Options

Should AMT be shut down?

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,912
    jeffbr said:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

We should have a flag or ban policy for lurkers and late chimers too?
    Anyone else disagree?

Why do you think that would be necessary?
    Lurkers and late chimers drop in with a dust of words.
    Far worse than an evil troll.
    If you are in a conversation be in it.
    I often lurk and make no comment at all, because it's a topic I am ignorant of and read solely to learn about it. I'll make a comment later sometimes if I feel I am up to speed and have formed an intelligent opinion.

why would you consider that worse than trolling?

Trolling is far worse than, lurking or just throwing a quick comment out and those who do it know it. It's part of the twisted game. Even worse is bating someone to a point where someone gets banned because they get sick and tired of the bated. Been there and that person knows it. So I'll say it again, don't feed the trolls and don't get sucked into the sick games some people play. It's they who are weak and probably have a low self esteem.
    Completely agree with you, Brian. And Hugh as well. I am definitely more of a lurker than a poster these days. I read every post on AMT. I'm here daily. But I only rarely chime in these days. Anyway, there are a number of reasons why I might not post in a thread, or be a late-chimer (will this make it into the dictionary next year?). 1. I may not feel like I know enough about the topic. 2. Others may have already made the points I would have. 3. Based on #1 I may need time to read other sources to formulate an opinion, and come into a thread late. 4. I don't feel like getting into an Internet squabble that day.

I am relatively harmless with my late-chiming, or my occasional posting. I think trolling is much more insidious. The troll can hide behind tiny pieces of relevancy in posts, but the motivation often appears to be something more personal with them. Baiting, blathering nonsense that doesn't parse, goading others into their game. I hope they do it strictly for the sport, and not due to some underlying personality disorder. If it is for sport, I just hope the thrill of victory is more rewarding to them than meaningful social interaction.
    This is great, jeffbr. What you're saying makes sense and I would say a well worded rare post or late chime like yours is worth more than (and I'm guilty of this at times) a whole slew of rambling posts. Well done, Jeff!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    probably 78% - 83% of all threads found here on this site could very easily disappear forever & we'd all be better off. some of the insanity remains for years on the first page in certain categories. sometimes one could sit here on this website in certain categories & be inspired to literally pluck their eyebrows out, pull their fingernails out w/ pliers & set fire to their desk... i kid you not. one could even run through a wall if given a minute or two to crash on thru the bastard. ok some may require a couple hours, that's fine.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,284
    chadwick said:

probably 78% - 83% of all threads found here on this site could very easily disappear forever & we'd all be better off. some of the insanity remains for years on the first page in certain categories. sometimes one could sit here on this website in certain categories & be inspired to literally pluck their eyebrows out, pull their fingernails out w/ pliers & set fire to their desk... i kid you not. one could even run through a wall if given a minute or two to crash on thru the bastard. ok some may require a couple hours, that's fine.

Where the fuck you been. Seriously.

Much needed contributions.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,794
    mickeyrat said:

chadwick said:

Where the fuck you been. Seriously.

Much needed contributions.
    Agree. Solid gold.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    chadwick said:

You see folks... this is the standard.

No messing around here right down to the accuracy of the thread count that needs to be purged. This is the work of a Hall of Famer, folks.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    jeffbr said:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

We should have a flag or ban policy for lurkers and late chimers too?
    Anyone else disagree?

Why do you think that would be necessary?
    Lurkers and late chimers drop in with a dust of words.
    Far worse than an evil troll.
    If you are in a conversation be in it.
    I often lurk and make no comment at all, because it's a topic I am ignorant of and read solely to learn about it. I'll make a comment later sometimes if I feel I am up to speed and have formed an intelligent opinion.

why would you consider that worse than trolling?

Trolling is far worse than, lurking or just throwing a quick comment out and those who do it know it. It's part of the twisted game. Even worse is bating someone to a point where someone gets banned because they get sick and tired of the bated. Been there and that person knows it. So I'll say it again, don't feed the trolls and don't get sucked into the sick games some people play. It's they who are weak and probably have a low self esteem.
    Completely agree with you, Brian. And Hugh as well. I am definitely more of a lurker than a poster these days. I read every post on AMT. I'm here daily. But I only rarely chime in these days. Anyway, there are a number of reasons why I might not post in a thread, or be a late-chimer (will this make it into the dictionary next year?). 1. I may not feel like I know enough about the topic. 2. Others may have already made the points I would have. 3. Based on #1 I may need time to read other sources to formulate an opinion, and come into a thread late. 4. I don't feel like getting into an Internet squabble that day.

I am relatively harmless with my late-chiming, or my occasional posting. I think trolling is much more insidious. The troll can hide behind tiny pieces of relevancy in posts, but the motivation often appears to be something more personal with them. Baiting, blathering nonsense that doesn't parse, goading others into their game. I hope they do it strictly for the sport, and not due to some underlying personality disorder. If it is for sport, I just hope the thrill of victory is more rewarding to them than meaningful social interaction.
    Hey Jeff,your late chime ins are usually on point and very relevant,and well timed.I for one usually agree with a lot of your positions on certain topics.(Great minds,lol)
    So feel free to continue to hit and run.
  • Options
    Very funny how 99% of the people have NO problem with late chimers and occasional posting…
    Actually it's not funny. It's how things should be...
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,994
    chadwick said:

If AMT were an inspirational dramedy this post would be its slow clap moment.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    I'm totally stoked to see some of you fine people here who don't frequent AMT as often as us regulars. Your presence lends a lot of nice coloration, texture and added value to this place. :clap:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Here's an idea: What if every regular AMT poster here only posted on AET where everybody pretty much farts around and haves a good time and all those who mainly post in AET come here for a week and smooth this ride out?

• Options
    ^^^
    What is your favourite food?
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    mangoes...lol since you asked
  • Options

^^^

Raw Power with a side of Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables.

• Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,243
    brianlux said:

^^^

:rock_on:You are the best, Mr. Lux.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    SD48277 said:

brianlux said:

^^^

:rock_on:You are the best, Mr. Lux.
    nice
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:

Here's an idea: What if every regular AMT poster here only posted on AET where everybody pretty much farts around and haves a good time and all those who mainly post in AET come here for a week and smooth this ride out?

I agree with your previous comment, B! As to the above, I tend to flit around amongst the forums ;)
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:

I agree with your previous comment, B! As to the above, I tend to flit around amongst the forums ;)
    You called?

I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

You called?

'ello, Guvnah!
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,836

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

You called?

Was it the farts that brought you empty :wink:
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

You called?

Was it the farts that brought you empty :wink:
    It was you. I sniffed you out
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    ^^^ Now we're getting somewhere!

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

• Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,836
    I wasn't even here all day. So that wasn't me you sniffing good sir.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options

I wasn't even here all day. So that wasn't me you sniffing good sir.

Oh, it was you. #CanadianScent
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    Oops. :blush:
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Oops. :blush:

:lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    often's got moxie :bow:
  • Options
    hedonist said:

often's got moxie :bow:

Is Often often moxie or currently has moxie
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    :whistle:
This discussion has been closed.