Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2016
    So where does the list end that it should apply to?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,766

So where does the list end that it should apply to?

It is up to the doctors.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Ok, so you don't agree with that?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    lukin2006 said:

^^^and that as well, so this bill essentially would not help als, Alzheimer's or dementia patients...

Okay, granted I have been too busy to read an update today, but my understanding is that it applies to essentially terminal conditions wherein the individual has the capacity to consent at the time of the request. Therefore, it should apply to ALS, which doesn't affect cognition and which is a fatal condition. The real problems come in with the dementias (which includes Alzheimer's) regarding consent, plus the non-terminal but serious conditions that can cause unrelieved suffering.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Curious - does the bill apply if you do a living will requesting that right before or when diagnosed with something that can affect your mind / ability to consent?

I really need to look into California law on this.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

lukin2006 said:

^^^and that as well, so this bill essentially would not help als, Alzheimer's or dementia patients...

Okay, granted I have been too busy to read an update today, but my understanding is that it applies to essentially terminal conditions wherein the individual has the capacity to consent at the time of the request. Therefore, it should apply to ALS, which doesn't affect cognition and which is a fatal condition. The real problems come in with the dementias (which includes Alzheimer's) regarding consent, plus the non-terminal but serious conditions that can cause unrelieved suffering.
    it does not apply to ALS because the person has to be terminally ill with death in the foreseeable future ... it goes against the Carter decision from the Supreme Court ...

so, not only does the bill fail to live up to the Supreme Court decision thus opening it up for another costly legal challenge ... it fails to deliver to the people who need this legislation the most ...
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Curious - does the bill apply if you do a living will requesting that right before or when diagnosed with something that can affect your mind / ability to consent?

I really need to look into California law on this.

it's not so much the consent as the issue right now ... it's who qualifies ... you could consent prior to getting something but still not qualify if your diagnosis does not show that death is in the foreseeable future ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

lukin2006 said:

it does not apply to ALS because the person has to be terminally ill with death in the foreseeable future ... it goes against the Carter decision from the Supreme Court ...

so, not only does the bill fail to live up to the Supreme Court decision thus opening it up for another costly legal challenge ... it fails to deliver to the people who need this legislation the most ...
    Do you have a reference to why it doesn't apply to ALS? Because with end stage ALS, death is forseeable.
  • Options
    polaris_x said:
    Interesting. And puzzling to me, because death is certainly foreseeable with ALS. I guess we will need to wait for this to play out, but I do not think there would be any difficulty getting two physicians to say that death is foreseeable for an individual with advanced ALS.
  • Options

polaris_x said:
    Interesting. And puzzling to me, because death is certainly foreseeable with ALS. I guess we will need to wait for this to play out, but I do not think there would be any difficulty getting two physicians to say that death is foreseeable for an individual with advanced ALS.
    ya ... sure, once an ALS patient is in hospice or palliative care - they may qualify but many ALS patients feel their quality of life is so compromised at an earlier stage that this should be an option to them ... why do they have to wait until their respiratory systems begin to fail when they've already lost control of all their muscles?
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    http://www.nationalpost.com/index.html

Philip Cross: The dirty secret of a bigger CPP is that it’s to help bail out public-sector pension plans
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    The politicians don't give a shit how much more money it cost us the taxpayer or an individual that needs to seek the courts help in assisted dying ... Di d they even consult a constitutional lawyer. Maybe it's time the Supreme Court also issued direct remedies in their rulings or strike these laws down completely and have no law regarding assisted dying
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    so ... GM is likely leaving Oshawa ... this after a massive bailout a few years ago from both federal and provincial gov'ts ... thanks Free Trade! ...
  • Options
    ^^^ the auto industry will not be in Ontario in 15-20 years or sooner according to a local auto analyst ... I can't find the link, I'll look, but he made those comments about 11/2 years ago when Chrysler was looking for billions to retool the Windsor Assembly Plant, Chrysler went it alone and invested 2 billion.

I feel nothing but sympathy for those effected in Oshawa, this is what most of southern Ontario has been dealing with for 15 years...we've watched plant after plant close, now this area is under a little resurgence with the new Chrysler Pacific van. But the nature of the auto industry is very cyclical.

There is not much we can do about these trade agreements ... In the end I feel the government has let the people who are/were in manufacturing or any sector that is struggling. There should have been a strategy to offer people opportunities to be re-trained with skills that will allow them to better adjust to the changing economy.

• Options

• Options
    Why would any manufacturer invest in Ontario with outlandish hydro cost, likely more red tape than ever before? Just don't see manufacturing getting in real breaks from this government ... Besides I'm not really sure it matters to our current premier ... Common sense at queens park has been replaced by ...

Then her cap n trade plan did nothing for the auto industry in Ontario ... Only make the future dark and bleak.

Look at the bright side the bureaucrats are doing well and have gotten a free pass.

• Options
    Workers at GM Oshawa fear company planning 'exit strategy' to close plant

http://www.cp24.com/news/workers-at-gm-oshawa-fear-company-planning-exit-strategy-to-close-plant-1.2955178

• Options
    c'mon ... you can't actually blame the province on this ... these fucking multi-national corporations make fucking billions delivering sub-standard product ... and yet we continually get extorted from them ... meanwhile our gov'ts continue to make FT agreements that always ends up with jobs overseas ...
  • Options
    Actually yes I am blaming the province to some degree. So, I thought hard core environmentalist like yourself would be glad to see these heavy emitters of carbon gone overseas (I kid)? Well I do think this current band of thieves running this province are...don't worry though...when they are done with this province it'll be an environmental utopia. Seems to me we here in southern Ontario got very little support from this province when manufacturing collapsed (other than Gm or Chrysler).

And I don't support free trade agreements with any country, and yes these corporations are moving to parts unknown for lesser standards. What do you think the average ontarian can do about? Nothing, because these lying corrupt politicians are elected dictators, all of them.

Was it not shortly after PM sunny ways was elected he handed 2+ billion to developing countries to help with their environment, really...so these fuckers sign away our good jobs, then they hand the same countries our cash to fix their problems.

And besides GM or any of these auto companies are not even our companies never were...there US companies at heart.

The elimination of the auto pact has done more harm to our auto industry than any free trade agreement.

And the same auto analyst Dennis DeRossier also claimed that the auto czar appointed by the province and federal government was not well-consulted over the cap n trade...yeah the province is totally blameless, creating a mess out of hydro, introducing 2 of the largest tax increases on Ontarions, more red tape and on and on ... This province sucks.

• Options
    the auto industry is also one of the biggest welfare industry out there ... You want these companies to stay, then you need to show up with a lot of cash, because that's what the US states do as well as Brazil and Mexico...I say let them fucking go...invest the money into retraining as many of those displaced workers as possible into skills that hopefully will carry them for a lifetime. We shouldn't need the auto industry or a resource based economy ... I keep hearing about all these green jobs coming our way ... Not.

• Options
    Trudeau pledges $2.65B to help poor countries fight climate change

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/trudeau-pledges-2-65b-to-help-poor-countries-fight-climate-change

W by didn't this money go to help Canadians who've been displaced from their jobs? Sure we got 2.65 billion for these countries ...

• Options
    So a Canada Post strike may be imminent. What happens to package delivery if this happens? So far I've really only read about how it would interrupt stuff like bills. Seriously, why are people still getting paper bills anyway? Seems to me the main issue would be package delivery, since everything else can be handled online.
    http://www.citynews.ca/2016/06/18/canadians-could-be-faced-with-a-summer-postal-strike/
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

So a Canada Post strike may be imminent. What happens to package delivery if this happens? So far I've really only read about how it would interrupt stuff like bills. Seriously, why are people still getting paper bills anyway? Seems to me the main issue would be package delivery, since everything else can be handled online.
    http://www.citynews.ca/2016/06/18/canadians-could-be-faced-with-a-summer-postal-strike/

People could switch to fed ex and ups ... Canada post is an outdated business model in the digital age...we get more flyers and junk in the mail than anything else.

• Options
    I avoid Canada post like the plague

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

I avoid Canada post like the plague

Just about everything I order online is delivered by Canada Post and they do a very good job in getting my packages to me quickly. I really don't have a choice - pretty much all international orders end up with Canada Post, and most things ordered within Canada go through them as well. And god knows CP is a hell of a lot better than UPS.
  • Options
    ^^^oh well, I can live without Canada post

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Okay, I'm sure everyone can. But since it's by far the most-used package delivery company in Canada, this is a pretty major issue. Plus, Canada Post offices are all over the place and easily accessible to most Canadians, which isn't the case with other shipping companies.
    Anyway, my question remains: what happens to CP package delivery if this happens? Does someone else step in and take over? Do the packages that are already in their hands just sit in a warehouse until the dispute is over? Would this overwhelm other shipping companies in Canada? I'm wondering why the whole package delivery issue isn't being talked about in the news. They are focusing on mail only, which makes me wonder about the whole thing. Thought maybe someone might know more.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    ^^^you could call Canada post or wait and see.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Some companies send a bill no matter what as proof of delivery. Visa/MC etc.