Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,117
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,762
    edited September 2016
    Are we supposed to be mad or glad? I would think that this kind of thing could be a first step in dealing with the extremist problem, but only if Trudeau is aware of this connection and consciously hoping to do something about it somehow. If he's not, then it's most likely that his advisors are doing a really shitty job by choosing a mosque for him to visit without vetting it properly. I seriously doubt that he knew about these ties and just shrugged them off and pretended everything is okay as the person quoted in the article suggests.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Interesting
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,117
    PJ_Soul said:

Are we supposed to be mad or glad? I would think that this kind of thing could be a first step in dealing with the extremist problem, but only if Trudeau is aware of this connection and consciously hoping to do something about it somehow. If he's not, then it's most likely that his advisors are doing a really shitty job by choosing a mosque for him to visit without vetting it properly. I seriously doubt that he knew about these ties and just shrugged them off and pretended everything is okay as the person quoted in the article suggests.
    not sure. just posted it for information. I'm quite surprised, TBH. I'd like to know if he knew, and if he did, why visit it? to bridge the extremist gap, as you said, or another reason?

if he didn't know, as you said, that was a big faux pas on the part of CSIS.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Doug Ford promises ‘there’s no politician safe’ from being exposed in new tell-all book

http://news.nationalpost.com/toronto/doug-ford-promises-political-and-media-names-will-be-named-in-new-tell-all-book
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

not sure. just posted it for information. I'm quite surprised, TBH. I'd like to know if he knew, and if he did, why visit it? to bridge the extremist gap, as you said, or another reason?

if he didn't know, as you said, that was a big faux pas on the part of CSIS.
    I did a quick google search and all that came up for me was the sun newspapers ... so not really sure if this just typical of the sun, taking a non story and making a story of it. In this case I'm going to have to trust that the PMO office did its job...but who really knows these days.

• Options
    Alberta puts $15 hour minimum wage in regulations for 2018

The province estimates that 305,000 employed Albertans earn less than $15 an hour

Dean Bennett - The Canadian Press

• Options
    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau planning to approve at least one pipeline, with Kinder Morgan’s Trans Mountain in the lead

http://business.financialpost.com/news/energy/prime-minister-justin-trudeau-planning-to-approve-at-least-one-pipeline-with-kinder-morgans-trans-mountain-in-the-lead?__lsa=53be-aaf6

• Options
    Definitely don't support that Trans Mountain pipeline. Just about everyone in BC opposes it. It would literally run right through my own neighborhood too. But it's not a "not in my neighborhood" position on my part - I don't think any new pipelines should be built. That money and effort should be going towards investing in new renewable energy sources and technologies, and just maintaining the existing pipelines.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Transport Minister Marc Garneau appears lukewarm on high speed train through Southwestern Ontario

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2016/09/14/transport-minister-marc-garneau-appears-lukewarm-on-high-speed-train-through-southwestern-ontario

• Options
    edited September 2016
    lukin2006 said:

Transport Minister Marc Garneau appears lukewarm on high speed train through Southwestern Ontario

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2016/09/14/transport-minister-marc-garneau-appears-lukewarm-on-high-speed-train-through-southwestern-ontario

Now that I can get on board with, but all the way across Canada please! It would be amazing to have one of those insanely fast bullet trains running from the West coast to the East coast! Say parallel to the TransCanada Hwy.... only if it's cheap to ride of course, lol. The only reason I'd do it is if it was way way cheaper than flying. And done responsibly, obviously, using clean energy.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Now that I can get on board with, but all the way across Canada please! It would be amazing to have one of those insanely fast bullet trains running from the West coast to the East coast! Say parallel to the TransCanada Hwy.... only if it's cheap to ride of course, lol. The only reason I'd do it is if it was way way cheaper than flying. And done responsibly, obviously, using clean energy.
    That'd be a great infrastructure project.

• Options
    Peter Sankoff on the Travis Vader verdict: Canada’s zombie laws finally bite

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/peter-sankoff-on-the-travis-vader-verdict-canadas-zombie-laws-finally-bite

Interesting if article and author is correct, hoping he is incorrect...

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Post edited by lukin2006 on

• Options
    Kevin Libin: It turns out shockingly few workers will benefit from the steeper CPP we’re all forced to pay

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/kevin-libin-it-turns-out-shockingly-few-workers-will-benefit-from-the-steeper-cpp-were-all-forced-to-pay

wouldn't surprise me, seems like more of a tax grab.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Kelly McParland: China’s autocrats find a new friend in Ottawa

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/kelly-mcparland-chinas-autocrats-find-a-new-friend-in-ottawa

Free Trade with China, extradition treaty? Hmmm...
    Post edited by lukin2006 on

• Options
    Ontario cancels plans for more green energy; citing strong supply of electricity

http://globalnews.ca/news/2966130/ontario-cancels-plans-for-more-green-energy-has-strong-supply-of-electricity/

More lies, we've had excess energy for a while, the liberals here are getting walloped in every poll and with the most unpopular premier at the helm of the ship...this is politically motivated. Far too many people becoming energy poor.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    lukin2006 said:

Ontario cancels plans for more green energy; citing strong supply of electricity

http://globalnews.ca/news/2966130/ontario-cancels-plans-for-more-green-energy-has-strong-supply-of-electricity/

More lies, we've had excess energy for a while, the liberals here are getting walloped in every poll and with the most unpopular premier at the helm of the ship...this is politically motivated. Far too many people becoming energy poor.

