Comments

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    I heard he died, cool.

Godfather.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,558
    rgambs said:

Rush Limbaugh just spent 20 minutes blaming this on affirmative action practices!
    Seriously.
    "This is what happens..."
    "They are victims of liberalism."
    Wow. Fox News will probably be saying it by tomorrow afternoon.
    :anguished:

I saw something about this on foxnews this morning

They blamed Obama
  • Options

I heard he died, cool.

Godfather.

Smh. Shame. I thought we were on the same page with violence.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Zero guns have decided to fire themselves and kill anyone.

Right now the people in the ghettos who have guns, didn't obtain them legally. If we remove all rights to buy guns, then we have zero chance to defend ourselves against the criminals who obtain them illegally.

Anything else is spin and thinking too much into.

If we all had a pistol on our hip the world would be so much better. I wouldn't get raped if someone knew I had a pistol on my hip. People wouldn't steal if they thought the consequence would be death.

Just my .02. Doubt many will agree here but I refuse to compromise my beliefs.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986

I heard he died, cool.

Godfather.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Zero guns have decided to fire themselves and kill anyone.

Right now the people in the ghettos who have guns, didn't obtain them legally. If we remove all rights to buy guns, then we have zero chance to defend ourselves against the criminals who obtain them illegally.

If we all had a pistol on our hip the world would be so much better. I wouldn't get raped if someone knew I had a pistol on my hip. People wouldn't steal if they thought the consequence would be death.

right...guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

racism ? a white camraman and a white reporter killed by a black man with a racism complaint that was tossed out and soon after he was let go because he was a problem to work with for several co-workers, just thinking maybe it's more than a gun issue.

Godfather.

Wow. Gf, congratulations, you think outside of the box. Now come on back to the real world.
    do you think that it's not a possibilty or even the facts so far do not hint at a racist act ?
    but I understand, while we are all saying how sad this news is it just does not feel good to bring up racism or even gun control.

Godfather.

No, I haven't had k e thought of this being anything about racism. It appears to be about a disgruntled employee. It also appears that this sick fuck used racism to file several different complaints against past employers. I don't think he picked these 2 former coworkers because they were white.

To me the better question is how an emotionally unstable person such as this was able to get a gun. Not was he racist.
    Just think about how many demented folks are out there that have weapons and are an episode away from doing shit like this ....
    good point but if these people want to kill they will use another method.

Godfather.

What method?

And why do people not die as often in "another method" in other countries?
    home made bombs, knives, poison even thier bare hands, there are many ways to kill and getting rid of guns in the US would only create a black market for weapons and home made weapons then you would have more criminals with guns than good people, the number of unregistered guns in the US must be in the millions and that on top of the registered gun owners, you seem to think of yourself as an intelligent person..how easy is it make a gun in your work shop ? with a piece of pipe ?, before shell style rounds it was black powder and a lead ball shot out of a piece of pipe, we have bow and arrow, crossbows, spears and things as simple as a sharp stick, this is America and this country and it's people will never give up our guns no matter how much none gun owners snivle and cry, but I think you know that.

Godfather.

So why are there not regular mass killing throughout other civilized countries at the hands of poison, knives or bare hands? If Adam Lanza went into Sandy Hook with a knife do you reckon there would be 26 dead people including 20 children

I am pretty pretty pretty sure people would not be making bombs at the rate of multiple mass shootings a month.

It is literally uneducated dispshits in this country with that idiotic mentality that you outline above that is literally the cause of 20 children being murdered. I partially fault people like you for 20 children being murdered and people losing family members today
    so now you partialy blame me ? ...
    you're just a bit on the mellow drama side arnt you....

Godfather.

"mellow drama"

I wish I was near a building that I could jump off of.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I heard he died, cool.

Godfather.

Do you watch the video the shooter made?
    They all could have had guns, they would still be dead.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

I heard he died, cool.

Godfather.

You mean like at the O.K. Corral?

Don't you think if everyone was armed like you think they should be there might be a few angry moments that lead to regrettable shootings? Like, for example, the guy who shot the guy in the movie theater because he was texting?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

racism ? a white camraman and a white reporter killed by a black man with a racism complaint that was tossed out and soon after he was let go because he was a problem to work with for several co-workers, just thinking maybe it's more than a gun issue.

