Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,766

PJ_Soul said:

So a Canada Post strike may be imminent. What happens to package delivery if this happens? So far I've really only read about how it would interrupt stuff like bills. Seriously, why are people still getting paper bills anyway? Seems to me the main issue would be package delivery, since everything else can be handled online.
    http://www.citynews.ca/2016/06/18/canadians-could-be-faced-with-a-summer-postal-strike/

Some companies send a bill no matter what as proof of delivery. Visa/MC etc.
    I have both Mastercard and Visa, and both companies have a paperless option.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

So a Canada Post strike may be imminent. What happens to package delivery if this happens? So far I've really only read about how it would interrupt stuff like bills. Seriously, why are people still getting paper bills anyway? Seems to me the main issue would be package delivery, since everything else can be handled online.
    http://www.citynews.ca/2016/06/18/canadians-could-be-faced-with-a-summer-postal-strike/

Some companies send a bill no matter what as proof of delivery. Visa/MC etc.
    I have both Mastercard and Visa, and both companies have a paperless option.
    I didn't check but you're probably right. I think maybe if you miss a payment they send a paper copy is what I may have been thinking.
    I know the power company here sends one monthly.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I have been told by my credit card company (bank) that whether the bill arrives or not you the customer is still responsible for payment on time ... So if this is a concern I'd look into electronic delivery options.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

I have been told by my credit card company (bank) that whether the bill arrives or not you the customer is still responsible for payment on time ... So if this is a concern I'd look into electronic delivery options.

Yeah, for sure. Even if someone doesn't get the statement, the minimum payment and the due date are certainly online, so I really don't get why these companies are ever sending anything unless specifically requested by the customers. It's a huge waste of paper and resources. The amount of time that can be saved by a company when they stop mailing shit out is astounding.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Andrew Coyne: Employees and employers alike may live to regret ‘historic’ CPP agreement

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/andrew-coyne-employees-and-employers-alike-may-live-to-regret-historic-cpp-agreement
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options

• Options
    Ontario has 'long way to go' to improve end-of-life care, says researcher

http://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/ontario-has-long-way-to-go-to-improve-end-of-life-care-says-researcher

Not too surprised ...

• Options
    Taxpayers spent close to $20M on Ontario pension plan that never started and is now winding down

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/taxpayers-spent-close-to-20m-on-ontario-pension-plan-that-never-started-and-is-now-winding-down

Believe it or not this is a good boondoggle ... Instead of the usual billion dollar boondoggles this is only 20 million ... Progress I say.

• Options
    NHL's Vegas expansion 'hypocrisy,' says MP chasing single-event betting

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/nhl-s-vegas-expansion-hypocrisy-says-mp-chasing-single-event-betting-1.3649179

You bet it is...

• Options

• Options
    From Brexit to Canadexit, cutting the ties that bind: Cohn

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2016/06/25/from-brexit-to-canadexit-cutting-the-ties-that-bind-cohn.html?campaign_id=A100

Sounds like a good idea...

• Options
    lukin2006 said:
    Expand on your thought lest ye become knownst as a troll.
  • Options
    ^^^ Just as the article states ... cut the ties completely to the UK.

• Options
    edited June 2016

lukin2006 said:
    It's not trolling to post an article without adding an extensive personal opinion and analysis.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:
    It's not trolling to post an article without adding an extensive personal opinion and analysis.
    On the contrary if you make a post that stirs some people and it just happens to be the same content of an article you are a troll.
    So let's agree to disagree.
  • Options
    My biggest fear is I will become trapped’: Woman, 25, goes to court to overturn assisted-dying restrictions

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/my-biggest-fear-is-i-will-become-trapped-woman-25-goes-to-court-to-overturn-assisted-dying-restrictions

Well that didn't take long...hopefully she is successful.

• Options
    Well Canadians this isn't so bad http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-government-legislation-passed-sitting-1.3648964

Actually I'm surprised this much got passed.
  • Options

Well Canadians this isn't so bad http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-government-legislation-passed-sitting-1.3648964

Actually I'm surprised this much got passed.

Yeah, I'm pretty impressed. Better than I expected actually, and my expectations weren't super low.
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

My biggest fear is I will become trapped’: Woman, 25, goes to court to overturn assisted-dying restrictions

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/my-biggest-fear-is-i-will-become-trapped-woman-25-goes-to-court-to-overturn-assisted-dying-restrictions

Well that didn't take long...hopefully she is successful.

No doubt. It's sick that this poor person has to deal with this still, that she's being forced to fight for her and our rights like this, when she's in the situation she's in. Just terrible.
  • Options
    ^^^ They could have passed proper legislation, they could have introduced proper constitutionally sound legislation. But thats not what government does these days, would not surprise me that they purposely pass legislation knowing they'll be ordered by the Supreme Court to try again ... make work projects for themselves. Hey it only money and time and some people's suffering, and apparently "prime minister sunny ways" has lots of money ... even though its not his money and has an obligation to be responsible, he's clearly not ready to govern ... just like hie predecessor. End of rant.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,312
    Happy Canada Day and long weekend!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    And to you, dignin, and all the other Canadians on here.

