Options

The Donald for President

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,877

Immigrants to the US before the 1950's largely came from Europe where generally their ideals were similar and generally assimilated. A Catholic and a Protestant may have different viewpoints in religion but agree on more than they don't. They came here, learned the language, and wanted to contribute.

What do we have now in the US? Politicians pandering to Latinos, pandering to African Americans, pandering to whites, etc.... The country is becoming more and more fractured. It is important that immigrants assimilate so the country isn't fractured.

Also, Trump is for legal immigration. By definition illegal immigrants are law breakers so it is ludicrous to bash trump for following the laws of the land.

Why do we have countries? Why do we have borders? Why are their states? Why are their laws? Why are their town councils? Why are their police? Why are their property rights? The reason is because over time people realized that you would have chaos if there was no order. The liberals would love to have everyone who wants to come to the US come, and that is why people like Truml because they think he is serious about shutting the door except for legal immigration.

If anyone is for immigration with no rules than let me know your address and get the hell out of the house because it is mine now.

In the 1850's, during the first wave of immigration by the Irish.. Catholics and Protestants were not viewed as having similar ideas. They were quite different. This was true during the second wave of immigration in the early 20th century as well. Again, these were Italians, Poles, Ukrainians (me) and other eastern Europeans. If you think back to your school days, you might remember NINA. This was posted all over businesses in the NE all the way to Chicago. It meant "No Italians Need Apply" (sometimes used for the Irish too). My real last name is Rosul, but my dad changed it when he arrived to Russell so he could get a job.

So we think of them as culturally similar today, but it wasn't like that during the immigration wave. The same nativist tendencies existed. Don't forget that Kennedy's political opponents tried to scare southerners by saying he would be taking orders from the Pope. Seems silly now, but it was true.

The arguments used against Mexican and other Latins are the same ones used 100 years ago and 150 years ago. But they assimilated and so will this wave. But it happens in the second generation. Not the first. My grandparents never learned a lick of English. My dad was bilingual. I can't speak Uke at all.

What is happening tonight in Europe is false equivalency. The Mexicans coming over are not terrorists. I'm not aware of any Mexican plots to destroy the US. They are coming here for jobs and a better life, just like my dad and his family did. The people to punish are the businesses that hire the workers. They won't come if there are no jobs.

Stepping off my soap box now.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,168

Immigrants to the US before the 1950's largely came from Europe where generally their ideals were similar and generally assimilated. A Catholic and a Protestant may have different viewpoints in religion but agree on more than they don't. They came here, learned the language, and wanted to contribute.

What do we have now in the US? Politicians pandering to Latinos, pandering to African Americans, pandering to whites, etc.... The country is becoming more and more fractured. It is important that immigrants assimilate so the country isn't fractured.

Also, Trump is for legal immigration. By definition illegal immigrants are law breakers so it is ludicrous to bash trump for following the laws of the land.

Why do we have countries? Why do we have borders? Why are their states? Why are their laws? Why are their town councils? Why are their police? Why are their property rights? The reason is because over time people realized that you would have chaos if there was no order. The liberals would love to have everyone who wants to come to the US come, and that is why people like Truml because they think he is serious about shutting the door except for legal immigration.

If anyone is for immigration with no rules than let me know your address and get the hell out of the house because it is mine now.

No one is saying illegal immigration is the way to go. But deporting 11 million people who work the jobs that many americans refuse to work, yet claim are being stolen, will start a financial crisis that cant be solved by Ivanka or Omarosa or Brett Michaels.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,676
    edited November 2015
    mrussel1 said:

In the 1850's, during the first wave of immigration by the Irish.. Catholics and Protestants were not viewed as having similar ideas. They were quite different. This was true during the second wave of immigration in the early 20th century as well. Again, these were Italians, Poles, Ukrainians (me) and other eastern Europeans. If you think back to your school days, you might remember NINA. This was posted all over businesses in the NE all the way to Chicago. It meant "No Italians Need Apply" (sometimes used for the Irish too). My real last name is Rosul, but my dad changed it when he arrived to Russell so he could get a job.

So we think of them as culturally similar today, but it wasn't like that during the immigration wave. The same nativist tendencies existed. Don't forget that Kennedy's political opponents tried to scare southerners by saying he would be taking orders from the Pope. Seems silly now, but it was true.