Godfather.

Wow. Gf, congratulations, you think outside of the box. Now come on back to the real world.
    do you think that it's not a possibilty or even the facts so far do not hint at a racist act ?
    but I understand, while we are all saying how sad this news is it just does not feel good to bring up racism or even gun control.

Godfather.

No, I haven't had k e thought of this being anything about racism. It appears to be about a disgruntled employee. It also appears that this sick fuck used racism to file several different complaints against past employers. I don't think he picked these 2 former coworkers because they were white.

To me the better question is how an emotionally unstable person such as this was able to get a gun. Not was he racist.
    Just think about how many demented folks are out there that have weapons and are an episode away from doing shit like this ....

Godfather.

What method?

home made bombs, knives, poison even thier bare hands, there are many ways to kill and getting rid of guns in the US would only create a black market for weapons and home made weapons then you would have more criminals with guns than good people, the number of unregistered guns in the US must be in the millions and that on top of the registered gun owners, you seem to think of yourself as an intelligent person..how easy is it make a gun in your work shop ? with a piece of pipe ?, before shell style rounds it was black powder and a lead ball shot out of a piece of pipe, we have bow and arrow, crossbows, spears and things as simple as a sharp stick, this is America and this country and it's people will never give up our guns no matter how much none gun owners snivle and cry, but I think you know that.

Godfather.

So why are there not regular mass killing throughout other civilized countries at the hands of poison, knives or bare hands? If Adam Lanza went into Sandy Hook with a knife do you reckon there would be 26 dead people including 20 children

I am pretty pretty pretty sure people would not be making bombs at the rate of multiple mass shootings a month.

It is literally uneducated dispshits in this country with that idiotic mentality that you outline above that is literally the cause of 20 children being murdered. I partially fault people like you for 20 children being murdered and people losing family members today

Godfather.

"mellow drama"

Isn't that a Beatles song?
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,983

PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

callen said:

GF, If all guns in US disappeared tomorrow do you think murders would go down?

yes and no butts about it, that's true with anything that causes death tho, eleminate cars and truck and watch traffic deaths decline to zero, eleminate booze and watch booze related deaths drop to zero and so on.

Godfather.

When innocents die in numbers that label gun assaults an EPIDEMIC, and you have a cure, why are you so damn hasty to label it unconstitutional to consider stricter gun reforms, as opposed to saying your pathetic constitutional rights - long since antiquated - ought to be revised in the interests of your country which you claim to love?
    you live in canada ? has anybody ever estamated the amount of illegal guns in your country ? honestly I'm just curious because I'll bet there are a grip of them and murders with or without guns how many a year...1-2-200 ? more ? I know for a fact you have a few outlaw clubs in canada and you can't tell me they are unarmed.

Godfather.

Doesn't our population equal all of theirs together?
    The more important thing to consider is demographics. The US is pretty far from "United" in terms of finances, race, privilege, morality, political affiliations, cultural elements etc....

In a large population where several groups within that population are all fighting amongst themselves, a common good or goal is difficult to establish. Add to that a media culture that is serving a blood-thirsty bunch of people their daily dose of hate, vitriol and vengeance in 24-hour feeds and yes, there will be problems with violence.

It appears to me that Americans are more interested in saying "Fuck You" to each other than actually living in a peaceful society.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

I heard he died, cool.

Godfather.

Having a gun on you increases your chances of dying by gun. You are no safer. All an illusion.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I heard he died, cool.

Godfather.

Do you watch the video the shooter made?
    They all could have had guns, they would still be dead.
    I don't understand why that doesn't sink in for so many people. It's like the idiots guarding the recruitment centers. If I want to shoot up a recruitment center and you are guarding it you just became my first target. Small minds....

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,595
    edited August 2015

PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

callen said:

GF, If all guns in US disappeared tomorrow do you think murders would go down?

yes and no butts about it, that's true with anything that causes death tho, eleminate cars and truck and watch traffic deaths decline to zero, eleminate booze and watch booze related deaths drop to zero and so on.