Cloudy and about to rain here in Victoria. Right on schedule for Canada Day.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    And aren't we about to celebrate the Canada Day weekend in that oh so Canadian pastime, the postal strike?
  • Options

Thanks for thinking of me on this National Holiday!
  • Options

Yes, even you, PJFan. My sense of fellowship knows no bounds today. Though you are straining it a bit by capitalizing "national holiday".
  • Options

Yes, even you, PJFan. My sense of fellowship knows no bounds today. Though you are straining it a bit by capitalizing "national holiday".
    :rofl:
    Happy Canada Day!
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,312

Look at this photo for a minute.

Set aside your political leaning or any complaint you have about the choices that various governments in Canada have made lately, and just look at this photo. It's nearly impossible to imagine it being taken in any other country. Really look at it, because it was iconic the moment it was shot.

It shouldn't be a surprise that Canada's current prime minister would make an appearance in Toronto at one of the largest gay pride parades in the world - maybe he could have dressed in a natty suit and his signature tan lace-ups, and waved to the crowd while waving the flag. That alone would have been enough to make history, to feed the news cycle and to build the Justin™ brand. Maybe even snag another GQ cover.

But, no. Appreciate what is happening in this photo. This G7 leader decided to bare his hairless chest in a salmon-pink shirt, and slip into curvy white jeans (there isn't a straight guy alive that can pull off white jeans without irony - don't even bother disagreeing with me), and shake his baby-maker under a high, July sun while being hosed down by a hundred water pistols wielded by all manner of race and colour along the straight, L, G, B, T, and Q spectrum. And in this picture, you can just make out the guy in the hat to the right of Trudeau's jubilant armpit. He's a recent émigré to Canada. A 5-foot-1, gay, HIV-positive Syrian refugee, which, if you look it up, is the definition of completely fucked back in his devastated homeland. And yet, there he is, marching and dancing next to the leader of his newly-adopted country, agog in the middle of Yonge Street.

Some might say that this is simply a picture of liberalism gone wild, or of biblical deviance, or of political opportunism. Go ahead – knock yourself out. Or, you would be partially correct to see this as a photo of a minority group celebrating a wider acceptance of its claim to humanity. It is that, and a great deal more. To look at this photo and not grasp its significance is to not only succumb to shallow, jaded and isolated thinking, but also to take for granted a level of freedom that is absurdly great in comparison to the utter bleakness in other corners of the world right now. This is a photo that says, "You have the freedom to not only feel love here, but to demonstrate it, celebrate it, sing it and shine it. Don't squander it."

Theo Ward, July 5, 2016

http://www.globeview.ca/look-at-this-photo-for-a-minute-trudeau-pride-2016.html
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited July 2016
  • Options
    Well Trump is bringing some good people here.
    Cape Breton is beautiful.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/trump-bump-cape-breton-obama-1.3672721
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    dignin said:

Look at this photo for a minute.

Set aside your political leaning or any complaint you have about the choices that various governments in Canada have made lately, and just look at this photo. It's nearly impossible to imagine it being taken in any other country. Really look at it, because it was iconic the moment it was shot.

It shouldn't be a surprise that Canada's current prime minister would make an appearance in Toronto at one of the largest gay pride parades in the world - maybe he could have dressed in a natty suit and his signature tan lace-ups, and waved to the crowd while waving the flag. That alone would have been enough to make history, to feed the news cycle and to build the Justin™ brand. Maybe even snag another GQ cover.

But, no. Appreciate what is happening in this photo. This G7 leader decided to bare his hairless chest in a salmon-pink shirt, and slip into curvy white jeans (there isn't a straight guy alive that can pull off white jeans without irony - don't even bother disagreeing with me), and shake his baby-maker under a high, July sun while being hosed down by a hundred water pistols wielded by all manner of race and colour along the straight, L, G, B, T, and Q spectrum. And in this picture, you can just make out the guy in the hat to the right of Trudeau's jubilant armpit. He's a recent émigré to Canada. A 5-foot-1, gay, HIV-positive Syrian refugee, which, if you look it up, is the definition of completely fucked back in his devastated homeland. And yet, there he is, marching and dancing next to the leader of his newly-adopted country, agog in the middle of Yonge Street.

Some might say that this is simply a picture of liberalism gone wild, or of biblical deviance, or of political opportunism. Go ahead – knock yourself out. Or, you would be partially correct to see this as a photo of a minority group celebrating a wider acceptance of its claim to humanity. It is that, and a great deal more. To look at this photo and not grasp its significance is to not only succumb to shallow, jaded and isolated thinking, but also to take for granted a level of freedom that is absurdly great in comparison to the utter bleakness in other corners of the world right now. This is a photo that says, "You have the freedom to not only feel love here, but to demonstrate it, celebrate it, sing it and shine it. Don't squander it."

Theo Ward, July 5, 2016

http://www.globeview.ca/look-at-this-photo-for-a-minute-trudeau-pride-2016.html

thankfully it isn't one of those pictures with mayor tory ... boy did he look like a dweeb ... haha

seriously tho ... my coworker marched in the parade as part of the memorial to the orlando victims and she was actually approached by either a family or friend of that victim ... tears all around ... apparently many from the orlando community came up to toronto that weekend ...