Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,758
    edited October 2016

Was reading the Calgary cop piece Dignin submitted in the cop abuse thread and directly underneath it was this little bit about some scumbag getting five years for repeatedly raping and tormenting an 11 year old.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/christopher-butt-sexual-assault-rape-1.3792748

Five years.

F**king scumbag child molester needs death actually. Canada's justice system which is defended so vociferously here by some has... yet again... proven to be soft. Pathetic actually.

The stream of nonsense never ends.

F**k. Ing. Soft.

There are people here who have vociferously defended the sentences given in the Canadian justice system????? Who did that? They'd have to be nuts. I don't know anyone who would do such a thing. I actually only recall people complaining about that in this thread, but maybe I forgot something.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Was reading the Calgary cop piece Dignin submitted in the cop abuse thread and directly underneath it was this little bit about some scumbag getting five years for repeatedly raping and tormenting an 11 year old.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/christopher-butt-sexual-assault-rape-1.3792748

Five years.

F**king scumbag child molester needs death actually. Canada's justice system which is defended so vociferously here by some has... yet again... proven to be soft. Pathetic actually.

F**k. Ing. Soft.

There are people here who have vociferously defended the sentences given in the Canadian justice system????? Who did that? They'd have to be nuts. I don't know anyone who would do such a thing. I actually only recall people complaining about that in this thread, but maybe I forgot something.
    Oh yes.

There are people who have come on here and stated that these brutally soft sentences are merely outliers and that for the most part... our legal system has really got things figured out.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Justice William Goodridge handed down the sentence — the minimum allowed under the Criminal Code.

Nice one, Billybob!

She was only 11. Feared for her life and so violently raped that she couldn't wash or sit down. Billybob empathizes with the rapist- citing his past. Poor poor rapist.

He should be removed from the bench.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Five years.

F**k. Ing. Soft.

Oh yes.

There are people who have come on here and stated that these brutally soft sentences are merely outliers and that for the most part... our legal system has really got things figured out.
    To me that absolutely does not equate to defending the terrible sentences though. They obviously don't like it when the sentences are inappropriate short, and would like that stopped just as much as you and I would. They simply acknowledge that sometimes the sentences are appropriate, which is also true if you check out the statistics. That doesn't minimize the many atrocious stories that we can dig up. Why not just make your good point without misrepresenting someone else's perspective on the issue?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Five years.

F**k. Ing. Soft.

Oh yes.

To me that absolutely does not equate to defending the terrible sentences though. They obviously don't like it when the sentences are inappropriate short, and would like that stopped just as much as you and I would. They simply acknowledge that sometimes the sentences are appropriate, which is also true if you check out the statistics. That doesn't minimize the many atrocious stories that we can dig up. Why not just make your good point without misrepresenting someone else's perspective on the issue?
    Because that was the point made. I haven't misrepresented anything (you're going on again about this notion).
  • Options
    Am I? I actually was not aware that I had an ongoing notion about you and misrepresenting what others say. I haven't painted you with that brush. If I've said that to you before, I assure you it was based on that particular conversation and not others before it, just like now.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,099
    PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Any discussion on the idiots in Montreal banning pitbulls?

I don't think there are very many people around here who are from Quebec ... the has been plenty of national coverage, but not terribly in depth coverage. The ban has been suspended by a judge temporarily though. No idea how long that is supposed to last or what's possibly going to happen during that suspension. But it's not like this is a Canadian first. There are a lot of cities/municipalities across the country that have their own bans or restrictions on pitbulls. It's big news this time because it's such a major population centre, but also because it seems they took it a step too far this time as far as enforcement goes (let alone the general controversy around the issue that we all know about).
    winnipeg banned pitbulls nearly 30 years ago.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Any discussion on the idiots in Montreal banning pitbulls?

I don't think there are very many people around here who are from Quebec ... the has been plenty of national coverage, but not terribly in depth coverage. The ban has been suspended by a judge temporarily though. No idea how long that is supposed to last or what's possibly going to happen during that suspension. But it's not like this is a Canadian first. There are a lot of cities/municipalities across the country that have their own bans or restrictions on pitbulls. It's big news this time because it's such a major population centre, but also because it seems they took it a step too far this time as far as enforcement goes (let alone the general controversy around the issue that we all know about).
    winnipeg banned pitbulls nearly 30 years ago.
    Yup. Here are all the places where there are bans or restrictions in Canada. http://www.banpitbulls.org/where/where-are-pit-bulls-banned-in-canada/
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Five years.

F**k. Ing. Soft.

Oh yes.

Because that was the point made. I haven't misrepresented anything (you're going on again about this notion).
    soft sentences are a problem, yes. but I don't believe they are the norm. that's the shit that gets reported. what doesn't get reported is the 99% of sentences that are in line with the crime.

much like muslims and terrorism.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    people petitioning in Winnipeg to get pitbull ban overturned.

The chief operating officer with Animal Services, Lelan Gordon, said education and enforcement isn't the answer.