The arguments used against Mexican and other Latins are the same ones used 100 years ago and 150 years ago. But they assimilated and so will this wave. But it happens in the second generation. Not the first. My grandparents never learned a lick of English. My dad was bilingual. I can't speak Uke at all.

What is happening tonight in Europe is false equivalency. The Mexicans coming over are not terrorists. I'm not aware of any Mexican plots to destroy the US. They are coming here for jobs and a better life, just like my dad and his family did. The people to punish are the businesses that hire the workers. They won't come if there are no jobs.

I agree with your points but it just seems like right now there is a lot of immigration of unskilled workers and parentless kids that will just create more government spending of funds we don't have to support. Decent jobs just aren't there right now.

Also, unchecked immigration is impacting elections because those who want to follow US laws are accused of being racist and bigots. Think about it, the 11 million of illegal immigrants basically guarantees a Democratic victory. The illegal immigration in the USA literally changes the course of the world.

Again, Latino immigrants are hard workers and work harder than a lot of the young people in the US who can't pass a drug test. Let's just follow the laws on the books.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    edited November 2015

mrussel1 said:

I agree with your points but it just seems like right now there is a lot of immigration of unskilled workers and parentless kids that will just create more government spending of funds we don't have to support. Decent jobs just aren't there right now.

Also, unchecked immigration is impacting elections because those who want to follow US laws are accused of being racist and bigots. Think about it, the 11 million of illegal immigrants basically guarantees a Democratic victory. The illegal immigration in the USA literally changes the course of the world.

Again, Latino immigrants are hard workers and work harder than a lot of the young people in the US who can't pass a drug test. Let's just follow the laws on the books.
    If there are no decent jobs, they will leave. They don't qualify for benefits as illegal aliens. Going back to my point earlier, the corporate farmers, manufacturers, hotels, restaurants, etc., are the source of the problem as they are willing to break US laws in order to pay $5 an hour.

Second, I disagree with your assessment that this is an unfair election issue. The 11MM people can't vote, so what you are saying is that the issue changes the course of the election. Perhaps that's true, but if the 'silent majority' truly exists, then you'll win the election and win the issue. If not, you won't. That's representative democracy. But don't think that there isn't a strong strain of racism in this country. For fun one day, click a link (political preferably) on the drudge report and then read the comments section. It will be littered, one after another, with racist rants against blacks, Latinos, etc. It will sicken you.

To be clear, my guess is most people here (and dems generally) don't want unfettered immigration. A wall seems silly and ineffective but there needs to be a solution to stopping the flow. e-verify for jobs is a great start. But sending 11MM home, while 300k children per year are born on soil and therefore citizens, is not a practical solution. A pathway to citizenship is important. Then they can earn minimum wage+ and start to pay taxes. Deportation in wholly impractical.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,676
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

If there are no decent jobs, they will leave. They don't qualify for benefits as illegal aliens. Going back to my point earlier, the corporate farmers, manufacturers, hotels, restaurants, etc., are the source of the problem as they are willing to break US laws in order to pay $5 an hour.

Second, I disagree with your assessment that this is an unfair election issue. The 11MM people can't vote, so what you are saying is that the issue changes the course of the election. Perhaps that's true, but if the 'silent majority' truly exists, then you'll win the election and win the issue. If not, you won't. That's representative democracy. But don't think that there isn't a strong strain of racism in this country. For fun one day, click a link (political preferably) on the drudge report and then read the comments section. It will be littered, one after another, with racist rants against blacks, Latinos, etc. It will sicken you.

To be clear, my guess is most people here (and dems generally) don't want unfettered immigration. A wall seems silly and ineffective but there needs to be a solution to stopping the flow. e-verify for jobs is a great start. But sending 11MM home, while 300k children per year are born on soil and therefore citizens, is not a practical solution. A pathway to citizenship is important. Then they can earn minimum wage+ and start to pay taxes. Deportation in wholly impractical.
    I know that the illegals can't vote, but clearly the Latinos that can vote tend to vote Democrat because the Republicans actually want to enforce immigration laws and they don't want to see their Latino brothers and sisters sent back.

Personally, I don't think the 11 million should be deported, but outside of Trump no candidate seems to care about stopping the flow. I don't think Trump would do a mass deportation either. He is just talking tough right now like a politician.

