Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    And why do we need a disproportional amount of politicians for the relatively small population? You'd think with increased technology they could eliminate some of these politicians and bureaucrats? And why can't they be part-time?
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,838
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't think that a minoroty government is a good thing. It tends to really prevent shit from getting done.

It kept Harper in check for 5 years and shit still got done just not one parties priorities. They had to work together and compromise(not just the cons but all the parties). Was the best 5 years of politics. With the exception of everyone trying everything the could to cause an election so they could try to claw their way to the top. Minority governments are the closest you will ever get to fair representation.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited May 2016

PJ_Soul said:

I don't think that a minoroty government is a good thing. It tends to really prevent shit from getting done.

Minority governments are the closest you will ever get to fair representation.
    Not really.
    We have a majority govt right now and no one is complaining about not being represented fairly.
    Especially the NDPers that need anybody and anyone to guide them.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,838

PJ_Soul said:

Not really.
    We have a majority govt right now and no one is complaining about not being represented fairly.
    You can't really be that dense, oh wait.....
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    ^^^
    Why is it not right to say now that as a country with a majority govt we are all happy?
    Clearly our country has what we wanted.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Not really.
    The Liberals are not even a year into their mandate ... oh and spending (bribing) folks to the tune of 23 billion (tax free I believe) a year of their own money keeps the the voters at bay for a while, not forever though ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options

^^^
    Why is it not right to say now that as a country with a majority govt we are all happy?
    Clearly our country has what we wanted.

You do realize that the liberals only got 39% of the vote in the last election?? The cons and ndp combined received over 50% ... thats why people want proportional representation.

• Options
    ^^^
    Yes.
    Liberals want proportional representation only when they are the opposition.
    We have a majority govt that Canada loves.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,766
    edited May 2016

PJ_Soul said:

It kept Harper in check for 5 years and shit still got done just not one parties priorities. They had to work together and compromise(not just the cons but all the parties). Was the best 5 years of politics. With the exception of everyone trying everything the could to cause an election so they could try to claw their way to the top. Minority governments are the closest you will ever get to fair representation.
    You think the last 5 years under Harper was the best 5 years of politics????? I am really surprised to see you say that. I could not possibly disagree more. The only shit that got done was pretty bad shit, plus a bunch of scandals.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    to bad they d
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

You think the last 5 years under Harper was the best 5 years of politics????? I am really surprised to see you say that. I could not possibly disagree more. The only shit that got done was pretty bad shit, plus a bunch of scandals.
    I think the poster meant the 5 years that Harper was in minority at the beginning of his mandate...

• Options
    Joe Oliver: The Liberals spent $9B in a single month, just so they could say there was a deficit

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/joe-oliver-the-liberals-spent-9b-in-a-single-month-just-so-they-could-say-there-was-a-deficit

I'll take this column with a grain of salt ... but the liberals love spending money that ain't there's, just like the last government.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,766
    edited May 2016
    lukin2006 said:

to bad they d

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I think the poster meant the 5 years that Harper was in minority at the beginning of his mandate...
    Oh yeah, don't know why I actually read the "last" 5 years somewhere in there. But anyway, same goes for the first 5 years. I actually remember specifically how I kept thinking the minority government situation sucked. It actually reminded me of Congress and the Senate over the past 8 years, except Harper was part of the problem.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Kathleen Wynne suggests she was under ‘vicious’ attack in Alberta legislature because she’s a woman

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/kathleen-wynne-suggests-she-was-under-vicious-attack-in-alberta-legislature-because-shes-a-woman

WTF Alberta, why would you invite her to speak in your legislature. If you in Alberta are taking any advice from the Ontario Liberal Party your fucked. The Ontario Liberal Party has been under 3 OPP investigations, part of more multi million and billion dollar boondoggles than one could ever imagine, doubled Ontario's debt in less than 15 years ... oh yeah, lets not even discuss what they've done with Ontario Hydro, and was recently back tracking on the possibility of banning natural gas in 2030 on new home construction ... even funnier is supposedly there will be rebates in the future to convert homes in the province to electric heat, the only people who would ever do that in this province are the ones with their head buried in the sand and have not read/discussed with people who heat with hydro ... and their bills are a small fortune.

