The Donald for President

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,553
    it's interesting that I read in Maclean's last night that, and it may have been mentioned already, that the majority of Trump's supporters are typically less educated than his detractors.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,532

it's interesting that I read in Maclean's last night that, and it may have been mentioned already, that the majority of Trump's supporters are typically less educated than his detractors.

Yes the poll I saw said that around 67% of his supporters do not have college degrees. And as I said before having a college degree doesn't necessarily mean you are smarter than someone who doesn't but that statistic is very telling as a whole.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404

Yes the poll I saw said that around 67% of his supporters do not have college degrees. And as I said before having a college degree doesn't necessarily mean you are smarter than someone who doesn't but that statistic is very telling as a whole.
    I'm sure it's been hashed over here multiple times, but you are talking about older whites with a HS only education, in general, who are hurting in this new economy. Trump is really, really smart. He knows where the meat is. People that feel left behind. So they are blaming immigrants (illegal and legal... that's why you are hearing about H1-B visas for the first time as a political issue) and free trade.
    Second, I've also seen some interesting psychological polling about people who are attracted to an authoritarian. It exists on both sides of the aisle but far more prevalent on the right. I don't love the questions posed here because as a parent, I could see both sides. But take a look http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/donald-trump-2016-authoritarian-213533

yes, of course it has nothing to do with smarts. it didn't say IQ scores, it stated education. but I think too many people might believe one is indicative of the other.

www.headstonesband.com

• muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

As telling as the no college degree majority who voted for Obummer?? And most of those dumb dumbs did it twice of course... Now that's very telling as a whole..
    muskydan said:

As telling as the no college degree majority who voted for Obummer?? And most of those dumb dumbs did it twice of course... Now that's very telling as a whole..
    Obummer? What are we trolling on the Drudge links now? Shall we use the name "Hiltlary" next and call us Libtards? I think you are in the wrong place if you are going down that path. But here's something for you to chew on.. this is from Cornell post 2012 election. Although the bachelor degree crowd went to Romney 51-47, the post bachelor education went far heavier to Obama. How do you explain that? Do people get dumber as they pursue their doctorates, MBAs, etc?
    https://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/how-groups-voted/how-groups-voted-2012/

I anxiously await your thoughtful, well articulated reply.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
    Despite have a few college degrees, I agree that a college education does not make me smarter than someone without one. Or more financially successful. I have a nephew who by his mid twenties became more wealthy than I'll ever be and he never graduated from high school. So what we should be talking about here is common sense. I don't see people supporting Trump as having much common sense. He will wreck havoc on your world (not to mention the planet). Think he is there for the common man and woman? Think again.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

muskydan said:

:open_mouth:

www.headstonesband.com

• usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695

Liberty University president Jerry Falwell Jr., the son of the late televangelist, endorsed Donald Trump on Tuesday, giving the Republican front-runner the blessing of one of the evangelical community’s biggest names just days before the Iowa caucuses.

In a statement, Falwell called Trump “a successful executive and entrepreneur, a wonderful father and a man who I believe can lead our country to greatness again.”

a man who I believe can lead our country to greatness again

Woot
  • usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    “He cannot be bought, he's not a puppet on a string like many other candidates ... who have wealthy donors as their puppet masters,”
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623

Liberty University president Jerry Falwell Jr., the son of the late televangelist, endorsed Donald Trump on Tuesday, giving the Republican front-runner the blessing of one of the evangelical community’s biggest names just days before the Iowa caucuses.

In a statement, Falwell called Trump “a successful executive and entrepreneur, a wonderful father and a man who I believe can lead our country to greatness again.”

Woot

Who knew Jerry Falwell's idea of great fathers were incestual?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mrussel1 said:

muskydan said:

Obummer? What are we trolling on the Drudge links now? Shall we use the name "Hiltlary" next and call us Libtards? I think you are in the wrong place if you are going down that path. But here's something for you to chew on.. this is from Cornell post 2012 election. Although the bachelor degree crowd went to Romney 51-47, the post bachelor education went far heavier to Obama. How do you explain that? Do people get dumber as they pursue their doctorates, MBAs, etc?
    https://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/how-groups-voted/how-groups-voted-2012/

:smiley:
    :rofl:
    :whistle:
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891

Woot

Didn't Trump say that he'd bang his own daughter if she wasn't his daughter? I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling that Trump isn't that great a father. He simply loves nepotism, which has given his kids great opportunities.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

Woot

Awesome. Jerry Falwell endorsement. Can't beat that one I suppose. He stands for everything I believe in. Here's a quote from his esteemed father on 9/11/01 "I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say, ‘You helped this happen'"
    :lol:
    Jerry Falwell, lmao. I didn't know anyone listened to him anymore. I thought he was a universal joke at this point.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    mrussel1 said:

muskydan said:

I anxiously await your thoughtful, well articulated reply. </blockquote

Hell No!!!I have been using Obummer since that phony was parading around Chicago preaching his hope and change Crap. I prefer Hildabeast so I will stick w/ that one. Libtards you say, well I won't go there.
    As far as people getting dumber the further they Pursue their education, well I would say some definitely become more out of touch w/ reality. You know, the whole too smart for their own good types that are highly educated but still working at that "we are the World" coffee shop.

edited January 2016
    muskydan said:

mrussel1 said:

muskydan said:

So if you look at the numbers, Obama got the less than HS education pretty heavily, but that was only 3% of the vote. Then as you go up the scale, it's basically split even until you get to post grad. So again, defend your statement that the "no college degree majority" voted for Obummer. The stats play out that any difference is statistically insignificant (+/- 4 points).