I agree that the comments you referenced are disgusting. If people want to come to the USA and work hard to contribute and agree with our laws and norms, I am all for it. From any country. What I don't want is people coming here that do not respect our laws and regulations, don't want to work hard, and just become another group to be pandered to by politicians and further fracture the country.

Again, there are plenty of drugged up losers in the USA that were born here, and so hard working Mexicans are definitely needed. Just do it legally.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,849
    What r

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

I know that the illegals can't vote, but clearly the Latinos that can vote tend to vote Democrat because the Republicans actually want to enforce immigration laws and they don't want to see their Latino brothers and sisters sent back.

Personally, I don't think the 11 million should be deported, but outside of Trump no candidate seems to care about stopping the flow. I don't think Trump would do a mass deportation either. He is just talking tough right now like a politician.

I agree that the comments you referenced are disgusting. If people want to come to the USA and work hard to contribute and agree with our laws and norms, I am all for it. From any country. What I don't want is people coming here that do not respect our laws and regulations, don't want to work hard, and just become another group to be pandered to by politicians and further fracture the country.

Again, there are plenty of drugged up losers in the USA that were born here, and so hard working Mexicans are definitely needed. Just do it legally.
    The majority can't do it legally so they have no choice.
    I personally have worked alongside many Mexicans over the years, most of them illegal. All this propaganda that illegals have it easy is garbage.
    Many of them leave behind their wives and children. They work long hours for low wages. I have been with Mexicans whose mothers have died back home and they can't go to the funeral because of the risk of not being able to get back in. Trump has no idea what he is talking about. These people aren't taking jobs from Americans. If there was a mass deportation then trust me: 97% of the restaurants in NYC would close down the next day.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Trump hasn't said a single word about the businesses that put illegals to work.
    To any intelligent, sane person this is proof that he is either ignorant or just talking shit.

Those who fall for his BS should literally have their brains examined for tumors and holes.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,765
    edited November 2015

nice shot

Lots of white people.

Why did you post this?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambs said:

To any intelligent, sane person this is proof that he is either ignorant or just talking shit.

Those who fall for his BS should literally have their brains examined for tumors and holes.

I think it's impossible that Trump industries have not employed illegals. Has someone investigated that yet?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

I think it's impossible that Trump industries have not employed illegals. Has someone investigated that yet?
    Yeah, his towers are built with the inclusion of illegal labor just like the rest of them. His supporters didn't pay any attention.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    photo 1b339987-94d5-4217-88f6-926b0e0eac9b_zpssz3v854z.png
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Uncle Neil!!!

Who's the other guy?
  • Options
    Trump attempted to claim that because Neil sought an investment from Trump he ought to support him poltically too. LMAO. What a fucking idiot.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I think it's a funny pic...I really do not care about anything related to politics or government.
  • Options
    This bloviating buffoon is now saying he will absolutely use nukes on ISIS within his first 100 days.
    Every time he opens his mouth and releases methane he should go down in the polls, but the fritatas that populate this country eat these kind of farts like Italians eat pasta.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

This bloviating buffoon is now saying he will absolutely use nukes on ISIS within his first 100 days.
    Every time he opens his mouth and releases methane he should go down in the polls, but the fritatas that populate this country eat these kind of farts like Italians eat pasta.

if he actually wins, he will start world war 3.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited December 2015
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited November 2015
    Gambs, Idiocracy at it's finest.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,601
    I don't know who's stupider and/or scarier....

Donald Trump

Or the people who support him and would vote for him

:rage:
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I don't know who's stupider and/or scarier....

Donald Trump

Or the people who support him and would vote for him

:rage:

• Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    No Candidate in this race is tougher on ISIS, pure and simple. Hence, his numbers are soaring
  • Options

No Candidate in this race is tougher on ISIS, pure and simple. Hence, his numbers are soaring

the politics of fear win every time. but this race is a LONG one, so when the ISIS bubble burts, so will Trump's chances.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2015

What does it mean to be 'tough on ISIS'? Should we send in ground troops? How would we occupy Mosul or Raqqa? Should we partner with the Russians? Create no fly zones over Syria?
    It's easy to bluster, but hard to impose your will on our global peers.

I think it's interesting that it appears that Russia and the US coalition (France and Britain) are now willing to put aside their differences on Assad, likely strike a cease fire with the moderate rebels, and coordinate forces against ISIL. I think this is an excellent strategy for the moment.

