Options

What the hell happen in Virginia??

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    edited August 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

What's the obsession with owning a weapon? To me anyone who thinks that they must own a weapon already has a mental illness.

I m 37 and started hunting with my dad and grandfather when I was ten. I ll continue the tradition with my own kids. I guess we all have mental illnesses you dumb ass.
    So you have no reason to be opposed to regulations which make it harder for lunatics to get guns?

We sure as hell aren't getting rids of guns so baby steps with regulations.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,601
    mcgruff10 said:

What's the obsession with owning a weapon? To me anyone who thinks that they must own a weapon already has a mental illness.

I m 37 and started hunting with my dad and grandfather when I was ten. I ll continue the tradition with my own kids. I guess we all have mental illnesses you dumb ass.
    Now there my problem is the totally unnecessary killing of wild animals.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940

to me anyone who believes thier opinion trumps others his a mantal illness...but I'm no doctor.

Godfather.

To me, those of us in democratic countries clearly do believe our opinions trump those of others, otherwise we would not vote for like-minded politicians who we hope could realize our collective opinions through actions. Otherwise, why not just vote for which ever candidate has the funniest hair, or the coolest car?

But hey - if we're lucky, maybe you people who think that forks and knives are as lethal as guns will stay home, while those of us who give a shit about the epidemic of shootings in your country can help change that through our votes. Or maybe I'm just mantally ill.

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

I mean there's something wrong with you when you come out of the gate calling people (me) a dumbass, but I've seen you post on the forums here and I'm not a bit surprised. Do you let the animals know ahead of time that you are hunting them for sport? Are you hard up for meat? Sounds like you're real thought out all together.

Post edited by Dr.Teeth and the Electric Mayh on
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I dont like the idea of hunting. It makes me uncomfortable. I've never been, obviously, nor would I go if I were ever invited. But I had it explained to me once, what they do is after they kill the deer they take it to the butcher and get it turned into food which they go home with. This type of hunting, while I am uncomfortable with it, is not something I would advocate for abolishing. I mean I dont like it, but like mcgruff said there's a big tradition thing there and it is, in fact, a survival skill. I'm still gonna judge you for doing it, cuz I'm a whiney city liberal (not sarcastic) but at least I admit it.
    So I don't think that hunting rifles ought to be completely outlawed. I think they need to be harder to get, like you gotta have a current up to date permit before you can get a rifle or some bullets and still get the background check.
    But those semi automatics or whatever, the kind that takes lots of bullets and fires them all quick in succession or the kind with really big bullets, they are not necessary. They need to go. I dont like the idea of a handgun in the house for protection either. revolver or the ones on tv. I mean I get it. But. I like baseball bats better, tbh. I've got a crowbar type thing too.

Note these are all my opinions and not perfectly informed. I own them regardless of how not perfect they are.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    I can respect hunting.

I have a tough time respecting owning guns as 'toys' (under the guise of 'protection').
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I have no idea how a person can go out for fun, look at a wild animal, and shoot it dead and be really pleased with themselves for murdering it, even though they don't NEED to do it for food, etc. I think it's sick.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Buying cheap chickens harvested from factory farms is worse than killing your own animal, in the wild, to fill your deep freezer.
  • Options

Buying cheap chickens harvested from factory farms is worse than killing your own animal, in the wild, to fill your deep freezer.

So what are we doing here? Saying that two wrongs somehow make a right?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm not going to agree with you that hunting is wrong. I don't do it, but I understand it. Human beings eat meat. Fishing with a single line and hunting are the most natural ways for humans to get their meat. Not only that, the meat from the wild is much healthier than the meats we buy at the local store.

