Options

Should AMT be shut down?

Comments

• Options
    Is openly asking mods about an issue in a thread considered flagging?
    There are many reasons to flag something for the attention of a moderator.
    I think it got combined so as to keep the original thread on topic.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    dankind said:

rr165892 said:

Nice tractor avatar Dan.I don't see a beach anywhere near them hills.lol

You're right. That picture was taken in Vermont. I spent my entire Labor Day weekend bush-hogging that field. The bush grows pretty thick up there and gets awfully tangled with goldenrod.

Also, the Mad River, true to its namesake, has some wicked currents.

And don't get me started on mud season.
    What beach do you call home?
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242

I asked for clarity. I left for dinner--there were two threads. I return from dinner--there is one combined with the other. The other thread seemed to be mocking this one--no need to combine it with this one. I did not click on the "Flag" next to the user's name, therefore do not consider it flagging.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,826

In my opinion flagging is when you hit the flag button so as to directly draw the mods attention to a post you don't like secretively. They only two times I find this appropriate is if someone has threatened someone else with actual physical harm of threatened to do themselves physical harm. Asking a question openly and honestly is a whole other way of communicating.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682

In my opinion flagging is when you hit the flag button so as to directly draw the mods attention to a post you don't like secretively. They only two times I find this appropriate is if someone has threatened someone else with actual physical harm of threatened to do themselves physical harm. Asking a question openly and honestly is a whole other way of communicating.
    ^^Yep
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited October 2015
    Yes I know you didn't flag it.
    But are you assuming the mods read every single post?
    What if they don't read your question?, it will never get answered from a mod perspective.
    Just flag it and get a quick answer. You do no harm and you get your question answered.

edit - in fact, when you do flag it asks you a reason why you flagged it.
    You have to type in your reason before hitting send.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options

What if they don't read your question?, it will never get answered from a mod perspective.
    Just flag it and get a quick answer. You do no harm and you get your question answered.

Flagging is a way of indicating there was something inappropriate about the post. If the mods don't answer your question you can PM the question directly if it really needs a direct answer. By flagging you are directly lodging a complaint about that post, which I think the majority of posters here are aware of. Still two different things.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options

Flagging is a way of indicating there was something inappropriate about the post. If the mods don't answer your question you can PM the question directly if it really needs a direct answer. By flagging you are directly lodging a complaint about that post, which I think the majority of posters here are aware of. Still two different things.
    I disagree.
    There are many reasons to flag.
    Would it not be faster and easier to pm the mods for questions about your thread?
    Flagging would get it solved just as fast as well.
    Why the need to communicate with the mods in public. They are moderators and do things behind the scenes.
    Just like combining the two threads.
  • Options

I disagree.
    Would it not be faster and easier to pm the mods for questions about your thread?
    Why the need to communicate with the mods in public. They are moderators and do things behind the scenes.
    I have also PM'd one of the mods. Someone else commented on it, so it wasn't just me that wondered what happened.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,690

Good explanation of only two reasons you and others have shared as acceptable. I agree. However so you know this clearly doesn't fit someone else's understanding of the usage of the flags. This means you should likely be prepared to suffer the repercussions of stating something you believe that others do not. I don't know what that means but it was a threat that was made. Something about needing to nut up or sack up or some other foolishness as well.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,690
    Sorry it was "grab a pair" not nut up or sack up. Same difference.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

I disagree.

Some people are big proponents of openess and honesty. As previously stated if you have a question you can choose to PM the mods if you desire a direct answer to your question. Again I will state that flagging a post is to indicate that it is in some way inappropriate with no explanation. I can only guess that an inquiry about a decision is made because clarification is wanted not reporting of said post.
    An example: Can you please explain how constantly hammering at the flagging question is related to the topic of the OP's post?
    See no flagging required even though your original statement operates outside the posting guidelines. Just simply a question asking for clarification.
    Post edited by northerndragon on

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    i think if someone has a problem they should grow a pair and sack up ,put it out in the public.

Don't hide like puss behind the flag button.Lay it out,put it up for debate.Maybe others have a different view and can shed some light on the issue at hand.

If I take exception to something ,im a grown ass man,I will come to the person who I have issue with not the Mods.I would expect the same if I caused someone to question my motives.