The Assad issue will have to be dealt with. Russia will demand concessions so that they can continue to control Syria. Let's not fool ourselves.

Oh, and don't forget that in September, Trump advocated leaving ISIL alone in Syria and allowing Assad and ISIL to battle it out. That doesn't seem very tough to me. http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/27/donald-trumps-plan-defeat-isis-let-isis-assad-fight-u-s-clean-remnants/
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,198
    You have to give the GOP credit for their ruthlessness. They are willing to go full dumbass in order to score political points.

Obama is doing what his advisors (including the Joint Chiefs) are recommending to him. The GOP pres candidates aren't getting the intelligence that Obama is being given on a daily basis yet they act like they are completely in the know about the whole situation.

ISIS attacked France with 8 people willing to commit suicide...that isn't strength. ISIS bombed a Russian plane. France and Russia are capable of taking out ISIS as are Saudi Arabia and Turkey...let them handle it.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

You have to give the GOP credit for their ruthlessness. They are willing to go full dumbass in order to score political points.

Obama is doing what his advisors (including the Joint Chiefs) are recommending to him. The GOP pres candidates aren't getting the intelligence that Obama is being given on a daily basis yet they act like they are completely in the know about the whole situation.

ISIS attacked France with 8 people willing to commit suicide...that isn't strength. ISIS bombed a Russian plane. France and Russia are capable of taking out ISIS as are Saudi Arabia and Turkey...let them handle it.

The POTUS is only listening to what he wants to hear. LTG Michael Flynn, who is the former director of the Defense Intelligence Agency was interviewed by Al Jazeera and warned the POTUS. He did not listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG3j8OYKgn4
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options

The POTUS is only listening to what he wants to hear. LTG Michael Flynn, who is the former director of the Defense Intelligence Agency was interviewed by Al Jazeera and warned the POTUS. He did not listen.

He wants American soldiers to die....Obama isn't willing to do that yet

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

I couldn't watch this at work, but if he is advocating ground troops, I think that's a mistake. How do you hold cities you take? How do you hold Mosul?

The military's raison d'etre is to go to war. That's one of the reasons why a civilian is in charge of the military. Throw in the industrial complex behind today's military, and there is enormous financial incentive to perpetuate war.

As I pointed out earlier, I'm heartened by the expected cease fire between the moderates in Syria and the Assad gov't. That will allow more of a focus against ISIL. Second, Russia is now communicating its plans of attack to help coordinate with the coalition forces. Another excellent sign. The final step would be some agreement that Assad won't run in the next election and having an orderly transfer of power. Assad can hide in Russia for the remainder of his days. This would bring in Sunni support which is critical.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I couldn't watch this at work, but if he is advocating ground troops, I think that's a mistake. How do you hold cities you take? How do you hold Mosul?

The military's raison d'etre is to go to war. That's one of the reasons why a civilian is in charge of the military. Throw in the industrial complex behind today's military, and there is enormous financial incentive to perpetuate war.

As I pointed out earlier, I'm heartened by the expected cease fire between the moderates in Syria and the Assad gov't. That will allow more of a focus against ISIL. Second, Russia is now communicating its plans of attack to help coordinate with the coalition forces. Another excellent sign. The final step would be some agreement that Assad won't run in the next election and having an orderly transfer of power. Assad can hide in Russia for the remainder of his days. This would bring in Sunni support which is critical.
    Exactly...and the bigger reason for us to stay out (to me at least) is that there is plenty of anti-ISIS military assets ALREADY OVER THERE. Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Iran...not to mention Russia, etc. are all in the region. We don't need to put our asses over there and stir up more shit.

We are actually providing a lot of intelligence there right now. I would guess that most of these air strikes from France are being made with our ground intelligence.

• Options

mrussel1 said:

Exactly...and the bigger reason for us to stay out (to me at least) is that there is plenty of anti-ISIS military assets ALREADY OVER THERE. Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Iran...not to mention Russia, etc. are all in the region. We don't need to put our asses over there and stir up more shit.

We are actually providing a lot of intelligence there right now. I would guess that most of these air strikes from France are being made with our ground intelligence.
    For the record, we are speaking the language of conservatives. And I mean true Pat Buchanan conservatives who are very reserved about the use of American power, except for very specific reasons with clear and meaningful strategic interests. Some irony there. You should go to the American Conservative website. You will probably find yourself agreeing with many viewpoints.
This discussion has been closed.