Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,427
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:
    If you don't mind me asking... what is hysterical about this story? 

It reads like journalism to me.  Their warning about traffic delays seems like a fair and legit warning.  I'm confused by your assertion. 
    Maybe it doesn’t come across in the story I linked, but the live coverage is only one step removed from saying we should fear this protest. They had a former OPP commissioner (their “safety expert”) flat out said these shows of support are straight up unsafe (implying they should be shut down). That was in his live remarks at noon, just caught an edit that waters down his statement.

It’s becoming quite clear this is not the “fringe minority” who are engaged in wrong-think as Trudeau claimed yesterday.

As a counterpoint, there wasn’t this degree of concern over the protesters who descended on Toronto a few years ago and trashed the downtown core.
    I would say that any concern about extremism without evidence is biased and not good.  I've been watching this stupid convoy closely because I don't want to be stuck in it. 

I haven't honestly seen these fears.  Traffic fears yes... which is what I'm personally concerned about.  
    I suppose part of what I’m reacting to is the constant emphasis we’re seeing about police presence (today) and police preparing for the arrival of the convoy (lead story on last night’s The National), which implies that a group who have so far been nothing but peaceful will turn violent…eventually.

Now, all that said, it is the job of the legal authorities to put plans in place in case things do go south, but was Ottawa police preparations for a weekend protest more newsworthy than Trudeau’s Ukraine announcement yesterday? We’ll all have differing views, but I feel Ukraine deserved more prominence (despite my own disappointment with the substance of the announcement).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,866
    edited January 2022
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:

It reads like journalism to me.  Their warning about traffic delays seems like a fair and legit warning.  I'm confused by your assertion. 
    Maybe it doesn’t come across in the story I linked, but the live coverage is only one step removed from saying we should fear this protest. They had a former OPP commissioner (their “safety expert”) flat out said these shows of support are straight up unsafe (implying they should be shut down). That was in his live remarks at noon, just caught an edit that waters down his statement.

It’s becoming quite clear this is not the “fringe minority” who are engaged in wrong-think as Trudeau claimed yesterday.

As a counterpoint, there wasn’t this degree of concern over the protesters who descended on Toronto a few years ago and trashed the downtown core.
    I would say that any concern about extremism without evidence is biased and not good.  I've been watching this stupid convoy closely because I don't want to be stuck in it. 

I haven't honestly seen these fears.  Traffic fears yes... which is what I'm personally concerned about.  
    I suppose part of what I’m reacting to is the constant emphasis we’re seeing about police presence (today) and police preparing for the arrival of the convoy (lead story on last night’s The National), which implies that a group who have so far been nothing but peaceful will turn violent…eventually.

Now, all that said, it is the job of the legal authorities to put plans in place in case things do go south, but was Ottawa police preparations for a weekend protest more newsworthy than Trudeau’s Ukraine announcement yesterday? We’ll all have differing views, but I feel Ukraine deserved more prominence (despite my own disappointment with the substance of the announcement).
    it's not nothing. I read an article this morning stating even the organizer of this truck convoy is trying to distance the group from extreme groups trying to piggyback on their cause, telling the truckers to alert her and/or police about anyone suspicious trying to join their groups. so, it's not nothing, it's just being undeservedly linked to the convoy. 

*fuck, I can't find the article. it was on cbc.ca. 

found it: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/organizer-extremists-convoy-no-violence-1.6327650
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,683
    As Hugh said... it really shouldn't be considered nothing.  And while I understand that vast majority of folks want things peaceful.....  these things have a tendency to attract some nefarious actors. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:

it's not nothing. I read an article this morning stating even the organizer of this truck convoy is trying to distance the group from extreme groups trying to piggyback on their cause, telling the truckers to alert her and/or police about anyone suspicious trying to join their groups. so, it's not nothing, it's just being undeservedly linked to the convoy. 

I’ve seen articles to that effect on multiple outlets (pretty sure I read the cbc one yesterday, they bury stories pretty quick on their website).

