Options

The Gun Thread

Comments

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    For sure. It's all about safety and paying close attention to every step is absolutely key. You need to minimize distractions. No TV, friends hanging around, multi-tasking etc..

In addition to getting a reloading manual, I have found books that compile all of the loads from the different manuals into a single caliber publication. These books are a quick reference to cross check the suitability of various powders, bullets and seating depths.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/185458/loadbooks-usa-9mm-luger-reloading-manual

I was able to learn what I needed to know from online forums and lots of reading. Something I came across a lot is to find a recipe for a load, reduce the powder charge in the recipe by 10% and gradually work your way up to a load that functions in your gun while giving you the accuracy you need.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    Wrigley's Spearmint.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    dudeman said:

For sure. It's all about safety and paying close attention to every step is absolutely key. You need to minimize distractions. No TV, friends hanging around, multi-tasking etc..

In addition to getting a reloading manual, I have found books that compile all of the loads from the different manuals into a single caliber publication. These books are a quick reference to cross check the suitability of various powders, bullets and seating depths.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/185458/loadbooks-usa-9mm-luger-reloading-manual

I was able to learn what I needed to know from online forums and lots of reading. Something I came across a lot is to find a recipe for a load, reduce the powder charge in the recipe by 10% and gradually work your way up to a load that functions in your gun while giving you the accuracy you need.

The 10% rule is most definitely advised. Ever toyed with any wildcat rounds? I built a 7.62x40 (Wilson Combat) as my wild boar brush gun. Essentially has the same ballistics as a 30-30, but uses a trimmed and widened 5.56 casing. Great ballistics with the Barnes TSX 110 grains. It has actually become my preferred hunting rifle as of late. Very similar to the 300 Blackout, but designed for the faster bullets.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

The 10% rule is most definitely advised. Ever toyed with any wildcat rounds? I built a 7.62x40 (Wilson Combat) as my wild boar brush gun. Essentially has the same ballistics as a 30-30, but uses a trimmed and widened 5.56 casing. Great ballistics with the Barnes TSX 110 grains. It has actually become my preferred hunting rifle as of late. Very similar to the 300 Blackout, but designed for the faster bullets.
    Very cool! I love talking shop!!!
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

Did you build that on an AR platform? It sounds cool!

I haven't had any experience with wildcat rounds but I'd love to be a part of the testing and evaluation phase.

I'd like to build an AR-10 someday, too. I'd probably go with a piston system instead of DIGS and I'd need to find a chrome-lined, hammer-forged barrel for it. I had the chance to shoot an FN SCAR 17S and it was pretty awesome so I'd like something close to that that I could build myself.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    What s the difference between an ar 10/15? You guys are teaching me a lot!!!! It s amazing how much one doesn't know on a subject!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    AR-10 pattern rifles typically are chambered for the 308 Winchester/7.62x51.

They share basic design principles and features with AR-15's, just scaled up to handle the larger and more-powerful rounds.
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • Options
    dudeman said:

AR-10 pattern rifles typically are chambered for the 308 Winchester/7.62x51.

They share basic design principles and features with AR-15's, just scaled up to handle the larger and more-powerful rounds.

That s an expensive day on the range!!!
  • Options
    Yeah man. Those bigger calibers put the hurt on the wallet in short order.

There is a company, NEMO Arms maybe, that makes an AR-pattern rifle in 300 Win. Mag.. I think it's called the Omen or something. I checked one out at my old LGS. That thing was a beast! Outfitted with a Nightforce NXS optic it cost almost $6,000.00. With factory ammo prices at around $2.00/round, you better have a healthy bank account to take that to the range very often.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Wrigley's Spearmint.

:lol:
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

Have you ever done, bought or heard of the AR-15 conversion kit to make it a single shot 50cal?

I saw this at a gun show and was wondering if anyone actually tried and used it?

Thanks
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

Have you ever done, bought or heard of the AR-15 conversion kit to make it a single shot 50cal?

