Options

Hillary won more votes for President

Comments

• Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562

Wasserman-Schultz is being hung out to dry by the Clinton campaign. She did all she possibly could to rig the primary for Clinton (most likely with Clinton's direction). What is it about the Clintons' power that makes people do such things? It is disgusting.

I bet she knows she wouldn't survive, but did what she did anyway to ensure an HRC win. She sacrificed herself.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,675
    Free said:

Wasserman-Schultz is being hung out to dry by the Clinton campaign. She did all she possibly could to rig the primary for Clinton (most likely with Clinton's direction). What is it about the Clintons' power that makes people do such things? It is disgusting.

I bet she knows she wouldn't survive, but did what she did anyway to ensure an HRC win. She sacrificed herself.
    But why??? I can't figure out why people worship the Clintons (I am referring to their political circle and not general voters here).
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Bloomberg to speak and endorse Hillary this week. Pretty big

Not really. Typical.

Free said:

But why??? I can't figure out why people worship the Clintons (I am referring to their political circle and not general voters here).
    Yeah, I'm with you there. Power, status and money all play a part. What is she being promised after this? She's not taking her re-election for congressional seat seriously against Tim Canova...
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,782
    I was very impressed by Tim Kaine and his speech was terrific. He has a very deep resume and is ready to assume the Presidency if it's ever necessary, heaven forbid. His life story, which I'm glad he shared, demonstrates that he's a good man with a good heart. It sounds like his entire family shares in his efforts at public service too. This is in real opposition to the other party's nominee whose entire life seems to have been solely about self-aggrandizement and personal wealth. Wealth is fine, but philanthropy is an awesome thing once wealth has been achieved. :) I like people who share their wealth...and I don't believe the Presidency is an entry-level position.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Kat said:

I was very impressed by Tim Kaine and his speech was terrific. He has a very deep resume and is ready to assume the Presidency if it's ever necessary, heaven forbid. His life story, which I'm glad he shared, demonstrates that he's a good man with a good heart. It sounds like his entire family shares in his efforts at public service too. This is in real opposition to the other party's nominee whose entire life seems to have been solely about self-aggrandizement and personal wealth. Wealth is fine, but philanthropy is an awesome thing once wealth has been achieved. :) I like people who share their wealth...and I don't believe the Presidency is an entry-level position.

Are you pro-life or pro-choice Kat?
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    That last statement is an excellent point that is lost by most trump supporters.

The presidency is NOT an entry level position. But most trump supporters think that in order to go outside of the establishment, you need someone that has never been in politics. Not a good idea when most of his campaign revolves around foreign policy and foreign trade deals. I think trump vastly underestimates how experience in dealing with world leaders is more than just making a deal to host the miss universe pageant.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,662
    Free said:

Bloomberg to speak and endorse Hillary this week. Pretty big

Not really. Typical.

Free said:

Yeah, I'm with you there. Power, status and money all play a part. What is she being promised after this? She's not taking her re-election for congressional seat seriously against Tim Canova...
    I am a big fan of Bloomberg. I think he is a very practical, pragmatic and intelligent person. I would support him for president in a heart beat
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Double post
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,875
    Free said:

Kat said:

Nice try. Kaine is pro-choice.. He doesnt' let his religious beliefs get into the way of his public service. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm not pro-abortion but I would encourage any member of my family not to have one. But I support the person's right to make their own decision.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,782
    I am pro-choice and comfortable with Tim Kaine because it's a difficult issue for a Catholic to navigate and he separates church and state just fine to me.
    "But ever since Kaine entered the Senate in 2012, he has had a perfect pro-choice voting record, according to NARAL Pro-Choice America and Planned Parenthood. He also insists that issues of reproductive choice and intimacy are personal decisions that the government has no place interfering with."
    http://www.vox.com/2016/7/23/12259036/tim-kaine-vice-president-abortion-views-explained
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mrussel1 said:

Free said:

Kat said:

Nice try. Kaine is pro-choice.. He doesnt' let his religious beliefs get into the way of his public service. There's nothing wrong with that. I'm not pro-abortion but I would encourage any member of my family not to have one. But I support the person's right to make their own decision.
    That's what it comes down to, for me.

