Options

What the hell happen in Virginia??

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986

PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

callen said:

GF, If all guns in US disappeared tomorrow do you think murders would go down?

yes and no butts about it, that's true with anything that causes death tho, eleminate cars and truck and watch traffic deaths decline to zero, eleminate booze and watch booze related deaths drop to zero and so on.

Godfather.

When innocents die in numbers that label gun assaults an EPIDEMIC, and you have a cure, why are you so damn hasty to label it unconstitutional to consider stricter gun reforms, as opposed to saying your pathetic constitutional rights - long since antiquated - ought to be revised in the interests of your country which you claim to love?
    you live in canada ? has anybody ever estamated the amount of illegal guns in your country ? honestly I'm just curious because I'll bet there are a grip of them and murders with or without guns how many a year...1-2-200 ? more ? I know for a fact you have a few outlaw clubs in canada and you can't tell me they are unarmed.

Godfather.

It'd be funny if it wasn't sad.
    The funny part is dealing with people that can't interpret the data
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I hope the gunman had an awful 41 yrs of life.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

callen said:

yes and no butts about it, that's true with anything that causes death tho, eleminate cars and truck and watch traffic deaths decline to zero, eleminate booze and watch booze related deaths drop to zero and so on.

Godfather.

When innocents die in numbers that label gun assaults an EPIDEMIC, and you have a cure, why are you so damn hasty to label it unconstitutional to consider stricter gun reforms, as opposed to saying your pathetic constitutional rights - long since antiquated - ought to be revised in the interests of your country which you claim to love?
    you live in canada ? has anybody ever estamated the amount of illegal guns in your country ? honestly I'm just curious because I'll bet there are a grip of them and murders with or without guns how many a year...1-2-200 ? more ? I know for a fact you have a few outlaw clubs in canada and you can't tell me they are unarmed.

Godfather.

It'd be funny if it wasn't sad.
    The funny part is dealing with people that can't interpret the data
    You'd think it would be really simple- its common sense; but as we bear witness to... things are still complex for some regardless of their simplicity.

The argument against gun legislation is exceptionally weak. The counter points carry little substance. For example, in an attempt to justify ownership of tools designed exclusively for administering death and performing exactly as they are intended to... people compare them to items designed for other purposes where their intended usage resulted in an accidental death (like a spoon for eating or car for transportation).

That's one of the strongest counter arguments. And it's nonsense.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    No matter what 4 family's are now shattered because of gun violence that's what this is gun violence ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/25/us/west-virginia-school-hostage-situation/

This was another situation that was squashed i feel for this young man to be troubled at such an age , AMERICA we do have a gun problem fuck me and my son started his 1st yr at WVU last week i'm not happy about this bad news there ......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,945
    Wow, i'm speechless!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    PJ_Soul said:

racism ? a white camraman and a white reporter killed by a black man with a racism complaint that was tossed out and soon after he was let go because he was a problem to work with for several co-workers, just thinking maybe it's more than a gun issue.

Godfather.

Wow. Gf, congratulations, you think outside of the box. Now come on back to the real world.
    do you think that it's not a possibilty or even the facts so far do not hint at a racist act ?
    but I understand, while we are all saying how sad this news is it just does not feel good to bring up racism or even gun control.

Godfather.

No, I haven't had k e thought of this being anything about racism. It appears to be about a disgruntled employee. It also appears that this sick fuck used racism to file several different complaints against past employers. I don't think he picked these 2 former coworkers because they were white.

To me the better question is how an emotionally unstable person such as this was able to get a gun. Not was he racist.
    Bingo
    Wait, the guy made complaints that the reports about him to HR were racially motivated, and he called the reporter a racist.... so how is racism not an issue here?
    The latest info I heard from the top guy (or some high level of management) at the station said that this guy was fired before the woman reporter started working there. I didn't hear why the cameraman went to HR on the shooter for.

