Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    ^^^
    Are you free to grab a persons arm whenever you want to and lead them away?
    Your work or in public?
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited May 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't think tbe media is doibgbwhat you're suggesting. I think people are justbseeing the video and judging for themselves. This was not anything close to assault or abuse, and reasonable people recognize that. Everyone knows the PM shouldn't have done it, including the PM. That's it. He apologized, and i can't think of anything else that should or could happen besides moving on. What are you arguing for exactly? Wtf do you want to happen? You want the PM removed from office or what? :lol:

Your work or in public?

edit - I double posted before you edit yours.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    You see ... Imo your attitude is somewhat baffeling. What do you want to come from it? Charges? He apologized, move on ... I do not think any harm was meant...and I'm not a Trudeau supporter, but I do recognize the importance of the legislation and pressure to get said legislation passed by the deadline or there is no law at all.

Don't think you'll be happy no matter ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

You see ... Imo your attitude is somewhat baffeling. What do you want to come from it? Charges? He apologized, move on ... I do not think any harm was meant...and I'm not a Trudeau supporter, but I do recognize the importance of the legislation and pressure to get said legislation passed by the deadline or there is no law at all.

Don't think you'll be happy no matter ...

So next time this happens an apology is fine and no harm meant?
    Every govt wants to speed along their bills but when you exercise your point physically is not the way to go.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,765

PJ_Soul said:

I don't think tbe media is doibgbwhat you're suggesting. I think people are justbseeing the video and judging for themselves. This was not anything close to assault or abuse, and reasonable people recognize that. Everyone knows the PM shouldn't have done it, including the PM. That's it. He apologized, and i can't think of anything else that should or could happen besides moving on. What are you arguing for exactly? Wtf do you want to happen? You want the PM removed from office or what? :lol:

Your work or in public?

Free to grab an arm? ... well, yeah, I guess I am. It's not illegal to take ahold of a person's arm I'm pretty sure. Fuck, I've been in crazier board meetings than that. Besides, why are there people suddenly expecting these folks to act like they work in an office? These MPs sit there fucking screaming at each other and hurling insults across the floor for hours on end on a regular basis. All of a sudden they are ex0ected to be held to the same standards as employees in office? Gimme a break.
    But besides that, weird shit goes down in workplaces all day every day. This isn't that big a deal IMO.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ^^^
    Okey, dokey.
    No big deal then.
    Have a good night.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

^^^
    Okey, dokey.
    No big deal then.
    Have a good night.

Right. It happened. Weird scene. Time to move on.
    But you didn't answer my question: what is it you want to happen??

(FWIW, I would be saying the same if it had been Harper, except I would also be in shock because he actually showed an emotion, lol)

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Lol, just turned on the news and they called it "elbowgate". :lol:
    I am just looking forward to this bill being passed. Can't wait for this story to get out of the news.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Your work or in public?

Free to grab an arm? ... well, yeah, I guess I am. It's not illegal to take ahold of a person's arm I'm pretty sure. Fuck, I've been in crazier board meetings than that. Besides, why are there people suddenly expecting these folks to act like they work in an office? These MPs sit there fucking screaming at each other and hurling insults across the floor for hours on end on a regular basis. All of a sudden they are ex0ected to be held to the same standards as employees in office? Gimme a break.
    But besides that, weird shit goes down in workplaces all day every day. This isn't that big a deal IMO.
    This made me laugh ... good points, great stuff.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

^^^
    Okey, dokey.
    No big deal then.
    Have a good night.

Right. It happened. Weird scene. Time to move on.
    But you didn't answer my question: what is it you want to happen??

(FWIW, I would be saying the same if it had been Harper, except I would also be in shock because he actually showed an emotion, lol)

Somehow I don't picture harper ever being involved in this type of incidence, like you said no emotion.

