Magnum..... Was one of the cheaper magnum 22`s I could find, it is safe for teens I would say, lasted 15 years. Pretty sweet looking too, Silver/black.
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Have two of them. I bought them to start my kids off with shooting. It's great for kids or people to start off shooting. I find myself having a blast with them too. Can go through several hundred rounds very easily. But at least ammo is cheap. They are very accurate with little to no recoil. Definitely worth the money and they seem to last forever
    i might have to buy one this week. they seem fun as hell to shoot. the last semi auto .22 i bought was from 1992 and was discontinued a long time ago.
  • Options
    Do you guys have any recommendations for a reliable semi-auto 12 gauge?

It would be for home defense and the occasional trip to the range. Don't need a slug barrel but replaceable choke tubes would be nice.

So far, the FN SLP, Mossberg 930 SPX and Benelli M4 Tactical are on the short list.

Are there any others I should be considering?
  • Options
    i've shot a browning auto 5 since I was ten (i'm 38). Beautiful/reliable shotgun.
  • Options
    Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. both are rather inexpensive as compared to a Benelli shotgun but have a strong track record for being reliable. Also if you are looking for after market modifications, both have a lot of options
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,867
    dudeman said:

You can't have a pro gun thread in AMT?

:lol:

Shit, fire away

Nope.
    Not true. What was objected to was using a thread titled "America's Gun Violence" to add enthusiast type postings.

Simple fact a Gun Enthusiast thread hasnt been attempted on AMT to my knowledge. So to say you cant is false.

Imo failing to see the distinction speaks volumes.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    ^^^Stalker much?
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    evsgjamm said:

Howdy folks.

I had an unfortunate experience yesterday while out whitetail hunting that left me sick to my stomach. Not because of what happened, but because of what DIDN'T happen. There existed potential for a major accident yesterday, but thankfully, nothing serious happened. We all claim to be experts in our handling of firearms and we hold ourselves in high esteem with how safe our track records are. This is a story on gun safety.

Yesterday I decided to park the truck on the road side and head out to a couple of small willow bluffs a couple hundred yards off the road to see if I could kick up some deer. I exited the vehicle, loaded up the gun (a Remington 30-06 model 700) and made my way to the bluff. As I approached it (keeping in mind the position of the truck, the wind, the horizon and generally taking inventory of my surroundings) two does jumped up and began running away from me. I decided not to shoot. No other deer ran out of that bluff. I headed a couple hundred yards further to the next willow bluff to see what would come of it. As I approached, three whitetail does jumped up and began running away - in the perfect direction to warrant a safe shot. This was the last day of the season, we hadn't seen any bucks worth shooting so I decided to take a healthy doe. I raised my rifle, took aim and (the next series of events took place in a matter of 10 or 15 seconds) squeezed the trigger....nothing happened. I felt a tiny click of the trigger, but not a full click like I should have felt. I lowered my rifle in disbelief and then BANG!! The gun went off. In a state of bewildered shock I stared at the gun, looked where the barrel was pointing (which was towards the deer in a clear view and away from any buildings or vehicles) and saw the deer hadn't been hit. Said a few words, ejected the shell and closed the bolt to load another bullet into the chamber and BANG!!! Gun immediately went off as soon as I closed the bolt. This time the muzzle was pointed in front of me and the bullet hit the dirt 4 feet away from me. Said a few more words, ejected the spent shell and accepted that this hunt was over and done with right then and there. I was not going to put one more bullet into that chamber as the gun was most certainly compromised.

The gun is going to be sent in for repairs.

I want this story to be shared amongst your fellow hunting friends / target shooting friends. It stresses one of the golden rules we all learned in our firearms safety courses. ALWAYS always always keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Guns can and do go off at times which the operator doesn't want them to. Had I carelessly swung the barrel in the direction of the truck (for whatever reason) and that bullet had fired off, the story could've been a tragic one as my Dad was in the truck watching this all go down. He didn't know about the misfires - he was wondering how I missed the deer because I was so close to them when they jumped up! He was smiling as I approached the truck and I was not. I told him what had happened and he went into a state of disbelief, embarrassment, shock and anger (at the gun of course.) We take great care of our guns. We clean and inspect them regularly. This gun is in immaculate condition, but like anything mechanical, problems can arise.

Moral of the story: be slow.... be cautious..... be aware. You are responsible for your own safety.

Thanks for reading.

ps - There is a well-known recall on this gun, of which Remington is only awarding free service to those that live in the U.S.A. - sooooo, because I live in Canada, I'm out of luck. No worries; I'll do it the Canadian way; I'll do it myself with the good people I know in the gunsmith industry.

yeah yikes.
    had something similar happen many years ago
    it was a very cold day & i am sure having my shotgun frozen solid was the reason it went off with the safety ON while ejecting the shells. safety, safety, & all kinds of extra safety

best be bright eyed & bushy tailed out there. probably 90some% of all hunters & target shooters are folks i would never be around when they're using guns. i don't trust just everybody. one's muzzle best be eating dirt or sky & not where i am at

thanks for sharing your story
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Put a coat of blo on my mauser and a coat of tung oil on my garands. Man I love those smells! Brings me right back to my childhood.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,867
    PJPOWER said:

^^^Stalker much?

Excuse me?

I started reading through the thread. Came upon inaccurate or misrepresented info. Gave the correction.

Just how is that stalking? Hmm? On an open forum? That I pay to post in as part of membership here?

Are you saying I'm not allowed here? Hmm?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

dudeman said:

You can't have a pro gun thread in AMT?

:lol:

Shit, fire away

Nope.
    Not true. What was objected to was using a thread titled "America's Gun Violence" to add enthusiast type postings.

Simple fact a Gun Enthusiast thread hasnt been attempted on AMT to my knowledge. So to say you cant is false.

Imo failing to see the distinction speaks volumes.
    I do see the distinction. This isn't a thread about current events or politics so it is here in AET. (I'm pretty sure I addressed this on the first page of this thread if you care to go back and read it.)

Also, you are certainly free and welcome to contribute to this discussion. It's about guns and shooting sports enthusiasts.

Somehow I get the feeling that you just posted here to start shit. That's alright too. I won't judge you.
  • Options

Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. both are rather inexpensive as compared to a Benelli shotgun but have a strong track record for being reliable. Also if you are looking for after market modifications, both have a lot of options

I used to have a Remington 870 but I got rid of it and bought a Benelli pump. I'm having some issues with it so it's having warranty work done on it now. If Benelli can fix it, I'll keep it around because it can handle 2 3/4", 3" and 3 1/2" shells and it has a really smooth action.

I'm thinking about getting a semi-auto as well. In doing research I'm finding pros and cons for just about everything out there.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    edited December 2015
    i dont have one and i dont need one
    at work,when i have shift I am obliged to have it,i carry a Heckler & Koch P7.
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”