Isn't the issue infrastructure in Ontario, not actual supply? I.e., there is more than enough energy, but they've dropped the ball on making sure it gets to everyone affordably because they basically haven't advanced their grid adequately?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Isn't the issue infrastructure in Ontario, not actual supply? I.e., there is more than enough energy, but they've dropped the ball on making sure it gets to everyone affordably because they basically haven't advanced their grid adequately?
    hydro bill increases are due to 2 primary factors ... inflation and nuclear ... the cost to maintain our nuclear power plants is crazy ... in fact, much of our provincial debt can be tied into our nuclear power plants ... most people do not understand the issue at all ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

hydro bill increases are due to 2 primary factors ... inflation and nuclear ... the cost to maintain our nuclear power plants is crazy ... in fact, much of our provincial debt can be tied into our nuclear power plants ... most people do not understand the issue at all ...
    I guess the media should report on it better then, because that should be a big issue. The future and viability of nuclear power is something the country should be thinking about, but that's tough when no one is bothering to bring any attention to it.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

I guess the media should report on it better then, because that should be a big issue. The future and viability of nuclear power is something the country should be thinking about, but that's tough when no one is bothering to bring any attention to it.
    the narratives are pushed by ideologies and agendas ... we don't have any objectivity anymore ...
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

polaris_x said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

You could be right about that, it seems every time a reporter picks up a story about some folks getting walloped with high bills they seem to be in more rural areas. I myself have never been wack with a bill over 140, but the wife and I try to be energy conscious and probably only used the ac maybe 10-11 days this summer which was very warm and humid...

A few weeks back the energy minister (I believe he was the minister who was discussing) had stated "that people needs to be manage their own hydro as well" and I agreed, the days of running your air 24/7 will get you a high hydro bill, so no doubt you have to conserve.

There is plenty of blame to go around, probably no political party can escape blame, al three parties have had a crack at it, and yes Polaris is correct that the nuclear plants are a problematic expense, surprised Harris wasn't brought up, Harris broke up the small local utility companies and I've read that this just made matters worse.

I guess the real question is should we look at retiring our nuclear plants? And if we do, what do we replace them with? Bring in power from Quebec/Manitoba...not even sure it's possible...the nuclear plants generate a lot of power, can wind and solar replace the nuclear power.

Yesterday's announcement but politically motivated, the liberals lost a safe seat in a by-election not that long ago, so they are in a fight for their to retain power. For the record, neither the opposition Tories or the NDP have solution either...if they do there not saying, my guess they have no solution.

Best advice I can give is to conserve...and that's a good thing anyways, because energy cost are not getting cheaper.

• Options
    Federal Liberals approve Petronas LNG project in B.C. — with numerous conditions

http://business.financialpost.com/news/energy/ottawa-to-make-petronas-lng-announcement-tuesday-local-chiefs-say?__lsa=53dd-b726

It will be one of the largest emitters carbon in Canada...

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Environmentalists 'expected better' of Trudeau as Canada backs gas project

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/28/canada-pacific-northwest-lng-natural-gas-pipeline-british-columbia

• Options
    B.C. LNG project the latest Harper scheme to win Liberal nod

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/terry-milewski-lng-trudeau-harper-1.3782397

Yup never so true, now what, next election it'll be ABC or ABL..maybe the NDP and May will get a crack at running the country next...

• Options
    lukin2006 said:
    I don't know where the environmentalists got that idea. I'm not in favour of the project given the analysis of the environmental impact report, but not once did it ever cross my mind that it wouldn't happen. It was VERY clear, at least to any logical British Columbian, that this was already a done deal at least 2 years ago. All these public consultations and everything are just a snow job (which we're used to here - that's how they get everything that's controversial done in this province). Anyone who thought Trudeau might stop it was basically delusional.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:
    I don't know where the environmentalists got that idea. I'm not in favour of the project given the analysis of the environmental impact report, but not once did it ever cross my mind that it wouldn't happen. It was VERY clear, at least to any logical British Columbian, that this was already a done deal at least 2 years ago. All these public consultations and everything are just a snow job (which we're used to here - that's how they get everything that's controversial done in this province). Anyone who thought Trudeau might stop it was basically delusional.
    I never thought he'd stop it, but don't kid yourself an awful lot of people fell for that ABC shit, when in reality at the federal level it'll likely always be either liberal or cons running the country just the way it is....meet the new boss same as the old I guess. I suspect in due time energy east will be approved, his job rides on the economy not tanking, he knows this, that's why he seems so eager to get in bed with the Chinese...

• Options
    cost for nuclear gonna go up 180% in 10 years ... every nuclear project has been over budget by an average 2.5 times ... the surplus energy we have now is exported at a loss ... no one talking shit about renewables ever says anything about this ...
  • Options
    Shortly after the Ontario government announced they are suspending future renewable projects I had read that wind energy is down to 6.5 cents a kWh, is this correct? The article also stated that wind energy in Ontario is now the cheapest form of energy? I'll try and find the article, just can not remember what publication I read that in...hahaha. So why doesn't the liberal government publish a document explaining hydro in Ontario and the mistakes made in the past by all governments, including their own mistakes? I would like to think this kind of transparency and honesty could lead to some trust in what was trying to be accomplished.

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Any discussion on the idiots in Montreal banning pitbulls?