People acting spineless does no one any good and just puts a stop to the free flow of discussion we all enjoy.And I'm sure Kat and Sea have much better things to do then babysit crying adults.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

i think if someone has a problem they should grow a pair and sack up ,put it out in the public.

Don't hide like puss behind the flag button.Lay it out,put it up for debate.Maybe others have a different view and can shed some light on the issue at hand.

If I take exception to something ,im a grown ass man,I will come to the person who I have issue with not the Mods.I would expect the same if I caused someone to question my motives.

People acting spineless does no one any good and just puts a stop to the free flow of discussion we all enjoy.And I'm sure Kat and Sea have much better things to do then babysit crying adults.

Exactly.
  • Options
    Hahaha.

Right on over the head there RR, nice.

I don't think that AMT should be closed as soany enjoy it. I do think that trolls should be banned and AMT has more bridges and hence more places for trolls to hide. (And hit the flag button)
  • Options
    edited October 2015

rr165892 said:

Exactly.
    Your statement here negates your argument above. Why make an argument then refute it yourself a few posts later? What would be the point in that?

• Options

rr165892 said:

Exactly.
    Your statement here negates your argument above. Why make an argument then refute it yourself a few posts later? What would be the point in that?
    I only read the part about mods babysitting crying adults before I posted.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I'm a lil late to the party because when I checked at lunch, we had one thread. Didn't realize that there were two combined and if one was mocking the other, don't understand why. I can PM or text SD for details though. No need to rehash here. Don't know that an answer was really figured out anyhow.

I have PM'd Kat and Sea about a few things that weren't in need of flagging. I did flag some posts of someone that many of us had concerns about worry of them physically harming themselves. They did reach out to that individual. I also PM'd about trying to get a thread to be a sticky. While that wasn't possible with that particular thread, I got a PM explaining and an apology for it taking so long. I do find that you needn't be flag happy. The mods do respond to PMs.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options

rr165892 said:

Exactly.
    So you are openly stating that you are entering into discussions without fully reading a post, and therefore not giving a voice to another poster? That is very bad form sir. The core of AMT is supposed to be a place for open debate, and there can be no open debate without full knowledge.

• Options

rr165892 said:

Exactly.
    So you are openly stating that you are entering into discussions without fully reading a post, and therefore not giving a voice to another poster? That is very bad form sir. The core of AMT is supposed to be a place for open debate, and there can be no open debate without full knowledge.
    No.
    Over time you tend to listen to some part of what people say and not others.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

rr165892 said:

Exactly.
    No.

:angry:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    :rofl:
  • Options

rr165892 said:

Exactly.
    No.

I see, so I can only guess you are making that statement with regards to yourself as it would be impolite to presumably imposed your statement onto other posters. I myself always try my best to fully read a post before responding and asking a question in my response if I did not feel I was clear on what the statement implied. I find this is the best way to have a forward thinking discussion rather than a childish argument.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

rr165892 said:

Exactly.
    No.
    Then quote or highlight the part agreed with. Someone takes the time to put out well-articulated statements, it's rather insulting to say that above.

Or just say nothing? God knows I've been there. Love the old save-draft feature.

:murica:
  • Options
    edited October 2015

rr165892 said:

Exactly.
    No.

I myself always try my best to fully read a post before responding and asking a question in my response if I did not feel I was clear on what the statement implied. I find this is the best way to have a forward thinking discussion rather than a childish argument.
    Finally we can agree on something! :joy:
  • Options
    hedonist said:

rr165892 said:

Exactly.
    No.
    Then quote or highlight the part agreed with. Someone takes the time to put out well-articulated statements, it's rather insulting to say that above.

Or just say nothing? God knows I've been there. Love the old save-draft feature.

:murica:
    I agree with the above highlighted part.
  • Options

rr165892 said:

Exactly.
    No.

I myself always try my best to fully read a post before responding and asking a question in my response if I did not feel I was clear on what the statement implied. I find this is the best way to have a forward thinking discussion rather than a childish argument.
    Finally we can agree on something! :joy:
    As per your previous post, I would have to respectfully disagree.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    If this isn't trolling I don't know what would be.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    We should have a flag or ban policy for lurkers and late chimers too.
    Anyone else disagree?

Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options

We should have a flag or ban policy for lurkers and late chimers too?
    Anyone else disagree?

Yes, I disagree.
    ELITIST FUK
This discussion has been closed.