Hillary won more votes for President

Comments

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Kat said:

Nate Silver out-forecast almost everyone last time. I'm keeping an eye on him and his analysis again this time. Secretary Clinton took a hit but I think she'll rebound because she has the policies.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/

Nate Silver was already wrong on Trump once...

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-i-acted-like-a-pundit-and-screwed-up-on-donald-trump/
    Yeah he ignored his model.
    This is what I love - a guy is wrong once in a while, so then the obvious logic is he'll be wrong every step of the way going forward.

We live in an insane world.
    That isn't the logic being presented. The logic is that even Nate Silver is not infallible. By thinking he's infallible you are tempting fate instead.

Forecast has been adjusted and can be adjusted in either direction as the days and months move on. It is early.
    Who said he's infallible? He still has the most reasonable, comprehensive forecasts out there.
    I don't disagree. You are missing the point of my response. You have claimed that somebody is using the logic "that since he was wrong a couple of times then he must be wrong from here on out." Nobody has made that statement. You invented and projected that attitude onto others just to feel superior. You make yourself the sane one in the "insane world".
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,426
    I have a hard time understanding why a Sanders supporter would vote against his wishes. That just seems ignorant as hell.

I've heard that 67% of Sanders supporters are voting Clinton.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Kat said:

Nate Silver out-forecast almost everyone last time. I'm keeping an eye on him and his analysis again this time. Secretary Clinton took a hit but I think she'll rebound because she has the policies.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-i-acted-like-a-pundit-and-screwed-up-on-donald-trump/
    This is what I love - a guy is wrong once in a while, so then the obvious logic is he'll be wrong every step of the way going forward.

That isn't the logic being presented. The logic is that even Nate Silver is not infallible. By thinking he's infallible you are tempting fate instead.

Forecast has been adjusted and can be adjusted in either direction as the days and months move on. It is early.
    Who said he's infallible? He still has the most reasonable, comprehensive forecasts out there.
    I don't disagree. You are missing the point of my response. You have claimed that somebody is using the logic "that since he was wrong a couple of times then he must be wrong from here on out." Nobody has made that statement. You invented and projected that attitude onto others just to feel superior. You make yourself the sane one in the "insane world".
    Did you just invent the poster's motivation for the statement?
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499

It's still going to come down to Clinton v Trump. If Sanders' supporters are so butt hurt that they won't vote for Clinton to help her defeat Trump then I kind of hope he wins to teach them a lesson.

There is only one enemy here....that's the racist right wing republican party of which there is only one candidate.

Wow, you are starting to sound like a typical Trump voter here. The "Hope he wins to teach them a lesson" is 90% of the reason he has gained so much ground against the other GOP candidates.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Excellent article on what President Clinton II will do for America (it's even full of facts and statistics :-):
    prospect.org/article/what-hillary-clinton%E2%80%99s-agenda
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

Free said:

Clinton Endorsement Backfires as Sanders’ Supporters Look to Jill Stein

http://observer.com/2016/07/clinton-endorsement-backfires-as-sanders-supporters-look-to-jill-stein/

Yes it is opinion, but boy does it represent a ton of Sanders supporters.

Yep, my Facebook feed is most definitely filled with Stein support in place of the pervious Bernie support. There is plenty of Hillary resentment in that crowd that feels that their hard work and support was sabotaged by the Democratic Party.
    Their hard work is admirable, but it lost out to the mainstream candidate. It's that simple. Just because you lose, doesn't mean you got screwed. It's a terrible mentality to carry around.
    Yeah, keep preaching that to them, I'm sure they will change their mind and become Hillary lovers. Will you hold true to that statement if Trump wins?
    It's not my objective or role to convince our resident Sander's supporters. But I also don't like victim mentalities too, which seems to be prevalent in this crowd.
    Quite the opposite. Those who want us to vote for Hillary because of your fear of the Trump presidency? You're the ones playing the victim mentality and blaming others.
    mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

Free said:

http://observer.com/2016/07/clinton-endorsement-backfires-as-sanders-supporters-look-to-jill-stein/

Yep, my Facebook feed is most definitely filled with Stein support in place of the pervious Bernie support. There is plenty of Hillary resentment in that crowd that feels that their hard work and support was sabotaged by the Democratic Party.
    Their hard work is admirable, but it lost out to the mainstream candidate. It's that simple. Just because you lose, doesn't mean you got screwed. It's a terrible mentality to carry around.
    Yeah, keep preaching that to them, I'm sure they will change their mind and become Hillary lovers. Will you hold true to that statement if Trump wins?
    It's not my objective or role to convince our resident Sander's supporters. But I also don't like victim mentalities too, which seems to be prevalent in this crowd.

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

Free said:

Hillary blew it with Sanders supporters, she's actually the big loser here due to the sheer number of Bernie supporters she wants and needs desperately.
    What did HRC do that blew it? She moved on minimum wage, education and TPP. Sounds like she adjusted her platform to accommodate.
    You say you know what Bernie supporters are all about, why don't you answer your own question?
    Free said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

mrussel1 said:

PJPOWER said:

Free said:

Quite the opposite. Those who want us to vote for Hillary because of your fear of the Trump presidency? You're the ones playing the victim mentality and blaming others.
    I don't remember telling you to fear Trump. As I've said over and over, elections are about choices and a rational person will vote for someone that best represents their worldview or values, even if it doesn't align perfectly. I'm against $15 minimum wage. I think it should be indexed. I don't agree with the free tuition and I've been clear I definitely support the TPP. But on balance, I would prefer HRC to Trump so even though those policies don't sit well, I don't want to burn the place down.

I have a hard time understanding why a Sanders supporter would vote against his wishes. That just seems ignorant as hell.

Voting for Hillary would go against our wishes. You got that right.

And speaking of polls, and I know so many of you do, even when they mean nothing...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/07/12/us/politics/ap-us-ap-poll-young-americans-clinton-key-findings.html?_r=1&referer=http://usuncut.com/politics/hillary-clinton-bad-week/

Poll: Clinton Struggles to Make Inroads With Young Voters
    WASHINGTON — Hillary Clinton is having trouble attracting younger voters who enthusiastically backed Bernie Sanders during the Democratic presidential primary, according to a first-of-its-kind poll that pays special attention to the voices of young adults of color.

The new GenForward poll of adults ages 18 to 30 shows that a majority of the nation's younger blacks and Asian-Americans have a favorable impression of Clinton, but the presumptive Democratic nominee struggles with whites and Hispanics.

Here's a look at some of the findings from the survey conducted by the Black Youth Project at the University of Chicago with the Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research.

___

WEAKNESS AMONG WHITE AND HISPANIC YOUNG VOTERS

Just 26 percent of young whites and 49 percent of Hispanics have a positive opinion of the former secretary of state. Both groups overwhelmingly say she is not trustworthy.

The survey widely polled young adults, not necessarily registered or likely voters, but the findings suggest Clinton may struggle to turn out voters aged 18 to 30. While Clinton emerged victorious in her unexpectedly tough primary with Sanders, the contest revealed a stunning weakness with such young voters.

The GenForward poll found that among those who preferred Sanders in the primaries, only half are prepared to say they'll back Clinton in her general election face-off with presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump.

Clinton's support is strongest among young blacks, half of whom consider her honest and trustworthy and two-thirds of whom say they have a favorable opinion of Clinton. Among young Asians, 55 percent view Clinton at least somewhat favorably.

___

LESSER OF TWO EVILS

While Clinton campaign officials acknowledge their candidate's disconnect with young people, they see the prospect of a Trump presidency as perhaps the best way to motivate those voters in November.

Indeed, the GenForward poll found that Trump's standing with young people is staggeringly negative. Just 19 percent of young voters have a favorable opinion of the businessman. Among minorities, a paltry 6 percent of African-Americans, 10 percent of Hispanics and 12 percent of Asian-Americans see him favorably. Trump performs strongest with young whites.

"I'm very afraid of the potential for his presidency," said Emily Erickson, a 30-year-old from Minneapolis who is planning to vote for Clinton. Erickson, who is interested in social justice and women's issues, said Trump is "not thoughtful or willing to be intelligent."

But Clinton's campaign may not simply be able to count on young voters seeing her as the lesser of two evils in a race against Trump. Seven in 10 young voters — including majorities of blacks, whites, Asians and Hispanics — say they are unsatisfied with the race between Clinton and Trump and want the option of a third party candidate.

___

REBUILDING THE OBAMA COALITION

Young people were an important part of the diverse coalition Obama put together during his two successful White House runs. Exit polls found that Obama carried 66 percent of voters 18-30 years old in the 2008 election and 60 percent during his re-election campaign.

While Obama carried the majority of younger white voters in 2008, his support dipped to 44 percent in 2012. The president had the overwhelming backing of black and Hispanic voters under 30 in both campaigns, mirroring his overall support from both groups.

But the GenForward poll shows weaknesses in Clinton's support among young Hispanics, who prefer Sanders to Clinton by nearly a 3-to-1 margin. More than 4 in 10 had an unfavorable opinion of Clinton, and they were also more likely to say Clinton is untrustworthy and slightly more likely to say she's unqualified to be president than young African-Americans.

___

REACHING OUT TO SANDERS VOTERS

Clinton has made moves in recent days to attract some of Sanders' loyal young supporters, including unveiling a college affordability plan that would make in-state tuition free for families making $125,000 or less per year. Sanders proposed free tuition at public higher education institutions for all, a plan supported by three-quarters of young adults, according to the survey.

Sanders formally endorsed Clinton on Tuesday during a rally in New Hampshire, a step her campaign sees as an important signal to the Vermont senator's backers.

Clinton spokeswoman Xochitl Hinojosa said the candidate "believes we must do everything we can to make sure that millennial voters have their voice heard in our campaign." She noted that the campaign recently hired three former Sanders aides to lead an effort to boost outreach to young people.

edited July 2016
    Something that anti-Bernie supporters don't understand about us: we won't just "fall in line". And we remember how she treated us, which was far from nice. If she thinks that she can convert us that easily? It's just plain funny as Hell.
    I am just about fed up with this thread being hijacked with the Bernie vs. Hillary argument. Can the Bernie supporters go back to the Bernie thread that Kat re-created as a special place for you to whine about losing? Can we please re-commit this thread to a substantive discussion of Clinton's policies as a candidate? Seriously, nobody really gives a shit if a marginal number of voters vote for Stein. Go for it. It's your right as an American. Folks, please stop responding to Free's bullshit in this thread!!! Do it somewhere else. Please.
    No reason to get upset their dreams Wet dreams... It ALL has to do with Hillary, if you haven't noticed.
    Free said:

No reason to get upset their dreams Wet dreams... It ALL has to do with Hillary, if you haven't noticed.

No, what I've noticed is that it's all about you.

Free said:

Getting personal is not allowed, if you don't liked negative evidence against Hillary, I don't know what to tell you.
    Free said:

Something that anti-Bernie supporters don't understand about us: we won't just "fall in line". And we remember how she treated us, which was far from nice. If she thinks that she can convert us that easily? It's just plain funny as Hell.

How has Hillary treated you poorly? It's quite the opposite in my mind. Sanders's supporters went personal on Hillary starting in Feb, reviving the 90's attacks, Vince Carter etc. This is the part that makes no sense. What did she do to you? Like I pointed out earlier, she made some strong concessions on the platform.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,663
    Free said:

Free said:

Getting personal is not allowed, if you don't liked negative evidence against Hillary, I don't know what to tell you.
    Um.....not getting personal??....

Free said:

Free said:

Um.....not getting personal??....
    Not playing games, good try. Speaking into the phone causes errors, and I didn't catch that one.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    edited July 2016
    Free said:

Not playing games, good try. Speaking into the phone causes errors, and I didn't catch that one.

come on.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Kat said:

Did you just invent the poster's motivation for the statement?
    Ahhhh...I see you are taking advantage of the Hillary/Comey defence
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    Free said:

And speaking of polls, and I know so many of you do, even when they mean nothing...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/07/12/us/politics/ap-us-ap-poll-young-americans-clinton-key-findings.html?_r=1&referer=http://usuncut.com/politics/hillary-clinton-bad-week/

WASHINGTON — Hillary Clinton is having trouble attracting younger voters who enthusiastically backed Bernie Sanders during the Democratic presidential primary, according to a first-of-its-kind poll that pays special attention to the voices of young adults of color.

The new GenForward poll of adults ages 18 to 30 shows that a majority of the nation's younger blacks and Asian-Americans have a favorable impression of Clinton, but the presumptive Democratic nominee struggles with whites and Hispanics.

Here's a look at some of the findings from the survey conducted by the Black Youth Project at the University of Chicago with the Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research.

___

Just 26 percent of young whites and 49 percent of Hispanics have a positive opinion of the former secretary of state. Both groups overwhelmingly say she is not trustworthy.

The survey widely polled young adults, not necessarily registered or likely voters, but the findings suggest Clinton may struggle to turn out voters aged 18 to 30. While Clinton emerged victorious in her unexpectedly tough primary with Sanders, the contest revealed a stunning weakness with such young voters.

The GenForward poll found that among those who preferred Sanders in the primaries, only half are prepared to say they'll back Clinton in her general election face-off with presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump.

Clinton's support is strongest among young blacks, half of whom consider her honest and trustworthy and two-thirds of whom say they have a favorable opinion of Clinton. Among young Asians, 55 percent view Clinton at least somewhat favorably.

___

LESSER OF TWO EVILS

While Clinton campaign officials acknowledge their candidate's disconnect with young people, they see the prospect of a Trump presidency as perhaps the best way to motivate those voters in November.

Indeed, the GenForward poll found that Trump's standing with young people is staggeringly negative. Just 19 percent of young voters have a favorable opinion of the businessman. Among minorities, a paltry 6 percent of African-Americans, 10 percent of Hispanics and 12 percent of Asian-Americans see him favorably. Trump performs strongest with young whites.

"I'm very afraid of the potential for his presidency," said Emily Erickson, a 30-year-old from Minneapolis who is planning to vote for Clinton. Erickson, who is interested in social justice and women's issues, said Trump is "not thoughtful or willing to be intelligent."

But Clinton's campaign may not simply be able to count on young voters seeing her as the lesser of two evils in a race against Trump. Seven in 10 young voters — including majorities of blacks, whites, Asians and Hispanics — say they are unsatisfied with the race between Clinton and Trump and want the option of a third party candidate.

___

Young people were an important part of the diverse coalition Obama put together during his two successful White House runs. Exit polls found that Obama carried 66 percent of voters 18-30 years old in the 2008 election and 60 percent during his re-election campaign.

While Obama carried the majority of younger white voters in 2008, his support dipped to 44 percent in 2012. The president had the overwhelming backing of black and Hispanic voters under 30 in both campaigns, mirroring his overall support from both groups.

But the GenForward poll shows weaknesses in Clinton's support among young Hispanics, who prefer Sanders to Clinton by nearly a 3-to-1 margin. More than 4 in 10 had an unfavorable opinion of Clinton, and they were also more likely to say Clinton is untrustworthy and slightly more likely to say she's unqualified to be president than young African-Americans.

___

Clinton has made moves in recent days to attract some of Sanders' loyal young supporters, including unveiling a college affordability plan that would make in-state tuition free for families making $125,000 or less per year. Sanders proposed free tuition at public higher education institutions for all, a plan supported by three-quarters of young adults, according to the survey.

Sanders formally endorsed Clinton on Tuesday during a rally in New Hampshire, a step her campaign sees as an important signal to the Vermont senator's backers.

Clinton spokeswoman Xochitl Hinojosa said the candidate "believes we must do everything we can to make sure that millennial voters have their voice heard in our campaign." She noted that the campaign recently hired three former Sanders aides to lead an effort to boost outreach to young people.

So what are you doing here exactly? Trying to make an argument using poll results? You think that works for you as long as you insult polls and those who pay attention to them before you present the poll numbers that back up your own position?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    In an election year where people want change from a "get out the vote" perspective that is a down right dangerous list of speakers.
    BS44325 said:

In an election year where people want change from a "get out the vote" perspective that is a down right dangerous list of speakers.
    :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited July 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

Free said:

___

___

LESSER OF TWO EVILS

___

___

So what are you doing here exactly? Trying to make an argument using poll results? You think that works for you as long as you insult polls and those who pay attention to them before you present the poll numbers that back up your own position?

Not for my benefit, you know I don't care about them. But since everybody else believes them, May as well post the evidence that I found just like everybody else post their polls to support their arguments.

What am I doing here? I'm debating my side of the argument, thankyouverymuch.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    BS44325 said:

Lol
    edited July 2016
    Free said:

PJ_Soul said:

Free said:

___

___

LESSER OF TWO EVILS

___

___

Not for my benefit, you know I don't care about them. But since everybody else believes them, May as well post the evidence that I found just like everybody else post their polls to support their arguments.

Not very well, if you have now decided to use a debate tactic that you have been trashing for months now.
    So you're taking the "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" route with your discussion tactics now? Well, wonderful! I guess you can vote for Hillary now too. ;)

BS44325 said:

All of those speakers are enormously popular with Democrats. I'm looking forward to what each has to say.
    BS44325 said:

Yes... alas both parties can't have intellectual powerhouses like Trump, Bobby Knight and Tim Tebow. The Democrats will have to settle...
    edited July 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

Free said:

PJ_Soul said:

Free said:

___

___

LESSER OF TWO EVILS

___

___

Not very well, if you have now decided to use a debate tactic that you have been trashing for months now.
    So you're taking the "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" route with your discussion tactics now? Well, wonderful! I guess you can vote for Hillary now too. ;)

Not at all. And I see what you trying to do. :lol:

Moving on and back on topic...
    mrussel1 said:

Free said:

How has Hillary treated you poorly? It's quite the opposite in my mind. Sanders's supporters went personal on Hillary starting in Feb, reviving the 90's attacks, Vince Carter etc. This is the part that makes no sense. What did she do to you? Like I pointed out earlier, she made some strong concessions on the platform.
    Oh c'mon Free... Are you still on your 'I refuse to talk to you' policy with me?

Perhaps another Bernie supporter can detail how Hillary has treated them poorly.
This discussion has been closed.