I stopped watching the news coverage around 1 pm today. So if something new came out since, I haven't heard it. But I didn't see any racially charged statements from the shooters twitter or Facebook posts. That leads me to believe this wasn't racially motivated. But it does sound like this guy used race to either get others in trouble at work.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    The manifesto if really from him made it a racial thing. He claimed the South Carolina church shooting was what put him over the edge and he was ready for the race war the same as that kid in SC. From what I saw this nutjob was over sensitive and always looking to fight over small comments not meant to be anything. You say the coffee is too black, he responds you are racist and hate black people.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    I did just see where he registered to buy a gun 2 days after the Charleston shooting. But I haven't read the manifesto.
  • Options
    A guy in Cnn said it best. And I'm paraphrasing, "this guy was looking for notoriety. He even filmed himself doing it. If the media doesn't cover this 24 hours a day, maybe he doesn't do this."
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603

PJ_Soul said:

racism ? a white camraman and a white reporter killed by a black man with a racism complaint that was tossed out and soon after he was let go because he was a problem to work with for several co-workers, just thinking maybe it's more than a gun issue.

Godfather.

Wow. Gf, congratulations, you think outside of the box. Now come on back to the real world.
    do you think that it's not a possibilty or even the facts so far do not hint at a racist act ?
    but I understand, while we are all saying how sad this news is it just does not feel good to bring up racism or even gun control.

Godfather.

No, I haven't had k e thought of this being anything about racism. It appears to be about a disgruntled employee. It also appears that this sick fuck used racism to file several different complaints against past employers. I don't think he picked these 2 former coworkers because they were white.

To me the better question is how an emotionally unstable person such as this was able to get a gun. Not was he racist.
    Bingo
    Wait, the guy made complaints that the reports about him to HR were racially motivated, and he called the reporter a racist.... so how is racism not an issue here?
    The latest info I heard from the top guy (or some high level of management) at the station said that this guy was fired before the woman reporter started working there. I didn't hear why the cameraman went to HR on the shooter for.

I stopped watching the news coverage around 1 pm today. So if something new came out since, I haven't heard it. But I didn't see any racially charged statements from the shooters twitter or Facebook posts. That leads me to believe this wasn't racially motivated. But it does sound like this guy used race to either get others in trouble at work.
    He did say in his insane manifesto that the charleston shooting was the last straw but that he was a ticking bomb for along time.

Again, the bigger issue is obviously that someone who everyone knew was insane and needed help was allowed to buy a gun

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    In all seriousness, there ought to be a full media blackout on the shooter aside from like a name and a mugshot shown ONCE in a broadcast. Meaning ONCE for the 24 hour news networks. Especially in cases like this when the shooter is killed before being captured - who the fuck cares WHY. Leave that for the detectives and families. For the national news story and general public the focus of the conversation should be on HOW such a thing could have been allowed to happen, meaning gun laws.

And for disclosure, no, I don't own a gun, never shot a gun, don't like guns, don't oppose controlled hunting when the animals that get hunted are turned into dinner, don't have a solution to the gun problem in America, and yea I've grown so goddamned desensitized to this bullshit this thread is all the coverage I've seen on this story. Besides a brief segment on NY1 this afternoon when they said the NYPD put some extra cops around their building just in case. Which was really nice of the NYPD. All I heard was "shooting in Virginia" and my brain just tuned it out. Fucking. Sad.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    It is not sad that your brain just tuned out events as such.
    Hell, this thread title is not correct.
    I used to give a shit to things like this.
    Not anymore.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,601
    edited August 2015

PJ_Soul said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Bingo

The general manager of of the station said that she was an intern there while he was still working there, just for a little while before he was fired. Apparently he accused her of saying racist comments. He also said that he was inspired by the Charleston shooting. I'm sure there are other things things at play too related to the guy's state of mind, but that racism was a factor here isn't an assumption. He also accused another news station of the same kinds of things, and was fired from there too, and did use this argument when suing that station in 2000. I saw in interview with his lawyer for that case on CNN.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    ldent42 said:

In all seriousness, there ought to be a full media blackout on the shooter aside from like a name and a mugshot shown ONCE in a broadcast. Meaning ONCE for the 24 hour news networks. Especially in cases like this when the shooter is killed before being captured - who the fuck cares WHY. Leave that for the detectives and families. For the national news story and general public the focus of the conversation should be on HOW such a thing could have been allowed to happen, meaning gun laws.

And for disclosure, no, I don't own a gun, never shot a gun, don't like guns, don't oppose controlled hunting when the animals that get hunted are turned into dinner, don't have a solution to the gun problem in America, and yea I've grown so goddamned desensitized to this bullshit this thread is all the coverage I've seen on this story. Besides a brief segment on NY1 this afternoon when they said the NYPD put some extra cops around their building just in case. Which was really nice of the NYPD. All I heard was "shooting in Virginia" and my brain just tuned it out. Fucking. Sad.

It is not sad that your brain just tuned out events as such.
    Hell, this thread title is not correct.
    I used to give a shit to things like this.
    Not anymore.

Yeah, we are so immune to this shit now. Things like this used to shock most of us. Now we just kind of groan and wish the fuck something else was going on. At least that's how it seems for most of us here and most people I know.

I was talking to this really cool, smart, knowledgeable lady I've known for a while and she said, "I don't even watch the news anymore. I take care of animals instead. I feed rescue birds" (She works with wildlife rescue.) I get it and I don't blame people at all who tune it out. I even envy them a little. I'm not sure I could do that other than when camping or being outside and even then there are subtle reminders. The only time I'm totally free of it is when engaged in anything highly pleasurable to the brain (use your imagination) and when listening to music. Good music is a separate universe for me.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

Godfather.

Godfather.

Just think about how many demented folks are out there that have weapons and are an episode away from doing shit like this ....
    good point but if these people want to kill they will use another method.

Godfather.

What method?

And why do people not die as often in "another method" in other countries?
    home made bombs, knives, poison even thier bare hands, there are many ways to kill and getting rid of guns in the US would only create a black market for weapons and home made weapons then you would have more criminals with guns than good people, the number of unregistered guns in the US must be in the millions and that on top of the registered gun owners, you seem to think of yourself as an intelligent person..how easy is it make a gun in your work shop ? with a piece of pipe ?, before shell style rounds it was black powder and a lead ball shot out of a piece of pipe, we have bow and arrow, crossbows, spears and things as simple as a sharp stick, this is America and this country and it's people will never give up our guns no matter how much none gun owners snivle and cry, but I think you know that.

Godfather.

So why are there not regular mass killing throughout other civilized countries at the hands of poison, knives or bare hands? If Adam Lanza went into Sandy Hook with a knife do you reckon there would be 26 dead people including 20 children

I am pretty pretty pretty sure people would not be making bombs at the rate of multiple mass shootings a month.

It is literally uneducated dispshits in this country with that idiotic mentality that you outline above that is literally the cause of 20 children being murdered. I partially fault people like you for 20 children being murdered and people losing family members today
    so now you partialy blame me ? ...
    you're just a bit on the mellow drama side arnt you....

Godfather.

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

callen said:

Godfather.

Okay so you got a point on booze.

Would you prefer we had no guns or the status quo? I know it won't happen but let's imagine tomorrow no guns were on the street. You good or not?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Would you prefer we had no guns or the status quo? I know it won't happen but let's imagine tomorrow no guns were on the street. You good or not?
    if the police came to my home to collect my guns I'd be pissed, guns out of the hands of criminals...great ! just don't mess with me..responsible gun owners.

Godfather.

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

callen said:

callen said:

Godfather.

if the police came to my home to collect my guns I'd be pissed, guns out of the hands of criminals...great ! just don't mess with me..responsible gun owners.

Godfather.

Not sure if I was clear. Would you like it if you woke up tomorrow and there were no more guns in civilian hands? Good or bad people. So cops would have less. And military still for combat.

Or would you prefer current state where you can own a gun but so can the criminal?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

Godfather.

Godfather.

Just think about how many demented folks are out there that have weapons and are an episode away from doing shit like this ....
    good point but if these people want to kill they will use another method.

Godfather.

What method?

And why do people not die as often in "another method" in other countries?
    home made bombs, knives, poison even thier bare hands, there are many ways to kill and getting rid of guns in the US would only create a black market for weapons and home made weapons then you would have more criminals with guns than good people, the number of unregistered guns in the US must be in the millions and that on top of the registered gun owners, you seem to think of yourself as an intelligent person..how easy is it make a gun in your work shop ? with a piece of pipe ?, before shell style rounds it was black powder and a lead ball shot out of a piece of pipe, we have bow and arrow, crossbows, spears and things as simple as a sharp stick, this is America and this country and it's people will never give up our guns no matter how much none gun owners snivle and cry, but I think you know that.

Godfather.

So why are there not regular mass killing throughout other civilized countries at the hands of poison, knives or bare hands? If Adam Lanza went into Sandy Hook with a knife do you reckon there would be 26 dead people including 20 children

I am pretty pretty pretty sure people would not be making bombs at the rate of multiple mass shootings a month.

It is literally uneducated dispshits in this country with that idiotic mentality that you outline above that is literally the cause of 20 children being murdered. I partially fault people like you for 20 children being murdered and people losing family members today
    so now you partialy blame me ? ...
    you're just a bit on the mellow drama side arnt you....

Godfather.

Oh, yeah. Most definitely partially your fault, along with everyone else who doesn't support some type of measures on gun control and screening.

The fact of the matter is that if it weren't for people like you, laws would like be in place that would not give people like yesterday's shooter, who it seems many people knew was crazy and advised to get professional help, the opportunity to purchase a gun.

So yes, I do.

And the word I think you are referring to is melodramatic, not "mellow drama", which I am not sure what that would even mean.
  • Options

callen said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Bryce Williams was a responsible gun owner until 6:45AM yesterday
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,059
    edited August 2015
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,059
    PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Doesn't our population equal all of theirs together?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

So someone called it above that someone wouldn't know how to read the chart. hahah.

Per 100,000....
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828

PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

I suspect not, but even if that were the case, so what? The graph is not total deaths, it's deaths per 100,000, so differences in population number are already accounted for.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

callen said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

All guns used to blast holes in people were at one point owned- or at a minimum... manufactured- responsibly.

Arguing for guns is along the same lines of arguing against helmets for motorcycles. "It's my choice, man." Yeah. And it's my f**king tax dollars that pay for a home care nurse to wipe the drool off your lips too you f**king dolt.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,601
    ldent42 said:

I would NEVER support any kind of "full media blackout" on anything, and I actually find this line of thinking, which has been quite popular ever since the movie theatre massacre (I think Anderson Cooper got it started), quite disturbing. It should not be the media's job to decide what the public should and shouldn't focus on in a story. They should give equal coversage to all aspects of a story, and it is the public's job to decide what to focus on. The media shouldn't be just focusing in on HOW. They need to cover the whole WHAT WHERE WHEN HOW and WHY.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Rush Limbaugh just spent 20 minutes blaming this on affirmative action practices!
    Seriously.
    "This is what happens..."
    "They are victims of liberalism."
    Wow. Fox News will probably be saying it by tomorrow afternoon.
    :anguished:
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    callen said:

callen said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Not sure if I was clear. Would you like it if you woke up tomorrow and there were no more guns in civilian hands? Good or bad people. So cops would have less. And military still for combat.

Or would you prefer current state where you can own a gun but so can the criminal?
    I prefer that I am able to own a weapon, side note; criminals are not defined by the guns they own they are called criminals because of thier actions with or without guns.

Godfather.

• Options

callen said:

callen said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

All guns used to blast holes in people were at one point owned- or at a minimum... manufactured- responsibly.

Arguing for guns is along the same lines of arguing against helmets for motorcycles. "It's my choice, man." Yeah. And it's my f**king tax dollars that pay for a home care nurse to wipe the drool off your lips too you f**king dolt.
    do you feel the same way about your tax dollars being spent on illegals who enter the US ?
    there is a list of things and places your tax dollars are spent and some would just blow your mind..some that will never benifit you or your family or me and mine but it's spent anyway or if you really want to get pissed off I heard of "slush fund" in the billions thats used to greese the palms of other countries for some kind of favors and other scary shit, I believe we are waaaaay over taxed but the amount of tax money collected is staggering and we never see where it all goes.

Godfather.