The Donald for President

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,180
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

The only good thing about him somehow winning is that maybe this politically correctness that has taken over will get criticized from the top.

I mean we have major cities where you cant use the term "brown bag" for lunch because it's apparently racist. Also a store using the word Christmas during uh..Christmas season is just so offensive that the earth might explode.

His only redeeming quality is that he's anti-PC.

The public determines PC...not the President.

Retailers decide whether they will focus on "Christmas" rather than the holidays knowing that many of their customers are not christian. Christians are just going to have to get over it.
    I don't know any non-Christians who are offended by Christmas. All of them actually celebrate Christmas is some way, actually. Not in any religious way, but they are certainly just as happy to be involved in non-religious Christmas traditions with friends, etc. Some actually include it as a new family tradition, i.e. the tree, stocking for the kids, etc. Myself included. I am an Atheist, but I still do the Christmas thing. I know Muslims and Sikhs who do too.
    Right but a retailer might tell their workers to wish "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Xmas" to customers to be all inclusive. Right wing christians turn that into their annual "War on Christmas".

Why would you say "Merry Christmas" to a Jewish person? We can't just assume that everyone believes the same thing and get offended when people/businesses adjust for that.

I'm an atheist as well and could really care less if someone says it to me but I certainly see why businesses go for a more inclusive remark.
    I absolutely do say Merry Christmas to Jews and everyone else. It doesn't matter to me what religion they are. I wish people a Merry Christmas. I say it in my work emails, etc. I think the 'don't say Merry Christmas' thing is absolutely idiotic. Would you be offended if a Jew said "Happy Hanukkah" to you? .
    I wouldn't be offended but I would think that person was really stupid.

This is exactly why retailers go the Happy Holidays route....why take the chance of offending anyone?
    Why would you think that the person is really stupid?? (in other words, why do you think I'm stupid for doing it?)
    Why would you wish someone "Happy Hanukkah" if you had no idea that they even celebrated it?

Jews don't believe Jesus was significant so why would you say "Merry Christmas" to a Jew? Makes no sense to me.

Edit: To me it's the same as wishing everyone "Happy Grandparents Day" when you either (1) have no idea if they have grandchildren and/or (2) They are obviously too young to be grandparents (i.e. wishing a 10 year old Happy Grandparents Day)....it's no different really
    I feel like it's a nice, friendly way to share the spirit of the season. I think a lot of people look at it that way. It doesn't matter if they celebrate it. You're not saying it because they celebrate. It's you expressing good wishes to them in terms that mean something to you (and therefore it means more in general). That's how I see it, and I know a lot of other people do too. It's not stupid.
    I would appreciate a Jewish person saying Happy Chanukah to me. It would tell me that they are giving me good wishes in terms that matter to them. It seems inclusive.
    ok well Happy Grandparents Day!
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,764

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

The only good thing about him somehow winning is that maybe this politically correctness that has taken over will get criticized from the top.

I mean we have major cities where you cant use the term "brown bag" for lunch because it's apparently racist. Also a store using the word Christmas during uh..Christmas season is just so offensive that the earth might explode.

Retailers decide whether they will focus on "Christmas" rather than the holidays knowing that many of their customers are not christian. Christians are just going to have to get over it.
    I don't know any non-Christians who are offended by Christmas. All of them actually celebrate Christmas is some way, actually. Not in any religious way, but they are certainly just as happy to be involved in non-religious Christmas traditions with friends, etc. Some actually include it as a new family tradition, i.e. the tree, stocking for the kids, etc. Myself included. I am an Atheist, but I still do the Christmas thing. I know Muslims and Sikhs who do too.
    Right but a retailer might tell their workers to wish "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Xmas" to customers to be all inclusive. Right wing christians turn that into their annual "War on Christmas".

Why would you say "Merry Christmas" to a Jewish person? We can't just assume that everyone believes the same thing and get offended when people/businesses adjust for that.

I'm an atheist as well and could really care less if someone says it to me but I certainly see why businesses go for a more inclusive remark.
    I absolutely do say Merry Christmas to Jews and everyone else. It doesn't matter to me what religion they are. I wish people a Merry Christmas. I say it in my work emails, etc. I think the 'don't say Merry Christmas' thing is absolutely idiotic. Would you be offended if a Jew said "Happy Hanukkah" to you? .

