Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,678
    Parksy said:
    Nami said:
    https://youtu.be/itbSIqY4Nnw

It'll be my last RB clip posting, just focus on the message.  He does stir up some interesting points.
    Thanks
    C
    Here's the thing... and please help me understand this because I feel like I'm living in an alternate universe.  Before I even click on the clickbait here.. where is this media blackout?  What is a media blackout?  What constitutes a media blackout?  

Is he suggesting that the 'main stream media' aren't covering these things?  Cause I'm going to immediately call a full out BULL SHIT on this.  It is being covered by the media. In totality.  Some media organizations are biased, yes.  You can find out which ones by researching their political support and donations.  We have one state run media outlet, the CBC and they are.. wait it... covering these protests. So please help me understand how Brand is not engaging in harmful propaganda here based solely on the clickbait title of this video?  

What is a media blackout? 

"Why is no one in the main stream media talking about it?" - Russel Brand in his Propaganda video posted by Nami. 

As of this post: 

cbcnews.ca - it's the headline.
    globalnews.ca - it's the headline.
    ctvnews.ca - it's the headline.
    torontostar.com - (Left Leaning media - it's not the headline... but it's there, and yes, it's left biased, but it's there.)
    torontosun.com - (right leaning media - it's the headlines.)

Do I need to keep going here?  People need to stop eating the bullshit they're being fed. Facts are facts. Deal with them.  I don't want to hear any 'good points' from a man who is clearly trying to hoodwink and manipulate people. Full stop. 
    What stood out to me as I watched was his emphasis on working to unite not divide.

Also, there was a really good line about if you believe what the government is telling you, have a little think about it.

Yes, it was amusing that he only used video from CBC (there were also a couple screenshots from Global as well I believe). Personally I haven’t said the media’s not covering the story, I’m just bothered by the tone of the coverage. CBC last night was flat out incendiary in both the “story” they presented and the At Issue panel.

Maybe Brand was referring to the international media?
    I'm trying to see the forest through the trees here.  I consider Brand to be a smart, smart man. LOVED his interview with Jordan Peterson although I had to watch a few times to understand the language they were using. It was above me. lol   But in all his brilliance, he should know what he's doing here.  If he wanted to discuss that people should not unquestionably accept what the government says... sure. I'm all for that.  But you cannot, cannot, cannot ignore what's in front of you. The clickbait. The title. The photo.  I'm sorry, but what he's doing is no different than Fox's propaganda.  Why?  Who knows.  But it is complete bullshit. And it's completely misleading. 

To give an example of what this does... because it began as far as I'm concerned with Trump and his "Fake News' motto.  I watched a camera crew from Global walking around just filming live coverage and they were getting harassed by the protesters. "Fake News!" "Tell the Truth!" "You won't air this!"  "Tell the truth."     So I have to ask myself.... what led these yokels to believe that two chill dudes walking around with a camera broadcasting and reporting... not saying a word... just literally showing people what's happening... how does that get interpreted by morons as the media being out to get them?   And I look at this Brand video, along with Trumps "Fake News" and that's where I find my answer.  
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I just watched the At Issue panel.   I wouldn't call it incendiary at all.  Biased, yes. But at the same time, their criticisms of O'Toole in particular and the dumpster fire that is the Conservative Party is IMO bang on. 

To your point, these analysts, the panel, seemed to be pro-Trudeau.  At the same time... they didn't engage in any misinformation or lying at all. They gave their opinions, told it how it is.  I actually learned a bit more about this convoy and what the organizers want.  And it's beyond dumb. 

Edit:  The male analyst is overusing and exaggerating the term 'extremists.'
    Post edited by Parksy on
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Russell Brand now? The guy who thinks he's some kind of prophet?

I'm not going to watch that BS.

Fuck, we're doomed.
  • Options
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    dignin said:
    Russell Brand now? The guy who thinks he's some kind of prophet?

I'm not going to watch that BS.

Fuck, we're doomed.
    I used to follow him on instagram. after watching a few of his videos, good lord, you nailed it, he obviously feels as if he's reached some sort of enlightenment. 

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:
    Nami said:
    https://youtu.be/itbSIqY4Nnw

It'll be my last RB clip posting, just focus on the message.  He does stir up some interesting points.
    Thanks
    C
    Here's the thing... and please help me understand this because I feel like I'm living in an alternate universe.  Before I even click on the clickbait here.. where is this media blackout?  What is a media blackout?  What constitutes a media blackout?  

Is he suggesting that the 'main stream media' aren't covering these things?  Cause I'm going to immediately call a full out BULL SHIT on this.  It is being covered by the media. In totality.  Some media organizations are biased, yes.  You can find out which ones by researching their political support and donations.  We have one state run media outlet, the CBC and they are.. wait it... covering these protests. So please help me understand how Brand is not engaging in harmful propaganda here based solely on the clickbait title of this video?  

What is a media blackout? 

"Why is no one in the main stream media talking about it?" - Russel Brand in his Propaganda video posted by Nami. 

As of this post: 

cbcnews.ca - it's the headline.
    globalnews.ca - it's the headline.
    ctvnews.ca - it's the headline.
    torontostar.com - (Left Leaning media - it's not the headline... but it's there, and yes, it's left biased, but it's there.)
    torontosun.com - (right leaning media - it's the headlines.)

Do I need to keep going here?  People need to stop eating the bullshit they're being fed. Facts are facts. Deal with them.  I don't want to hear any 'good points' from a man who is clearly trying to hoodwink and manipulate people. Full stop. 
    What stood out to me as I watched was his emphasis on working to unite not divide.

Also, there was a really good line about if you believe what the government is telling you, have a little think about it.

Yes, it was amusing that he only used video from CBC (there were also a couple screenshots from Global as well I believe). Personally I haven’t said the media’s not covering the story, I’m just bothered by the tone of the coverage. CBC last night was flat out incendiary in both the “story” they presented and the At Issue panel.

Maybe Brand was referring to the international media?
    I'm trying to see the forest through the trees here.  I consider Brand to be a smart, smart man. LOVED his interview with Jordan Peterson although I had to watch a few times to understand the language they were using. It was above me. lol   But in all his brilliance, he should know what he's doing here.  If he wanted to discuss that people should not unquestionably accept what the government says... sure. I'm all for that.  But you cannot, cannot, cannot ignore what's in front of you. The clickbait. The title. The photo.  I'm sorry, but what he's doing is no different than Fox's propaganda.  Why?  Who knows.  But it is complete bullshit. And it's completely misleading. 

To give an example of what this does... because it began as far as I'm concerned with Trump and his "Fake News' motto.  I watched a camera crew from Global walking around just filming live coverage and they were getting harassed by the protesters. "Fake News!" "Tell the Truth!" "You won't air this!"  "Tell the truth."     So I have to ask myself.... what led these yokels to believe that two chill dudes walking around with a camera broadcasting and reporting... not saying a word... just literally showing people what's happening... how does that get interpreted by morons as the media being out to get them?   And I look at this Brand video, along with Trumps "Fake News" and that's where I find my answer.  
    I get what you're saying there, but also don't forget Trudeau has done his bit to discredit the media as well.  "The story in the Globe & Mail is false."
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    discrediting one story isn't discrediting media as a whole. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Ahhh, ok, so it’s a matter of how many times one does it?

• Options
    did he discredit all media? did he discredit the globe and all of its reporters? no, not to my knowledge. denying a story is done all the time by all types of people and all types of media. that's not normally classified, as far as I'm aware, of discrediting all media. why is it in this situation?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    did he discredit all media? did he discredit the globe and all of its reporters? no, not to my knowledge. denying a story is done all the time by all types of people and all types of media. that's not normally classified, as far as I'm aware, of discrediting all media. why is it in this situation?
    Fine, no, you’re right, he was only discrediting one story (and by extension the writer and interviewees). Except he was lying through his teeth, and the story was, in fact, correct.

• Options
    Fine, no, you’re right, he was only discrediting one story (and by extension the writer and interviewees). Except he was lying through his teeth, and the story was, in fact, correct.
    I'm not entirely sure what this is about... but let's say you're correct and you probably are.  If Trudeau falsely discredited one story about one thing... that's not what I'm getting at here.  To me that's completely on a different level than pundits and figures trying to suggest that all of 'mass media' shouldn't be trusted. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    I'm not entirely sure what this is about... but let's say you're correct and you probably are.  If Trudeau falsely discredited one story about one thing... that's not what I'm getting at here.  To me that's completely on a different level than pundits and figures trying to suggest that all of 'mass media' shouldn't be trusted. 
    I guess I’m not buying the suggestion that there’s degrees of labeling “fake news”. To me, you do it once (Trudeau), you’ve done it a hundred times (Trump). Others think otherwise, fair enough.

As far as non-politicians go, I give them far more latitude to say what they want, because we have a history of privately-owned media saying whatever they want. I’ve pretty much only taken issue with bias when tax dollars are involved.

Unfortunately I also feel much of the media have discredited themselves through unbalanced coverage (the Conservative leader of the day is asked daily about their stance on gay rights during the election campaign, blackface is covered for 2 days then dropped). Again, others feel different about the coverage, that’s their (and my) right.

Hope that makes some degree of sense and better explains my stances, lol.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    giving the media money is essentially hiring a pr firm to constantly clean up your screwups…that what the incompetent liberals did.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Others on the left who have not come out against the convey are Union leaders…at least none that I have seen.  The only I follow closely is Jerry Diaz UAW president…I quickly checked his Twitter feed nothing.  I may be wrong … 

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
  • Options
    funny how the CBC was never a problem for some under non-liberal governments. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,831
    Like I needed more reasons to disagree with Elon Musk :lol: 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    can't stand that guy
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The whole Karen Convoy is embarrassing.

Especially when you look at how small it actually is and the fact that it has been headline news all week.

I support the 90% of truckers that did the right thing and rolled up their sleeves. The ones working right now, not going for a cross-country joyride.
  • Options
    Gotta love the Canadian bought media…cp24 dragged in a 300 pound trucker who supports mandates…he obviously doesn’t support his health.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks to the vaccine for making this possible.

And thank you Justin Trudeau for acquiring and distributing this life saving vaccine to all the provinces. Without that this change in policy could not happen.

We owe our government a debt of gratitude.

• Options
    Reading that some restaurants in Ontario are opening to full capacity…all these small business that have been screwed by Trudeau and the premiers by locking them down which was based on lies…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    imagine being a nurse treating covid patients and the unvaccinated for the last two fucking years and seeing bullshit like this. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,831

Ah, the incredible unintentional irony of the fact that’s it’s the vaccinated truckers who we can thank for the stocked shelves. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    It’s such a small fringe group…lol.  Yup, real small…and so far peaceful…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 553
    Some people think 10% is huge

Some people think their hands aren’t small…
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto