Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• ^^^
    He's become quieter on this issue as of late. I don't think he is as confident as you are getting it legalized by end 2017.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    ^^^he hasn't said much on the issue since before election ... I don't expect him to say much ... It's nobodies business anyways that's my point, same as assisted death it's nobodies business. I don't like the government period ... They have no right to infringe on people's rights and freedom because some people can't wrap their head around the notion that government is too intrusive in people's lives.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2016
    ^^^
    I seem to recall that Canadian liberals were very excited at the prospect of having legal weed if he got into power.
    Lo and behold we have liberals in power.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    edited June 2016
    Absolutely, I think it will be legal well within Trudeau's first term. (PJFan, you said the same thing about Doctor assisted suicide. And that is now legal only perhaps 2 months after you said that, with or without legislation, which is coming up fast one way or another anyway ... oh thee of little faith!).
    And people (not just Liberals, which I am not, btw) are still excited about it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ^^^
    Agree about the DAS.
    Don't agree about the pot, too many obstacles, too little time.
    edited June 2016

^^^
    Agree about the DAS.
    Don't agree about the pot, too many obstacles, too little time.

Not really. Again, that's what you said about DAS. There is a lot of precedent. They have some shit to get through with it, but it is very far away from too many obstacles for it to happen within 1.5 years. There is a lot of precedent to lean on. The focus has been on DAS because there was a deadline. Once all that is worked out they'll move on to really focusing on legalization (but FWIW, I regularly see updates about it in the news).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ^^^
    The precedent is thinned because of the turmoil of the US election.
    They can't make a move until November.

^^^
    The precedent is thinned because of the turmoil of the US election.
    They can't make a move until November.

Interesting thought, but why do you say that? In terms of the media/public attention/total obsession? Or are you thinking it's because the government is holding out because their decisions will be dependent on the outcome? (If the latter, the thought makes me pause, but I'm not sure i'm convinced that either nominee would impact the legislation significantly, just because I don't really see much difference between the current situation in this context and what it would be like a year from now, no matter who wins the next US election...... although shit's so crazy down there, who knows.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 said:

^^^
    I agree %100.
    But this is what liberals do. They piss you off but say that they didn't mean to.
    Time and time again.

Never truer words said ... About 13 years of lies and bullshit from Ontario liberals and this dumb province keeps them in power
    this is a function of alternatives more than anything ... the ndp have forever been handicapped by the Rae years, wrongfully I might add, as well as having a weak leader ... the PC's have been handicapped from the Harris years, rightfully I might add, as well as putting forth weak candidates as well ...

^^^
    polaris_x said:

lukin2006 said:

^^^
    I agree %100.
    But this is what liberals do. They piss you off but say that they didn't mean to.
    Time and time again.

Never truer words said ... About 13 years of lies and bullshit from Ontario liberals and this dumb province keeps them in power
    this is a function of alternatives more than anything ... the ndp have forever been handicapped by the Rae years, wrongfully I might add, as well as having a weak leader ... the PC's have been handicapped from the Harris years, rightfully I might add, as well as putting forth weak candidates as well ...

This is true ... But to quote Mulcair "Rae turned out to be a liberal" ... Or something like that. And John Tory might have been better than the alternative we've been stuck with ... Tory only really lost that election because he promised education funding for religious schools ... Which makes sense since we already fund the Catholic system ... But personally I am opposed to funding more than the public system ... Funding 4 school school boards is dumb ... But the bureaucrats love it.
    But you probably have a better informed opinion of Tory since he's your mayor. How's he doing as mayor? Time will tell with the PCs ... Brown seems to be trying to drag them into 2016, or at least on the surface it appears that way and so far no slips of the tongue...time will tell, I don't trust any of them, they all have personal agendas.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 said:

^^^

polaris_x said:

lukin2006 said:

^^^
    I agree %100.
    Time and time again.

This is true ... But to quote Mulcair "Rae turned out to be a liberal" ... Or something like that. And John Tory might have been better than the alternative we've been stuck with ... Tory only really lost that election because he promised education funding for religious schools ... Which makes sense since we already fund the Catholic system ... But personally I am opposed to funding more than the public system ... Funding 4 school school boards is dumb ... But the bureaucrats love it.
    But you probably have a better informed opinion of Tory since he's your mayor. How's he doing as mayor? Time will tell with the PCs ... Brown seems to be trying to drag them into 2016, or at least on the surface it appears that way and so far no slips of the tongue...time will tell, I don't trust any of them, they all have personal agendas.
    well ... anyone will look like an all start after our last mayor ... having said that - city is run by council and so far council has proven itself to function ok ... mayor has done a decent job of making it not about him which was key after ford ... i don't like that he keeps going against our chief planner for political reasons ... we should let sound independent studies dictate our decision making ... not politics ...
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Speaking of a mayor, and seemingly you barely need a pulse to qualify for this job nowadays, Nenshi and his band of nitwits are putting the screws to small business:

http://www.therebel.media/businesses_going_bust_effects_of_calgary_s_soaring_property_tax_hikes_begin_to_show

Higher minimum wage is also merely another tax grab on small business. They pay the workers more, the workers pay more taxes. Death by taxes is the new Canadian way. Small business gets run out, big box stores take their place and the rich get richer as you all like to complain about.