This is exactly why retailers go the Happy Holidays route....why take the chance of offending anyone?
    Why would you think that the person is really stupid?? (in other words, why do you think I'm stupid for doing it?)
    Why would you wish someone "Happy Hanukkah" if you had no idea that they even celebrated it?

Jews don't believe Jesus was significant so why would you say "Merry Christmas" to a Jew? Makes no sense to me.

Edit: To me it's the same as wishing everyone "Happy Grandparents Day" when you either (1) have no idea if they have grandchildren and/or (2) They are obviously too young to be grandparents (i.e. wishing a 10 year old Happy Grandparents Day)....it's no different really
    I feel like it's a nice, friendly way to share the spirit of the season. I think a lot of people look at it that way. It doesn't matter if they celebrate it. You're not saying it because they celebrate. It's you expressing good wishes to them in terms that mean something to you (and therefore it means more in general). That's how I see it, and I know a lot of other people do too. It's not stupid.
    I would appreciate a Jewish person saying Happy Chanukah to me. It would tell me that they are giving me good wishes in terms that matter to them. It seems inclusive.
    It's not Grandparents day (and that's actually not the same AT ALL btw).
    I don't wish people Merry Christmas in July.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Have a Happy Deepavali!

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    If someone is offended from someone wishing them Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah then they need to have their life evaluated. Life is too short to worry about this nonsense. Why not say Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah back or just say have a great day. There is no need to be a dick and think that person is an idiot.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Have a Happy Deepavali!
    Thanks!
    I am wished Happy Diwali every year by several people. Always appreciated.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

If someone is offended from someone wishing them Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah then they need to have their life evaluated. Life is too short to worry about this nonsense. Why not say Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah back or just say have a great day. There is no need to be a dick and think that person is an idiot.

I guess some of us feel like we shouldn't assume that any person that you come in contact with believes the same stuff that we do.

Going up to a Jewish person and saying "so what are you doing for Easter?" would be kind of ignorant don't you think?

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    edited November 2015

I guess some of us feel like we shouldn't assume that any person that you come in contact with believes the same stuff that we do.

Going up to a Jewish person and saying "so what are you doing for Easter?" would be kind of ignorant don't you think?
    But that isn't what we're doing. I think this assumption of yours must be why you have this view about it. I don't assume anything when I say Merry Christmas (in plenty of cases I know for a fact that these people aren't Christian). I am simply passing on well wishes during a holiday that I celebrate, which is largely about embracing others and peace and harmony. It's a nice, friendly thing to do.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited November 2015
    Won't say merry Christmas to a Muslim. A Jew eh! Ha
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

Not say if merry Christmas to a Muslim. Jew eh! Ha

Huh?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

callen said:

Not say if merry Christmas to a Muslim. Jew eh! Ha

Huh?
    typing on bouncy bus wo my readers. Fixed.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Why wouldn't you say Merry Christmas to a Muslim? I've found that Muslims are very receptive to it. I know several Muslims who celebrate Christmas themselves in one way or another. They are glad to be invited to Christmas dinners, happy to give and receive gifts among their friends, and to generally enjoy the holiday with the people they know who do Christmas. I've known Jews who have done the same. I've found that most non-Christians are perfectly open-minded about it. It seems to me that the only people who think it's not appropriate are white Christians. How interesting. The PC Monster strikes again!
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,841
    Yeah I think there is a big difference between Easter and Christmas. Easter is clearly a Christian holiday and truly centers around the Resurrection. Christmas is a bit broader and is about the season, winter, New Years, commercialism, trees, presents, Santa, etc. It's why the right wing takes the annual victim mentality for the War on Christmas. You don't hear them squawking about Spring Break like they did Winter Break.
    I'm sure everyone so the latest perceived slight, the removal of snowflakes, and other secular symbols from the Starbucks cups this season has Breitbart and the like all up in arms. Starbucks said it's about the simplicity of the season. Ridiculous all around.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,665
    It isn't that the general public that isn't Christian is offended by Christmas it is that a few wealthy, connected or persistent people complain and threaten lawsuits that force companies to change their policies.

The US is supposed to be a cultural melting pot but yet a greeter at Target can't say Merry Christmas because they fear offending someone. Well, a cultural melting pot goes both ways so that someone shouldn't be offended but needs to change their viewpoint to that of living in a cultural melting pot.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Why wouldn't you say Merry Christmas to a Muslim? I've found that Muslims are very receptive to it. I know several Muslims who celebrate Christmas themselves in one way or another. They are glad to be invited to Christmas dinners, happy to give and receive gifts among their friends, and to generally enjoy the holiday with the people they know who do Christmas. I've known Jews who have done the same. I've found that most non-Christians are perfectly open-minded about it. It seems to me that the only people who think it's not appropriate are white Christians. How interesting. The PC Monster strikes again!

Huh? Nothing to do with being PC. Im not a Christian and I have a Christmas tree and Celebrate Christmas but I'm not going to say merry Christmas to a Muslim. Not PC, it's being cool. Think your going to far on this.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

But that isn't what we're doing. I think this assumption of yours must be why you have this view about it. I don't assume anything when I say Merry Christmas (in plenty of cases I know for a fact that these people aren't Christian). I am simply passing on well wishes during a holiday that I celebrate, which is largely about embracing others and peace and harmony. It's a nice, friendly thing to do.
    Right...and I argue that saying "Happy Holidays" is a much better way to be friendly to everyone.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Nuts that this is even an issue. The goodwill behind such wishes speaks for itself. Someone says they'll keep me in their prayers - whether or not I believe in the power of prayer - it's always appreciated, and taken as a kind gesture.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Nuts that this is even an issue. The goodwill behind such wishes speaks for itself. Someone says they'll keep me in their prayers - whether or not I believe in the power of prayer - it's always appreciated, and taken as a kind gesture.

Agreed, hedonist.
    To keep on topic with the Donald thread, I did hear him speak of a Starbuck's boycott over the cups. I think Starbucks is just being cheap. Trying to save pennies using plain cups vs printed cups. More advertising through "controversy".
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Right...and I argue that saying "Happy Holidays" is a much better way to be friendly to everyone.
    Why is it better? There is nothing wrong with it. But it's not better. It's just your way, which is fine.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Why is it better? There is nothing wrong with it. But it's not better. It's just your way, which is fine.
    If someone is Jewish is it more appropriate to say "Happy Hanukkah" or "Merry Christmas"?

The obvious answer is that it is more appropriate to say HH since that person believes that Jesus has no significance.

Therefore, it is only logical to state that "Happy Holidays" is much more appropriate when you don't have a clue about the religion of the person you are addressing. Yes either is "nice" but isn't it more appropriate?

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

If someone is Jewish is it more appropriate to say "Happy Hanukkah" or "Merry Christmas"?

The obvious answer is that it is more appropriate to say HH since that person believes that Jesus has no significance.

Therefore, it is only logical to state that "Happy Holidays" is much more appropriate when you don't have a clue about the religion of the person you are addressing. Yes either is "nice" but isn't it more appropriate?
    I think you've been bitten by the PC bug. I think either one is perfectly appropriate.
  • Options
    I hope you have a good Ramadan!

• Options
    How about I wish you a Merry Christmas and you can say Happy Holidays? Everyone in this country and world get so offended over such petty bullshit. I can care less about a Starbucks cup.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options

It's not Ramadan.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

It's not Ramadan.
    Yeah but when it gets here I hope you have a good one...along with all of the other holidays that you don't celebrate.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,665

If I moved to a country that is historically Muslim I would not be offended by this and ask them to change their culture to fit mine. That is what we are asked though to do in the USA and all we are doing is creating a fragmented society instead of a country with shared ideals.
  • Options

If I moved to a country that is historically Muslim I would not be offended by this and ask them to change their culture to fit mine. That is what we are asked though to do in the USA and all we are doing is creating a fragmented society instead of a country with shared ideals.
    You aren't asked to do anything. You are free to say whatever you want.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Damn Liberals taking Christ out of Christmas. We're being persecuted!!!! And Starbucks hates Jesus.

Trumps smart smart smart. Stealin votes from Carson. Ha.
    Post edited by callen on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,841
    The liberals have been taking Christ out of Xmas for years.
  • Options
    I am getting off topic, but I just do not understand how we want everyone to be the same. I believe that we are all equal, but are different and that is what makes life great. If we were all the same life would be so bland and boring. I appreciate that there are different view points that does not make someone else's point of view wrong compared to mine just they have different experiences that led them to their belief.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
This discussion has been closed.