I would prefer that you admit that it was a silly statement and maybe you can admit that perhaps there are different views of government's role in a society.
    And btw, I have advanced degrees, am a registered Dem, voted for Obama twice, but also am an executive at a financial services corporation. Most people would not consider me an academic, a sponger or a dum dum.
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    muskydan said:

mrussel1 said:

muskydan said:

Holding out for a management job.haha

mrussel1 said:

muskydan said:

mrussel1 said:

muskydan said:

So if you look at the numbers, Obama got the less than HS education pretty heavily, but that was only 3% of the vote. Then as you go up the scale, it's basically split even until you get to post grad. So again, defend your statement that the "no college degree majority" voted for Obummer. The stats play out that any difference is statistically insignificant (+/- 4 points).

I would prefer that you admit that it was a silly statement and maybe you can admit that perhaps there are different views of government's role in a society.
    And btw, I have advanced degrees, am a registered Dem, voted for Obama twice, but also am an executive at a financial services corporation. Most people would not consider me an academic, a sponger or a dum dum.
    Well glad it's working out 4 you buddy
    edited January 2016
    It's been good. Thanks for asking. Iran deal looks good. I agree with Obamacare. The number of uninsured in this country was and is a moral tragedy. I'm not a fan of the CFPB at this point, they've misused their rule making authority badly and I'd love to have congressional oversight and budget authority on them. The market has been super hot on a prolonged period of economic expansion, notwithstanding the current correction The wages have been stagnant for sure, but that's a trend that goes back 15 years. It isn't Obama. We don't like our wages, but we like that we can have 60 inch TVs for $600 scattered throughout our house.
    So why do you hate Obama so much and how do you think Trump/Cruz or whomever will be able to change that? I'll let go of the other unresolved point related to the dum dum voters for Obummer.
    PJ_Soul said:

:lol:
    Jerry Falwell, lmao. I didn't know anyone listened to him anymore. I thought he was a universal joke at this point.

I didn't know anyone listened to Falwell either. I always just assumed he fell well. :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

mrussel1 said:

It's been good. Thanks for asking. Iran deal looks good. I agree with Obamacare. The number of uninsured in this country was and is a moral tragedy. I'm not a fan of the CFPB at this point, they've misused their rule making authority badly and I'd love to have congressional oversight and budget authority on them. The market has been super hot on a prolonged period of economic expansion, notwithstanding the current correction The wages have been stagnant for sure, but that's a trend that goes back 15 years. It isn't Obama. We don't like our wages, but we like that we can have 60 inch TVs for $600 scattered throughout our house.
    So why do you hate Obama so much and how do you think Trump/Cruz or whomever will be able to change that? I'll let go of the other unresolved point related to the dum dum voters for Obummer.

in my personal experience, most law enforcement or military folk prefer the right, since their chosen profession almost always gets a boost from that segment. apparently "tough on crime" and/or "let's liberate those who don't want us to" are the only things that matter to these people.

www.headstonesband.com

edited January 2016
    muskydan said:

Wrong....but why waste my time explaining to you? You are a classic example of someone who votes against their own self interests.

And to give you reference. I'm a CPA, own my own firm, pay my employees well (with benefits), voted for Obama twice and would gladly vote for him again.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    mrussel1 said:

Keep on drinking that yummy cool aide Pal. As far Barry goes, It's more personal than anything else. Not sharing that on here since honesty is not appreciated in these parts. Only Links from silly blogs and leftist news organizations seem to be appreciated and taken as fact. You think I hate politicians, well that's nothin compared to how I feel about the news Media.
    Can you please explain the Kool aid comment? I don't read left posts. In fact, I specifically read National Review (pretty much a rag these days), Red State and American Conservative (very powerful and intellectual in nature). My mainstream is WashPo, WSJ, NYT and Economist. Huff Post pisses me off more often than not today. I do this to bullet proof my arguments. So please tell me where I am brainwashed. In fact, it appears that your problems are not policy based but visceral in nature.
    And for anyone who thinks it has ever been the job of the press to be neutral, then you've forgotten about US history from about the 18th century until today. It never has been, never meant to be and never will be neutral or 'fair'. Hearst, Pulitzer and the like were always advocating a political view. Parties had their very own papers. No different today.
    muskydan said:

mrussel1 said:

Keep on drinking that yummy cool aide Pal. As far Barry goes, It's more personal than anything else. Not sharing that on here since honesty is not appreciated in these parts. Only Links from silly blogs and leftist news organizations seem to be appreciated and taken as fact. You think I hate politicians, well that's nothin compared to how I feel about the news Media.
    Yeah he's the Kool-Aide drinker because.....why? You really have nothing to back up your insults.

muskydan said:

mrussel1 said:

no, it's because you've got nothing of substance to say.

www.headstonesband.com

Question: Is it possible to have a serious conversation about Trump running for president or can we agree the whole thing is just a joke being played on the Ameripublic?

brianlux said:

Question: Is it possible to have a serious conversation about Trump running for president or can we agree the whole thing is just a joke being played on the Ameripublic?

I don't think of it as a joke - the fact that it's happening is dead serious IMO, and everyone should be gravely concerned about how this whole GOP nomination process is going. However, I do still agree that it's impossible to have a serious conversation about Trump. It's a conundrum. :lol:
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    brianlux said:

Wish it were a joke. It's serious and the worst part, there are humans that seriously consider him.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
This discussion has been closed.