Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    so ... what is the primary complaint here!? ... that the judge didn't allow her victim impact statement to be read by her lawyer in court? ... or the potential sentencing?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    polaris_x said:

so ... what is the primary complaint here!? ... that the judge didn't allow her victim impact statement to be read by her lawyer in court? ... or the potential sentencing?

Referencing that case, polaris, I am puzzled by why the judge didn't allow the victim impact statement to be read out by someone else. It would be interesting to know the reason. It was reported as if it was simply the whim of the judge but I'm guessing - hoping? - there was some defensible reason for it. Not having it read out doesn't mean it doesn't get considered, though; it means that the public doesn't get to hear it.

And as for the sentencing - of course the defense is asking for the minimum of what they think they can get away with. That's their job. That's always their job, in ever case. To my mind, that part means nothing. There's no sentence yet; plenty of time to complain when a sentence is handed down. I would agree that, on the face of it, this would seem to warrant the maximum sentence allowable.

Also bear in mind that the defense is forwarding the information on mental health conditions like FASD and schizophrenia as mitigating factors but it doesn't necessarily work that way. Either or both could just as easily be seen as aggravating factors in sentencing, particularly the FASD, if it is seen as increasing the individual's risk due to lack of treatibility. I've got to say, as someone who works in a related field, FASD is a huge and seemingly intractible problem in the health system and criminal justice system, as well as other ministries. These individuals have permanent brain damage, through no fault of their own. The areas responsible for judgement and impulse control are particularly affected and it is a horrible, frustrating condition to live with. Many of these individuals that I've met hate their own behaviour but, almost by definition, can't stop it in the moment. I know that some on here will read that as an excuse or being "soft on crime" or "wanting to give them a latte" or some such drivel, but it's simple fact. Imagine growing up like that, living your life like that; forever screwing things up for yourself, alienating people, hurting people, even those that you love. That doesn't mean I'm not in favour of people being in custody if they pose a danger to others, it just means that I understand some of the driving factors of that risk.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

polaris_x said:

Referencing that case, polaris, I am puzzled by why the judge didn't allow the victim impact statement to be read out by someone else. It would be interesting to know the reason. It was reported as if it was simply the whim of the judge but I'm guessing - hoping? - there was some defensible reason for it. Not having it read out doesn't mean it doesn't get considered, though; it means that the public doesn't get to hear it.

And as for the sentencing - of course the defense is asking for the minimum of what they think they can get away with. That's their job. That's always their job, in ever case. To my mind, that part means nothing. There's no sentence yet; plenty of time to complain when a sentence is handed down. I would agree that, on the face of it, this would seem to warrant the maximum sentence allowable.

Also bear in mind that the defense is forwarding the information on mental health conditions like FASD and schizophrenia as mitigating factors but it doesn't necessarily work that way. Either or both could just as easily be seen as aggravating factors in sentencing, particularly the FASD, if it is seen as increasing the individual's risk due to lack of treatibility. I've got to say, as someone who works in a related field, FASD is a huge and seemingly intractible problem in the health system and criminal justice system, as well as other ministries. These individuals have permanent brain damage, through no fault of their own. The areas responsible for judgement and impulse control are particularly affected and it is a horrible, frustrating condition to live with. Many of these individuals that I've met hate their own behaviour but, almost by definition, can't stop it in the moment. I know that some on here will read that as an excuse or being "soft on crime" or "wanting to give them a latte" or some such drivel, but it's simple fact. Imagine growing up like that, living your life like that; forever screwing things up for yourself, alienating people, hurting people, even those that you love. That doesn't mean I'm not in favour of people being in custody if they pose a danger to others, it just means that I understand some of the driving factors of that risk.
    I believe it was written that the Judge was trying to protect the victim's identity - I'm not sure and definitely agree that there should be a reason why he didn't allow for it to be read.

Definitely, the mental health issues are significant and a major factor. It doesn't mean that they shouldn't serve time but if they get 12 years like the friends and family of the victim seek - then would that mean justice was served or no?
  • Options

polaris_x said:

I can't think of what would be worse: living a life afflicted with FASD... or getting gang raped by two greasy strangers. Understanding some of the causal factors doesn't minimize the crime and doesn't minimize the threat.

I know, there will be some that will read this submission on behalf of the victim as "bloodlust" or "revenge driven" or some such drivel, but it's a simple fact.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    edited August 2016

polaris_x said:

I can't think of what would be worse: living a life afflicted with FASD... or getting gang raped by two greasy strangers. Understanding some of the causal factors doesn't minimize the crime and doesn't minimize the threat.

I know, there will be some that will read this submission on behalf of the victim as "bloodlust" or "revenge driven" or some such drivel, but it's a simple fact.
    I don't believe that my post minimized the crime or the threat. Also, I don't think that any would call your post bloodlust, as you haven't actually suggested any particular sentence. If you were to suggest the DP in this instance, then yes, some might.
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Health Minister Jane Philpott says she will personally pay back ‘excessive’ limousine expenses

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/health-minister-jane-philpott-says-she-will-personally-pay-back-excessive-limousine-expenses

+1 for government
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    Guy serving three life sentences for raping a bunch of women is out on parole in Vancouver.

http://www.straight.com/news/755341/police-warn-balaclava-rapist-larry-takahashi-living-vancouver#comment
  • Options
    It seems a day doesn't go by without a story like that one ... unfortunately.

• Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited August 2016
    lukin2006 said:

It seems a day doesn't go by without a story like that one ... unfortunately.

Edit: agreed.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • Options
    Rapist should probably locked up for life...

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,496
    I've just about had it with PM Selfie. Here he is again, (I'm assuming) flying our jet to Toronto for a photo op at the Filipino festival (although, to be fair, it seems his appearance may have been planned even in advance of the election), then jetting to Kingston for tonight's Tragically Hip show (could he have not caught a western show during his (3rd? 4th?) vacation? Oh, right, those weren't televised, lol).
    Seriously, though, for an environmental champion, he's generating a HUGE carbon footprint, like when he held a state dinner for the Mexican President here in advance of the "3 Amigos" summit. In that instance, not only was his jet used to transport him to a function that could (and should, in my opinion) have taken place in Ottawa, the Mexican contingent would have stopped here before flying on to Ottawa themselves a day or two later. I feel quite secure assuming both leaders didn't make the 4-hour drive to Ottawa.
    Couple that with Limousine Jane's recent debacle, I truly am curious when people will realize that there ain't a damn thing changed. Sunny ways, my ass.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options

I've just about had it with PM Selfie. Here he is again, (I'm assuming) flying our jet to Toronto for a photo op at the Filipino festival (although, to be fair, it seems his appearance may have been planned even in advance of the election), then jetting to Kingston for tonight's Tragically Hip show (could he have not caught a western show during his (3rd? 4th?) vacation? Oh, right, those weren't televised, lol).
    Seriously, though, for an environmental champion, he's generating a HUGE carbon footprint, like when he held a state dinner for the Mexican President here in advance of the "3 Amigos" summit. In that instance, not only was his jet used to transport him to a function that could (and should, in my opinion) have taken place in Ottawa, the Mexican contingent would have stopped here before flying on to Ottawa themselves a day or two later. I feel quite secure assuming both leaders didn't make the 4-hour drive to Ottawa.
    Couple that with Limousine Jane's recent debacle, I truly am curious when people will realize that there ain't a damn thing changed. Sunny ways, my ass.

You tiring of pm sunny ways ...

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

Never liked him to begin with, lol. I wanted to give him a chance, but he keeps living up to my worst expectations, sadly.

• Options

lukin2006 said:

Never liked him to begin with, lol. I wanted to give him a chance, but he keeps living up to my worst expectations, sadly.
    Sadly that is true...

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    I think it's fair to expect my leaders carbon footprint would be way larger than mine. I don't think that's a reasonable criticism.

The limo thing? Well that's another story.....really stupid move on her part.
  • Options
    dignin said:

I think it's fair to expect my leaders carbon footprint would be way larger than mine. I don't think that's a reasonable criticism.

The limo thing? Well that's another story.....really stupid move on her part.

I agree that the PM's footprint will be much larger than most citizens', however if he's going to hold himself up as some sort of champion for the environment, then it's on him to ensure he does what he can to minimize that larger footprint, by not making pointless trips (such as the one to Toronto for the dinner with the Mexican President). If he's going to proclaim his government being all about changing the way they govern, then they/he need to walk the walk, which I'm just not seeing to this point.

As I said, I did/do want to give him a chance to prove himself, but on this (and many other) issues he's been a major disappointment (to me).

• Options
    Nationwide event. If Trudeau wasn't there, people would be slamming him.

He can't win. I'm not his champion, but it's fair to say what I have.

So far... a lot of flair. Probably more than I'd like. He's still miles ahead of where his opponent would have been for my personal tastes though.
  • Options
    I don't expect much from politicians. But our PM admires the chineses dictatorship?

• Options

So far... a lot of flair. Probably more than I'd like. He's still miles ahead of where his opponent would have been for my personal tastes though.

Personality wise he's leaps and bounds better than the previous guy. Policy wise the cons and liberals are not that far apart...

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

Personality wise he's leaps and bounds better than the previous guy. Policy wise the cons and liberals are not that far apart...
    This I can totally agree with, lol.

• Options

lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

Double quote. Sorry.

If I was to be honest... I'm remaining optimistic, but concerns are beginning to creep in.
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

Double quote. Sorry.

If I was to be honest... I'm remaining optimistic, but concerns are beginning to creep in.
    Now now TB
    Keep your head up in the sunny ways, everything will be allright.
    Your leader will take care of you.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    how are your eyes and body parts going....
  • Options
    Ontario should drop a Nestle bottling plant’s permit to extract water, environmentalists say

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/ontario-should-drop-a-nestle-bottling-plants-permit-to-extract-water-environmentalists-say

• Options
    Quitting federal politics, Stephen Harper and Jason Kenny will get the ‘obscene’ pension they fought against

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/quitting-federal-politics-stephen-harper-and-jason-kenny-will-get-the-obscene-pension-they-fought-against

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,764

=)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    That Canadians elect dolts to run their country, sums it up for me,

• Options

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

=)

This is funny.
    Especially because Trudeau is not a fan.