I saw this at a gun show and was wondering if anyone actually tried and used it?

Thanks
    I have seen that! Crazy what people are designing. I've been eyeballing the 458 SOCOM aka "hog slayer" as a new build/reloading venture. Thing is a beast!
  • Options
    Are there any good rifles out there that are chambered in 9mm?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    The Beretta CX4 carbines seem to be well liked. I think Rock River Arms makes a 9mm chambered AR and the old Marlin Camp 9's are cool.

There are probably replacement uppers and mag well spacers you can get for your M&P, too.

If you look around the used market, you might be able to find any number of AR's chambered for 9mm. Lots of accessory options that way.
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

Thanks
    I have seen that! Crazy what people are designing. I've been eyeballing the 458 SOCOM aka "hog slayer" as a new build/reloading venture. Thing is a beast!
    .458 Socom is a monster! Would you build it with a piston or go with a direct gas impingement system?
  • Options
    dudeman said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

Thanks
    .458 Socom is a monster! Would you build it with a piston or go with a direct gas impingement system?
    I'm definitely partial to piston system vs gas impingement, but the kits I'm eyeballing are gas. Not sure I've run across any piston kits for the .458, but they are probably out there. I want to build it "suppressor ready" for if I ever decided to go that route, so definitely an adjustable gas block... Such an expensive hobby, lol
  • Options
    Yeah, it can be, LOL.

I'm aware of the terminal ballistics of the .458 SOCOM but not so much the internal ballistics. I would imagine that you'd want a slower burning powder to push those heavy bullets but you'd also want to make sure you got a complete burn from a 16" barrel. I could see that being a delicate balance and could possibly lead to excessive carbon fouling. Adjustable gas block would be a must I would think.
  • Options
    My main focus right now is getting some quality 1/2 in AR500 steel targets, and a better deer blind, lol. Too much...stuff! On top of that, it's pheasant season! Such a fun time of year to be an outdoorsman :)
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

My main focus right now is getting some quality 1/2 in AR500 steel targets, and a better deer blind, lol. Too much...stuff! On top of that, it's pheasant season! Such a fun time of year to be an outdoorsman :)

Hey pj power are wild hogs as big a problem in Texas as people say they are? Do you hunt them? If so what do you use?
    My father in laws dream is to hunt white tail in tx with some hog hunting in the side.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

Hey pj power are wild hogs as big a problem in Texas as people say they are? Do you hunt them? If so what do you use?
    My father in laws dream is to hunt white tail in tx with some hog hunting in the side.
    They are all over the place. A couple years ago a survey was done showing they are in every county except maybe one or two. I was out with my bow on the first weekend of whitetail bow season and walked up on a sow that probably weighed 200 lbs. Thank God it didn't catch wind of me and come charging!!! You have to be careful driving at night in some areas as I have seen "herds?" of 40-50 just walking down the middle of the road. They are crazy fun to hunt though and the smaller ones make some tasty sausage :)
  • Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    Stupid gun nutters are a dime a dozen in this country. Any moron with a few bucks can walk into a WalMart and buy one. Whoopie Fucking Do!!
    I can appreciate maybe collecting older guns for the historical value. Like something that pre dates 1900's like something from the Civil War.
    Don't even get me started on hunting with guns. Why? What for? It's cheaper to get a steak from the grocery store. I think hunting should be allowed with bow and arrow only. Any fuck can sit in a deer blind atop a mountain of deer bait and shot an unsuspecting animal.What's the sport in that?
    Seems like cheating too me. It would be more sport to kill the animal with your bare hands!! Lol
    And guns for protection. If this is the case, your doing it wrong. Just some thoughts. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    CH156378 said:

Stupid gun nutters are a dime a dozen in this country. Any moron with a few bucks can walk into a WalMart and buy one. Whoopie Fucking Do!!
    I can appreciate maybe collecting older guns for the historical value. Like something that pre dates 1900's like something from the Civil War.
    Don't even get me started on hunting with guns. Why? What for? It's cheaper to get a steak from the grocery store. I think hunting should be allowed with bow and arrow only. Any fuck can sit in a deer blind atop a mountain of deer bait and shot an unsuspecting animal.What's the sport in that?
    Seems like cheating too me. It would be more sport to kill the animal with your bare hands!! Lol
    And guns for protection. If this is the case, your doing it wrong. Just some thoughts. :)

It seems more humane to me to shoot a deer that has been able to roam free than buy a steak from Wal Mart that came from a feed lot. It's also funny how the same people that complain about wild game hunting are the ones that complain about GMO and steroids in their meat. I do hunt with a bow a lot, but let me tell you, animals usually suffer a lot more when hit by an arrow compared to a bullet. It is not just a sport, it is a way of life...and most hunters I know value the lives of the meat they consume way more than someone that buys a prepackaged preservative laced T-Bone from WalFart. On that note, I also garden and grow my own "organic" vegetables. Do you think that should be outlawed as well? Stupid anti-gun nutters are a dime a dozen as well.
    Thanks for your opinion, though, really...now go drink a kale smoothie and keep on supporting those corporate food distributors that you (assumed) left wing eccentric "nuts" speak so highly of. Go ahead and get your last word in now (I know you will) and I'll continue discussing the big bad boogie man with my fellow gun enthusiast pals.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    CH156378 said:

Well, at least we made it to Page 2.

FFS
  • Options
    dudeman said:

CH156378 said:

FFS
    Right! Lol, I seriously doubted this thread would make it past page one without someone getting crazy butt hurt about the topic.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

CH156378 said:

FFS
    Right! Lol, I seriously doubted this thread would make it past page one without someone getting crazy butt hurt about the topic.
    Everyone should make a pact to NOT ENGAGE THEM!!!
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

They are all over the place. A couple years ago a survey was done showing they are in every county except maybe one or two. I was out with my bow on the first weekend of whitetail bow season and walked up on a sow that probably weighed 200 lbs. Thank God it didn't catch wind of me and come charging!!! You have to be careful driving at night in some areas as I have seen "herds?" of 40-50 just walking down the middle of the road. They are crazy fun to hunt though and the smaller ones make some tasty sausage :)
    Im actually in the process of buying a DPMS G2 Recon in .308 Im going to put a Leupold vx-3 scope on it but im looking now to find a place for me and 2-3 friends to go hog hunting. Im in Indiana and have been looking at Missouri and Arkansas but most of them limit you to one hog. Does anyone know where there is no limit hog hunting???? I know they are like cochroaches the further south you go but cant find a place to hunt no limit. Also love the fact that there is a pro gun thread now.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

Thanks
    I'm definitely partial to piston system vs gas impingement, but the kits I'm eyeballing are gas. Not sure I've run across any piston kits for the .458, but they are probably out there. I want to build it "suppressor ready" for if I ever decided to go that route, so definitely an adjustable gas block... Such an expensive hobby, lol
    You're delving into class 3 territory are you not?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Are there any good rifles out there that are chambered in 9mm?

CZ Scorpion EVO. Check it out, it has a lot of great reviews on it.
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

Thanks
    You're delving into class 3 territory are you not?
    Exactly, I keep hoping they will just take suppressors out of the class 3 category. In other countries they require them due to noise ordinances, but here it is another one of those reficulous "feel better laws".
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

Im actually in the process of buying a DPMS G2 Recon in .308 Im going to put a Leupold vx-3 scope on it but im looking now to find a place for me and 2-3 friends to go hog hunting. Im in Indiana and have been looking at Missouri and Arkansas but most of them limit you to one hog. Does anyone know where there is no limit hog hunting???? I know they are like cochroaches the further south you go but cant find a place to hunt no limit. Also love the fact that there is a pro gun thread now.

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

Those vx-3s are nice scopes. I am also partial to the Vortex optics. Look into them if you haven't already!