She is the reason to remain skeptical of prime minister moonbeam ... if he's taking advice from her then Canada's fucked ... but I'm willing to see how it goes with him, he's learned 1 thing from her ... how to spend money we don't have.

• Options
    Also she was not under attack because she's a woman ... she was under attack because she's the most unpopular premier in Canada ... the wild rose knew this and took the opportunity to score political points with Albertan's ... even the liberal leader in Alberta was late for her speech ... probably wants to keep his distance from her and the Ontario Liberals.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

to bad they d

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Oh yeah, don't know why I actually read the "last" 5 years somewhere in there. But anyway, same goes for the first 5 years. I actually remember specifically how I kept thinking the minority government situation sucked. It actually reminded me of Congress and the Senate over the past 8 years, except Harper was part of the problem.
    It only sucked because of Harper ...

• Options
    ^^^
    I read it as the best 5yrs as a working govt too.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    ^^^

the posters statement didn't specify when he had a minority ... nor does it matter ... he was in minority for part of his time as prime minister ... so if you read it that way you are wrong.

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

^^^

the posters statement didn't specify when he had a minority ... nor does it matter ... he was in minority for part of his time as prime minister ... so if you read it that way you are wrong.

It kept Harper in check for 5 years and shit still got done just not one parties priorities. They had to work together and compromise(not just the cons but all the parties). Was the best 5 years of politics

Explain to me that statement please.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

lukin2006 said:

^^^

It kept Harper in check for 5 years and shit still got done just not one parties priorities. They had to work together and compromise(not just the cons but all the parties). Was the best 5 years of politics

Explain to me that statement please.
    Why don't you ask the poster (northern dragon) after all they posted the comment ... maybe you should address their other statement as well directed toward.

• Options
    ^^^
    If the poster wants to respond fine.
    In the meantime there seems to be different opinions on what was meant.
    In fact it seems that there is only one way to take it unless you want to be wrong.
  • Options

^^^
    If the poster wants to respond fine.
    In the meantime there seems to be different opinions on what was meant.
    In fact it seems that there is only one way to take it unless you want to be wrong.

WTF is your problem dude ...

• Options
    Lol
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    ^^^
    The only thing that I find funny is that all the Harper haters are not current PM lovers.
  • Options
    ^^^

Here you go ... If your not already a member, I kinda figure your the president of JT's fan club, now you can join the liberal party for free.

A leaner Liberal machine: Trudeau convinces party members to sign off on new constitution

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/trudeau-ready-to-take-the-stage-at-liberal-convention-where-members-have-concerns-about-new-constitution

• Options
    Trudeau's uneven response to Fort McMurray and Attawapiskat shows tale of two cities

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/views-expressed/2016/05/trudeaus-uneven-response-to-fort-mcmurray-and-attawapiskat-sh

There all the same ... Continuing to ignore our aboriginal people's...shameful.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    ^^^
    That's no way to talk about our majority liberal govt.
    We got what we voted for Canada!
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    ^^^^^^

Loving the sarcasm leave1. Hysterical...
    And correction... Eastern Canada got what they wanted. After that it was a moot point :lol:
  • Options
    ^^^
    Well if you can't beat em....
    It is rather refreshing talking and acting like a liberal, not a care in the world.
    La, di, dah.
  • Options
    ^^^ good point ...

• Options

^^^
    Well if you can't beat em....
    It is rather refreshing talking and acting like a liberal, not a care in the world.
    La, di, dah.

Sour grapes still? Lol.

Boo hoo. Wah. Wah. Me no likey. Wah.

Come on, fellas... Harper was a Gumby. The country did get what they wanted and comparatively speaking... we're feeling pretty damn good !

Gotta admit... it's refreshing acting like a tool on this forum, not a care in the world.
    "My brain's a good brain!"