• Options
    Shockingly, the opposition is making the big deal about that minor accidental elbow to that stupid woman who acted like a fucking Italian soccer player taking a dive, and they are trying to call it molestation. FFS. THAT is absolutely disgusting.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Shockingly, the opposition is making the big deal about that minor accidental elbow to that stupid woman who acted like a fucking Italian soccer player taking a dive, and they are trying to call it molestation. FFS. THAT is absolutely disgusting.

It's a classic 'reach'.

They're trying desperately to get their rat claws into anything they can... and this is about it.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    :rofl:

The love affair continues... Six months and counting.
  • Options

:rofl:

The love affair continues... Six months and counting.

You'll have to forgive people for at least a little longer.

The previous dork's leadership was bound to make any successor look like a champion- even a guy like Homer Simpson.
  • Options
    OTTAWA -- The Trudeau government cut short debate and forced a vote in principle Wednesday on its proposed new law on medically assisted dying, enraging opposition MPs who said they're being deprived of the right to speak on a crucial life-and-death issue.
    The Liberals used their majority Wednesday to impose a time limit on second reading debate of the bill.
    But while the opposition parties were united in denouncing the restriction on debate, MPs from all parties came together later Wednesday to easily give the bill approval in principle. The bill passed by a vote of 235-75, with support from most Liberal, NDP and Bloc Quebecois MPs as well as 20 Conservatives and Green Leader Elizabeth May.
    Lone Liberal Robert-Falcon Ouellette and solitary New Democrat Christine Moore joined 73 Conservatives, including interim leader Rona Ambrose, in opposing it.
    The bill must still be examined by the Commons justice committee, which could recommend amendments, before returning to the Commons for more debate and a final vote.
    Prior to the vote, Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould argued that limiting debate and getting the bill quickly to committee is necessary to ensure the bill passes by June 6, the deadline for enacting a new law set by the Supreme Court, which struck down the ban on assisted dying last year.
    However, the Commons justice committee and the Senate's legal and constitutional affairs committee have already begun simultaneously conducting hearings on the bill -- not waiting for it to pass second reading in the Commons -- so it's not clear why MPs could not have continued debating it at least until those committee hearings wrap up.
    The move to impose time allocation set off a furor in the Commons.
    "I am absolutely outraged," said Alberta Conservative MP Blaine Calkins, adding that his constituents have "very impassioned views" on assisted dying which they expected him to express during the debate.
    The Liberal government has lengthened by two years the environmental hearings for something as "innocuous" as a proposed pipeline, Calkins argued, "yet they're only going to let one in four MPs at second reading on this bill talk about something as important as the sanctity of human life."
    "This is an abomination and it violates my privileges as a member of Parliament."
    Wilson-Raybould countered that opposition parties rejected an offer earlier this week that would have allowed for "unlimited" debate after midnight. And she maintained it would be "irresponsible" to miss the court deadline.
    "If we do not have legislation in place as of June 6, there will be no safeguards in place, the medical practitioners will have uncertainty with respect to the eligibility criteria around somebody who wants to access medical assistance in dying," she told the Commons.
    But Green Leader May argued that the deadline could be missed "with no harm done" since the parameters for assisted dying set out in the Supreme Court's ruling would take effect until such time as a new law was enacted. She said the "harm to democracy" caused by limiting debate is greater than the risk of missing the deadline by taking the time to do the legislation right.
    In striking down the ban on medically assisted dying, the Supreme Court recognized the right to assisted death for clearly consenting adults with "grievous and irremediable" medical conditions who are enduring physical or mental suffering that they find intolerable.
    The federal government last month introduced a bill that takes a more restrictive approach. It would require a person to be a consenting adult, at least 18 years of age, in "an advanced stage of irreversible decline" from a serious and incurable disease, illness or disability and for whom a natural death is "reasonably foreseeable."
    All parties have promised free votes on the bill.
    Ambrose said Wednesday that she'd vote against the bill at second reading, in hopes that it will be amended at committee to strengthen protection of the conscience rights of medical practitioners who refuse to help a patient die and improve safeguards for people with disabilities.
    NDP Leader Tom Mulcair said he'd vote for the bill but reiterated his call for the government to refer the new law, once passed, to the Supreme Court to see if it respects the court's ruling and does not violate the charter of rights.
    But at a news conference to mark the six-month anniversary of his government, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau did not appear overly enthusiastic about amending the bill and ruled out altogether a reference to the top court.
    He defended the restrictive approach taken by the government, arguing legalization of assisted dying "is a big change for the country" that needs to be undertaken cautiously. He expressed confidence that the bill complies with the court ruling and the charter.
    "I do not agree that every time we have a bill that we should go to the court and ask them if they believe our bill is charter compliant. To do so would be to undermine the government's role," Trudeau added.
    The bill may get a rougher ride in the Senate than it got Wednesday in the Commons, judging from the tough grilling senators gave Wilson-Raybould when she appeared before the legal affairs committee.
    Some, including Liberals Serge Joyal and James Cowan, suggested the bill would not stand up to a charter challenge because it is too restrictive. Others, including Conservatives Don Plett and Denise Batters, said it fails to adequately protect the conscience rights of doctors or to provide safeguards for vulnerable individuals, such as those with mental illnesses.
    Frances Lankin, an independent senator recently appointed by Trudeau, expressed concern that the bill would not allow advance requests for a medically assisted death from individuals suffering from conditions such as dementia that will eventually render them incapable of giving informed consent.
    "I generally support this but it just doesn't go far enough," Lankin told Wilson-Raybould.
  • Options
    From Roger Kingcade on 770 here in Calgary. Great blog:

You could be forgiven for thinking Justin Trudeau’s promise of “sunny ways” happened a century ago. It seems so far from top of mind for Canadians. Those Canadians, by the way, largely didn’t ever realize that the phrase was borrowed from the great Liberal Prime Minister Wilfred Laurier. That same PM Laurier was the one who cranked up the Chinese Head Tax to $500 in 1903. Prime Minister Stephen Harper was the modern PM who officially apologized for this one, much like he officially apologized for the Komagata Maru incident back in 2008. If Liberals can’t call to mind events and speeches from 2008, surely pulling the wool over their eyes about some novel dispute resolution strategy from a century ago and framing it as a bold new way forward is no great feat.

On paper, Justin Trudeau’s election victory last year is astonishing. His resume was clearly far inferior to his competitors. To that point, his election as party leader is astonishing, but his name was a compelling reason to bet that he could snatch victory for the sidelined Liberals in the fall election. It worked, obviously.

The hibernating bear/electorate woke up last fall to hear tales about how the middle class is falling behind (despite evidence) and that middle class Canadians need tax relief. Those tax cuts, by the way, didn’t pass the Parliamentary Budget Officer smell test; they end up costing more.

Right about now, the Trudeau supporters who would read this are singing a chorus of “but Harper, but Harper…”

It’s true. Harper had some bad ideas, chief among them the whole divisive niqab issue that turned off a lot of Canadians. But this is beside the point. Is the argument that so long as a politician isn’t as evil as the last guy – as your guy – we’re still ahead.

The reality is plain now. Justin Trudeau sang a siren’s song to Canadians. Sunny Ways. Selfies with beautiful young people. “We respect journalists in this country.” His personal brand of feminism. His election was not won on the quality of his ideas and ideals. It was won on his character, the one that was focus grouped and crafted for maximum impact. And to be clear, this definition of character is not the one used to describe the likes of Terry Fox, a great man who undertook an endeavour greater than himself to benefit all, but rather to describe Terri, the fox from Three’s Company, a fiction created by others intended to distract people from what’s really happening.

Which brings us to today. The day after Canada’s House of Commons descending into the political equivalent – nay, the Canadian political equivalent – of a battle royale. There was a physical altercation involving, if not instigated by, Trudeau (for which he has since apologized) that occurred in the wake of an embarrassing episode for the government. Too few of them showed up for work, so the opposition conspired according to the rules to teach them a lesson. The Liberals have been using their clout to limit debate on their assisted dying bill, which seems to be a trend.

