Hillary won more votes for President

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,464
    tonifig8 said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

Question: Do we want a woman president because she is a woman or because she would make a good president? I would love to see both but I don't think Stein has much of a chance.

I don't know any women who would vote for a woman just because she's a woman. I guess there are women stupid enough to do that out there somewhere, but to suggest that this might be a common thing is actually an insult to female intelligence.
    Really?

It's all over the place. All you have to do is step outside. And I've heard many women say it proudly. Just because she is a woman.
    PJ_Soul doesn't live in America - it's kind of hard to get a clear understanding of things that are happening on the ground.

I would love to have an honest, ethical, and strong Female President. That would be a great moment. Just like in 2008 with Obama.
    OMG, yes.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,830
    edited November 2016
    tonifig8 said:

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

Question: Do we want a woman president because she is a woman or because she would make a good president? I would love to see both but I don't think Stein has much of a chance.

I don't know any women who would vote for a woman just because she's a woman. I guess there are women stupid enough to do that out there somewhere, but to suggest that this might be a common thing is actually an insult to female intelligence.
    Really?

It's all over the place. All you have to do is step outside. And I've heard many women say it proudly. Just because she is a woman.
    PJ_Soul doesn't live in America - it's kind of hard to get a clear understanding of things that are happening on the ground.

I would love to have an honest, ethical, and strong Female President. That would be a great moment. Just like in 2008 with Obama.
    Well yeah, if it's an American thing, I guess I wouldn't know (besides what I see everyday on social media and in the news and media in general...). Please remember that we do have elections outside of America, and that women are sometimes on the ballot, lol. I was speaking generally, not just in this election. So no, I don't know any women who would vote for a woman JUST because she's a woman (and in BC we know - our premier is a woman, and she is the WORST. I don't know anyone, male or female, who doesn't hate her). Are you guys sure that a lot of women are doing that in the US though? Or are you perhaps misinterpreting their reasoning (outside of a small noisy minority of idiots)? Because I have noticed that there is a misunderstanding about this sometimes, generally, but not always, from men who don't agree with voting for the woman in question. Because yes, that someone is a woman has an impact for other women because a female can, presumably or ideally, understand the needs of women better and act as a better representative for them (and children, some think). For sure. I am not denying that. It makes perfect sense in a world where women are not yet equal and require better representation. Remember how disgistingly underrepresented women are in governmemt. Men would flip out if they were that underepresented in government (or at least I hope they would). But that doesn't mean that women vote for her when she's got nothing else on the table. If she's a horrible politician with no redeeming qualities and who will most likely fuck everything up, but is a woman, most women are not going to vote for her just because she's female.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,830
    brianlux said:

^^^ Sorry PJ_S. I know you say what you mean, I'm just surprised you know of none who would do that.

I'm surprised you do.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    https://youtu.be/47XG_r0gUF8

Game, set and match.
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,985
    edited November 2016
    PJ_Soul said:
    Ahaha, always nice to see that high road being taken, lol.

I would also like to not lose anyone else, and would be thrilled if more people would join in... I wonder how many lurkers there are on the AMT? If any of you are reading this, speak up, we need some people to shake up our AMT bubble of aggression and low blows. :lol:
    I'll take the bait on that.

Quick summary: longtime lurker, first time responder; mid-30s, socially liberal, Red Catholic upbringing, moderately conservative network of friends/co-workers. I try to vote third party simply based on principle of believing we need more voices in the arena, I've never been particularly swayed by any presidential candidate in my life (kinda doubt that's possible, honestly), but voting Democratic this year mostly against Trump, but also somewhat in support of Hillary. I don't feel great voting for her, though I don't mind her, yet I also don't think Armageddon is on the horizon if Trump wins. I think a lot of people that bash Trump (which they may have a valid points for) vastly misinterpret his supporters. The majority of people I know voting for Trump are not stupid, they aren't hateful; they're good people and they work hard and care. Most of them don't necessarily care about big political issues (or, perhaps, the things that put his haters into a rage don't register with them, so they seem clueless?). They are apathetic to the system. Trump has somehow invigorated them into caring (obviously in different degrees), and I've seen some people get swept up in the euphoria of caring. I think anti-Trump people have so much emotion towards him as a person that they have a mental block when it comes to people that don't back away from supporting him. They see him as a person that will change a system that seems fucked up every presidential election, and honestly I respect that mentality and desire. But I think there could be someone smarter and better fit to fuck up the system.

Hope this hasn't angered anyone, not trying to get into one-on-one debates with you all at all. I enjoy reading these threads because I get exposed to lots of voices and idea and sources of information I wouldn't find otherwise, which makes me somewhat wiser, so thank you all for that. I also like the random moments I see one of AMT peeps make a Pearl Jam comment or two. Okay, rant over; America!
    Post edited by Vitalogensia on
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023; MSG 1 2024
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited November 2016
    BS44325 said:

https://youtu.be/47XG_r0gUF8

Game, set and match.

As scooby would say rut roh.

When was this?

Can you post the youtube link?
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books USA Posts: 2,672
    edited November 2016

Quick summary: longtime lurker, first time responder; mid-30s, socially liberal, Red Catholic upbringing, moderately conservative network of friends/co-workers. I try to vote third party simply based on principle of believing we need more voices in the arena, I've never been particularly swayed by any presidential candidate in my life (kinda doubt that's possible, honestly), but voting Democratic this year mostly against Trump, but also somewhat in support of Hillary. I don't feel great voting for her, though I don't mind her, yet I also don't think Armageddon is on the horizon if Trump wins. I think a lot of people that bash Trump (which they may have a valid points for) vastly misinterpret his supporters. The majority of people I know voting for Trump are not stupid, they aren't hateful; they're good people and they work hard and care. Most of them don't necessarily care about big political issues (or, perhaps, the things that put his haters into a rage don't register with them, so they seem clueless?). They are apathetic to the system. Trump has somehow invigorated them into caring (obviously in different degrees), and I've seen some people get swept up in the euphoria of caring. I think anti-Trump people have so much emotion towards him as a person that they have a mental block when it comes to people that don't back away from supporting him. They see him as a person that will change a system that seems fucked up every presidential election, and honestly I respect that mentality and desire. But I think there could be someone smarter and better fit to fuck up the system.

Hope this hasn't angered anyone, not trying to get into one-on-one debates with you all at all. I enjoy reading these threads because I get exposed to lots of voices and idea and sources of information I wouldn't find otherwise, which makes me somewhat wiser, so thank you all for that. I also like the random moments I see one of AMT peeps make a Pearl Jam comment or two. Okay, rant over; America!
    Bravo. Well said.
    Post edited by Boxes&Books on
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562

PJ_Soul said:

I would also like to not lose anyone else, and would be thrilled if more people would join in... I wonder how many lurkers there are on the AMT? If any of you are reading this, speak up, we need some people to shake up our AMT bubble of aggression and low blows. :lol:

Awesome first post in AMT.

PJ_Soul said:

Great post. The AMT could use more of that. Voting democrat but empathy for the Trump voter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2016/11/02/what-is-this-election-missing-empathy-for-trump-voters/
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,825
    edited November 2016
    .http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/heritage-foundation-raises-cash-to-help-gop-senators-block-supreme-court-nominees_us_58190747e4b0f96eba968e4c

For one branch of government to plot to bring the other two branches to their knees defines treason to me. If they continue in their plotting and treachery, I'd like to see the Justice Dept bring them all up on charges of treason. The trials would be a great lesson in government too.
    Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    That won't happen, they'd end up convicting themselves.
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

^^^ Sorry PJ_S. I know you say what you mean, I'm just surprised you know of none who would do that.

I'm surprised you do.
    Oh you should see the nefarious and shady characters I hang out with!

No, seriously, I do know some but remember, I work with the public and run into a lot of people.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,814
    Kat said:

.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/heritage-foundation-raises-cash-to-help-gop-senators-block-supreme-court-nominees_us_58190747e4b0f96eba968e4c

For one branch of government to plot to bring the other two branches to its knees defines treason to me. If they continue in their plotting and treachery, I'd like to see the Justice Dept bring them all up on charges of treason. The trials would be a great lesson in government too.

Slippery slope but I would be fine with that on the surface. There are probably other actions we could take like campaign finance reform, term limits, etc...

Go Cubs.
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Great post. The AMT could use more of that. Voting democrat but empathy for the Trump voter.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2016/11/02/what-is-this-election-missing-empathy-for-trump-voters/

Keep posting! Love to see new perspectives here left right center and far out!

Kat said:

For one branch of government to plot to bring the other two branches to its knees defines treason to me. If they continue in their plotting and treachery, I'd like to see the Justice Dept bring them all up on charges of treason. The trials would be a great lesson in government too.

Wow. What you just argued for is basically facism. The US has a system of check and balances. The branches are separate but equal and if one branch wants to check another branch it is completely acceptable wether you like it or not. Suggesting a congress elected by voters should be charged with treason is the height of political extremism. It is the kind of thing that happens in Maduro's Venezuela, Erdogan's Turkey, or dare I say it...Putin's Russia. People worry about Trump being a dictator but it is Clinton's base that is pushing for dictatorial actions.
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,825
    edited November 2016
    BS44325 said:

Kat said:

Wow. What you just argued for is basically facism. The US has a system of check and balances. The branches are separate but equal and if one branch wants to check another branch it is completely acceptable wether you like it or not. Suggesting a congress elected by voters should be charged with treason is the height of political extremism. It is the kind of thing that happens in Maduro's Venezuela, Erdogan's Turkey, or dare I say it...Putin's Russia. People worry about Trump being a dictator but it is Clinton's base that is pushing for dictatorial actions.
    That's some twist you're putting on what I said. Read it carefully. I clearly said one branch is acting in a treasonous manner (and it's also unAmerican) to try and shut down the other two branches of government. I love my country and I'm sick of obstructionism. No more.
    Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

Thank you.
    Kat said:

BS44325 said:

Kat said:

That's some twist you're putting on what I said. Read it carefully. I clearly said one branch is acting in a treasonous manner (and it's also unAmerican) to try and shut down the other two branches of government. I love my country and I'm sick of obstructionism. No more.
    That is exactly what they are supposed to do when other branches get out of control. That is the ENTIRE point.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,212
    unsung said:

Kat said:

BS44325 said:

Kat said:

That is exactly what they are supposed to do when other branches get out of control. That is the ENTIRE point.
    Yeah, out of control actions such as expecting a SCOTUS nominee to get a hearing.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,212
    unsung said:

Kat said:

BS44325 said:

Kat said:

Oh wait, you must be referring to out of control actions like the 14th Amendment and the Civil Rights Act of 64... Things that have led to the elimination of the "white race".
    Kat said:

BS44325 said:

Kat said:

You said that you want to see the justice department bring them up on charges for treason. There is no twist in that. You want to criminalize elected representatives for failing to vote in a manner you see fit. Just think about that for a bit.
    Attacking Comey was a big mistake

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/11/02/fbi_sources_tell_fox_news_indictment_likely_in_clinton_foundation_case.html

The FBI leaks are coming hard and fast now. The Clinton campaign will not be able to keep up.
    BS44325 said:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/11/02/fbi_sources_tell_fox_news_indictment_likely_in_clinton_foundation_case.html

The FBI leaks are coming hard and fast now. The Clinton campaign will not be able to keep up.

Saw this a few minutes ago. Is this legit?
    tonifig8 said:

BS44325 said:

Saw this a few minutes ago. Is this legit?
    Hard to know but that's the thing... Instead of just brushing off the Comey letter the Clinton Campaign chose to go to war. Now leaks will come out left, right and center that will be impossible to refute. Everything will sound plausible based on public evidence already available and based on Hillary's terrible honest amd trustworthy numbers. The above reporting does not seem far fetched.
  • ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    She's toast. Looks like we will be electing President Kaine.
    Anyone hear from Clinton lately? Has she given a press conference? Would love to hear some answer from her.
    edited November 2016
    Secret Recordings Fueled FBI Feud in Clinton Probe
    Agents thought they had enough material to merit aggressively pursuing investigation into Clinton Foundation

http://www.wsj.com/articles/secret-recordings-fueled-fbi-feud-in-clinton-probe-1478135518?tesla=y

http://sli.mg/taiKLL
    Post edited by Boxes&Books on
    edited November 2016
    BS44325 said:

Kat said:

BS44325 said:

Kat said:

BS44325 said:

Kat said:

You said that you want to see the justice department bring them up on charges for treason. There is no twist in that. You want to criminalize elected representatives for failing to vote in a manner you see fit. Just think about that for a bit.
    No, I think she is saying their continuous refusal to put a vote is treason. Not how they vote.

Someone mentioned the voters elected these people, well, elections matter. They voted people in to vote on bills. Not be sore losers.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on

BS44325 said:

Kat said:

BS44325 said:

Kat said:

BS44325 said:

Kat said:

No, I think she is saying their continuous refusal to put a vote is treason. Not how they vote.

Someone mentioned the voters elected these people, well, elections matter. They voted people in to vote on bills. Not be sore losers.
    No. Those people were voted in to exercise the will of those who sent them there. That will sometimes includes blocking votes when possible. It is not treason and to demand charges be brought against those who block votes within the rules is facism. This is a very dangerous game people are playing as you are advocating for actions that you wouldn't want a President Trump to take.
    BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Kat said:

BS44325 said:

Kat said:

BS44325 said:

Kat said:

No. Those people were voted in to exercise the will of those who sent them there. That will sometimes includes blocking votes when possible. It is not treason and to demand charges be brought against those who block votes within the rules is facism. This is a very dangerous game people are playing as you are advocating for actions that you wouldn't want a President Trump to take.
    I agree with Kat's sentiments but not to lock them up. WE should take other action with campaign contribution and lobbying laws. Congress is broken right now. Absolutely broken. Both sides. Something needs to change. That is the point. Our politicians suck.
This discussion has been closed.