Options

Should AMT be shut down?

Comments

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    But Enkidu makes good posts too, right? Oh, probably not. I agree about bars for excessive trolling and flagging though.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,690
    Enkidu said:

But Enkidu makes good posts too, right? Oh, probably not. I agree about bars for excessive trolling and flagging though.

Yes, of course you do!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Actually I think the bars are a little silly. But you know what I mean.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Got to suck being a moderator at times. Lotsa whining.

On Trolls don't get sucked in. Don't take it personal.

Don't challenge or antagonize mods.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Kat said:

badbrains said:

I have never understood why the trolls get a pass (until SEVERAL offences) and the responders defending themselves get the paddle, but whatever. just don't respond to them. simple as that.

Doesn't hurt to know some of the mods, or so I'm told.
    It's really not nice to try and undermine your friendly moderators with gossip. What you were told is untrue. Your current Warning state might be lifted after it's expired but you will not be able to post until then.

Banned again? Does somebody not like Badbrains? Wow...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,801

jeffbr said:

I believe the bars are automatically overlaid on a user's avatar when they are put on a warning in the system. It isn't something the mods can change apparently. Just like they can't change the banned avatar when a user is banned. I think it is goofy, and agree with Hugh, it seems silly and designed to "shame" the poster. I also think that the bars can be used by trolls to bait a user into jumping from warned to banned. It would be nice if the warning was something between the mods and the user, rather than a public thing.

As far as the original topic goes, the AMT should absolutely not be shut down. If someone is easily offended, the solution is not to enter the AMT. If someone can't control themselves, the solution is to take a little break from here, hopefully self-imposed, to chill out, and then come back with new perspective. This is the one place here that allows people to really be challenged and to engage in interesting and important discussions, and that shouldn't be stifled. I would suggest that anyone who thinks the AMT should be shut down should examine themselves instead of the forum to see where the problem is.

correct, the bars and the user banned thing is part of the software, and the mods can do nothing about it. it used to be private. you'd look at your profile to see what warning level you were at. 1 was one warning, 2 was second warning, 3 was permanent ban. levels 1 and 2 would decrease incrementally after 90 days based on good behaviour.

I've taken self-imposed breaks. I was gone for a few months not long ago. with the full intent on never coming back, initially. but then I got bored at work. LOL.

I used to get vexed by people trying to goad me and then I'd swear I was done here. No more though because I realized that it's better to ignore bating. For example, a while back someone here implied that my life as a book seller must be really cushy. In fact, just today while I was scouting for books in a thrift store a guy came up to me and starting calling me a capitalist pig and telling me that I'm taking advantage of others and then he told me to go fvck myself. Like most trolls, he has no idea what he is talking about. He has no idea that I'm 64 years old and have no financial means of ever fully retiring (not that I would anyway) or that my knees are shot such that it's difficult for me to get up from a crouched position or that my back, hands and elbows are shot from years of lifting tons of books. But so what? I figure he's the one who is weak. I just laugh. Ignore the trolls.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,911
    brianlux said:

jeffbr said:

I believe the bars are automatically overlaid on a user's avatar when they are put on a warning in the system. It isn't something the mods can change apparently. Just like they can't change the banned avatar when a user is banned. I think it is goofy, and agree with Hugh, it seems silly and designed to "shame" the poster. I also think that the bars can be used by trolls to bait a user into jumping from warned to banned. It would be nice if the warning was something between the mods and the user, rather than a public thing.

As far as the original topic goes, the AMT should absolutely not be shut down. If someone is easily offended, the solution is not to enter the AMT. If someone can't control themselves, the solution is to take a little break from here, hopefully self-imposed, to chill out, and then come back with new perspective. This is the one place here that allows people to really be challenged and to engage in interesting and important discussions, and that shouldn't be stifled. I would suggest that anyone who thinks the AMT should be shut down should examine themselves instead of the forum to see where the problem is.

correct, the bars and the user banned thing is part of the software, and the mods can do nothing about it. it used to be private. you'd look at your profile to see what warning level you were at. 1 was one warning, 2 was second warning, 3 was permanent ban. levels 1 and 2 would decrease incrementally after 90 days based on good behaviour.

I've taken self-imposed breaks. I was gone for a few months not long ago. with the full intent on never coming back, initially. but then I got bored at work. LOL.

I used to get vexed by people trying to goad me and then I'd swear I was done here. No more though because I realized that it's better to ignore bating. For example, a while back someone here implied that my life as a book seller must be really cushy. In fact, just today while I was scouting for books in a thrift store a guy came up to me and starting calling me a capitalist pig and telling me that I'm taking advantage of others and then he told me to go fvck myself. Like most trolls, he has no idea what he is talking about. He has no idea that I'm 64 years old and have no financial means of ever fully retiring (not that I would anyway) or that my knees are shot such that it's difficult for me to get up from a crouched position or that my back, hands and elbows are shot from years of lifting tons of books. But so what? I figure he's the one who is weak. I just laugh. Ignore the trolls.
    why the hell would someone just randomly come up to you and start yelling at you like that?

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

brianlux said:

jeffbr said:

why the hell would someone just randomly come up to you and start yelling at you like that?

Yeah really, especially when you deal in books and look like a Damn Hippy!???
    :wink:
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,690
    brianlux said:

jeffbr said:

A capitalist pig for being a bookseller? Crazy.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited October 2015
    Brian, you goddamn flipper, you!

I was a bookseller in my former life. And I may reenter the trade soon.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    brianlux said:

jeffbr said:

If he didn't like it you should have told him to go buy a Kindle...
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,043
    rgambs said:

brianlux said:

jeffbr said:

Likely wearing a store shirt. Buying cheaper at thrift then resell higher.

Guy doesn't realize how many books get trashed after so long on a thrift shelf.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I actually get why the guy might think we charge too much for some books. It's not unusual to come across a good book for $2 and sell it for $10. Before I went into the business, I thought it was a bit of a rip off. What most people don't understand is that a) they don't see our income numbers (I made a lot more money teaching) and b) we pay rent, insurance, payroll, heat, water, etc and the fact that a book that sits on the shelf for years (many do) they are taking up space and making no money.

As for why this guy came up out of the blue and started abusing me- who knows? The same guy has done this to me twice. You meet all kinds out there.
    dankind said:

Brian, you goddamn flipper, you!

I was a bookseller in my former life. And I may reenter the trade soon.

Nice! I hope it goes well for you, dankind.

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    rgambs said:

brianlux said:

jeffbr said:

LOL! Funny think is I think I'm more punk than hippie.

Well, peace anyway! :smiley:

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited October 2015
    i enjoy it here & get a chuckle out of the back & forth. sometimes i wish there were less rules & regulations in our lives.

example.
    last week a teenager threw a thing of light bulbs at me inside a walmart. i laughed so hard i fell over & wet myself. we then debated trophy hunting, politics, gourmet lollipop flavors & the illegal baseball (& tennis cards) card trade sweeping the nation
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    chad is rad.

What preceded the throwing of the bulbs?
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,927
    As someone who has posted very little in AMT I just wanted to chime in and say that I bet almost all of the people banned from here were playing with fire and knew that their posts would get attention and lead to at least a warning from a moderator. I bet there are very little to no people who get banned and never saw it coming.

I got one warning ever and I knew what I posted was absurd and going to cause a fuss. There are plenty of other forums if you don't want to play by the rules.

With that being said, I feel like AMT is a great way for many people to get thoughts off their chest and that it should stay forever.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    he wanted to hurt me i guess
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,911
    chadwick said:

he wanted to hurt me i guess

he wanted his blintzes for painting your fence.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    Lol
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,593
    edited October 2015
    I have been a jerk at times on here over the years and never got a warning. I don't think it is difficult not to get a warning. Just can't get sucked into an argument that is too personal.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Nice tractor avatar Dan.I don't see a beach anywhere near them hills.lol
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,826
    Not as long as there is an open, honest and respectful conversation going on. And other than a few posts that is what has been happening. Don't like the thread, don't go into it. Mocking someone else's thread in a childish fashion is just poor form.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    No.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    The people I see getting banned do so on their own accord. They've got nobody to blame but themselves.

The rules are set. If you don't like the playing field then don't play.

Breaking the rules... consistently... then complaining about getting reprimanded for breaking the rules and challenging authority in the process is not going to go well for you. Where in life does it?

I could live with no moderation- I've got relatively thick skin and feel I could hold my own- but there are some who aren't like me and want to participate here. For these people, the rules were designed (at least I think that's the case). The rules are not so restrictive that discourse is crippled. I feel they are fair.

I really enjoy this place. I feel there are many good people here. Realistically, I am much further ahead of my peer group in current events as a result of my participation here.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    edited October 2015
    Well that was weird, one thread hopped into another
    Post edited by jnimhaoileoin on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited October 2015
    rr165892 said:

You're right. That picture was taken in Vermont. I spent my entire Labor Day weekend bush-hogging that field. The bush grows pretty thick up there and gets awfully tangled with goldenrod.

Also, the Mad River, true to its namesake, has some wicked currents.

And don't get me started on mud season.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

rr165892 said:

You're right. That picture was taken in Vermont. I spent my entire Labor Day weekend bush-hogging that field. The bush grows pretty thick up there and gets awfully tangled with goldenrod.

Also, the Mad River, true to its namesake, has some wicked currents.

And don't get me started on mud season.
    I grew up there. Wicked hairy currents, Ani would like them.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    It would appear that this thread has been combined with another thread. I'm not sure what happened here. Could one of the mods explain, please?

ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    SD48277 said:

It would appear that this thread has been combined with another thread. I'm not sure what happened here. Could one of the mods explain, please?

I think they merged it because they saw it as a form of duplicate thread?
This discussion has been closed.