"The idea that people who are not responsible pet owners would get pit bulls and suddenly become very responsible [and] want to follow our laws, and would appear in court, and be held accountable, it's not very believable."

Gordon said he is sympathetic to people raising the issue of repealing the pit bull ban but adds the laws are about more than just protecting people.

He said it's about protecting the breed from irresponsible owners who may want the breed for inhumane reasons.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2016
    How stupid. It`s a done deal in Winnipeg, and it seems to have worked fine. Why in the hell would people petition for that? They just HAVE to have a pit bull even though they are controversial and known to attack and to appeal to those who shouldn't own them?? FFS, where pit bulls aren't banned there is one other thing that is always there: the need for pit bull rescues. This is fucking ridiculous. Don't those people have anything better to do?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I don't know anything about the Winnipeg legislation. Curious how they handled the issue of defining the breed.
    As for why people would push for the ability to own one...well...my extended family, from the time I was a toddler to today, have owned 5 different boxers. Every single one of them was a great, great pet. The only time I ever saw even a slight hint of aggression from any of them was when their territory was threatened. Once on my sister's ranch when a bunch of coyotes were going after her smaller dog just outside their house. The boxer tried to confront all of them. A huge display of loyalty that would have gotten him killed if no one knew what was happening. The other time was when an Irish setter ran into my uncle's yard and startled his dog (obviously running loose). The dogs fought for about 10 seconds and the setter was on its way, a little roughed up. In both instances, the boxer wasnt at fault and actually could have prevented an even worse situation. Zero problems with any of them otherwise. If this was my experience growing up with say, staffies, I would probably be pissed that I couldn't own one.
    And depending how the legislation is written, my fav breed might be banned as well.
    But hey, I'm just telling stories about the ar-15 under my pillow like any gun nut.
    (Thirty - how many times have you had to tell a 'gun nut' that traffic fatalities have nothing to do with gun fatalities? Why does your red herring fallacy work here and not for the gun nuts?)
  • Options
    Yeah, I understand that some people have a favorite breed of dog. But the thing is.... who gives a shit if said breed is causing problems? Find a new favorite breed.
  • Options
    Because it isn't the breed, it's the owners. Is this where I sound like a gun nut? I don't know anymore.
    These bans are collective punishment and prohibition at their core. Telling me I can't choose a pet that is virtually indistinguishable from my neighbour's pet (not a fucking cougar), is undue government interference in my life. (Is this where I sound right wing?). Call me melodramatic if you want, but to me it is what it is. Regulate the hell out of every aspect of breeding, ownership, licensing/registration, whatever (yay! Leftist again!). ...an outright ban is contrary to my beliefs on several levels. There has got to be a better way.

• Options

Because it isn't the breed, it's the owners. Is this where I sound like a gun nut? I don't know anymore.
    These bans are collective punishment and prohibition at their core. Telling me I can't choose a pet that is virtually indistinguishable from my neighbour's pet (not a fucking cougar), is undue government interference in my life. (Is this where I sound right wing?). Call me melodramatic if you want, but to me it is what it is. Regulate the hell out of every aspect of breeding, ownership, licensing/registration, whatever (yay! Leftist again!). ...an outright ban is contrary to my beliefs on several levels. There has got to be a better way.

There is a line drawn for virtually everything (speed limits, etc.) that has the public's safety and welfare in mind. Not all lines are where they need to be.

Many kids' faces and people's pets are testimony to the fact that pitbulls can be very dangerous. Yes. Duh. They can be raised correctly. The point missed here is that many idiots get the dogs with no clue on how to raise them and inevitably... unfortunate people cross paths with the loser's powerful dog and get mauled with the owner simply and unapologetically shrugging his shoulders.

The government represents the people. If the people wish for safer streets and don't want to be confronted by pitbulls given the unpredictability of them... then so be it.

* Why not a cougar? If raised correctly... they are loving and faithful animals. Have you ever seen lions rescued, rehabilitated, returned to the wild, and reunited with their trainers? How loving and playful they are? Is it because that animal is too far over the line from your perspective? Fair enough. I agree. However, I also think pitbulls are too far over the line.
  • Options

Lol, yeah, I suppose you do sound like a gun nut. ;) I know it's the owners, but nothing is going to stop them. Period. Logic tells me that banning the breed is the only viable option.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, I understand that some people have a favorite breed of dog. But the thing is.... who gives a shit if said breed is causing problems? Find a new favorite breed.

Yes.

Is a pitbull the only dog that can make one happy? Why is that?

I know the clipped ears, thick rope leashes and studded collars make for a pretty impressive sight, but there are a lot of dogs that carry much less risk even with poor owners and make great companions as well.

For people that live in the country... I couldn't imagine any ban at all and wouldn't support one. Those people have the time, space, and need for a working dog. For the townhouse yuppie or basement suite dope dealer in the middle of a massive urban center... a pitbull is unnecessary given there are many other options available.

