Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited May 2016

The NDP MP who physically used her body to block someone from performing their job and as a result was accidentally elbowed in the boob calling it "molestation" or "assult" and received medical attention(what did the medic kiss her booboo better) is an asinine twat.
    You wanted to be treated equally fucking suck it up princess, you just were. Seriously grow the fuck up, you want to use your body in a physical manner then you have to be willing to accept all the possible consequences of such actions, and crying girly girl after the fact is bullshit.
    I say this as both a woman and an NDP supporter.

I'm glad someone else said this first.

Initiate physical contact... then cry when physical contact occurs.

Some people are so lame.
    Attitudes like these are exactly why NDPers will never be in a position to lead the country.
    Go Trudeau!
    Those morons were as childish as could be: clumped up, purposely blocking the aisle, stupid little grins on their faces as they did it, laughing "giggity giggity", and then indignant once Trudeau waded into them and spoiled their stupid fun.

Come to think of it... Trudeau exercised great restraint. By rights, he should have slapped a few of them- it's what they were asking for. What an outstanding display of leadership- the guy never disappoints!
    Now Trudeau out of your statement and insert Harper or Mulroney or Joe Who or Diefenbaker.
    Would you still feel the same way given the exact same situation with the exact same circumstances?

Say that woman (the NDPer) was your wife, daughter, sister, niece. Would you still say "she deserved it"?

Say that happened at her place of work. Knowing what I know about human rights and the very broad definition of harassment in the workplace, she has every right to feel the way she does. If that action made her uncomfortable it is unacceptable.

Debate the laws all you want, but it is what makes our country a civilized place to work and live. Harassment is not easily defined. I could be offended by what someone did to SOMEONE ELSE in the workplace, despite the fact it did not bother them.

Trudeau was waaaay out of line. I have never witnessed anything like that in the "boardroom" or meeting of any company I worked for. If I did witness such boorish behaviour, I would take my skills elsewhere.

Sunny ways sunny ways. Perhaps some of you will read this with some objectivity. If anyone did this, I would object vehemently to their actions.
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options

^^^
    Did you post this because you agree or just presenting another persons opinion?

I agree with most of the sentiment and Rodger is not anti-Trudeau. He isn't on Rebel Media (which is fun to watch and read too) He specifically talks of something he disagreed with Harper on. They are pretty fair in doling out criticism.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,312

The NDP MP who physically used her body to block someone from performing their job and as a result was accidentally elbowed in the boob calling it "molestation" or "assult" and received medical attention(what did the medic kiss her booboo better) is an asinine twat.
    You wanted to be treated equally fucking suck it up princess, you just were. Seriously grow the fuck up, you want to use your body in a physical manner then you have to be willing to accept all the possible consequences of such actions, and crying girly girl after the fact is bullshit.

Some people are so lame.
    Attitudes like these are exactly why NDPers will never be in a position to lead the country.
    Go Trudeau!
    Those morons were as childish as could be: clumped up, purposely blocking the aisle, stupid little grins on their faces as they did it, laughing "giggity giggity", and then indignant once Trudeau waded into them and spoiled their stupid fun.

Come to think of it... Trudeau exercised great restraint. By rights, he should have slapped a few of them- it's what they were asking for. What an outstanding display of leadership- the guy never disappoints!
    Now Trudeau out of your statement and insert Harper or Mulroney or Joe Who or Diefenbaker.
    Would you still feel the same way given the exact same situation with the exact same circumstances?

Say that woman (the NDPer) was your wife, daughter, sister, niece. Would you still say "she deserved it"?

Say that happened at her place of work. Knowing what I know about human rights and the very broad definition of harassment in the workplace, she has every right to feel the way she does. If that action made her uncomfortable it is unacceptable.

Debate the laws all you want, but it is what makes our country a civilized place to work and live. Harassment is not easily defined. I could be offended by what someone did to SOMEONE ELSE in the workplace, despite the fact it did not bother them.

Trudeau was waaaay out of line. I have never witnessed anything like that in the "boardroom" or meeting of any company I worked for. If I did witness such boorish behaviour, I would take my skills elsewhere.

Sunny ways sunny ways. Perhaps some of you will read this with some objectivity. If anyone did this, I would object vehemently to their actions.
    I agree he was way out of lineand acted like an idiot. But you cannot compare the house to a boardroom.....these guys scream and yell at each other daily, they act like a bunch of children. In what boardroom would some people get up and try and block other people from moving around.

I just don't know what else people want from the PM. He has apologized probably a dozen times by now. He can't be charged with anything. He can't be forced to step down (nor do I think he should). Everything else at this point is feigned outrage and trying to score political points. The opposition just look like a bunch of idiots dragging this out.....I say that as someone who voted and supports the NDP. It's time to move on, the longer the opposition harps on this the worse they look and the better Trudeau looks.
  • Options

Some people are so lame.
    Go Trudeau!

If you go through my post in history... you'll find some consistencies. One of the most recurring consistencies is that one reaps what they sow.

If you act like an idiot and get treated like an idiot... you got what you deserved.

Those idiots thought that the setting would afford them a safe place to act like dickheads- basically neglecting good behaviour, but then expecting it.

You're talking as if he shoved the woman. This was far from that. In fact, if you can look objectively, you'll note that he wasn't even dealing with her- she got elbowed 'slightly' as she played her part in the human blockade.

Not to drudge through the past too much, but don't play too high and mighty- we've seen some of your behaviour on this forum which places you in a spot where you likely shouldn't be talking too loudly about the need to be civilized.

If you can have your moments, others can have theirs.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    ^^^^

How I conduct myself in an Internet forum (which I do not take a seriously as you I am thinking) or at a bar or a sporting event is far different from how I act in the work place. Harassment laws in the workplace ensure that (as do my own professional aspirations :lol: ) So comparing the two is moot.

The thing is, you never really read my post. He shouted obscenities and physically moved someone. This is not behaviour I would expect from anyone in the workplace, let alone the PM. And I am convinced your opinion would not be the same if the EXACT same scenario happened, but it was Stephen Harper.

The real issue is the Liberals are trying to block debate of their bills in the House. When the vote wasn't going fast enough he got upset and started screaming obscenities. It is a bit troubling to me. The pressure of fulfilling all his campaign promises is getting to him.

• Options

^^^^

How I conduct myself in an Internet forum (which I do not take a seriously as you I am thinking) or at a bar or a sporting event is far different from how I act in the work place. Harassment laws in the workplace ensure that (as do my own professional aspirations :lol: ) So comparing the two is moot.

The thing is, you never really read my post. He shouted obscenities and physically moved someone. This is not behaviour I would expect from anyone in the workplace, let alone the PM. And I am convinced your opinion would not be the same if the EXACT same scenario happened, but it was Stephen Harper.

The real issue is the Liberals are trying to block debate of their bills in the House. When the vote wasn't going fast enough he got upset and started screaming obscenities. It is a bit troubling to me. The pressure of fulfilling all his campaign promises is getting to him.

I hear what you're saying and it's fair... although I'm not with you in your last paragraph.

I'm also not going to admit to reacting any differently if it was Harper though. The only thing I'd say in that event is that there were some people that missed an opportunity to smack him lol!
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,838
    It's warm and sunny in northern BC. A beautiful May long weekend for being out in the yard, having some beers on the deck and BBQing. It's a nice change after the crap weather back east during the tour.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options

It's warm and sunny in northern BC. A beautiful May long weekend for being out in the yard, having some beers on the deck and BBQing. It's a nice change after the crap weather back east during the tour.

Wtf?

The Okanagan is brutal.

I thought we saved the crappy weather for you guys?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,312
    Heavy snow here in Calgary right meow. But I would expect nothing less on May Long.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,838

Wtf?

The Okanagan is brutal.

I thought we saved the crappy weather for you guys?
    You usually do but we marked it return to sender. Looks like it has arrived. =)
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,766

^^^^

My opinion would be exactly the same. Trudeau did nothing wrong, and Harper wouldn't have either. Trudeau went to get that dude out of that ridiculous crowd that was blocking him. And accidentally bumped someone. What exactly do you think we would be so appalled by if it had been Harper? If anything, I would have been impressed if Harper of all people did such a thing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Trudeau defends Nickelback, taking in Syrian refugees in Daily Show interview

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/trudeau-daily-show-refugees-nickelback-1.3594463

Defending nickelback...time for a recall...lol
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    He loves Backspacer too!
    Go Trudeau!
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/trudeau-daily-show-refugees-nickelback-1.3594463

Oh Christ.

Can't wait for 1Thought's Trudeau shredding post relevant to this lol. Us Trudeau lovers are defenceless.
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

:lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited May 2016

lukin2006 said:

Oh Christ.

Can't wait for 1Thought's Trudeau shredding post relevant to this lol. Us Trudeau lovers are defenceless.
    Actually, I am not a Nickelback hater...
    JT is alright. Why didn't he defend Rush? :rock_on:

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    Rejoice! Harper will be leaving politics by the fall. So where does he rate...my guess, not very high on the list of former prime ministers. He did do a few things I didn't mind ... that was very early on in his minority mandate. Once he got a majority he was like all the rest.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    ^^^

He will,be remembered for all the bad things and none of the good things.

This is no one's fault but his own.
  • Options

^^^

Agreed,

• Options
    A little news tidbit: Kevin Vickers (former House sergeant-at-arms who shot the attacker at the Canadian Parliament in 2014) drags protester away at ceremony honouring British soldiers in Ireland. http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/kevin-vickers-protester-dublin-1.3601127?cid=

Interesting. The headline says he tackled the guy, but if you watch the video, he didn't tackle him at all. He just pulled him away, and quite neatly at that. I don't feel like he did anything wrong myself. Some obviously think he did, suggesting it's not his job. Well, no, as Ambassador, it wasn't his job, that's absolutely true. My reaction to that is basically "so?". Some also have an issue because they think the protestor had a good point and was exercising his right to freedom of speech .... Well, yes. The protestor probably did have a good point. I think that such a ceremony in Ireland is kind of tasteless at best. All that said, I still don't think that Vickers really did anything wrong. He didn't hurt the guy, he just shut down a person who was trying to interrupt a ceremony honouring the dead, in a cemetery. I think that people interrupting such an event shouldn't expect to just stand there and have their say. That's not realistic. Peacefully protesting mass gatherings is one thing, but very directly interrupting a ceremony or a speech is quite another, and I NEVER expect someone to get away with that kind of thing. While they have their right to free speech, so does the person the protestor is trying to stop from speaking. All in all, Vickers' reaction seems appropriate to me, albeit surprising (and kind of amusing), and it seems like Vickers just reacted instinctively, like he was perhaps trained to do, despite his new official role, and that is more fascinating than anything else. This man is kind of a badass, and I don't even think he's trying to be.
  • Options

^^^

True.
    Never the less we are all happy that a majority liberal govt is in power.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

^^^

True.
    Never the less we are all happy that a majority liberal govt is in power.
    definitely not all ...

would have preferred a minority
  • Options
    ^^^this ... I don't understand the infatuation some people have with Trudeau, so far he really has only demonstrated that he knows how to spend other people's money quite well, like his old man.

I get that his personality is quite the opposite of Harper and he comes across as likeable for sure. Saying that I am willing to wait and see and give him a chance to govern...

• Options
    And for anyone waiting for electoral reform. Unless your a liberal supporter you'll end up disappointed...unless its proportional representation you'll be disappointed, and we don't need a committee to study electoral reform...from my understanding proportional representation is in place in other countries, so why not just introduce proportional representation legislation for the next election? Or will the electoral reform benefit the liberals more? We will see...

And I'll maintain that any electoral reform needs to go to a referendum and needs to include referendums...or Canada will continue to be a fake democracy.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I don't think that a minoroty government is a good thing. It tends to really prevent shit from getting done.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't think that a minoroty government is a good thing. It tends to really prevent shit from getting done.

And maybe that's a good thing

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

No, it's not. I don't understand why anyone would think nothing getting done by the government is a good thing.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

No, it's not. I don't understand why anyone would think nothing getting done by the government is a good thing.
    Thats because I absolutely 100% do not trust the government...

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Okay, but there still has to be one that does stuff, if you want to live in a developed society and see positive progress. Nothing getting done under a minority government usually means that nothing good is getting done, not that nothing bad is getting done.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Okay, but there still has to be one that does stuff, if you want to live in a developed society and see positive progress. Nothing getting done under a minority government usually means that nothing good is getting done, not that nothing bad is getting done.
    I'll agree that we do need a government to get things done .... democratically ... not this fake democracy we have.