Options

Eddie on Letterman Monday!

Comments

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

badbrains said:

Oh god, someone critisized pearl jam and Ed. The worlds gonna end.

still spinning where I am.

Lucky you
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629
    edited May 2015
    JV130312 said:

Letterman maybe requested that song? It's a possibility. Maybe that song had some meaning between Eddie and Dave? "Critics" really have no clue...none as to why that song was chosen.

If you didn't like it, don't watch it again...lol. Maybe stop watching the band altogether? If you liked it, watch it again. It's really that simple.

I'm not being an asshole. I'm reasonably discussing the performance. I find it hard to believe you really think thst people who didn't love it shouldn't say anything. I actually think that a discussion about Better Man as a tribute song is a really good discussion for hard core fans myself.

Anyway, it occured to me that maybe Dave requested the song, but then rejected the idea. What kind of person would request a song that is specifically meant as a tribute to himself? Like, "hey Eddie, can you play me better man? Because, you know, you can't find a better man the me, hee hee!" I just can't see that happening. I suppose it's possible, but I just doubt it. This seems more like a song Eddie chooses as a song tribute to someone himself. He also played it as a song tribute to Jon Tester at his fundraising concert.
    Post edited by Kat on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I'm betting Dave loved it. And that is what mattered to Eddie.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848
    edited May 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

JV130312 said:

Letterman maybe requested that song? It's a possibility. Maybe that song had some meaning between Eddie and Dave? "Critics" really have no clue...none as to why that song was chosen.

If you didn't like it, don't watch it again...lol. Maybe stop watching the band altogether? If you liked it, watch it again. It's really that simple.

I'm not being an asshole. I'm reasonably discussing the performance. I find it hard to believe you really think thst people who didn't love it shouldn't say anything. I actually think that a discussion about Better Man as a tribute song is a really good discussion for hard core fans myself.

Anyway, it occured to me that maybe Dave requested the song, but then rejected the idea. What kind of person would request a song that is specifically meant as a tribute to himself? Like, "hey Eddie, can you play me better man? Because, you know, you can't find a better man the me, hee hee!" I just can't see that happening. I suppose it's possible, but I just doubt it. This seems more like a song Eddie chooses as a song tribute to someone himself. He also played it as a song tribute to Jon Tester at his fundraising concert.
    it is just as possible that Dave just likes the song without thinking Ed playing it would make it about Dave.

Post edited by Kat on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,816

I'm betting Dave loved it. And that is what mattered to Eddie.

Exactly!

I thought it was Fantastic!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    Loved it! As far as the criticism in this thread, It doesn't bother me at all. I think as huge fans we can sometimes feel sensitive about TV appearances and such because we want PJ to be well represented to the masses. I thought he did a great job of bringing some real RnR. Wife and I both agree he looked fantastic. Nice suit, lookin' fit, and his face looks natural to us. PS- don't pick on people for the way they handle ageing. Its' not easy, especially when you are famous and people are so critical. Ed remains passionate, talented, charming, sincere, classy, raw, real and super cool.
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    I think people earlier in this thread mentioned that Dave has been on the record saying Betterman is his favorite PJ song. My Moms favorite PJ song is Release, if she could have PJ play a song for her it would be Release even though the subject matter doesn't have any meaning to her.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

PJ_Soul said:

JV130312 said:

it is just as possible that Dave just likes the song without thinking Ed playing it would make it about Dave.

Maybe. But my first assumption is not that Dave requested a song. That isn't how it usually goes, is it?

Not a huge deal really... it's just that even though I'm not a big fan of the song, I always really appreciated the reason behind it, given Eddie's very rare position as a vocal male feminist. I don't underestimate the power thst men like that can have. So i feel like all this joyful singalong stuff and using it as a tribute to people ruins a little something for me that actually mattered, so I can't help but focus on that. Whatever the circumstances last night, I'm a bit sad about what's become of the song.
    Post edited by Kat on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited May 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

JV130312 said:

Seriously PJsoul seems like you've been negative here lately and time for a break from the board.
    Post edited by Kat on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Just wTched clip and really enjoyed. Sure the band loved backing up Ed.

Ed did great job.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    callen said:

Seriously PJsoul seems like you've been negative here lately and time for a break from the board.

if not that, then definitely a time out !!!
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

JV130312 said:

Gee, thanks for your concern (would have loved to see what Kat had to edit out there).
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    "Can't find a betterTHREAD....."
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

JV130312 said:

"edited by kat". but this is exactly what I typed. ???

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    chadaw76chadaw76 Indianapolis Posts: 290
    pdalowsky said:

So just to recap the moronic bullshit here .....

Wierd hug, rough and weak voice, old, wierd timing, Botox, rusty .... And he rocked out too much

This place is hilarious, I think my favourite is the resident Botox expert.

Why not enjoy the performance and not feel the need to critique every fucking moment and detail. Truely pathetic here today.

Loved it. Ed absolutely has it still.

Thank you!
    2000: Noblesville, IN
    2010: Noblesville, IN
    2011: PJ20 Night 1
    2013: Wrigley Field, Baltimore
    2014: St. Louis
    2016: Lexington, Fenway I, Wrigley I, Temple of the Dog - NYC
    2017: EV solo - Louisville
    2018: Wrigley 1
    2022: St. Louis
    2023: Austin 1 & 2
    2024: Vegas 1, Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

JV130312 said:

I don't find pjsoul negative at all.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

JV130312 said:

Some people just try to be assholes for the sake of being an asshole. Good job...at least they're successful at something...right?

Maybe. But my first assumption is not that Dave requested a song. That isn't how it usually goes, is it?

Not a huge deal really... it's just that even though I'm not a big fan of the song, I always really appreciated the reason behind it, given Eddie's very rare position as a vocal male feminist. I don't underestimate the power thst men like that can have. So i feel like all this joyful singalong stuff and using it as a tribute to people ruins a little something for me that actually mattered, so I can't help but focus on that. Whatever the circumstances last night, I'm a bit sad about what's become of the song.
    I really don't know. I don't know how any of that type of stuff works. It was just mentioned a few times from folks who claim to be "in the know" that Dave requested it. that's what I was going with.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I Said you had a great point but Kat changed to you needing a break. HA.

I kid. Kat didn't do that.
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,360
    I'm totally guessing here, but maybe EV didn't want to play a true Pearl Jam song without the rest of the band with him. The song obviously became popular because of PJ, but the song is Ed's long before PJ.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    callen said:

I Said you had a great point but Kat changed to you needing a break. HA.

I kid. Kat didn't do that.

Okay, that was funny. ;)
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

JV130312 said:

Some people just try to be assholes for the sake of being an asshole. Good job...at least they're successful at something...right?

I really don't know. I don't know how any of that type of stuff works. It was just mentioned a few times from folks who claim to be "in the know" that Dave requested it. that's what I was going with.

Fair enough. Maybe it did go down like that.
    Really, this isn't a big deal... just bringing up my feelings about Better Man. I know most don't care, but it's an issue for me.
  • Options

callen said:

PJ_Soul said:

JV130312 said:

I don't find pjsoul negative at all.

Thanks man. I don't feel negative. Just being open and honest.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    I did not even KNOW about this til this morning.
    I liked it.
    try not to over-analyze things people.

As far as the forum -- the more things change.. the more they stay the same.

So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Awesome! Thanks for posting that!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Thank you for the links. :) I got to see the hugs now.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    I really expected to hear "can't find Letterman"
  • Options
    narnianarnia Posts: 635
    I couldn't stay up to watch Ed (had to get up at 5:30am) so I came here this morning to read everyone's comments before I watched the clip online. I can't believe how many people were negative about Ed's performance, I thought it was great! I thought he looked terrific too. I'm just so grateful any time I get to see Ed / PJ perform. I have no idea why people think he uses Botox. Maybe they're confused by the fact that people have to wear a lot of makeup for the tv cameras. In any case, whatever Ed decides to do to himself is HIS business. I was thrilled by his performance, makes me want to fly down to South America, LOL!
    I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • Options
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

JV130312 said:

What's with all the well thought out paragraph responses you two? Haha! Seriously, can't you condense yourselves down to a few sentences or words? : )
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    :lol: That would have been awesome ;) (I wonder what song was requested that Eddie said "used to know it, not going to happen" to?).