Not to speak on her behalf, but pretty sure Kat is pro-choice.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

Kat said:

That's what it comes down to, for me.

Not to speak on her behalf, but pretty sure Kat is pro-choice.
    I would happily raise a child for a member of my family, but I'm not about to put that burden on anyone else. It's an intensely personal decision and as a male, I can't hope to understand everything that goes into it.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Kaine's as much a flip-flopper as Hillary is then.
    The Tim Kaine who has represented Virginia in the Senate since 2012 has seemed several shades more liberal on reproductive rights than the Tim Kaine who led the state as governor from 2006 to 2010. As Politico wrote in a deep-dive about Kaine’s “abortion predicament” earlier this month:

Kaine has tried to cultivate an image as an abortion-rights champion. He’s pleased reproductive rights’ groups with a perfect voting record. He’s railed against GOP attempts to defund Planned Parenthood. And he’s celebrated in their legal victories, including last week’s Supreme Court ruling tossing out a Texas law that tried limiting a woman’s access to abortion clinics.
    But it’s hard to know whether Kaine’s new look reflects his own changing attitudes, or the changing shape of the Democratic Party. In 2005, he ran for governor on promises to promote adoption, reduce abortion, and support the farce that is abstinence-only sex education. While in office, he backed a so-called partial birth abortion ban, which prohibits a certain method of mid- and late-term abortion, though he supported exceptions in cases where a woman’s health was endangered. He also supported a parental consent law that requires minors to get a parent’s signoff before obtaining an abortion—and though that law theoretically includes a “judicial bypass” option, teens are often prevented from using it by misinformation, as the Huffington Post has reported.

Kaine also bears some responsibility for Virginia’s “informed consent” law, which, among other things, requires women seeking abortions to submit to a medically unnecessary ultrasound. He said in 2008 that the law would provide “women information about a whole series of things, the health consequences, et cetera, and information about adoption.” But the Guttmacher Institute, a pro-reproductive rights research organization, has found that many states provide women with “incomplete or inaccurate information,” and that laws like the one Kaine shepherded into Virginia’s constitution often amount to “informational manipulation” of women in already vulnerable situations.

In 2007, NARAL Pro-Choice America gave Virginia an “F” in its annual reproductive freedom report and called Kaine a “mixed choice” governor. Two years later, Kaine incensed local and national women’s rights groups by signing a law that allowed the sale of “Choose Life” license plates whose proceeds went to anti-abortion crisis pregnancy centers. “It is unfortunate that, even after receiving thousands of messages from Virginians and pro-choice activists across the country, Gov. Kaine has opted to sign a bill that advances a divisive political ideology at the expense of women's health,” Nancy Keenan, then-president of NARAL, said at the time. .
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/07/22/hillary_clinton_picks_anti_abortion_tim_kaine_for_vice_president.html
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Oh, politicians aren't they swell? They can tell you one thing and do another. They will make promises and never act on them once elected. You've got a politician here with a history of being pro-life, yet people will eat it up that he's actually pro choice because he says he now is.

Really, guys? Think about this...
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,041
    Free said:

Oh, politicians are they swell? They can tell you one thing and do another. They will make promises and never act on them once elected. You've got a politician here with a history of being pro-life, yet people will eat it up that he's actually pro choice because he says he now is.

It's a loosing battle. A republican dressed as a democrat with a coal man who wavers on women's right to choose or Trump (need I say more?) or a third party candidate with basically zero chance of winning. What a mess!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Mess, indeed, Brian.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Free said:

Oh, politicians aren't they swell? They can tell you one thing and do another. They will make promises and never act on them once elected. You've got a politician here with a history of being pro-life, yet people will eat it up that he's actually pro choice because he says he now is.

Or maybe because he has voted that way?

You claim to want representative democracy but you ridicule politicians who change their views to represent their constituents as flip-flippers? How does that square?

