Options

Hillary won more votes for President

Comments

• Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    Does Hillary Clinton Understand the Biggest Divide in American Politics?
    Does Hillary Clinton understand that the biggest divide in American politics is no longer between the right and the left, but between the anti-establishment and the establishment?

I worry she doesn’t – at least not yet.

A Democratic operative I’ve known since the Bill Clinton administration told me “now that she’s won the nomination, Hillary is moving to the middle. She’s going after moderate swing voters.”

Presumably that’s why she tapped Tim Kaine to be her vice president. Kaine is as vanilla middle as you can get.

In fairness, Hillary is only doing what she knows best. Moving to the putative center is what Bill Clinton did after the Democrats lost the House and Senate in 1994 – signing legislation on welfare reform, crime, trade, and financial deregulation that enabled him to win reelection in 1996 and declare “the era of big government” over.

In those days a general election was like a competition between two hot-dog vendors on a boardwalk extending from right to left. Each had to move to the middle to maximize sales. (If one strayed too far left or right, the other would move beside him and take all sales on rest of the boardwalk.)

But this view is outdated. Nowadays, it’s the boardwalk versus the private jets on their way to the Hamptons.

The most powerful force in American politics today is anti-establishment fury at a system rigged by big corporations, Wall Street, and the super-wealthy.

This is a big reason why Donald Trump won the Republican nomination. It’s also why Bernie Sanders took 22 states in the Democratic primaries, including a majority of Democratic primary voters under age 45.

There are no longer “moderates.” There’s no longer a “center.” There’s authoritarian populism (Trump) or democratic populism (which had been Bernie’s “political revolution,” and is now up for grabs).

And then there’s the Republican establishment (now scattered to the winds), and the Democratic establishment.

If Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party don’t recognize this realignment, they’re in for a rude shock – as, I’m afraid, is the nation. Because Donald Trump does recognize it. His authoritarian (“I’ am your voice”) populism is premised on it.

“In five, ten years from now,” Trump says, “you’re going to have a worker’s party. A party of people that haven’t had a real wage increase in 18 years, that are angry.”

Speaking at a factory in Pennsylvania in June, he decried politicians and financiers who had betrayed Americans by “taking away from the people their means of making a living and supporting their families.”

Worries about free trade used to be confined to the political left. Now, according to the Pew Research Center, people who say free-trade deals are bad for America are more likely to lean Republican.

The problem isn’t trade itself. It’s a political-economic system that won’t cushion working people against trade’s downsides or share trade’s upsides. In other words, a system that’s rigged.

Most basically, the anti-establishment wants big money out of politics. This was the premise of Bernie Sanders’s campaign. It’s also been central to Donald (“I’m so rich I can’t be bought off”) Trump’s appeal, although he’s now trolling for big money.

A recent YouGov/Economist poll found that 80 percent of GOP primary voters who preferred Donald Trump as the nominee listed money in politics as an important issue, and a Bloomberg Politics poll shows a similar percentage of Republicans opposed to the Supreme Court’s 2010 Citizens United v. FEC decision.

Getting big money out of politics is of growing importance to voters in both major parties. A June New York Times/CBS News poll showed that 84 percent of Democrats and 81 percent of Republicans want to fundamentally change or completely rebuild our campaign finance system.

Last January, a DeMoines Register poll of likely Iowa caucus-goers found 91 percent of Republicans and 94 percent of Democrats unsatisfied or “mad as hell” about money in politics.

Hillary Clinton doesn’t need to move toward the “middle.” In fact, such a move could hurt her if it’s perceived to be compromising the stances she took in the primaries in order to be more acceptable to Democratic movers and shakers.

She needs to move instead toward the anti-establishment – forcefully committing herself to getting big money out of politics, and making the system work for the many rather than a privileged few.

She must make clear Donald Trump’s authoritarian populism is a dangerous gambit, and the best way to end crony capitalism and make America work for the many is to strengthen American democracy.
    http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/does_hillary_clinton_understand_biggest_divide_american_politics_20160725
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,179
    BS44325 said:

We are looking at two candidates with huge name recognition. In a change election if Hillary doesn't come out of the convention with at least a tie it will be hard to come back. The kitchen sink has pretty much been thrown at Trump already and he hasn't even spent a dime yet in the swing states.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/25/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-poll/index.html

I would argue the reverse. Clinton has had the kitchen sink thrown at her and Trump is practically getting away with murder.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Jason P said:

Putin - 1

Clinton - 0

Has anyone come out with a Rock 'Em Sock 'Em game for this yet?
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    BS44325 said:

We are looking at two candidates with huge name recognition. In a change election if Hillary doesn't come out of the convention with at least a tie it will be hard to come back. The kitchen sink has pretty much been thrown at Trump already and he hasn't even spent a dime yet in the swing states.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/25/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-poll/index.html

That article reads like a commentater of a horse race. Oh, the drama!
  • Options

I'm talking about mainstream media on TV where the average person gets their news. Not websites that are mostly for political junkies, who quite frankly already knew this. So the DNC is supposed to be a fair and unbiased committee helping all nominees equally. That clearly didn't happen.

You'll have to explain to me what is democratic about sending people on TV and other news outlets to demonize one of your parties candidates. Because that is exactly what happens. I thought America was about getting a fair shake. Whether it be in politics or your job.

After all this the fact that you think Hillary and the DNC are separate entities is laughable.

It's laughable for you to think that either party's plays by the rules the GOP is no better , either way this country eats shit come November it's just who's shit you like more at least ill come here and say there is no way I'm voting for Trump , I'm an immigrant I'll take her evil ways over his dung eating grin !!
    Nah I don't think the RNC were doing what the DNC was doing. Otherwise we never would have gotten Trump. If the RNC adapted the super delegate system like the dems have we'd be talking about a different candidate.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options

I'm talking about mainstream media on TV where the average person gets their news. Not websites that are mostly for political junkies, who quite frankly already knew this. So the DNC is supposed to be a fair and unbiased committee helping all nominees equally. That clearly didn't happen.

You'll have to explain to me what is democratic about sending people on TV and other news outlets to demonize one of your parties candidates. Because that is exactly what happens. I thought America was about getting a fair shake. Whether it be in politics or your job.

After all this the fact that you think Hillary and the DNC are separate entities is laughable.

It's laughable for you to think that either party's plays by the rules the GOP is no better , either way this country eats shit come November it's just who's shit you like more at least ill come here and say there is no way I'm voting for Trump , I'm an immigrant I'll take her evil ways over his dung eating grin !!
    Nah I don't think the RNC were doing what the DNC was doing. Otherwise we never would have gotten Trump. If the RNC adapted the super delegate system like the dems have we'd be talking about a different candidate.
    I believe that the RNC is really wishing they would have pushed Trump out at this point. He's going to wreck that party. They were so afraid of him running independent they bowed down to him.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,741

And as we get closer to the election, and people think about Trump winning, we get more minimizations and rationalizations. All of a sudden, it doesn't matter who the president is, because they're all the same. I don't think that's how it works. Trump would end up no different than Obama? There's nothing that supports this statement. Obama didn't have experience dealing in the international arena, but he obviously has a personality and skill set that worked. You think Trump has the same?

It worked? Interesting.

And you give no credit to negotiating multi-billion dollar deals? Interesting.
    Saying Trump's business deals will apply to diplomatic relations is one of the rationalizations. What he's done is profit oriented deals with like minded people. The only thing international about it is what different laws might apply to their business deals. His experience in this area doesn't override his ignorance, xenophobia, ego driven arrogance, and authoritarian approach.

A U.S. Senator typically has experience in negotiation that Trump doesn't, and these can be applied internationally as well.
  • Options
    Her experience(Iraq, Goldman, Emails, Email server)in this area does not override her ignorance, ego driven arrogance and authoritarian approach.
    Fixed
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

Those poll numbers are surprising. Basically they reflect Trump picking up lower educated undecideds. If Hillary plays it right, she can swing them back her way.

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    rssesq said:

Her experience(Iraq, Goldman, Emails, Email server)in this area does not override her ignorance, ego driven arrogance and authoritarian approach.
    Fixed

But maybe the fact that she has been in white house for 8 years, served as a senator and as Secretary of state. Whether you like her or not, it's more experience than trump. And there no arguing that.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,764
    Free said:

PJ_Soul said:

You're correct that her VP pick is irrelevant. But not for the reason you think. Clinton could have picked OJ Simpson and she will still beat the donald. He has no chance.

I really think you are either underestimating Trump or overestimating the American public.
    Exactly how many people does it take to tell you that Trump won't win before it sinks in??

You're grossly overestimating his potential.
    Who are you talking about? Are you saying that I should be listening to you and couple of other people on the AMT to determine whether or not Trump has a fighting chance??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,018
    PJ_Soul said:

Free said:

PJ_Soul said:

You're correct that her VP pick is irrelevant. But not for the reason you think. Clinton could have picked OJ Simpson and she will still beat the donald. He has no chance.

I really think you are either underestimating Trump or overestimating the American public.
    Exactly how many people does it take to tell you that Trump won't win before it sinks in??

You're grossly overestimating his potential.
    Who are you talking about? Are you saying that I should be listening to you and couple of other people on the AMT to determine whether or not Trump has a fighting chance??
    Nate Silver's typically highly-accurate polling should not be ignored, in spite of his earlier mistakes.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/#now

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Chachi for Secretary of Defense

• Options
    Lil Debbie for Sec. State. "Thank's for ALL your help Debb, HRC"
    She looks a bit like a young Chelsea. lol
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,764
    I think it's pretty fucked up that anyone thinks Trump is actually anti-establishment. It's almost like people believe the shit that spews from his mouth, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124

BS44325 said:

I would argue the reverse. Clinton has had the kitchen sink thrown at her and Trump is practically getting away with murder.
    Trump has done zero advertising yet. He is owning the free media while every attack on him completely fails to stick. He's the real Teflon Don.

• Options
    you should see what got cut from last night's interview
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/60-minutes-doesnt-air-hillary-dodge-about-dnc-interference-updated/article/2003476

talk about bullshit flowin from Rodham's mouth
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,507
    PJ_Soul said:

I think it's pretty fucked up that anyone thinks Trump is actually anti-establishment. It's almost like people believe the shit that spews from his mouth, lol.

Nobody that makes it this far is truly anti anything.

But, it's all in how you define it. Is he outside Washington? Well, perhaps, but obviously he has friends on both sides. That's why I think it's pretty fucked up that people think he's going to actually build a wall, let N. Korea get a nuke and abandon our typical allies. Which is basically what I think you're saying with your last sentence.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options

BS44325 said:

Those poll numbers are surprising. Basically they reflect Trump picking up lower educated undecideds. If Hillary plays it right, she can swing them back her way.

Certainly a possibility but she is too well known to change her likability/trustworthy numbers. Her only chance is to make Trump into an unacceptable alternative but to date that just hasn't worked. There are always the debates but I wouldn't bank on it. I personally was not impressed by one of his debates and yet he still managed to destroy every person who went against him. I am not sure what Hillary can do to change the narrative in a change election year.
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,507
    edited July 2016

BS44325 said:

What makes you think she can swing them back?

I also wouldn't worry too much about the polls after the 1st convention.
    Post edited by EdsonNascimento on
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Certainly a possibility but she is too well known to change her likability/trustworthy numbers. Her only chance is to make Trump into an unacceptable alternative but to date that just hasn't worked. There are always the debates but I wouldn't bank on it. I personally was not impressed by one of his debates and yet he still managed to destroy every person who went against him. I am not sure what Hillary can do to change the narrative in a change election year.
    Disagree...once the independents start seeing her campaign/speak more her numbers will improve. Watching the Clinton/Kaine interview on 60 minutes compared to Trump/Pence was like comparing Meet the Press to Sesame Street.

• Options

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Disagree...once the independents start seeing her campaign/speak more her numbers will improve. Watching the Clinton/Kaine interview on 60 minutes compared to Trump/Pence was like comparing Meet the Press to Sesame Street.
    And yet Sesame Street got a pretty big bounce. The average voter doesn't care about 60 minutes. They don't care about the post RNC convention/Trump speech analysis. They want change and they seem to be deciding to take the plunge on Trump. I lived under a Rob Ford election. I know of which I speak.
  • Options
    Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    edited July 2016

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

60mins didn't air a key portion of the interview. I wonder if Hillary will remove DWS after she reads through the leaks, because according to her she hadn't read anything which is why she couldn't comment on them. Haha

http://www.weeklystandard.com/60-minutes-doesnt-air-hillary-dodge-about-dnc-interference/article/2003476
    Post edited by Boxes&Books on
  • Options
    edited July 2016

BS44325 said:

What makes you think she can swing them back?

I also wouldn't worry too much about the polls after the 1st convention.
    Trump picked them up with a fear message. She'll need to turn that message, make it her own by conveying an approachable confidence & reassurance. That her experience will be able to meet their needs. At the same time, she needs to convince those swingers that Trump is actually the thing to be afraid of. Since she is a woman, she has the additional challenge to make sure she that her confidence isn't interpreted as being -----.
    Post edited by Kat on
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

And yet Sesame Street got a pretty big bounce. The average voter doesn't care about 60 minutes. They don't care about the post RNC convention/Trump speech analysis. They want change and they seem to be deciding to take the plunge on Trump. I lived under a Rob Ford election. I know of which I speak.
    The election is in a little over three months...not today

• Options
    Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    Gore just stated that he is voting for Clinton. WTF is going on here?!? lots of activity going on in the last 48hrs. Seems like they're trying to distract us from the real shit that's going down
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,840
    tonifig8 said:

Gore just stated that he is voting for Clinton. WTF is going on here?!? lots of activity going on in the last 48hrs. Seems like they're trying to distract us from the real shit that's going down

Why would this surprise you? Who else would he vote for?
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited July 2016
    I think that the WikiLeaks dump has taken away at least 25% of the Bernie supporters who were gonna hold their noses and vote for Hillary.

Three months to go, but I really don't think that this is something that the more idealistic Bernie backers will let go.

Some democrats might say that such a reaction is petulant or short-sighted, because everyone pretty much knew deep down that the DNC was juking the stats for Hillary. To have it confirmed, however, makes this bitter pill go down more like ipecac. The DNC fucked itself. Just dumb. I mean, how many times does someone have to hear "if you don't want it on the cover of the New York Times, then don't press send" before they get it?

Should be interesting to watch from the sidelines. I've got no horse in this race, maybe a slight nod to Trump -- but only because it would increase my chances of talking my wife into moving to Costa Rica, which will hopefully be far enough away from the fallout.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Manbearpig. I'm super cereal.
    mrussel1 said:

tonifig8 said:

Why would this surprise you? Who else would he vote for?
This discussion has been closed.