I suppose following my previous comparison to the G20 thugs, that one proved it’s maybe better to demonize all protesters, plan for the worst and hope for the best. Unfortunately we didn’t see this in practice with other protesters over the last few years (railroad blockades, BLM protest the PM joined (pre-vaccines)). These fears only seem to be front and centre for “right-leaning” protests.

Btw, just for clarity, I was pissed at antifa and their black bloc (were they being accidentally racist, lol?) for delegitimizing the peaceful protesters at the G20.

I would have liked to go to the nearby overpass today (barely a five minute walk, traffic cams show people gathered), but unfortunately there’s a possible covid exposure in my house so I need to be responsible and stay home.

• Options
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:

I’ve seen articles to that effect on multiple outlets (pretty sure I read the cbc one yesterday, they bury stories pretty quick on their website).

I suppose following my previous comparison to the G20 thugs, that one proved it’s maybe better to demonize all protesters, plan for the worst and hope for the best. Unfortunately we didn’t see this in practice with other protesters over the last few years (railroad blockades, BLM protest the PM joined (pre-vaccines)). These fears only seem to be front and centre for “right-leaning” protests.

Btw, just for clarity, I was pissed at antifa and their black bloc (were they being accidentally racist, lol?) for delegitimizing the peaceful protesters at the G20.

I would have liked to go to the nearby overpass today (barely a five minute walk, traffic cams show people gathered), but unfortunately there’s a possible covid exposure in my house so I need to be responsible and stay home.
    Good on ya for staying home. 

For my own knowledge... what other right leaning protests have occurred that caused unnecessary fears in terms of making sure police presence is available? 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:

For my own knowledge... what other right leaning protests have occurred that caused unnecessary fears in terms of making sure police presence is available? 
    I’ll be honest, I’m not even sure what constitutes a right-leaning protest anymore. I suppose I’m going by the words of our Prime Minister who is quick to link the Conservative party with the “far right”, as he did in his remarks yesterday. I’ll try to stick with just labeling protests by the cause, as used to be the norm, lol.

Here’s the article Hugh mentioned.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/organizer-extremists-convoy-no-violence-1.6327650

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:

found it: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/organizer-extremists-convoy-no-violence-1.6327650
    There will always be fringe elements in any protest…

it seems people in politics and the media seem to forget the punks causing vandalism last summer including torching churches…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:

I was going to mention the hospital protests that happened, but as I said I’m no longer sure what’s right or left anymore. Thank you for asking the question and making me think a bit more about it.

• Options
    It’s not just truckers opposed to mandate, Windsor biggest employer Chrysler has held off on vaccine mandates until March…The union has a grievance in (and the. Unions are as left as they come.). And the union can keep te grievance from being dealt with far past March. I believe Ford has held off, union grievance… The local school board has no vaccine mandate for staff or students…and the dolts running this country want me to be concerned about truckers who work isolated who deliver food and goods that we all need….not going to happen. I support truckers. Ex wife drove long haul. They work hard…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    https://youtu.be/itbSIqY4Nnw

It'll be my last RB clip posting, just focus on the message.  He does stir up some interesting points.
    Thanks
    C
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Just saw some footage (not sure when it’s from) of people starting to encroach on the highway to the point of the police moving them back. That’s probably what caused the closure of that on-ramp, and that’s where some of the supporters cross over to the dumbass category for me.

• Options
  • Options
    Just saw some footage (not sure when it’s from) of people starting to encroach on the highway to the point of the police moving them back. That’s probably what caused the closure of that on-ramp, and that’s where some of the supporters cross over to the dumbass category for me.
    I saw that as well. People are frustrated and pissed…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Nami said:

It'll be my last RB clip posting, just focus on the message.  He does stir up some interesting points.
    Thanks
    C
    Great video…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Nami said:

Thanks
    C
    Great video…
    Agreed, thanks for sharing Nami.

• Options
    I think they out fundraised Trudeau’s liberals…probably why he pissed. People like and respect truckers…Politicians, not so much…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    I think they out fundraised Trudeau’s liberals…probably why he pissed. People like and respect truckers…Politicians, not so much…
    Love that the remainder is going to the Vets.

Stay safe!
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Since airports are federally regulated it’s just unbelievable that the federal government Covid policy would not be air tight…but truckers who drive isolated are the problem…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,840
    Since airports are federally regulated it’s just unbelievable that the federal government Covid policy would not be air tight…but truckers who drive isolated are the problem…
    Where else are people at an airport supposed to eat if not at airport restaurants? It’s not like you can get takeout and go home. You’re stuck there. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,840
    “It feels like they are doing whatever they want”, he said. Except his feeling is wrong. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
  • Options
    Nami said:

Thanks
    C
    Here's the thing... and please help me understand this because I feel like I'm living in an alternate universe.  Before I even click on the clickbait here.. where is this media blackout?  What is a media blackout?  What constitutes a media blackout?  

Is he suggesting that the 'main stream media' aren't covering these things?  Cause I'm going to immediately call a full out BULL SHIT on this.  It is being covered by the media. In totality.  Some media organizations are biased, yes.  You can find out which ones by researching their political support and donations.  We have one state run media outlet, the CBC and they are.. wait it... covering these protests. So please help me understand how Brand is not engaging in harmful propaganda here based solely on the clickbait title of this video?  

What is a media blackout? 

"Why is no one in the main stream media talking about it?" - Russel Brand in his Propaganda video posted by Nami. 

As of this post: 

cbcnews.ca - it's the headline.
    globalnews.ca - it's the headline.
    ctvnews.ca - it's the headline.
    torontostar.com - (Left Leaning media - it's not the headline... but it's there, and yes, it's left biased, but it's there.)
    torontosun.com - (right leaning media - it's the headlines.)

Do I need to keep going here?  People need to stop eating the bullshit they're being fed. Facts are facts. Deal with them.  I don't want to hear any 'good points' from a man who is clearly trying to hoodwink and manipulate people. Full stop. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    Nami said:

Thanks
    C
    Here's the thing... and please help me understand this because I feel like I'm living in an alternate universe.  Before I even click on the clickbait here.. where is this media blackout?  What is a media blackout?  What constitutes a media blackout?  

Is he suggesting that the 'main stream media' aren't covering these things?  Cause I'm going to immediately call a full out BULL SHIT on this.  It is being covered by the media. In totality.  Some media organizations are biased, yes.  You can find out which ones by researching their political support and donations.  We have one state run media outlet, the CBC and they are.. wait it... covering these protests. So please help me understand how Brand is not engaging in harmful propaganda here based solely on the clickbait title of this video?  

What is a media blackout? 

"Why is no one in the main stream media talking about it?" - Russel Brand in his Propaganda video posted by Nami. 

As of this post: 

cbcnews.ca - it's the headline.
    globalnews.ca - it's the headline.
    ctvnews.ca - it's the headline.
    torontostar.com - (Left Leaning media - it's not the headline... but it's there, and yes, it's left biased, but it's there.)
    torontosun.com - (right leaning media - it's the headlines.)

Do I need to keep going here?  People need to stop eating the bullshit they're being fed. Facts are facts. Deal with them.  I don't want to hear any 'good points' from a man who is clearly trying to hoodwink and manipulate people. Full stop. 
    What stood out to me as I watched was his emphasis on working to unite not divide.

Also, there was a really good line about if you believe what the government is telling you, have a little think about it.

Yes, it was amusing that he only used video from CBC (there were also a couple screenshots from Global as well I believe). Personally I haven’t said the media’s not covering the story, I’m just bothered by the tone of the coverage. CBC last night was flat out incendiary in both the “story” they presented and the At Issue panel.

Maybe Brand was referring to the international media?

• Options
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    The day the media took 650 million from the government is the day you have started to question everything. Especially the CBC…which should be defunded…1.5 billion could be used to build hospitals which is something all Canadians need…what we don’t need is a relic of a state broadcaster…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    It’s not just the right, unions are as left as they come. These truckers are NOT a fringe group…
    Give Peas A Chance…