Options

The Donald for President

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,168
    PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

The liberals have been taking Christ out of Xmas for years.

It's not liberals. It's idiots. Most liberals do not want that done (I would know, I'm extremely liberal and absolutely disapprove and so does every other liberal person I know). The VAST majority of people think this kind of thing is ridiculous. The problem is idiots pandering to the lowest common denominator (which is also the minority).
    I don't consider myself an idiot. I consider myself someone who likes everyone to feel welcome and included.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    if I didn't have kids, I'd probably ignore christmas altogether. if you aren't christian, why the fuck spend all that money for no reason? I can get together with family for dinner and whatnot without making everyone shell out hundreds so we can keep the economy moving.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,198

if I didn't have kids, I'd probably ignore christmas altogether. if you aren't christian, why the fuck spend all that money for no reason? I can get together with family for dinner and whatnot without making everyone shell out hundreds so we can keep the economy moving.

Exactly...it's really stupid when you think about it.

I'm 47...up until about 5 years ago my grandma would still give me $20 and a medium sweater from JCPenney's. I haven't been a medium since 1986.

I got $20 and a medium sweater from roughly 1985 to 2010.

Great for kids...kinda useless for everyone else.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,310
    the people who don't want to hear someone say Merry Christmas should have to work on that day and not take it as the national holiday and turn down any Christmas bonus and not attend a Christmas party if their company has one. don't want to hear it or celebrate the given holiday then don't take the benefits of said holiday.

and while Trump is an ass there are parts of the Missouri story that are kind of ridiculous.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

the people who don't want to hear someone say Merry Christmas should have to work on that day and not take it as the national holiday and turn down any Christmas bonus and not attend a Christmas party if their company has one. don't want to hear it or celebrate the given holiday then don't take the benefits of said holiday.

and while Trump is an ass there are parts of the Missouri story that are kind of ridiculous.

I really don't believe anyone is legitimately offended by hearing it, at least not a significant number. it is the companies and businesses that are just saying "hey, let's try to include everyone". it's a PR thing. and they know full well that christmas being a religious holiday is on the decline. it's a marketing holiday.

but I agree with you. I think it's hogwash that I get several days off for no reason and other religions get nothing for their holiday. I think it should be set up federally that you get your chosen religious/spiritual holiday off, and on the other ones, you work. it would get sticky with christmas being one day and hannukah being 8, etc, but you get what I mean.

My God Is The Sun, so I'll gladly take an extra few days off in the summer. Weather permitting.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjhawks said:

many of the old betties at my work get their granny panties in a bunch now that it's no longer called the christmas party at my work, it's the holiday party. I don't give a shit what it's called. I don't go anyway. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Phew. My company says holidays. So still Don't have to work those days.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

pjhawks said:

I really don't believe anyone is legitimately offended by hearing it, at least not a significant number. it is the companies and businesses that are just saying "hey, let's try to include everyone". it's a PR thing. and they know full well that christmas being a religious holiday is on the decline. it's a marketing holiday.

but I agree with you. I think it's hogwash that I get several days off for no reason and other religions get nothing for their holiday. I think it should be set up federally that you get your chosen religious/spiritual holiday off, and on the other ones, you work. it would get sticky with christmas being one day and hannukah being 8, etc, but you get what I mean.

My God Is The Sun, so I'll gladly take an extra few days off in the summer. Weather permitting.

I'd start a new religion that said you can't work anytime the temperature is over 70 degrees. :smiley:
  • Options
    fyi: here is an article basically saying the whole Missouri scandal is a sham. Trump is an ass but he might not be wrong about this case.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/is-the-entire-mizzou-protest-based-on-lies-111115
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,765

I hope you have a good Ramadan!

If I moved to a country that is historically Muslim I would not be offended by this and ask them to change their culture to fit mine. That is what we are asked though to do in the USA and all we are doing is creating a fragmented society instead of a country with shared ideals.
    I celebrate christmas as a family tradition, not a religious one. I don't say merry christmas to anyone I don't know personally. people labelling it as "pc" is complete nonsense. it's called being inclusive.

that being said, i don't give a flying fuck if a company chooses to put santa or jesus or the cross or the menora or whathaveyou on their product. it's their right to do so. it is also their right to tell their staff to greet people in a non-denominational way.

for all these people to be criticizing a company for not towing the religious/cultural line is ridiculous.

but once again, Trump is going to benefit from the politics of division.

I do see saying Merry Christmas as inclusive though. More so than Happy Holidays. Obviously we have a different idea of what inclusive really means.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

The liberals have been taking Christ out of Xmas for years.

It's not liberals. It's idiots. Most liberals do not want that done (I would know, I'm extremely liberal and absolutely disapprove and so does every other liberal person I know). The VAST majority of people think this kind of thing is ridiculous. The problem is idiots pandering to the lowest common denominator (which is also the minority).
    I don't consider myself an idiot. I consider myself someone who likes everyone to feel welcome and included.

I wasn't calling you an idiot. I wasn't talking about people who choose to say Happy Holidays. I think either is fine.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited November 2015

I tend to agree. If it weren't because of my mother, I'd totally ignore Christmas as far as that goes. I mean, I'd attend Christmas parties of course, and it's always nice to have a family dinner, but all the other stuff - gifts, spending, etc - no thanks. I'm not into it at all, and it's a crazy waste of money IMHO. But I'm forced to do it by my family. Of course if I had kids I'd do it for them.... for some reason. I guess so they're not considered weird, and so that they don't feel deprived when comparing themselves to what other kids are doing. But when I really think about it, it's super fucking shitty that we feel obligated to do this, since it means indoctrinating our children into the whole wasteful tradition.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

I'd start a new religion that said you can't work anytime the temperature is over 70 degrees. :smiley:
    I would start and enforce a Pearl Jam religion and it is applicable during tour dates. During said time I must be excused from work and paid time and a half.

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

I would start and enforce a Pearl Jam religion and it is applicable during tour dates. During said time I must be excused from work and paid time and a half.

Pj concerts are indeed religious experience and becomes Ed's church.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,487
    who cares about crap like this please there are so many more important issues to deal with here ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015

who cares about crap like this please there are so many more important issues to deal with here ....

Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    December
    PJ_Soul said:

I tend to agree. If it weren't because of my mother, I'd totally ignore Christmas as far as that goes. I mean, I'd attend Christmas parties of course, and it's always nice to have a family dinner, but all the other stuff - gifts, spending, etc - no thanks. I'm not into it at all, and it's a crazy waste of money IMHO. But I'm forced to do it by my family. Of course if I had kids I'd do it for them.... for some reason. I guess so they're not considered weird, and so that they don't feel deprived when comparing themselves to what other kids are doing. But when I really think about it, it's super fucking shitty that we feel obligated to do this, since it means indoctrinating our children into the whole wasteful tradition.
    agreed....I mean seriously, a fucking christmas tree? Why?

My wife has finally given in to not hanging xmas lights outside....that's been a hard fought battle for years

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

If I moved to a country that is historically Muslim I would not be offended by this and ask them to change their culture to fit mine. That is what we are asked though to do in the USA and all we are doing is creating a fragmented society instead of a country with shared ideals.
    I celebrate christmas as a family tradition, not a religious one. I don't say merry christmas to anyone I don't know personally. people labelling it as "pc" is complete nonsense. it's called being inclusive.

that being said, i don't give a flying fuck if a company chooses to put santa or jesus or the cross or the menora or whathaveyou on their product. it's their right to do so. it is also their right to tell their staff to greet people in a non-denominational way.

for all these people to be criticizing a company for not towing the religious/cultural line is ridiculous.

I do see saying Merry Christmas as inclusive though. More so than Happy Holidays. Obviously we have a different idea of what inclusive really means.
    how is it more inclusive than HH? Happy Holidays ecompasses Christmas as WELL AS all the other religious traditions in December.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2015

PJ_Soul said:

how is it more inclusive than HH? Happy Holidays ecompasses Christmas as WELL AS all the other religious traditions in December.

exactly

To me saying "HH" says "I am not sure what religion you practice but I wish you happiness in whatever capacity"

"Merry Xmas" says "I assume you are a christian just like me"
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,877
    I feel like this conversation is beat into the ground a bit. Say whatever the hell you want, but just be kind to people. It's that simple. Can we go back to making fun of Trump yet? Actually, scratch that. Donald Trump is exceptionally smart. And I mean that. He has manipulated 30% of the GOP base into believing he can do things that cannot be done, bereft of any details. That... is smart.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I feel like this conversation is beat into the ground a bit. Say whatever the hell you want, but just be kind to people. It's that simple. Can we go back to making fun of Trump yet? Actually, scratch that. Donald Trump is exceptionally smart. And I mean that. He has manipulated 30% of the GOP base into believing he can do things that cannot be done, bereft of any details. That... is smart.

I don't find it exceptionally smart. I find the people who believe him to be exceptionally, um..... The thing of it is, you play on people's fears and prejudices and angers, and you will get elected a good portion of the time.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,877

mrussel1 said:

I don't find it exceptionally smart. I find the people who believe him to be exceptionally, um..... The thing of it is, you play on people's fears and prejudices and angers, and you will get elected a good portion of the time.

Well, whether you categorize it as smart or not, it's certainly effective. Let's call it politically savvy.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Well, whether you categorize it as smart or not, it's certainly effective. Let's call it politically savvy.
    thing is, this time, with him, I think it will wear off. I don't think he can ride this wave of stupidity for too much longer.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,676
    edited November 2015

mrussel1 said:

People may not be following Trump because of their IQ's but because they see him as different from the mainstream candidates we've had for a while that are taking the country down a path they don't agree with. They are voting on "hope" rather than can Donald actually deport millions of people. These people love the USA (or their version of it) and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this country is radically changing by the month and will be just a faint representation of the country that rose to be a superpower where people would flock to have the "American Dream". By American Dream, I mean the one where you worked hard to succeed and not the one where the government pays everything.

Oh yeah, and how is open immigration working out for Europe right now? Paris looks like a barrell of fun right now. Countries are building walls. Historically socialistic countries in Scandinavia are saying no more. Societies without shared values and assimilation will not last very long. It is not that some cultures are better than others, but we see extreme examples in the middle east of what happens when countries are dominated by large amounts of different ethnic groups that cannot get along. I think people in the USA are genuienely scared that the country they love is changing on them for good.
  • Options
    the US was built on immigrants. some of the hardest workers are the people that are there illegally who are also in search of a dream. deport them, and your economy will suffer incredible economic damage.

donald trump would do irreparable damage to the reputation of the US. he is already making the process a laughing stock. I can't imagine how embarassed some of these other candidates must be when they are forced to stand up with this clown and actually debate him.

I sincerely fear for the world with donald trump as president.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 3,018

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

thing is, this time, with him, I think it will wear off. I don't think he can ride this wave of stupidity for too much longer.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the masses.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,676
    Immigrants to the US before the 1950's largely came from Europe where generally their ideals were similar and generally assimilated. A Catholic and a Protestant may have different viewpoints in religion but agree on more than they don't. They came here, learned the language, and wanted to contribute.

What do we have now in the US? Politicians pandering to Latinos, pandering to African Americans, pandering to whites, etc.... The country is becoming more and more fractured. It is important that immigrants assimilate so the country isn't fractured.

Also, Trump is for legal immigration. By definition illegal immigrants are law breakers so it is ludicrous to bash trump for following the laws of the land.

Why do we have countries? Why do we have borders? Why are their states? Why are their laws? Why are their town councils? Why are their police? Why are their property rights? The reason is because over time people realized that you would have chaos if there was no order. The liberals would love to have everyone who wants to come to the US come, and that is why people like Truml because they think he is serious about shutting the door except for legal immigration.

If anyone is for immigration with no rules than let me know your address and get the hell out of the house because it is mine now.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Immigrants to the US before the 1950's largely came from Europe where generally their ideals were similar and generally assimilated. A Catholic and a Protestant may have different viewpoints in religion but agree on more than they don't. They came here, learned the language, and wanted to contribute.

What do we have now in the US? Politicians pandering to Latinos, pandering to African Americans, pandering to whites, etc.... The country is becoming more and more fractured. It is important that immigrants assimilate so the country isn't fractured.

Also, Trump is for legal immigration. By definition illegal immigrants are law breakers so it is ludicrous to bash trump for following the laws of the land.

Why do we have countries? Why do we have borders? Why are their states? Why are their laws? Why are their town councils? Why are their police? Why are their property rights? The reason is because over time people realized that you would have chaos if there was no order. The liberals would love to have everyone who wants to come to the US come, and that is why people like Truml because they think he is serious about shutting the door except for legal immigration.

If anyone is for immigration with no rules than let me know your address and get the hell out of the house because it is mine now.

You seem to be confusing Trump with someone who has legitimate ideas, he doesn't.
    He has empty tough talk and a truly juvenile personality.
    Anyone who supports him has serious problems, who else might they support, Britney Spears? Willie Robertson, or whatever his duckin name is?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

exactly

To me saying "HH" says "I am not sure what religion you practice but I wish you happiness in whatever capacity"

"Merry Xmas" says "I assume you are a christian just like me"
    No, that is not what merry Christmas says.
This discussion has been closed.