And truthfully, there are other breeds as bad or worse all things being equal with the same poor ownership and limited freedom afforded to them.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited October 2016
    She wants to go to a single-payer plan, which would be a disaster, somewhat similar to Canada. And if you haven't noticed the Canadians, when they need a big operation, when something happens, they come into the United States in many cases because their system is so slow. It's catastrophic in certain ways.”
    Well healthcare Canadians what say you?
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/trump-says-canada-s-slow-health-care-system-is-catastrophic-1.3109001?google_editors_picks=true
  • Options

again:

He said it's about protecting the breed from irresponsible owners who may want the breed for inhumane reasons.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

again:

How is a BAN protecting them?
    If every district bans them, what is the end result for the breed?

My gf and I have been considering getting a dog. We're leaning toward a Siberian husky if we decide to proceed....
    But I'm really concerned what you'd all think of me if that's the breed we choose...?
    How big would you think my dick was?
    Would I look tough or like I was compensating?
    Do I need to start growing a mullet now, or shouldni buy a tap out shirt and some bling?
    Or are huskies acceptable? I don't know.
    Please let me know how you all would judge me for choosing a non-lap dog.

• Options

again:

My gf and I have been considering getting a dog. We're leaning toward a Siberian husky if we decide to proceed....
    But I'm really concerned what you'd all think of me if that's the breed we choose...?
    Do I need to start growing a mullet now, or shouldni buy a tap out shirt and some bling?

Do you live in a remote area? If so... this might be a great choice.

Those dogs need lots of room to run and can be very protective of their owners- so other dogs and in some cases... people... might be at risk if the dog perceives anything to be a threat; however, as I said... with ample space... the selection might be a great one.

If your plan is to take the dog for a good walk 30 minutes each day and think that suffices for its needs... maybe not a great choice (I'm not saying that is your plan). It's not fair to the dog.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304

again:

You should totally get a Tap Out shirt.
  • Options

again:

a ban protects them from being purchased for the purpose of agression and possible death by other agressive dog.

I don't honestly judge people for the type of dog they want. sure, jokes are said here and there (like someone who feels the need to own a tank of a truck on 6 foot tires), but beyond that, I couldn't care less.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:

again:

maybe some zubaz pants to complete the outfit.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

again:

In all seriousness...

Once we get the kids out of the house (one's in university right now), the plan is to move outside of city limits to a place where we don't have a neighbour within shouting distance (close to my favourite golf course as well). When we make that move, we will also have the time to train a dog correctly.

This dog would be of the larger and stronger variety.
  • Options

again:

Do you live in a remote area? If so... this might be a great choice.

Those dogs need lots of room to run and can be very protective of their owners- so other dogs and in some cases... people... might be at risk if the dog perceives anything to be a threat; however, as I said... with ample space... the selection might be a great one.

If your plan is to take the dog for a good walk 30 minutes each day and think that suffices for its needs... maybe not a great choice (I'm not saying that is your plan). It's not fair to the dog.
    I live in a suburban house with a decent sized yard.
    Your concerns are all part of the deliberations we're having.
    Whether building a dog run in our yard is feasible. What needs to be done to train it well enough to run free at off-leash parks because a short, slow walk won't suffice. What we can do to socialize it. Ensuring our circumstances will continue to allow us to come home on lunch breaks, and that our kids are on board with being home after school to care for it etc, so that it's not home alone for 10 hours a day. Not taking the decision lightly.
    If. if necessary, we will adjust our choice of breed based on whether we can provide the dog a good life. I've wanted a dog since I left home 24 years ago, away from the dog I grew up with. But I haven't taken the plunge because I'm fully aware of the responsibility and the life I've been able to provide the dog. With five of the six people in our house physically and mentally able to chip in now, it might be feasible. Jury is still out.
    But I'm sure you know I was being facetious...it's not anyone's business unless there's a problem. Which i know is hard to swallow - it sucks not being able to impose strict preventative measures over every potential issue (nerf the world!)...but like I've already said, I'm ok with regulations that check criminal records, preparedness etc...those are still preventative measures.
  • Options

again:

In all seriousness...

Once we get the kids out of the house (one's in university right now), the plan is to move outside of city limits to a place where we don't have a neighbour within shouting distance (close to my favourite golf course as well). When we make that move, we will also have the time to train a dog correctly.

Not to throw your full disclosure in your face( I appreciate your candor...but you know this begs the question...
    Why a big, strong breed? What's the attraction to a large breed when there is still a risk of something going wrong? Isn't that a big component of your argument?
  • Options
    dignin said:

again:

:lol:
    I'd rather be fed to Ramsay Bolton's hounds.
  • Options

again:

In all seriousness...

Not to throw your full disclosure in your face( I appreciate your candor...but you know this begs the question...
    Why a big, strong breed? What's the attraction to a large breed when there is still a risk of something going wrong? Isn't that a big component of your argument?
    The area we are moving to is off the beaten track. I think having a larger dog for companionship on walks through the forest is a good idea. I've always maintained that in certain areas, some dogs are very appropriate (I did so very recently in one of my last posts in this thread). I have no problem with RG and his pit bulls given his rural setting.

* In Montreal, pit bulls made up roughly 5% of the registered dogs, while accounting for a third of the dog attacks. Why is this?