You got hung up on someone watching an animal in the wild die? I'd bet you wouldn't think much of animals in the slaughter houses. If you're a vegetarian and own no leather... I think you'd be in a position to cast stones at hunters. But if you're not, its hypocritical in my mind.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    It's an explosive mixture of many things. A culture that is based on the principles of capitalism, a harsh world where everybody needs to fight on their own. Greed, entitlement, extreme wealth, extreme poverty, overflow and dire need go hand in hand. People get their "education" from the internet or bullshit media. Bullying and aggression are ruling in the social platforms, people think they live in a movie. That coupled with a culture that has always been oddly fascinated with guns and a more than shameful social support system might make a person who has issues and feel like they deserve better and don't get heard go and destroy the lives of others.
    I'm not American, but I'm fucking sick of the gun defending arguments. Something needs to be done.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

I'm not going to agree with you that hunting is wrong. I don't do it, but I understand it. Human beings eat meat. Fishing with a single line and hunting are the most natural ways for humans to get their meat. Not only that, the meat from the wild is much healthier than the meats we buy at the local store.

You got hung up on someone watching an animal in the wild die? I'd bet you wouldn't think much of animals in the slaughter houses. If you're a vegetarian and own no leather... I think you'd be in a position to cast stones at hunters. But if you're not, its hypocritical in my mind.
    I am not against animals dying so that we can eat meat though. My problem is with people who go out into the homes of the wild animals and shoot them for fun. They have no need to kill those free and wild animals for food. They are doing it for a good time first and foremost, and that is exactly what I take issue with.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

It's an explosive mixture of many things. A culture that is based on the principles of capitalism, a harsh world where everybody needs to fight on their own. Greed, entitlement, extreme wealth, extreme poverty, overflow and dire need go hand in hand. People get their "education" from the internet or bullshit media. Bullying and aggression are ruling in the social platforms, people think they live in a movie. That coupled with a culture that has always been oddly fascinated with guns and a more than shameful social support system might make a person who has issues and feel like they deserve better and don't get heard go and destroy the lives of others.
    I'm not American, but I'm fucking sick of the gun defending arguments. Something needs to be done.

i agree with this..well said
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I have no idea how a person can go out for fun, look at a wild animal, and shoot it dead and be really pleased with themselves for murdering it, even though they don't NEED to do it for food, etc. I think it's sick.

PJ Soul I wrote this whole response to you but the cat jumped on the keyboard and deleted it. The short version is I don't disagree with you. If I didn't actually end up knowing someone who did that for a little while I wouldn't have had those debates about it. What I learned is that hunting is a cultural difference. Kinda like those people whose religion says they can't let the exterminator in. It's something I disagree with on principle 100% but it's a cultural difference so you have to let it be.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ Soul I wrote this whole response to you but the cat jumped on the keyboard and deleted it. The short version is I don't disagree with you. If I didn't actually end up knowing someone who did that for a little while I wouldn't have had those debates about it. What I learned is that hunting is a cultural difference. Kinda like those people whose religion says they can't let the exterminator in. It's something I disagree with on principle 100% but it's a cultural difference so you have to let it be.
    Yes, it's definitely a cultural difference. Same with all those people who love guns generally. And I have been talking about how awful the gun culture in America is for ages. ;) Just because something is a cultural difference, it doesn't mean we have to accept it, right? Not sure why you suggest I have to let it be..... (but FWIW, I'm not about to despise someone who hunts for sport. I just despise that they do that.... and also hate that they are capable of killing for fun, and I do think they are kind of sick for enjoying it).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

mcgruff10 said:

I mean there's something wrong with you when you come out of the gate calling people (me) a dumbass, but I've seen you post on the forums here and I'm not a bit surprised. Do you let the animals know ahead of time that you are hunting them for sport? Are you hard up for meat? Sounds like you're real thought out all together.

I could be mistaken, but I believe mcgruff doesn't hunt for the hell or the sport of it.

No matter the weapon used or (legal) intent behind it, of course common-sense standards should be put in place and adhered to.
  • Options
    i didnt mean you as in you personally i meant you as in anyone. like rephrase it as "so one has to let it be"

and yea i was taught to accept cultural differences. that's just a product of my environment. Don't get me wrong that's not an absolute - obviously with shit like the general gun culture and biogtry and shit you one's gotta be like 'um yea no fuck you sit down" but theres you know. gray areas. or. whatever.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

mcgruff10 said:

I could be mistaken, but I believe mcgruff doesn't hunt for the hell or the sport of it.

No matter the weapon used or (legal) intent behind it, of course common-sense standards should be put in place and adhered to.
    Of course he hunts for sport. He said himself it's a time honoured tradition. That is same as saying it's good family fun. The meat is a bonus.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

mcgruff10 said:

Of course he hunts for sport. He said himself it's a time honoured tradition. That is same as saying it's good family fun. The meat is a bonus.
    Well, I don't recall having seen that (not gonna go searching!) but as I've said before in other threads, in no way do I condone that.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I am not against animals dying so that we can eat meat though. My problem is with people who go out into the homes of the wild animals and shoot them for fun. They have no need to kill those free and wild animals for food. They are doing it for a good time first and foremost, and that is exactly what I take issue with.
    From a logical perspective, this is completely backwards.
    Wild animals live dignified lives, and die dignified deaths.
    Factory farmed animals live disgraceful lives that amount to torture, and die disgraceful factory deaths. If someone was going to kill you, wouldn't you prefer they at least look you in the eye?

You are hung up on hunters enjoying killing, but there is no moral high ground in letting someone else do your killing for you and reaping the benefits.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,908

mcgruff10 said:

So you have no reason to be opposed to regulations which make it harder for lunatics to get guns?

We sure as hell aren't getting rids of guns so baby steps with regulations.
    please read my many posts on this topic. i've said many times that background checks are key; the more the better. hell i live in new jersey (second toughest gun laws in the country) and I have no problem in what I have to do in order to get a gun. i was just chiming in because of that moron who said anybody who wants a gun has a mental illness. i think that's the first time i've ever called someone a dumb ass on this board (and now a moron).
    pjsoul is right, the meat is the bonus. spending time with my dad and father in law in that setting is priceless.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Factory farmed animals live disgraceful lives that amount to torture, and die disgraceful factory deaths. If someone was going to kill you, wouldn't you prefer they at least look you in the eye?

You are hung up on hunters enjoying killing, but there is no moral high ground in letting someone else do your killing for you and reaping the benefits.
    Yes, I am hung up on people killing for fun. I do not feel bad about that for one single second. I think there is something twisted about it. I also do have an issue with human encroachment in general. Walking into their home and murdering them for fun is the extreme example of that. There is no conflict in my opinion. Food manufacturing has nothing to do with what I'm saying. I know you don't agree with it, but it's not a hypocritical viewpoint. And sorry, but I think that a hunter talking about how amazing the animals' lives are in the wild as a way to defend coming along and stalking and murdering them is completely ridiculous.
    Of course I also advocate for humane practices in the meat industry, but that is a completely different issue.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    Ok lets not go off track i like this debate , i have no problem with the folks that go hunting come deer season or what have you most of them have been doing it from generation to generation ....

The problem we have is that most people can just go and get most any weapon of their choice as long as you have the $$$$$$$ even if your a lunatic ....and some many different avenues to get them from its a big problem that generates to much money ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yes, I am hung up on people killing for fun. I do not feel bad about that for one single second. I think there is something twisted about it. I also do have an issue with human encroachment in general. Walking into their home and murdering them for fun is the extreme of that. There is no conflict in my opinion. Food manufacturing has nothing to do with what I'm saying. I know you don't agree with it, but it's not a hypocritical viewpoint.
    It is hypocritical.
    You take enjoyment from eating meat, others take enjoyment from procuring meat. It's a pretty slight distinction to be hung up on.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yes, I am hung up on people killing for fun. I do not feel bad about that for one single second. I think there is something twisted about it. I also do have an issue with human encroachment in general. Walking into their home and murdering them for fun is the extreme example of that. There is no conflict in my opinion. Food manufacturing has nothing to do with what I'm saying. I know you don't agree with it, but it's not a hypocritical viewpoint.
    Of course I also advocate for humane practices in the meat industry, but that is a completely different issue.
    No, I think it is to some degree. You are deciding which parameters make killing something acceptable or not.

Following your logic... the native Indians were wrong to hunt and fish unless they wore a very morose expression on their face and never enjoyed themselves?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yes, I am hung up on people killing for fun. I do not feel bad about that for one single second. I think there is something twisted about it. I also do have an issue with human encroachment in general. Walking into their home and murdering them for fun is the extreme of that. There is no conflict in my opinion. Food manufacturing has nothing to do with what I'm saying. I know you don't agree with it, but it's not a hypocritical viewpoint.
    It is hypocritical.
    You take enjoyment from eating meat, others take enjoyment from procuring meat. It's a pretty slight distinction to be hung up on.
    I disagree, but I'll say something that I have said a hundred times before, in a general sense (though I am not a hypocrite in this particular case IMO, because going and murdering something for fun is not the same as eating food. But I totally understand that you don't see it that way): anyone who says they're not a hypocrite is also a liar.

(I should also say that I never advocate for taking guns away from hunters. That they can kill for sport makes me sick, but I don't think it should actually be illegal unless you're talking about animals where the population is endangered or at risk.... I also think that killing the mother of babies should be harshly punished, even if it's an accident, i.e. the hunter claims to have not known about the offspring).
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I don't know why hunting filled up most of this page. The only real hunting (in my mind) is bow and arrow hunting. It involves actual skill. My 6 year old son can take a gun and kill a deer eating from a pile of corn I poured out 25 yards from my tree stand. But i understand people hunt. Whatever.

I can respect hunting.

I have a tough time respecting owning guns as 'toys' (under the guise of 'protection').

This sums up my argument against the gun nuts that feel they need an arsenal of weapons. Like their home is going to be attacked by a platoon of gang bangers or members of Isis.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,908
    my suggestions from another thread on how to curtail gun violence and keeping them out of the wrong hands:
    every weapon bought has to be registered with the state and federal government. Before owning a gun you must take a firearm safety course. Before owning a gun you must pass a background check. Before owning a gun you must pass a mental health background check. Before owning your first gun your employer should be contacted to make sure there are no problems. Penalties for straw purchases and selling guns illegally should be enforced and more severe. Educate children (what age I don't know) on what a firearm is, what it can do, what to do if you find one in you house. Educate on safely storing firearms: pass a law that provides a gun lock with every firearm purchase. Here in nj we have a maximum of 15 rounds for a detachable clip but I don't see why a federal policy of max of 30 rounds isn't reasonable. Don't ban any guns, just make sure people are fit to use them responsibly.
    to me people don't want background checks because they have something to hide. just my .02.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Eat meat so can't say anything about hunting. But also see the sparkle in the eyes of some of my hunter friends when they talk about killing it. Think it's instinctual.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited August 2015

I don't know why hunting filled up most of this page. The only real hunting (in my mind) is bow and arrow hunting. It involves actual skill. My 6 year old son can take a gun and kill a deer eating from a pile of corn I poured out 25 yards from my tree stand. But i understand people hunt. Whatever.

I can respect hunting.

This sums up my argument against the gun nuts that feel they need an arsenal of weapons. Like their home is going to be attacked by a platoon of gang bangers or members of Isis.
    Agreed (also a good point about hunting tactics, but still the "sport" part bothers me). What I also don't understand is how gun advocates are always babbling about both protection as well as responsible gun ownership, but from what I've gathered, the only way people can truly be "responsible gun owners" is by locking up their guns, and locking up their ammo in a different place. If they are doing that, then they can't use the guns for protection anyway, unless they are given a lot of warning.... which really would mean that marauding gangs have taken over and society is basically collapsing around them.