Do you want politicians who listen to the changing will of the people or politicians who "stick to their guns" even as the issues shift under them?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Free said:

Kaine's as much a flip-flopper as Hillary is then.

The Tim Kaine who has represented Virginia in the Senate since 2012 has seemed several shades more liberal on reproductive rights than the Tim Kaine who led the state as governor from 2006 to 2010. As Politico wrote in a deep-dive about Kaine’s “abortion predicament” earlier this month:

Kaine has tried to cultivate an image as an abortion-rights champion. He’s pleased reproductive rights’ groups with a perfect voting record. He’s railed against GOP attempts to defund Planned Parenthood. And he’s celebrated in their legal victories, including last week’s Supreme Court ruling tossing out a Texas law that tried limiting a woman’s access to abortion clinics.
    But it’s hard to know whether Kaine’s new look reflects his own changing attitudes, or the changing shape of the Democratic Party. In 2005, he ran for governor on promises to promote adoption, reduce abortion, and support the farce that is abstinence-only sex education. While in office, he backed a so-called partial birth abortion ban, which prohibits a certain method of mid- and late-term abortion, though he supported exceptions in cases where a woman’s health was endangered. He also supported a parental consent law that requires minors to get a parent’s signoff before obtaining an abortion—and though that law theoretically includes a “judicial bypass” option, teens are often prevented from using it by misinformation, as the Huffington Post has reported.

Kaine also bears some responsibility for Virginia’s “informed consent” law, which, among other things, requires women seeking abortions to submit to a medically unnecessary ultrasound. He said in 2008 that the law would provide “women information about a whole series of things, the health consequences, et cetera, and information about adoption.” But the Guttmacher Institute, a pro-reproductive rights research organization, has found that many states provide women with “incomplete or inaccurate information,” and that laws like the one Kaine shepherded into Virginia’s constitution often amount to “informational manipulation” of women in already vulnerable situations.

In 2007, NARAL Pro-Choice America gave Virginia an “F” in its annual reproductive freedom report and called Kaine a “mixed choice” governor. Two years later, Kaine incensed local and national women’s rights groups by signing a law that allowed the sale of “Choose Life” license plates whose proceeds went to anti-abortion crisis pregnancy centers. “It is unfortunate that, even after receiving thousands of messages from Virginians and pro-choice activists across the country, Gov. Kaine has opted to sign a bill that advances a divisive political ideology at the expense of women's health,” Nancy Keenan, then-president of NARAL, said at the time. .
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/07/22/hillary_clinton_picks_anti_abortion_tim_kaine_for_vice_president.html

None of that shows he's a flip flopper. I'm pro-abortion, but I am not for partial birth abortions. Does that make me a flip flopper?
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited July 2016
    Free said:

They can't. They are too afraid of Trump to see anything else.
    From now until November they will fall even harder for anything a democrat will say no matter how many times it changes.
    It's a race to the polls and all about who can bring the most excited voter for them out to vote.
    The people who don't want to vote in this mess are the people who will let Trump win.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,018
    rgambs said:

Free said:

You claim to want representative democracy but you ridicule politicians who change their views to represent their constituents as flip-flippers? How does that square?

Do you want politicians who listen to the changing will of the people or politicians who "stick to their guns" even as the issues shift under them?
    I agree - I never understood the anger about "flip-flopping". If the economic, social and political landscapes are fluid and regularly change over time, and those landscapes provide the anecdotal and empirical points on which to base an opinion - then why shouldn't a politician's opinions be as fluid as those landscapes? In fact, as far as that goes - is there any other occupation where one is criticized for being open-minded and changing his or her mind when presented with new viewpoints?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Free said:

Oh, politicians are they swell? They can tell you one thing and do another. They will make promises and never act on them once elected. You've got a politician here with a history of being pro-life, yet people will eat it up that he's actually pro choice because he says he now is.

It's a loosing battle. A republican dressed as a democrat with a coal man who wavers on women's right to choose or Trump (need I say more?) or a third party candidate with basically zero chance of winning. What a mess!
    Interesting that you two are okay with Sanders and his evolution on gay marriage and his votes against gun control yet try to excoriate Kaine for been pro choice and having some common sense provisions.

OMG... he wants to reduce abortions and promote adoption?? What a piece of shit he is for that stance. Jesus Christ...
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

Have you read his history? One thing about politicians in general. They say lots of things, oh they love to talk. But his history shows more evidence of who he really is than him saying that he now supports the opposite of what he has supported in the past.
  • Options

Free said:

From now until November they will fall even harder for anything a democrat will say no matter how many times it changes.
    It's a race to the polls and all about who can bring the most excited voter for them out to vote.
    The people who don't want to vote in this mess are the people who will let Trump win.
    Fear. We said it before.
  • Options
    Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

Have you read his history? One thing about politicians in general. They say lots of things, oh they love to talk. But his history shows more evidence of who he really is than him saying that he now supports the opposite of what he has supported in the past.
    Have you read the part where "ever since Kaine entered the Senate in 2012, he has had a perfect pro-choice voting record, according to NARAL Pro-Choice America and Planned Parenthood."

Sounds like actions and not just words to me.
  • Options
    Free said:

Free said:

Fear. We said it before.
    I know but it is really ridiculous how afraid people are of Trump.
    It truly is.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

Have you read the part where "ever since Kaine entered the Senate in 2012, he has had a perfect pro-choice voting record, according to NARAL Pro-Choice America and Planned Parenthood."

I've lived Kaine through three different offices he held and he is a great guy. I'd vote for him every day of the week and not think twice. Virginia is now a lock and further narrows Trump's path to victory. I love all these people who are spending their time reading disinformation about Kaine and what he is and isn't. They didn't know jack shit about him until 48 hours ago. Anyone in VA will speak glowingly about him.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    benjs said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

I agree - I never understood the anger about "flip-flopping". If the economic, social and political landscapes are fluid and regularly change over time, and those landscapes provide the anecdotal and empirical points on which to base an opinion - then why shouldn't a politician's opinions be as fluid as those landscapes? In fact, as far as that goes - is there any other occupation where one is criticized for being open-minded and changing his or her mind when presented with new viewpoints?
    Follow the history...

h
    rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

You're just dying for him to be exactly who you want to be so you believe whatever you want to believe. That's what this whole voting thing is about.

Not looking at these politicians critically and looking at their political history but looking at them and thinking and hoping they'll do exactly what you want them to do. It's all wishful thinking, rather than critical thinking.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    Free said:

benjs said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

Follow the history...

Do you believe everything the politicians tell you? Do you believe that I pro-lifer is now pro-choice simply because Hillary asked him to be h
    rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

You're just dying for him to be exactly who you want to be so you believe whatever you want to believe. That's what this whole voting thing is about.

Not looking at these politicians critically and looking at their political history but looking at them and thinking and hoping they'll do exactly what you want them to do. It's all wishful thinking, rather than critical thinking.
    Are you suggesting that his Senate term is not a part of his history or are you just ignoring it so that you can believe what you want to believe?
  • Options
    Free said:

benjs said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

Follow the history...

Do you believe everything the politicians tell you? Do you believe that I pro-lifer is now pro-choice simply because Hillary asked him to be h
    rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

What a load of fucking bullshit and projection of the first order. Some are looking for him to be precisely what he's not so it can further negativity about the ticket. This ignores 99% of his positions and focuses on negative spin on one or two unfairly. It's precisely the same as if I say Sanders is pro gun because he voted to protect gun manufacturers from liability. Or that he hates gays because he voted against gay marriage in NH. Both of which he did.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    History says more than anything. It's more concrete than what he says today in his promise for the future.

Take that with a grain of salt.

We can sit here and argue about his history as a pro-lifer and as pro-choice, but I'm not going to sit around and hope that he's going to be pro-choice for our continuing future. His past is untrustworthy. He advocated for abstinence only sex education. That says a lot to me, now if he advocated for sex ed in high schools then I give him more leeway.

Please post his history of 2011 up till present please.
    Post edited by Free on
This discussion has been closed.