Options

The Gun Thread

Comments

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Both usually compared against each other,Espescially for law enforcement.Very similar in style.I like how the Springfield fits my palm better.
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,329
    Any advice on trading in a shotgun? I currently own a Mossberg 50359 (.410 Home Security) and want to change to a Taurus Judge Public Defender (.410 and/or .45 long colt pistol). I haven't looked into selling it myself...the thought terrifies me. I'd rather bring it in to a shop. Any idea how they figure out trade in value?
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,982
    They will typically give you around half of what you would get selling it by yourself.

If you decide to sell it yourself, I would advise going through a FFL dealer and have them do the transfer. The buyer will have to fill out a form 4473 and pass a NICS screen.

This way you can get paid a little more and you can be certain that the buyer is legally allowed to own guns.

Good luck!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110

Any advice on trading in a shotgun? I currently own a Mossberg 50359 (.410 Home Security) and want to change to a Taurus Judge Public Defender (.410 and/or .45 long colt pistol). I haven't looked into selling it myself...the thought terrifies me. I'd rather bring it in to a shop. Any idea how they figure out trade in value?

I'm not sure how they would figure out the price to buy it from you. I imagine it's much like anything else for resell. A price high enough to make you want to sell, but a price low enough that they can make money on the resell. You can look up its value though and let that help determine if they give you a good price for it. The following site says a fair condition value is $175 and a very good condition value is $300 for your Mossberg.

http://www.firearmspriceguide.com/guns/search/mossberg/orderby/caliber/desc/120
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Both usually compared against each other,Espescially for law enforcement.Very similar in style.I like how the Springfield fits my palm better.

Springfield got it right with the XD, XDM and XDs.
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,329
    @markymark550 @dudeman .Very helpful, thank you!
  • Options
    Good luck with the sale!
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    do you have your own fire range on your property, and perhaps a tennis court and a swimming pool too since you can afford to collect guns
  • Options
    My last home in Michigan had a shooting range. Now I live in Florida. My new home doesn't have a range but my front yard is the Atlantic Ocean. I call that a decent trade.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

My last home in Michigan had a shooting range. Now I live in Florida. My new home doesn't have a range but my front yard is the Atlantic Ocean. I call that a decent trade.

I'd rather have the shooting range :lol:

Give me the mountains any day! Plus, in the mountains (at least where I go), you can target shoot and nobody cares at all.
  • Options

@markymark550 @dudeman .Very helpful, thank you!

No problem. Good luck, hope you get a good price.
  • Options

dudeman said:

I'd rather have the shooting range :lol:

Give me the mountains any day! Plus, in the mountains (at least where I go), you can target shoot and nobody cares at all.
    I'm looking into buying some property farther inland. Might build another house and I'll probably build another range there.
  • Options
    Anyone ever order ammo from ammoman.com?? Just ordered 500 rounds of .308. Great prices just curious if anyone has used this site
  • Options
    Haven't used them. How are their shipping rates?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,904
    I actually just bought a bucket of 1400 rounds of .22 lr for $89 at dick s. I couldn't believe they actually had .22 lr!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dudeman said:

Haven't used them. How are their shipping rates?

Free shipping no taxes
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I actually just bought a bucket of 1400 rounds of .22 lr for $89 at dick s. I couldn't believe they actually had .22 lr!

I need to pick up some. 22lr.

My .22 pistol came back from the manufacturer today. They did a complete restoration and reblue.

It's 65 years old but it looks and feels like brand new.
  • Options
    Anyone have a hook up for a hog hunt? Or any recommendations. Looking to do a hog hunt this year.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,904

Anyone have a hook up for a hog hunt? Or any recommendations. Looking to do a hog hunt this year.

i'd love to do that! what's the best place, texas?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Have any of you guys used Smith and Wesson for repairs or refinishing services?

I have an old Model 29 that I'd like to have restored.
  • Options
    Stickman12Stickman12 Posts: 504
    So I just ordered a blemished complete moe lower and an upper without a bcg or charging handle from Palmetto State Armory for $427 shipped. Have an extra bcg and charging handle to through in there. Can't believe the deals you can get on PSA. A complete AR for under $500. Just throwing this out there for anyone in the market
  • Options
    You in live in SC or just happened to come across the PSA site? Bought my XDS at one of the PSA locations in Columbia. They do have some good deals though. It took every ounce of restraint I had to not buy a second one - was looking at a .22 revolver to just plink around with.
  • Options

You in live in SC or just happened to come across the PSA site? Bought my XDS at one of the PSA locations in Columbia. They do have some good deals though. It took every ounce of restraint I had to not buy a second one - was looking at a .22 revolver to just plink around with.

Im located in Indiana. Ive bought some stuff through them before online like magazines and other accessories. This is the first time I bought a firearm from them. Its real hard to find a negative review online or on youtube. Their prices are hard to beat.
  • Options

Im located in Indiana. Ive bought some stuff through them before online like magazines and other accessories. This is the first time I bought a firearm from them. Its real hard to find a negative review online or on youtube. Their prices are hard to beat.
    Interesting. I didn't realize they had that far a reach outside of SC. I think they're a 3 or 4 store operation in addition to the website. I guess if the deals are good enough, you'll be found.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited March 2016
    dudeman said:

As Floridians we must choose.Take the beach every time.You can always shoot out west in the sticks(I'm in Jupiter,and def cannot shoot at out beach,lol)Turtle cops will get ya.quick
  • Options
    I'm glad to accept the beach over the shooting range. There are plenty of nice, clean, air conditioned indoor ranges close to me. No snakes at those places!

I spent a lot of time in Jupiter over the past few years. We lived in Palm Beach Gardens until last year. It's a beautiful area but getting too crowded for us.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

I'm glad to accept the beach over the shooting range. There are plenty of nice, clean, air conditioned indoor ranges close to me. No snakes at those places!

I spent a lot of time in Jupiter over the past few years. We lived in Palm Beach Gardens until last year. It's a beautiful area but getting too crowded for us.

No snakes would be a requirement for me
  • Options
    You guys don't like snakes? Just sounds like target practice to me!
  • Options
    I don't have a huge fear of snakes or anything but I would rather not have one coiled around my legs while handling firearms.

There is an outfit that operates in the Everglades that hunts Burmese Pythons. You can fly around in a helicopter and shoot as many as you see. I'm not big on killing but it might be good for someone who likes to hunt.
  • Options
    I had the opportunity to check out a Smith and Wesson 500 mag the other day. Unbelievable amount of muzzle blast and recoil. At $4.00-5.00 per round, I don't see myself ever owning one but it sure is impressive how much power they were able to pack into that design.