At some point, this has to stop. Governments borrow money with US (taxpayers) as collateral. As long as the banks know they can hike taxes, they lend our idiot politicians money.
    Which takes me back to earlier posts on the lawsuit against our government on the use of the Bank of Canada.

Kingcade made a good point on the radio the other day. Said he looked at his property tax statements since he moved back to cowtown in 08. They have gone up 50%. He wondered if he thought he was getting 50% more Calgary, alas he knows he isn't.

• ^^^
    But the majority really believed their liberal sunny ways would save the country.
    The liberals are doing exactly what they campaigned on and the country voted them in with a landslide.

I'm pretty sure it was more a case of stopping the downward spiral versus saving the country. We were all tired of the idiot beforehand, but I don't think anyone thought we were electing a Messiah as fresh as a few promises were.

It's too soon to grab the pitchforks as eager as some are to do given the sour grapes they are chewing on. Some change efforts are in motion- let's see what develops.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Agree Thirty.
  • PJ_Soul said:

Agree Thirty.

Thank Gawd. Lol.
    polaris_x said:

lukin2006 said:

^^^

polaris_x said:

lukin2006 said:

^^^
    I agree %100.
    Time and time again.

well ... anyone will look like an all start after our last mayor ... having said that - city is run by council and so far council has proven itself to function ok ... mayor has done a decent job of making it not about him which was key after ford ... i don't like that he keeps going against our chief planner for political reasons ... we should let sound independent studies dictate our decision making ... not politics ...
    Similar to how most feel federally ...

And everything is made political ... Or so it seems, at least he's not an embarrassment.

• ^^^
    But the majority really believed their liberal sunny ways would save the country.
    The liberals are doing exactly what they campaigned on and the country voted them in with a landslide.

I'm pretty sure it was more a case of stopping the downward spiral versus saving the country. We were all tired of the idiot beforehand, but I don't think anyone thought we were electing a Messiah as fresh as a few promises were.

It's too soon to grab the pitchforks as eager as some are to do given the sour grapes they are chewing on. Some change efforts are in motion- let's see what develops.
    It's always wait and see with liberals on issues they know are bigger than them.
  • ^^^

It's always wait and see with liberals on issues they know are bigger than them.
    You think implementing a legal drug policy is a snap of the fingers?
  • ^^^
    No because I am not a pothead like the campaign appealed to.
  • ^^^
    No because I am not a pothead like the campaign appealed to.

Lol.

Then stop talking like one!
  • ^^^
    For real, do you think they will get this passed before their term is up?
    edited June 2016

^^^

Yeah, why the hell not?
  • ^^^

Yes
    edited June 2016
    Wow, that is a stunning lack of information in that "article". I don't even know what post they are attempting to make. It just shows that real drugs affect the brain more than fake drugs, lol.

LSD is a helluva drug.... a person needs to set aside a full 24 hours to do it though. There is nothing casual about acid, lol. It is a full on, fully immersive event. Not at all in the same ballpark as weed.
    But I actually support the legalization of all illicit drugs. At least then the quality and ingredients could be regulated so that people quit dropping dead from accidental overdoses, fentynal poisoning, getting fake pills that kill them, etc etc.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    ^^^^^
    I believe the original studies were looking into how LSD could help with depression. In 1968 they made it illegal because it became a recreational drug.
    The article was showing the first brain scans to show what part of the brain was affected by LSD. I am assuming you watched the 2 minute video on the page.

I did not even once say that weed and acid "we're in the same ballpark". I did all sorts of drugs in my younger days, acid was one of them. We were the outcasts. I probably did acid 40-50 times I am guessing? One guy would pass through my town with a few hundred lot and give us a gift lol.

Anyways, I don't care whether weed is legal or not, but if I was to vote legal or not, I'd vote legal. It just doesn't affect my life one way or the other. Perhaps they could lower taxes by letting people on weed convictions out of jail.

I never had a 24 hr buzz, but I guess if you did 4 quads perhaps you would need 24 hrs while strapped to a hospital bed.

It amazes me how you dispute things posted without providing any facts. "Stunning lack of information"?
    It gave us a glimpse of the brain on acid we have never seen. That means it is adding to all the information apparently you "already knew". **shaking my head**
    You must be a blast at parties.

edited June 2016
    I didn't see that there was a video. So basically I saw nothing. I thought it was a graphic and two sentences, I.e. no information. Apologies.

In my experience, acid lasts about 12 - 16 hours as an actual high. And then you need to sleep and/or recover,.as there is a kind of hangover. So yeah, at least 24 hours are needed!
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/isis-kill-list-canadians-1.3637214?cid=

I wonder if I'm on the kill list? I wonder if you are? I guess I have at least as good chance as anyone to be on there... I've still got a defunct myspace page and everything, lol. :loser:
    PJ_Soul said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/isis-kill-list-canadians-1.3637214?cid=

I wonder if I'm on the kill list? I wonder if you are? I guess I have at least as good chance as anyone to be on there... I've still got a defunct myspace page and everything, lol. :loser:

If you are, or if I am we will get notified by the police ... Lol.