Options

The Donald for President

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    Do any of you honestly think Trump will get elected? If so, give me your break down, and please, no recycled garbage from the media. Many of you sound like wanna-be political scientists (sorry if there are real ones here), so go ahead, I want to hear your argument.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,180

Do any of you honestly think Trump will get elected? If so, give me your break down, and please, no recycled garbage from the media. Many of you sound like wanna-be political scientists (sorry if there are real ones here), so go ahead, I want to hear your argument.

Not a chance. I admit to being surprised that he is still around but I can't imagine that he will even get the GOP nomination.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    callen, did your phone actually autocorrect Donald Trump to Do Alda end table??

That may be my new nickname for him.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

if you've followed this thread at all you know why I think it's very possible, just to break down into 2 words it's this "large following" for the rest re-read my posts, no political science needed just good ol' common sense.

Godfather.

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited November 2015
    hedonist said:

callen, did your phone actually autocorrect Donald Trump to Do Alda end table??

That may be my new nickname for him.

Ha. Yeah autocorrect and rushing off the bus on morning commute. Fixed.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    GF, well the first and only bumper sticker I've seen supported Donald.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    I think it's funny how Trump attacked Rubio's financial messes and Rubio nailed him about filing bankruptcy.

Imagine someone running an anti-Trump ad with Trump's own words being used when he stated that he "took advantage of the laws available" to file bankruptcy. That will be one nail in his coffin.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,146

if you've followed this thread at all you know why I think it's very possible, just to break down into 2 words it's this "large following" for the rest re-read my posts, no political science needed just good ol' common sense.

Godfather.

Guiliani had a large following as well in the beginning based on nothing but piggy-backing on his own post-9/11 celebrity. it faded when everyone realized he lacked any substance at the federal level. trump won't get nominated. he'll drop out (or won't out of stubbornness, but should have) before it's at the final stages.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Godfather.

Guiliani had a large following as well in the beginning based on nothing but piggy-backing on his own post-9/11 celebrity. it faded when everyone realized he lacked any substance at the federal level. trump won't get nominated. he'll drop out (or won't out of stubbornness, but should have) before it's at the final stages.

Agreed....as soon as he starts having to spend a shitload of money he'll get out

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,841
    Trump doesn't have cross over appeal to independents or moderate democrats. I quality as the latter and he certainly doesn't appeal to me as a fiscal moderate, social liberal. And remember, it doesn't matter what someone in East Texas, CA, NY, or ID thinks. Those are not swing states. It's CO, OH, FL, VA and all the usual suspects. Several of those have large Hispanic populations.

If your platform is deporting 11MM people, that's a non-starter for most of the country, certainly in those states. And what do you do with their children? Deport US citizens or pretend the 14th Amendment doesn't exist. It's a specious argument that will not fly in the general election.

And to the Godfather, what is common sense to you, is not to me. That's where polling and poly sci come into play.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203

Godfather.

That wasn't directed just for you GF, sorry! However, that's a disappointing response.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,304
    I've said all along I don't think Trump really wants to be President. I think he joined for the PR and then woke up in the lead and had to continue. I still think he backs before the primary.

I also still believe Rubio ends up as the Republican Nominee. Still don't think Carson can get the support.. I also think Rubio is the one Republican who can win the Presidency from Hillary.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

I've said all along I don't think Trump really wants to be President. I think he joined for the PR and then woke up in the lead and had to continue. I still think he backs before the primary.

I also still believe Rubio ends up as the Republican Nominee. Still don't think Carson can get the support.. I also think Rubio is the one Republican who can win the Presidency from Hillary.

All true statements.. I really don't have a strong opinion on Rubio at this point though. He seems invisible to me.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I don't see Rubio making it with his financial history. He's lucky he wasn't prosecuted...dude put $6000 on his GOP credit card for a paver patio at his house. He's not talking his way out of that on a national level.

I still say Bush is the eventual nominee with Hillary trouncing him in the election.

• Options

I don't see Rubio making it with his financial history. He's lucky he wasn't prosecuted...dude put $6000 on his GOP credit card for a paver patio at his house. He's not talking his way out of that on a national level.

I still say Bush is the eventual nominee with Hillary trouncing him in the election.

I don't know if that story sticks or not. I'm also not sure Bush gets it. The grass roots HATES Bush. I just hope nothing clears for Cruz. I have a definite opinion on him.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    pjhawks said:

Good stuff. Hell Trump may have dissed Dubya his dad and McCain hoping it would end but boosted his ratings instead.

My nightmare, President Cruz.
    Post edited by callen on
  • Options

Godfather.

you could be right no doubt and if you are I wont be surprised at all.
    the pool of candidates is disappointing, as much as I am enjoying this stage play in the political arena I am worried what it is doing to our country.

Godfather.

• Options

agreed....but I still think Hell'ary is bad news.

Godfather.
  • Options

Godfather.

That wasn't directed just for you GF, sorry! However, that's a disappointing response.
    please accept my apologies as well.

Godfather.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    A recurring Fox News guest, the ve
    Shawshank said:

I said this month's ago just talking to Hispanics I know. Trump's support among Hispanics in Texas is mind boggling, but makes perfect sense...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/nov/3/donald-trump-could-win-over-hispanics-who-fear-job/

I can say this for an absolute certainty...if he captures a decent segment of that vote, he will be President Trump. Like it or not.

Sure, Trump will win Hispanics...except that's a ridiculous fantasy.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/563caecde4b0411d307096fc
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,662
    The only good thing about him somehow winning is that maybe this politically correctness that has taken over will get criticized from the top.

I mean we have major cities where you cant use the term "brown bag" for lunch because it's apparently racist. Also a store using the word Christmas during uh..Christmas season is just so offensive that the earth might explode.

His only redeeming quality is that he's anti-PC.
  • Options

The only good thing about him somehow winning is that maybe this politically correctness that has taken over will get criticized from the top.

I mean we have major cities where you cant use the term "brown bag" for lunch because it's apparently racist. Also a store using the word Christmas during uh..Christmas season is just so offensive that the earth might explode.

The public determines PC...not the President.

Retailers decide whether they will focus on "Christmas" rather than the holidays knowing that many of their customers are not christian. Christians are just going to have to get over it.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,764
    edited November 2015

Retailers decide whether they will focus on "Christmas" rather than the holidays knowing that many of their customers are not christian. Christians are just going to have to get over it.
    I don't know any non-Christians who are offended by Christmas. All of them actually celebrate Christmas is some way, actually. Not in any religious way, but they are certainly just as happy to be involved in non-religious Christmas traditions with friends, etc. Some actually include it as a new family tradition, i.e. the tree, stocking for the kids, etc. Myself included. I am an Atheist, but I still do the Christmas thing. I know Muslims and Sikhs who do too.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't know any non-Christians who are offended by Christmas. All of them actually celebrate Christmas is some way, actually. Not in any religious way, but they are certainly just as happy to be involved in non-religious Christmas traditions with friends, etc. Some actually include it as a new family tradition, i.e. the tree, stocking for the kids, etc. Myself included. I am an Atheist, but I still do the Christmas thing. I know Muslims and Sikhs who do too.
    Right but a retailer might tell their workers to wish "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Xmas" to customers to be all inclusive. Right wing christians turn that into their annual "War on Christmas".

Why would you say "Merry Christmas" to a Jewish person? We can't just assume that everyone believes the same thing and get offended when people/businesses adjust for that.

I'm an atheist as well and could really care less if someone says it to me but I certainly see why businesses go for a more inclusive remark.

• Options
    edited November 2015

PJ_Soul said:

Right but a retailer might tell their workers to wish "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Xmas" to customers to be all inclusive. Right wing christians turn that into their annual "War on Christmas".

Why would you say "Merry Christmas" to a Jewish person? We can't just assume that everyone believes the same thing and get offended when people/businesses adjust for that.

I'm an atheist as well and could really care less if someone says it to me but I certainly see why businesses go for a more inclusive remark.
    I absolutely do say Merry Christmas to Jews and everyone else. It doesn't matter to me what religion they are. I wish people a Merry Christmas. I say it in my work emails, etc. I think the 'don't say Merry Christmas' thing is absolutely idiotic. Would you be offended if a Jew said "Happy Hanukkah" to you? Of course not. I have personally NEVER met a person who minds being wished a Merry Christmas, no matter their religion or culture (and am frankly not in the least concerned with anyone who does mind - I don't care if they find it offensive, because they are wrong idiots. I don't cater to wrong idiots).
    Wishing someone a Merry Christmas does not assume that the person believes the same thing as me. I think it's a nice, polite, inclusive thing to say to someone, Not the other way around. "Merry Christmas" means something to me, and therefore it is sincere. "Happy holidays" means absolutely nothing to me. I may as well be saying "enjoy the weather".
    That said, I don't give a shit what stores do. They are what ruins Christmas anyway. Switching to Happy Holidays isn't going to make any difference as far as they're concerned. Their "Christmas" is simply dollar signs, so I don't give a shit.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I absolutely do say Merry Christmas to Jews and everyone else. It doesn't matter to me what religion they are. I wish people a Merry Christmas. I say it in my work emails, etc. I think the 'don't say Merry Christmas' thing is absolutely idiotic. Would you be offended if a Jew said "Happy Hanukkah" to you? .
    I wouldn't be offended but I would think that person was really stupid.

This is exactly why retailers go the Happy Holidays route....why take the chance of offending anyone?

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I absolutely do say Merry Christmas to Jews and everyone else. It doesn't matter to me what religion they are. I wish people a Merry Christmas. I say it in my work emails, etc. I think the 'don't say Merry Christmas' thing is absolutely idiotic. Would you be offended if a Jew said "Happy Hanukkah" to you? .

This is exactly why retailers go the Happy Holidays route....why take the chance of offending anyone?
    Why would you think that the person is really stupid?? (in other words, why do you think I'm stupid for doing it?)
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Why would you think that the person is really stupid?? (in other words, why do you think I'm stupid for doing it?)
    Why would you wish someone "Happy Hanukkah" if you had no idea that they even celebrated it?

Jews don't believe Jesus was significant so why would you say "Merry Christmas" to a Jew? Makes no sense to me.

Edit: To me it's the same as wishing everyone "Happy Grandparents Day" when you either (1) have no idea if they have grandchildren and/or (2) They are obviously too young to be grandparents (i.e. wishing a 10 year old Happy Grandparents Day)....it's no different really
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

• Options
    edited November 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Why would you wish someone "Happy Hanukkah" if you had no idea that they even celebrated it?

Jews don't believe Jesus was significant so why would you say "Merry Christmas" to a Jew? Makes no sense to me.

Edit: To me it's the same as wishing everyone "Happy Grandparents Day" when you either (1) have no idea if they have grandchildren and/or (2) They are obviously too young to be grandparents (i.e. wishing a 10 year old Happy Grandparents Day)....it's no different really
    I feel like it's a nice, friendly way to share the spirit of the season. I think a lot of people look at it that way. It doesn't matter if they celebrate it. You're not saying it because they celebrate. It's you expressing good wishes to them in terms that mean something to you (and therefore it means more in general). That's how I see it, and I know a lot of other people do too. It's not stupid.
    I would appreciate a Jewish person saying Happy Chanukah to me. It would tell me that they are giving me good wishes in terms that matter to them. It seems inclusive.
This discussion has been closed.