The many conservatives across the country screaming and shouting their disdain for Justin Trudeau the “selfie king” are drowning out the rest of us. The rest of us are quietly observing something we anticipated; that the Liberal party of Canada wasn’t reborn under Trudeau. Trudeau is merely the horse they rode back to their self-declared rightful role as Canada’s natural governing party. They see themselves as the only fit rulers of Canada and any obstruction, political or democratic, is merely an inconvenience for them to brush aside.

It’s the same old. This should be a huge disappointment to those who fell in love with the “Sunny Ways” leader. Sadly, it’s not.

• Options
    ^^^
    Did you post this because you agree or just presenting another persons opinion?
  • Options
    Whatever the answer, that is possibly the worst editorial i've ever read.
  • Options
    Its pretty bad. It's not saying much outside of the fact that Roger doesn't like Trudeau and he's never liked the Liberals.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,836
    The NDP MP who physically used her body to block someone from performing their job and as a result was accidentally elbowed in the boob calling it "molestation" or "assult" and received medical attention(what did the medic kiss her booboo better) is an asinine twat.
    You wanted to be treated equally fucking suck it up princess, you just were. Seriously grow the fuck up, you want to use your body in a physical manner then you have to be willing to accept all the possible consequences of such actions, and crying girly girl after the fact is bullshit.
    I say this as both a woman and an NDP supporter.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options

The NDP MP who physically used her body to block someone from performing their job and as a result was accidentally elbowed in the boob calling it "molestation" or "assult" and received medical attention(what did the medic kiss her booboo better) is an asinine twat.
    You wanted to be treated equally fucking suck it up princess, you just were. Seriously grow the fuck up, you want to use your body in a physical manner then you have to be willing to accept all the possible consequences of such actions, and crying girly girl after the fact is bullshit.

I'm glad someone else said this first.

Initiate physical contact... then cry when physical contact occurs.

Some people are so lame.
  • Options

Some people are so lame.
    Attitudes like these are exactly why NDPers will never be in a position to lead the country.
    Go Trudeau!
  • Options

Some people are so lame.
    Attitudes like these are exactly why NDPers will never be in a position to lead the country.
    Go Trudeau!
    Those morons were as childish as could be: clumped up, purposely blocking the aisle, stupid little grins on their faces as they did it, laughing "giggity giggity", and then indignant once Trudeau waded into them and spoiled their stupid fun.

Come to think of it... Trudeau exercised great restraint. By rights, he should have slapped a few of them- it's what they were asking for. What an outstanding display of leadership- the guy never disappoints!
  • Options
    ^^^
    Yeah, you're right.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Totally agree. She's an embarrassment. I am happy that this disgusting tactic is completely backfiring on her and those who are trying to ride along with her. Pretty much everyone in Canada think they're total idiots now. I did vote Lineral this time, but have been an NDPer all my life. This incident has drawn me further away from them for sure.
    I am actually waiting for THEIR apologies. I've reached the point where i don't think Trudeau even had anything to apologize for at all.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options

^^^
    Yeah, you're right.

Lol.

I like the new you.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Totally agree. She's an embarrassment. I am happy that this disgusting tactic is completely backfiring on her and those who are trying to ride along with her. Pretty much everyone in Canada think they're total idiots now. I did vote Lineral this time, but have been an NDPer all my life. This incident has drawn me further away from them for sure.
    I am actually waiting for THEIR apologies. I've reached the point where i don't think Trudeau even had anything to apologize for at all.
    Gawd I hate it when you vote for the Linerals.

You've got a new phone don't you lol!
  • Options
    :lol: No, i am hungover. :tongue:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

:lol: No, i am hungover. :tongue:

Awesome.

Good headache. Hungry but too lazy to make any food. Too much coffee. Dehydration. And some Canadian politics.

Did I mention shitty weather? I'm sitting here ready to rock the long weekend and it's pissing like I've never seen it before. Not exactly the sweetest mountain biking conditions.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    Victoria Day long weekend = shitty weather.

Guaranteed.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf