Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 said:
    most polls say canadians are in favour of electoral reform ... think I read somewhere 70% of canadians are in favour of some form of proportional representation ...
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    polaris_x said:

lukin2006 said:
    most polls say canadians are in favour of electoral reform ... think I read somewhere 70% of canadians are in favour of some form of proportional representation ...
    Polls have proven to be unreliable ... any electoral change should be presented to the people via a referendum...I do not believe pm happy days has the backbone to take his agenda to the people...like all politicians and political leaders, take your agenda to the people...and the run up to an election doesn't count much. They campaign vaguely and have made lying an art form during the campaign. But to each his own...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

polaris_x said:

lukin2006 said:
    Polls have proven to be unreliable ... any electoral change should be presented to the people via a referendum...I do not believe pm happy days has the backbone to take his agenda to the people...like all politicians and political leaders, take your agenda to the people...and the run up to an election doesn't count much. They campaign vaguely and have made lying an art form during the campaign. But to each his own...
    polls have been mostly reliable in predicting our elections ... in any case - i hear what you're saying but fuck ... we gonna spend $250 million just to see if we want to change our electoral system that we all already know is no good? ... c'mon ...
  • Options
    We spend 300 million or so every 4 years on fake elections, don't we owe to ourselves to get democracy right, that is if we really want democracy...from my you observation and perspective I think a good hunk of the population in Canada are happy being sheople...

The absolute only way I trust the process is if a binding referendum is held, personally I'd like to see any referendum tied to each province, territory, Quebec and first nations people needing to agree. I'm not comfortable letting politicians decide this issue.

I think the process will need to be fully played out ... I expect court challenges over this process if no referendum called, may not even get implemented by the next election if court challenges are launched.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

We spend 300 million or so every 4 years on fake elections, don't we owe to ourselves to get democracy right, that is if we really want democracy...from my you observation and perspective I think a good hunk of the population in Canada are happy being sheople...

The absolute only way I trust the process is if a binding referendum is held, personally I'd like to see any referendum tied to each province, territory, Quebec and first nations people needing to agree. I'm not comfortable letting politicians decide this issue.

I think the process will need to be fully played out ... I expect court challenges over this process if no referendum called, may not even get implemented by the next election if court challenges are launched.

so ... you don't think we need electoral reform? ... you like the fact that 30% of the population can put forth a majority in parliament and then institute omnibus bills that serve only certain interests? ... that the voice of the marginalized never get heard??
  • Options
    ^^^ I do think we need a electoral reform ... I do believe absolutely it needs to go to the people for a vote. Their is also precedence set by several provinces for going to the people. Why are the politician against going to the people? If electoral reform is done right by the all party committee then their should be no problem getting a mandate for electoral reform...

And yes there is no doubt the system isn't working ...

The system will never work until some figures out how to take so much damn money out of politics and bring in term limits and get rid of career politicians ... and return this country back to the people, likely a pipe dream though.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,306
    What a disrespectful piece of shit.

The Tenors blame 'lone wolf' for changing O Canada lyrics to 'all lives matter' at all-star game

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/canadian-national-anthem-all-lives-matter-change-1.3676477
  • Options
    ^^^ And the problem is. How many times over the years has the national been changed? To me it's just a national anthem, do with it as you please ... because eventually the politicians will have tampered with it so much, eventually they'll take credit for writing the song...and it would not suprise me if that's their end game.

And the protest of all live matter is true...

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

^^^ And the problem is. How many times over the years has the national been changed? To me it's just a national anthem, do with it as you please ... because eventually the politicians will have tampered with it so much, eventually they'll take credit for writing the song...and it would not suprise me if that's their end game.

And the protest of all live matter is true...

I can't think of one time some asshole changed the national anthem for a political message. No class.

And the all lives matters counter protest is dumb and ignorant.
  • Options
    ^^^well whatever you say, I myself could care less about the national anthems of any country...and yes all life matters. I'll probably be painted as racist because it seems more and more if your opinion differentiates from the mass, especially around this place.

• Options
    ^^^
    He is American.
  • Options
    ^^^Yes I know he's American ... totally think the whole incident was blown way out of proportion. Another example of political correctness gone crazy.