Godfather.

When innocents die in numbers that label gun assaults an EPIDEMIC, and you have a cure, why are you so damn hasty to label it unconstitutional to consider stricter gun reforms, as opposed to saying your pathetic constitutional rights - long since antiquated - ought to be revised in the interests of your country which you claim to love?
    you live in canada ? has anybody ever estamated the amount of illegal guns in your country ? honestly I'm just curious because I'll bet there are a grip of them and murders with or without guns how many a year...1-2-200 ? more ? I know for a fact you have a few outlaw clubs in canada and you can't tell me they are unarmed.

Godfather.

Doesn't our population equal all of theirs together?
    I suspect not, but even if that were the case, so what? The graph is not total deaths, it's deaths per 100,000, so differences in population number are already accounted for.
    Exactly. (Tempo, ya gotta read the units when you look at a graph! ;) )
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

What method?

Godfather.

Godfather.

"mellow drama"

HAHHAHAHHA thanks man !

Godfather.

• Options
    What's the obsession with owning a weapon? To me anyone who thinks that they must own a weapon already has a mental illness.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

In all seriousness, there ought to be a full media blackout on the shooter aside from like a name and a mugshot shown ONCE in a broadcast. Meaning ONCE for the 24 hour news networks. Especially in cases like this when the shooter is killed before being captured - who the fuck cares WHY. Leave that for the detectives and families. For the national news story and general public the focus of the conversation should be on HOW such a thing could have been allowed to happen, meaning gun laws.

And for disclosure, no, I don't own a gun, never shot a gun, don't like guns, don't oppose controlled hunting when the animals that get hunted are turned into dinner, don't have a solution to the gun problem in America, and yea I've grown so goddamned desensitized to this bullshit this thread is all the coverage I've seen on this story. Besides a brief segment on NY1 this afternoon when they said the NYPD put some extra cops around their building just in case. Which was really nice of the NYPD. All I heard was "shooting in Virginia" and my brain just tuned it out. Fucking. Sad.

I would NEVER support any kind of "full media blackout" on anything, and I actually find this line of thinking, which has been quite popular ever since the movie theatre massacre (I think Anderson Cooper got it started), quite disturbing. It should not be the media's job to decide what the public should and shouldn't focus on in a story. They should give equal coversage to all aspects of a story, and it is the public's job to decide what to focus on. The media shouldn't be just focusing in on HOW. They need to cover the whole WHAT WHERE WHEN HOW and WHY.
    PJ Soul, I feel you, and I do agree with you in principle. I'm a big fan of freedom of speech and independent reporting. The problem is that in practice, today, in our current reality, that part of your quote which I bolded is already in practice. Because they focus the coverage on the the aspects that sell, because that is unfortunately their job. Get them pageviews you know? So if you look at the coverage of the Charleston shooting it was mostly focused on the shooter and his nonsense, with a small fraction of coverage on the victims and their families. I can't tell you where the line of thinking comes from, but the reason I understand it is because particularly in this dude's case where he was trying to get his shit on social media from the beginning with that go pro, they are seeking media attention. They want to be famous. I say 'they' but I mean this guy. I'm not really big on giving murderers what they want. You know.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    ldent42 said:

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

In all seriousness, there ought to be a full media blackout on the shooter aside from like a name and a mugshot shown ONCE in a broadcast. Meaning ONCE for the 24 hour news networks. Especially in cases like this when the shooter is killed before being captured - who the fuck cares WHY. Leave that for the detectives and families. For the national news story and general public the focus of the conversation should be on HOW such a thing could have been allowed to happen, meaning gun laws.

And for disclosure, no, I don't own a gun, never shot a gun, don't like guns, don't oppose controlled hunting when the animals that get hunted are turned into dinner, don't have a solution to the gun problem in America, and yea I've grown so goddamned desensitized to this bullshit this thread is all the coverage I've seen on this story. Besides a brief segment on NY1 this afternoon when they said the NYPD put some extra cops around their building just in case. Which was really nice of the NYPD. All I heard was "shooting in Virginia" and my brain just tuned it out. Fucking. Sad.

I would NEVER support any kind of "full media blackout" on anything, and I actually find this line of thinking, which has been quite popular ever since the movie theatre massacre (I think Anderson Cooper got it started), quite disturbing. It should not be the media's job to decide what the public should and shouldn't focus on in a story. They should give equal coversage to all aspects of a story, and it is the public's job to decide what to focus on. The media shouldn't be just focusing in on HOW. They need to cover the whole WHAT WHERE WHEN HOW and WHY.
    PJ Soul, I feel you, and I do agree with you in principle. I'm a big fan of freedom of speech and independent reporting. The problem is that in practice, today, in our current reality, that part of your quote which I bolded is already in practice. Because they focus the coverage on the the aspects that sell, because that is unfortunately their job. Get them pageviews you know? So if you look at the coverage of the Charleston shooting it was mostly focused on the shooter and his nonsense, with a small fraction of coverage on the victims and their families. I can't tell you where the line of thinking comes from, but the reason I understand it is because particularly in this dude's case where he was trying to get his shit on social media from the beginning with that go pro, they are seeking media attention. They want to be famous. I say 'they' but I mean this guy. I'm not really big on giving murderers what they want. You know.
    Obviously I know that, but the issue is that the public itself was not calling for the media to censor itself in order to not offend and to be "sensitive". And the media itself openly talks about making that decision, and the public actually congratulates them on it instead of decrying it. And they are doing this despite the money, not to make it, which to me is actually worse, because it is necessarily more restrictive.
    I totally disagree with your evaluation of the media's coverage of the Charleston shooting btw. There was a big focus on the families and victims, and on all the mourners.
    Finally, I think that the shooter's intent is completely irrelevant. I don't care what the shooter wanted, and that shouldn't impact the media's coverage either way IMO.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

What's the obsession with owning a weapon? To me anyone who thinks that they must own a weapon already has a mental illness.

to me anyone who believes thier opinion trumps others his a mantal illness...but I'm no doctor.

Godfather.

• Options

to me anyone who believes thier opinion trumps others his a mantal illness...but I'm no doctor.

Godfather.

omg

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603

Godfather.

omg
    The gift that keeps on giving
  • Options
    Yeah but you didn't answer the question. Why do you need a weapon? It seems like such a drastic thing.
  • Options

Godfather.

F**k... the last thing anyone wants is a mantal illness.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Pretty broad brush you're painting with. Are you saying security guards, police, hunters, ranchers, etc... are all mentally ill? Are you saying olympians (shooting and biathlon) are mentally ill? Are you saying Gern, RR, and other board members who have posted that they own firearms are mentally ill? Just trying to understand this post, which lacks any sort of specifics and leads me to the same conclusion GF reached.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options

Godfather.

All opinions are equal, no matter how ridiculous! =)
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    jeffbr said:

Pretty broad brush you're painting with. Are you saying security guards, police, hunters, ranchers, etc... are all mentally ill? Are you saying olympians (shooting and biathlon) are mentally ill? Are you saying Gern, RR, and other board members who have posted that they own firearms are mentally ill? Just trying to understand this post, which lacks any sort of specifics and leads me to the same conclusion GF reached.
    That he has a mantal illness?
  • Options
    My question is why do you need a gun or a weapon? Still haven't gotten an answer.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

I heard he died, cool.

Godfather.

You realize that these three people could have had an AK-47 strapped to each of their shoulders and they still would have been killed. They were ambushed by a crazy person.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

jeffbr said:

That he has a mantal illness?
    :lol:
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options

My question is why do you need a gun or a weapon? Still haven't gotten an answer.

I bought mine because we had a stalker issue.

I keep the gun separate from the ammo. If I ever had to get the thing on short notice I would be screwed since I would have to find everything, load it, figure out how to fire it (since I haven't fired it in years), etc.

I might as well just get a nice baseball bat.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,908

I m 37 and started hunting with my dad and grandfather when I was ten. I ll continue the tradition with my own kids. I guess we all have mental illnesses you dumb ass.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,558

Godfather.

F**k... the last thing anyone wants is a mantal illness.
    My therapist said I had a mantal illness

So I bought a gun

:hang_loose: