Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 said:

EI is not a social program, it's a program that both the employee and employer pay into that happens to be run by the government. It's been no secret that the government over the years have used funds from that fund for purposes other than its intended use. If Trudeau was really different he'd see to it that the monies are only used for unemployed workers and the programs needed by said workers. EI should be a program administered arms length from the government. So as it stands now EI is just another payroll tax.

it is a social program ... by any definition ...

http://mapleleafweb.com/features/employment-insurance-canada-history-structure-and-issues
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I'm sure by definition it is ... To me it's a payroll tax, same as CPP.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Don Braid: Alberta gets another poke in the eye from Ontario gas ban plan

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/don-braid-alberta-gets-another-poke-in-the-eye-from-ontario-gas-ban-plan

Kevin Libin: Ontario’s big, green assisted economic suicide plan

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/kevin-libin-ontarios-big-green-assisted-economic-suicide-plan

More stupidity from this government long past its replace date .... Now I doubt they'd ever get away from banning natural gas. But seriously where buying 95% of our natural gas from the states ....
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    lukin2006 said:

Don Braid: Alberta gets another poke in the eye from Ontario gas ban plan

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/don-braid-alberta-gets-another-poke-in-the-eye-from-ontario-gas-ban-plan

Kevin Libin: Ontario’s big, green assisted economic suicide plan

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/kevin-libin-ontarios-big-green-assisted-economic-suicide-plan

More stupidity from this government long past its replace date .... Now I doubt they'd ever get away from banning natural gas. But seriously where buying 95% of our natural gas from the states ....

dude ... when Ontario's manufacturing went to shit because all our policies were to prop the oil and gas industry and our dollar went through the roof ... don't think anyone gave two shits about Ontario ...

as for buying as from the states ... it's called NAFTA ...
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,306
    lukin2006 said:
    It's night and day from what is happening in the states right now. Makes me proud that we are moving in the right direction.
  • Options
    dignin said:

lukin2006 said:
    It's night and day from what is happening in the states right now. Makes me proud that we are moving in the right direction.
    I totally agree ... But never hurts to be proactive.

• Options
    dignin said:

lukin2006 said:
    Good news and one point for Trudeau.
  • Options
    Ottawa's legal manoeuvre on veterans benefits called 'a betrayal'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/kent-hehr-veterans-court-benefits-1.3586013

...and I'll deduct 10 against the government ... And when/if they ever make this right he still loses my confidence and it'll never be regained. I come from a family of WW1 and WW2 veterans ... To even remotely make these fine folks fight for their propet benefits is just shameful.

• Options
    This whole incident http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-conservative-whip-1.3588407
    is strange.
    If Harper did this there would be outrage.
    Anyone who does not condone violence in any way, shape or form whatsoever must acknowledge that this is unacceptable behaviour.
  • Options
    qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 776

This whole incident http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-conservative-whip-1.3588407
    is strange.
    Anyone who does not condone violence in any way, shape or form whatsoever must acknowledge that this is unacceptable behaviour.

Unacceptable behaviour... hilarious! What that NDP woman did is called a dive in soccer. Mulclair's over the top outrage was quite funny. Story over.

• Options
    NDP clowns.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,765
    edited May 2016

is strange.

I don't think there is any violence going on there at all. Taking hold of someone's arm and leading them out of a stupid argument isn't violence and anyone claiming that it is is trying to take advantage of the situation. The elbow was completely accidental (I had a hard time seeing it at all). It's kind of a weird scene all around, but we all know that much crazier shit has happened in government. At any rate, I am filing this one under "I couldn't care less", especially since Trudeau has genuinely apologized more than once already. I would feel the same if Harper had done the same, because it's nothing more than a bit of a weird intervention between people acting like idiots. Looking forward to it getting out of the news so I can hear people talking about important shit again.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    That whole issue from my understanding was the dippers trying to hold up or delay the vote on bill c-14 (assisted dying bill). Trudeau apologized ... Time to move on and I believe Ms. May through a series of tweets sided with Trudeau ... And she is very credible.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    lukin2006 said:

That whole issue from my understanding was the dippers trying to hold up or delay the vote on bill c-14 (assisted dying bill). Trudeau apologized ... Time to move on and I believe Ms. May through a series of tweets sided with Trudeau ... And she is very credible.

Yeah, frankly, I don't blame Trudeau for getting that frustrated with the stupidity and bullshit. He obviously should have contained it better, but still, I get it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Yeah, frankly, I don't blame Trudeau for getting that frustrated with the stupidity and bullshit. He obviously should have contained it better, but still, I get it.
    PJ, Absolutely ... I understand the bill is far from perfect, but this bill has to be in place and law by June 6th ... so it has to get passed in parliament and through the senate, if not passed there would be no law at all ... what do the NDP and Conservatives prefer? In the end this is really a problem created by the conservatives that they never dealt with. And the Alberta Supreme has ruled the law violate the charter in some way, so get some sort of law in place and proceed with caution and i'm sure in time the law will be amended.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,306
    edited May 2016
    Entire NDP caucus arrive in neck braces, wheelchairs to House of Commons after Trudeau's assault

http://www.thebeaverton.com/national/item/2690-entire-ndp-caucus-arrive-in-neck-braces-wheelchairs-to-house-of-commons-after-trudeau-s-assault

What Trudeau did was stupid but Mulcairs reaction to it was just as stupid. The Conservatives were the only ones who weren't embarrassing themselves.

Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ, Absolutely ... I understand the bill is far from perfect, but this bill has to be in place and law by June 6th ... so it has to get passed in parliament and through the senate, if not passed there would be no law at all ... what do the NDP and Conservatives prefer? In the end this is really a problem created by the conservatives that they never dealt with. And the Alberta Supreme has ruled the law violate the charter in some way, so get some sort of law in place and proceed with caution and i'm sure in time the law will be amended.
    So this behaviour when used is acceptable to pass legislation?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

is strange.

I don't think there is any violence going on there at all. Taking hold of someone's arm and leading them out of a stupid argument isn't violence and anyone claiming that it is is trying to take advantage of the situation. The elbow was completely accidental (I had a hard time seeing it at all). It's kind of a weird scene all around, but we all know that much crazier shit has happened in government. At any rate, I am filing this one under "I couldn't care less", especially since Trudeau has genuinely apologized more than once already. I would feel the same if Harper had done the same, because it's nothing more than a bit of a weird intervention between people acting like idiots. Looking forward to it getting out of the news so I can hear people talking about important shit again.
    So there are rules that allow this behaviour while in session?
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

No, it shouldn't be happening and no one said that it's acceptable. Not on anyone's part (at least Trudeau apologized, which you can't say about the others involved as far I know, who were the bigger idiots in this scenario). But it did happen, and most people don't really care, asides from the fact that opposition is trying to stall something that most of us fully support and want to have ready by the deadline. Hopefully they all settle down and get this legislation passed ASAP so that people can stop suffering.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

No, it shouldn't be happening and no one said that it's acceptable. Not on anyone's part (at least Trudeau apologized, which you can't say about the others involved as far I know, who were the bigger idiots in this scenario). But it did happen, and most people don't really care, asides from the fact that opposition is trying to stall something that most of us fully support and want to have ready by the deadline. Hopefully they all settle down and get this legislation passed ASAP so that people can stop suffering.
    Well said

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

So any time a bill that's opposed and really wants expedition this behaviour can be used since no one cares and nothing will come of this.
    A sorry is all that is needed?
  • Options
    dignin said:

Entire NDP caucus arrive in neck braces, wheelchairs to House of Commons after Trudeau's assault

http://www.thebeaverton.com/national/item/2690-entire-ndp-caucus-arrive-in-neck-braces-wheelchairs-to-house-of-commons-after-trudeau-s-assault

What Trudeau did was stupid but Mulcairs reaction to it was just as stupid. The Conservatives were the only ones who weren't embarrassing themselves.

I know there trying to be funny ... Personally very inappropriate. Maybe if the cons dealt with issue while in office and stopped be so judgemental these events likely never take place ... So in the end they are somewhat responsible.

• Options

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

I never said

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

So any time a bill that's opposed and really wants expedition this behaviour can be used since no one cares and nothing will come of this.
    Is that really what you got out of my post?? If so, there isn't any point in discussing this with you.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited May 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Is that really what you got out of my post?? If so, there isn't any point in discussing this with you.
    So we have a member that got physical with the opposition and bigger idiots than this too?
    Who?
    If I was in the opposing party and a teammate had unwanted physical contact by an authoritative figure it would upset me.
    I'm pretty sure behaviour like this is not allowed in the workplace and people do care.
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

I never said
    But this behaviour was used to expedite the goals of the majority.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited May 2016
    For most of us, if we grabbed a colleague by the elbow and pulled him forcibly into say a conference room, we'd be unemployed by days end.

But the relationship between the Liberals and Canada's media being what it is, we can look forward to a series of opinion pieces explaining to the unwashed masses that it was all "no big deal," then chastising us for even talking about it.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    I don't think tbe media is doibgbwhat you're suggesting. I think people are justbseeing the video and judging for themselves. This was not anything close to assault or abuse, and reasonable people recognize that. Everyone knows the PM shouldn't have done it, including the PM. That's it. He apologized, and i can't think of anything else that should or could happen besides moving on. What are you arguing for exactly? Wtf do you want to happen? You want the PM removed from office or what? :lol: