Options

Hillary won more votes for President

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,662
    PJ_Soul said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

I really do appreciate that Hillary supports sincerely believe she is the best choice (even if only because you loath Trump) but here's an idea that will frost some, no doubt. Maybe we need Trump. Follow my logic for a minute:

Years ago I had a close friend who was literally drinking herself to death. I knew her counselor and I met with him to discuss what could be done to save her life. I felt desperate. He told me that enabling her would help her in the short term but that it just might be that the only thing left that could save her was for her to hit rock bottom. By rock bottom he meant homelessness, near starvation, and extreme ill health. I was angry at him for even suggesting that. But he explained that the route she was on with the enabling she was receiving from friends like me would definitely lead to her demise. He said rock bottom for her could very possibly kill her but could also lead her to take extreme measure to climb back out of her bottomless pit. She eventually moved back in with people who enabled her and she went on to drink herself to death.

Democracy is in bad shape. America is in terrible shape. Nominating two incompetent, undesirable candidates in of itself is proof of that. Maybe, just maybe, we need Trump and rock bottom in order to start seeing the light and stop doing ourselves in. Believe me, I don't say any of this lightly.

america is far from in terrible shape. that's just sensationalizing and bs rhetoric. you're better than that.
    Agreed.... in certain contexts. But I think the state of the government and the people's attitude about the government in America is in terrible shape. America is pretty fucked up on a social level right now. It seems to actually be devolving.
    Not sure how you can say that. Change is hard, but more people have more rights than they have ever had. Getting there is messy.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,043
    Well, I just tell it like I see it. Maybe I am full of shit but my shit is honest.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,662
    brianlux said:

Well, I just tell it like I see it. Maybe I am full of shit but my shit is honest.

You sound like GF. The country is in terrible shape without any supporting evidence
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,765
    edited October 2016

PJ_Soul said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

I really do appreciate that Hillary supports sincerely believe she is the best choice (even if only because you loath Trump) but here's an idea that will frost some, no doubt. Maybe we need Trump. Follow my logic for a minute:

Years ago I had a close friend who was literally drinking herself to death. I knew her counselor and I met with him to discuss what could be done to save her life. I felt desperate. He told me that enabling her would help her in the short term but that it just might be that the only thing left that could save her was for her to hit rock bottom. By rock bottom he meant homelessness, near starvation, and extreme ill health. I was angry at him for even suggesting that. But he explained that the route she was on with the enabling she was receiving from friends like me would definitely lead to her demise. He said rock bottom for her could very possibly kill her but could also lead her to take extreme measure to climb back out of her bottomless pit. She eventually moved back in with people who enabled her and she went on to drink herself to death.

Democracy is in bad shape. America is in terrible shape. Nominating two incompetent, undesirable candidates in of itself is proof of that. Maybe, just maybe, we need Trump and rock bottom in order to start seeing the light and stop doing ourselves in. Believe me, I don't say any of this lightly.

america is far from in terrible shape. that's just sensationalizing and bs rhetoric. you're better than that.
    Agreed.... in certain contexts. But I think the state of the government and the people's attitude about the government in America is in terrible shape. America is pretty fucked up on a social level right now. It seems to actually be devolving.
    Not sure how you can say that. Change is hard, but more people have more rights than they have ever had. Getting there is messy.
    But half the country is trying (and sometimes succeeding) at removing rights at the same time. I mean fuck, the right to choose is still under viscous debate in the US and religion in politics has practically become a norm in many states. Some places are reinstating the teaching of creationism in schools for crying out loud. And a large portion of the citizens seem to be more racist that they were 20 years ago. In some contexts, I think the US seems to be going backwards.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

pjalive21 said:

Free said:

Free said:

tonifig8 said:

Kat said:

Seriously.
    And thanks for that brain image above. That's just sad...but funny too. :)
    Have a great week, everyone.
    Why Don't we talk about how the DNC helped rig the primaries? And as soon as the DWS resigned HRC hired her on. Why don't we talk about how Clinton received debate questions in advance of the debate?

Awwwwww
    Why talk about things that are unpleasant to her supporters?
    what I keep finding amusing is that one side claims the other side is so much worse and underhanded than the other. give me a break. THEY ARE ALL POLITICIANS. if you think one side is better than the other, you are a fool. it comes down to nothing more than voting for whomever you think won't nuke the planet.

so you think liars lean right? I can't say I agree with that.

Not necessarily...I'm saying that the right has to lie/deceive in order to pull people to their team.

Why else would a working class family vote republican? The republicans are the ones that want to privatize social security, get rid of the ACA, cut taxes for the wealthy, etc. on the backs of the middle class. They convince the middle class voters by frightening them with big government, terrorism, welfare state, immigrants, etc. (I should also add..."taking away your guns", "war against christianity")
    To tell you this but the Dems are just as bad. You got to candidates and both of them are the 1% and they represent the 1%. You're not fooling anyone.
    Excuse me....when you are a 1%er that takes positions that makes the 1%ers pay MORE in taxes, etc. that is far more honest than the 1%er that wants to cut his own taxes.

Wake up
    the 1% will never pay more in taxes...and someway, somehow if that every happened if you think they wont line their pockets back up by making us pay for the difference then i don't know what to tell you
    What in gods name are you talking about? The 1% pay more now than they did when Obama took office. They will pay more in 2016 and 2017 as well.

Do you need me to give you links to the fucking tax brackets that are available for anyone with google to see?

Clinton has discussed raising taxes and also lifting the social security wage cap....inform yourself please

pjalive21 said:

Free said:

Free said:

tonifig8 said:

Kat said:

Seriously.
    Why Don't we talk about how the DNC helped rig the primaries? And as soon as the DWS resigned HRC hired her on. Why don't we talk about how Clinton received debate questions in advance of the debate?

Awwwwww
    what I keep finding amusing is that one side claims the other side is so much worse and underhanded than the other. give me a break. THEY ARE ALL POLITICIANS. if you think one side is better than the other, you are a fool. it comes down to nothing more than voting for whomever you think won't nuke the planet.

Not necessarily...I'm saying that the right has to lie/deceive in order to pull people to their team.

Why else would a working class family vote republican? The republicans are the ones that want to privatize social security, get rid of the ACA, cut taxes for the wealthy, etc. on the backs of the middle class. They convince the middle class voters by frightening them with big government, terrorism, welfare state, immigrants, etc. (I should also add..."taking away your guns", "war against christianity")
    To tell you this but the Dems are just as bad. You got to candidates and both of them are the 1% and they represent the 1%. You're not fooling anyone.
    hahaha ... tax brackets and tax rates don't mean shit to the 1 percenters, absolutely nothing, they have teams of accountants and lawyers that get them paying the absolute least tax possible. Income taxes are regressive taxes, national sales are far more effective and makes it much harder to avoid paying taxes ... and in my opinion probably the fairest tax as well.

Excuse me....when you are a 1%er that takes positions that makes the 1%ers pay MORE in taxes, etc. that is far more honest than the 1%er that wants to cut his own taxes.

Wake up
    the 1% will never pay more in taxes...and someway, somehow if that every happened if you think they wont line their pockets back up by making us pay for the difference then i don't know what to tell you
    What in gods name are you talking about? The 1% pay more now than they did when Obama took office. They will pay more in 2016 and 2017 as well.

Do you need me to give you links to the fucking tax brackets that are available for anyone with google to see?

Clinton has discussed raising taxes and also lifting the social security wage cap....inform yourself please
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,875
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

But half the country is trying (and sometimes succeeding) at removing rights at the same time. That seems really backwards to me. I mean fuck, the right to choose is still under viscous debate in the US and religion in politics has practically become a norm in many states. Some places are reinstating the teaching of creationism in schools for crying out loud. In some contexts, I think the US seems to be going backwards.
    They are not taking away rights, they fighting to preserve the status quo. Sometimes it gets reactionary but we are moving forward. Sometimes it's 2 forward and 1 back though.

But if Trump wins, the new court could reverse it all.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

But half the country is trying (and sometimes succeeding) at removing rights at the same time. That seems really backwards to me. I mean fuck, the right to choose is still under viscous debate in the US and religion in politics has practically become a norm in many states. Some places are reinstating the teaching of creationism in schools for crying out loud. In some contexts, I think the US seems to be going backwards.
    They are not taking away rights, they fighting to preserve the status quo. Sometimes it gets reactionary but we are moving forward. Sometimes it's 2 forward and 1 back though.

What about abortion rights? Many women are losing rights in that context. The status quo is not being maintained. There is a concerted effort to reduce those rights all over the country. It's moving backwards, not forwards. Did you know that the number of abortion clinics in Texas went from 41 to 18 in only 3 years because of new laws? Same with certain counties with creationism. Same with all the rights being violated in the name of anti-terrorism.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

pjhawks said:

brianlux said:

What about abortion rights? Many women are losing rights in that context. The status quo is not being maintained. There is a concerted effort to reduce those rights all over the country. It's moving backwards, not forwards. Same with certain counties with creationism. Same with all the rights being violated in the name of anti-terrorism.
    Well good points. I was thinking about gay rights. But it is reactionary and the future hinges on this election.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,747
    I think since Nixon, people have had a negative attitude about the government that has stayed at about the same level over time. You do get peaks and valleys about trust of the government depending on what's happening at the time. Drama and political shenanigans has been going on since the start, and media has always been fixated on it.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

I think since Nixon, people have had a negative attitude about the government that has stayed at about the same level over time. You do get peaks and valleys about trust of the government depending on what's happening at the time. Drama and political shenanigans has been going on since the start, and media has always been fixated on it.

True, but do you get the sense that something different is happening right now? Many have actually suggested that, with all things considered, we could be witnessing the beginning of the fall of the American "empire". Hey, every empire collapses eventually...... I know it's hard for people to think such huge things can happen in their lifetimes, but they have to happen in someone's lifetime, so why not ours? The beginning at least? (remember, it can take a long long time for such things to happens - sometimes centuries. Could this be the beginning of the end? I think it's possible, and no, I'm not saying that just because of a couple of bad political candidates... a lot just seems to be shifting or passing a zenith, in so many ways).
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

True, but do you get the sense that something different is happening right now? Many have actually suggested that, with all things considered, we could be witnessing the beginning of the fall of the American "empire". Hey, every empire collapses eventually...... I know it's hard for people to think such huge things can happen in their lifetimes, but they have to happen in someone's lifetime, so why not ours? The beginning at least? (remember, it can take a long long time for such things to happens - sometimes centuries. Could this be the beginning of the end? I think it's possible, and no, I'm not saying that just because of a couple of bad political candidates... a lot just seems to be shifting or passing a zenith, in so many ways).
    To me the only difference is we have two candidates with such high negative ratings, so everything just feels negative and blah this go around. There's always been dire predictions about the future of the US for over 200 years, so I see something like that as a constant. Things in the present always feel more intense, partly due just to the fact that's it's the present, and partly due to the fact that people tend to recall the past in a more positive light, and will remember positive events from the past more easily than negative ones.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

PJ_Soul said:

To me the only difference is we have two candidates with such high negative ratings, so everything just feels negative and blah this go around. There's always been dire predictions about the future of the US for over 200 years, so I see something like that as a constant. Things in the present always feel more intense, partly due just to the fact that's it's the present, and partly due to the fact that people tend to recall the past in a more positive light, and will remember positive events from the past more easily than negative ones.
    But at some point it's going to be true - that is inevitable - and I said, I'm not saying this just because there are a couple of disliked people running for POTUS and people are suffering from election stress disorder, lol. There are so many factors to consider, economically, socially, politically, environmentally, etc.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,675
    If living in a virtual reality world is progress than the world is getting better. If not, than the world is getting worse.
  • Options

brianlux said:

You sound like GF. The country is in terrible shape without any supporting evidence
    Well, at least you appreciate tha I have a sense of humor, haha!

I think this years election ALONE is proof that we have some serious, dysfunctional problems here in this country. That's hard to refute.

But OK, enough with the negativity. There are some great things about the U.S., no doubt. If I totally hated it here I would leave. I don't know of any place I'd rather live (although I'm sure there are some great choices out there). One really big thing we have here is potential. I always push myself to maximize my own potential (some time successfully, sometimes falling on my face). Same with this country. If we can come up with ideas like connecting wildlife corridors, give people like George Carlin freedom to say what he did on stage, create great music like Pearl Jam, Dinosaur Jr., and The Replacements, and invent jazz, you know we have tremendous potential. Let's stop wasting it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options

If living in a virtual reality world is progress than the world is getting better. If not, than the world is getting worse.

As far as impact on the Earth goes, probably a virtual experience uses less energy and resources. I think that's where we go in the future as we will move away from a consumption based economy.
  • Options
    Well I'm sure living in Southern California couldn't be helping your perspective Brian. I mean, isn't the region slowly working its way towards being uninhabitable because of drought??
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    edited October 2016
    Post deleted by Admin
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Well, at least you appreciate tha I have a sense of humor, haha!

I think this years election ALONE is proof that we have some serious, dysfunctional problems here in this country. That's hard to refute.

But OK, enough with the negativity. There are some great things about the U.S., no doubt. If I totally hated it here I would leave. I don't know of any place I'd rather live (although I'm sure there are some great choices out there). One really big thing we have here is potential. I always push myself to maximize my own potential (some time successfully, sometimes falling on my face). Same with this country. If we can come up with ideas like connecting wildlife corridors, give people like George Carlin freedom to say what he did on stage, create great music like Pearl Jam, Dinosaur Jr., and The Replacements, and invent jazz, you know we have tremendous potential. Let's stop wasting it.
    smart man here....
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

But at some point it's going to be true - that is inevitable - and I said, I'm not saying this just because there are a couple of disliked people running for POTUS and people are suffering from election stress disorder, lol. There are so many factors to consider, economically, socially, politically, environmentally, etc.
    But btw Go Beavers, I agree with you about people tending to think of the past in a positive light. In many ways, that is just fantasy. And the further back you go, the bigger the fantasy is. Despite all the problems, as a woman, I am so thankful to have been born when I was instead of further back in the past. I don't know if it's so true for men, but for women, the later you were born in time the better. The only thing I am sorry about when I think about when I was born is that I never got to see Zeppelin. :frowning:
  • Options
    Zeppelin is my answer to the question of what band would you go back in time to see!
  • Options

Zeppelin is my answer to the question of what band would you go back in time to see!

:rock_on:
  • Options

Jimi....
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Well I'm sure living in Southern California couldn't be helping your perspective Brian. I mean, isn't the region slowly working its way towards being uninhabitable because of drought??

I like parts of Southern California and don't mind that it is arid. Some of it is beautiful because of that, especially Anza Borrego:

But I live in the Sierra Foothills halfway between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. We're considered to be part of Northern California. It's not my favorite place (too hot and dusty in the summer and politically very Republican) but it has it's good points.

I've lived in several places in CA, as well as the north west and back east for a few years so my perspective isn't related to current location.

• Options
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

I like parts of Southern California and don't mind that it is arid. Some of it is beautiful because of that, especially Anza Borrego:

But I live in the Sierra Foothills halfway between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe. We're considered to be part of Northern California. It's not my favorite place (too hot and dusty in the summer and politically very Republican) but it has it's good points.

I've lived in several places in CA, as well as the north west and back east for a few years so my perspective isn't related to current location.

God Bless Brian, America, and Pete Rose.....
  • Options

brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:

God Bless Brian, America, and Pete Rose.....
    LOL I'm laughing because I know there are some who think all three are despicable. But hey, I'm good with being lumped in with America and Pete Rose! :smiley:

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124

Free said:

It's obvious you make yourself feel better by looking at the other bad guy and swearing that he's worse. When really It's all sweet delusion.

I think Trump is worse than Clinton, and that's not a delusion.
    They are both terrible. Trump's terrible can at least be checked. Hillary will continue to get away with her terrible. I am for the terrible that is easier to police.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124

This is just crazy. Read this in full and then you might understand why the working class might vote republican.

https://life.spectator.co.uk/2016/10/a-handy-guide-to-left-wing-people-for-the-under-10s/

It's from the UK but it applies here.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

Free said:

It's obvious you make yourself feel better by looking at the other bad guy and swearing that he's worse. When really It's all sweet delusion.

I think Trump is worse than Clinton, and that's not a delusion.
    They are both terrible. Trump's terrible can at least be checked. Hillary will continue to get away with her terrible. I am for the terrible that is easier to police.
    Why do you think Trump can be checked and Hillary can't? At least Hillary isn't erratic and batshit crazy.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited November 2016

Free said:

Free said:

Free said:

tonifig8 said:

Kat said:

Seriously.

Awwwwww

Wake up
    Apparently I am more wide-awake than you are. You apologize for Hillary. You have never had one critical word for her. She is a 1%er Who changed rule so she could take big money for her campaign. She screwed another candidate out of winning. She cheated by paying superdelegates.

So wake up yourself.
    you can't prove she cheated. maybe she did, maybe she didn't. but there's no proof she did anything that is against the rules as they stand today, as much as those rules suck, she didn't go outside of them.
    Oh, good god, go read the Posesta thread. Plenty of proof there. I'm so sick of hearing people insisting over and over again (not particularly you Hugh) that her campaign hasn't cheated yet there is endless evidence. This just happened in the last week for starters...

And she's being questioned again by whom? Oh yeah, the FBI.

http://theantimedia.org/leaked-dnc-rigged-bernie-primary/
    Post edited by Free on
This discussion has been closed.