• Options
    ^^^

I don't think it was cool in any way, shape or form what he did. Soldiers have been laid to rest with our anthem being played. USA racist interference on our sovereignty is appalling.
  • Options
    ^^^ please enough with the soldiers bullshit ... oh and be offended it's your right, it's also my right to not be offended by any of it, and I'm not.

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited July 2016
    ^^^
    agreed

edit - you don't have any pride felt when you hear our anthem being played/sung?
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    ^^^no the anthem means nothing to me.

• Options
    ^^^
    Why not?
    Are you originally from Canada?
  • Options
    anthem is also irrelevant to me ... it means nothing in the face of our history and what we are as people and a society ...
  • Options
    Butchering the anthem was classless. If he was wearing something that spoke to his belief as he sang the anthem... it would have been more appropriate.

The anthem means a little to me. I'm proud to be Canadian. I'm proud of the efforts of our forefathers who forged this land we all enjoy. Yes... it could be better and yes... we could have been better with regards to the past... but it could be a hell of a lot worse too.

Some spitting on the anthem should head down to the Legion or show up to Remembrance Day events and speak to those in attendance about how shitty they think the anthem is.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,765
    I don't give a shit if he changed the words to the anthem. It honestly never even occurred to me to be bothered by that part. I am offended only by the whole "all lives matter" bullshit.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    It's about showing some respect. Even if you don't give a shit about the anthem or national pride a lot of people still do. I'm an atheist but I wouldn't go in a church and shit all over their lords prayer, only an asshole would do that.....and this guy was an asshole.
  • Options

^^^
    Why not?

Canadian I am

• Options
    dignin said:

It's about showing some respect. Even if you don't give a shit about the anthem or national pride a lot of people still do. I'm an atheist but I wouldn't go in a church and shit all over their lords prayer, only an asshole would do that.....and this guy was an asshole.

Through and through. Don't forget he also did that unbeknownst to his fellow band members. Pretty douchey.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,765
    edited July 2016
    dignin said:

I didn't say I don't have any national pride or that I don't give a shit about the anthem. That isn't true at all actually. But that doesn't mean I am going to get all "American" about someone changing the lyrics. That is absolutely anyone's right. I think it's quite "anti-Canadian" to suggest that someone shouldn't do that if they want to. And I think it is a s0ectscular waste of time to complain about someone doing that. I think the message that this doofus decided to try and disseminate is a much bigger concern.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ^^^and if you've noticed the media coverage over something so trivial ... exactly what the media, politicians and their corporate masters want...that way we're distracted from important issues, seems to have worked a little...in my opinion.

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

^^^
    Why not?

Canadian I am
    Then that's an issue between the band. Life will go on.

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

^^^ please enough with the soldiers bullshit.

I missed this part. I just read it as enough with the bullshit.
    What do you have against soldiers/the fallen?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't give a shit if he changed the words to the anthem. It honestly never even occurred to me to be bothered by that part. I am offended only by the whole "all lives matter" bullshit.

So you do not agree that it should simply be "all lives matter"?
  • Options
    ^^^absolutely nothing against soldiers, I have a great deal of respect for soldiers past and present. Using soldiers to support the argument against what this fellow did is not necessary, soldiers fought for freedom and rights of many different nations, kind of a tired line ... People are entitled to have varying opinions about the athem incident.

• Options
    What a mess this stupid gang of thugs are.
    They need to just all collectively shut up. http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/the-controversy-surrounding-black-lives-matter-in-canada/ar-BBul4oo?li=AAggv0m&ocid=mailsignout

It was following such a moment of silence that dozens of Black Lives Matter members stopped marching and sat down at a major intersection, bringing the parade to a halt.

“Pride Toronto, we are calling you out for your anti-blackness,” another co-founder, Alexandria Williams, shouted into a megaphone.

Your racism is showing,” Khan said into a megaphone. Rodney Diverlus, 25, another co-founder who, like Khan, identifies as queer, read aloud a list of demands that included more Pride funding for a black queer youth group, the hiring by Pride of more black transwomen and indigenous people, and the removal of police floats from future parades.

“The presence of police might make some of y’all safe,” Diverlus said, “but it makes a whole lot of people in our community unsafe. And if you’re down for an inclusive Pride, you are down for a police-free Pride.”