Options

Eddie on Letterman Monday!

Comments

• Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435

Suziemay said:

I like the Betterman/Letterman play on words. And the hugs at the end. Ed looked very dapper in his suit.

See page 2. I was way ahead of him on the play on words thing.
    See page 1. I was too. :)

When he was on Letter man for Ukeulele Songs 3-4 years ago, I joked on my Facebook that "Vedderman is on Letterman tonight, but probably not playing Betterman." Funny that he did now.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    That YT video looks like crap..
    If you want to see botox Eddie in full HD quality, go to the traders den, and download the 1080i .ts file from there.. you can view his botox-face much better this way, even better in a 55" TV..
    Definitely looks like botox to me, and from now on I will stop listening to PJ, they're a bunch a sellouts from letting Eddie botoxized himself.. Friends don't let friends get botox.
    I'm switching to Creed now. Goodbye folks.
  • Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917

Sure it sounded like a house band was playing with him (because it was), but I thought it was good. Ed was doing his best to make Dave proud and I think it was mission accomplished even if a little awkward at times.

The solo was fine at the end. You think the guy is going to watch Mike on Youtube to get it exactly right? Come on....

Just think when he plays Fallon for the last time he will have The Roots backing him up.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702

If you want to see botox Eddie in full HD quality, go to the traders den, and download the 1080i .ts file from there.. you can view his botox-face much better this way, even better in a 55" TV..
    Definitely looks like botox to me, and from now on I will stop listening to PJ, they're a bunch a sellouts from letting Eddie botoxized himself.. Friends don't let friends get botox.

Eddie's botox is better than Scott Stapp's botox

• Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    E.K said:

Scott who?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,761
    Should put 'em all in a band together and call it.... what else... Botox!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

E.K said:

Scott who?
    I think he used to sing for Creed .. Scott Crapp

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,956

I want this Late Show card!
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    demetrios said:

Looks like that guy had a botox injection.
  • Options

demetrios said:

Nah .. That old photo actually proves that Eddie hasn't had any botox. I noticed last night that the lines between his eyebrows are even deeper now.
  • Options

demetrios said:

I want his rookie card from when he played center field for the Botox Red Sox.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I enjoyed it. The beginning was awkward. The mixing seemed off and when the bass came in it sounded like the brown note from south park. But I'm conditioned to hearing the beginning played a certain way by a band who have been doing it almost 25 years.

The rest I thought was great for ev with a backup band doing betterman. Oh except for his guitar which seemed to be blowing strings
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I enjoyed it. The beginning was awkward. The mixing seemed off and when the bass came in it sounded like the brown note from south park. But I'm conditioned to hearing the beginning played a certain way by a band who have been doing it almost 25 years.

The rest I thought was great for ev with a backup band doing betterman. Oh except for his guitar which seemed to be blowing strings

Usually the thinner B or E strings break. That was weird how it looked like he broke one of the bigger strings. I wonder how that felt on his right hand? That's gotta hurt.

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Yeah. Looked like it may have been the low e or a.
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    TheGhost said:

Loved it! As far as the criticism in this thread, It doesn't bother me at all. I think as huge fans we can sometimes feel sensitive about TV appearances and such because we want PJ to be well represented to the masses. I thought he did a great job of bringing some real RnR. Wife and I both agree he looked fantastic. Nice suit, lookin' fit, and his face looks natural to us. PS- don't pick on people for the way they handle ageing. Its' not easy, especially when you are famous and people are so critical. Ed remains passionate, talented, charming, sincere, classy, raw, real and super cool.

As the person who brought up the first comment about Ed's age (I think), I would just like to clarify what I said. I said that it was weird to me because I had a hard to time recognizing the person I saw. I did suggest that he looked too old to be jumping around, but honestly, looking at the video a second time, I didn't see the same thing. He looked great in his suit, and in hindsight, I'm pretty sure it's that damned suit that threw me off :blush:

My initial comment was based on a first impression of a performance during a final favorite show that I've been watching longer than Pearl Jam's been around. My comment was most definitely more about my reaction than it was any kind of commentary or critique of Ed. Last night, I felt the same way about Tom Hanks's age. At one point, Dave's age. And then my own. Like, damn, I'm old. And all these old heroes are now going away, and it kind of got to me.

So, I've enjoyed reading the remainder of this shit storm, and I have to agree with people who say we all need to lighten up about everything. My using the word "old" did not have to create such a backlash. Instead of blasting me for my comment, it would have been nicer to the discussion if someone had just said, "Can you clarify that, whatdreams? What exactly do you mean?" We all know that on the interwebs, there is a whole other context that none of us know about. I feel like it's better to question than immediately indict someone.
  • Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    I was giving my wife a back rub as I watched the performance a couple times on the Dvr. When I was finished she commented on how it was the "best rub ever!." I replied " I know, Eddie got me really excited."
  • Options
    ItIsAllAboutPJItIsAllAboutPJ S.B., CA Posts: 829
    edited May 2015
    "The audience and Dave obviously loved it. I can't think of one other example where the entire crowd is on its feet at the BEGINNING of the song on Letterman ever. That says something about the vibe in the theater."
    I noticed this too.....I've watch Letterman from the beginning and never see the audience stand during a performance. It certainly showed a huge level of respect for Ed!!

I thought the performance was great and Ed looked very proud to be there for Dave's last week. It was a great honor and he treated it that way, much like when he performed for Springsteen at the Kennedy Center Honors. Hell, he even put on an amazing looking suit that was tailor fit for him!

I think the string break threw his mojo off a bit. His voice sounded fine, you could tell he was working hard to sing well and put on a great performance for a large national audience, but who wouldn't. I could have done without the spitting but he always does that, he must make a lot of saliva when singing. :)
    The hug was funny but had more to do with Dave than anything Ed did.

All and all.....it was a slam dunk!

Post edited by ItIsAllAboutPJ on
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,965
    could have played ''Leatherman" and changed some of the lyrics as well
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

TheGhost said:

Loved it! As far as the criticism in this thread, It doesn't bother me at all. I think as huge fans we can sometimes feel sensitive about TV appearances and such because we want PJ to be well represented to the masses. I thought he did a great job of bringing some real RnR. Wife and I both agree he looked fantastic. Nice suit, lookin' fit, and his face looks natural to us. PS- don't pick on people for the way they handle ageing. Its' not easy, especially when you are famous and people are so critical. Ed remains passionate, talented, charming, sincere, classy, raw, real and super cool.

As the person who brought up the first comment about Ed's age (I think), I would just like to clarify what I said. I said that it was weird to me because I had a hard to time recognizing the person I saw. I did suggest that he looked too old to be jumping around, but honestly, looking at the video a second time, I didn't see the same thing. He looked great in his suit, and in hindsight, I'm pretty sure it's that damned suit that threw me off :blush:

My initial comment was based on a first impression of a performance during a final favorite show that I've been watching longer than Pearl Jam's been around. My comment was most definitely more about my reaction than it was any kind of commentary or critique of Ed. Last night, I felt the same way about Tom Hanks's age. At one point, Dave's age. And then my own. Like, damn, I'm old. And all these old heroes are now going away, and it kind of got to me.

So, I've enjoyed reading the remainder of this shit storm, and I have to agree with people who say we all need to lighten up about everything. My using the word "old" did not have to create such a backlash. Instead of blasting me for my comment, it would have been nicer to the discussion if someone had just said, "Can you clarify that, whatdreams? What exactly do you mean?" We all know that on the interwebs, there is a whole other context that none of us know about. I feel like it's better to question than immediately indict someone.
    Compared to the official FB page its smo-o-o-o-o-th sailing here!

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,733
    demetrios said:

I've been enjoying all those pictures of guests from their first appearances.

I thought Eddie was great last night. And it actually served as a pretty great send-off for Paul and the CBS Orchestra.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    wgwg Posts: 411
    Re: Eddies string issues...

This man breaks way too many low strings. More than anyone I've ever seen. He needs to change string companies and/or smooth his bridge.

I will never use daddarios because they always unravel on me, and many others. Obviously, a little burr on the bridge can shred a string in minutes. Ed's tech needs to get to work.

Good to see him with the Tele (one of my dream guitars), but The last time I saw Ed play Better Man and break a string, he smashed it (his SG - Cincy)...
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:

demetrios said:

Fuckin' nutty thread. But I love this :clap:
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    OK, just caught the clip.

THIS is what some have commented negatively on? Art, and our own vision (or sight) are truly subjective.

You know how some films are overhyped and you walk away with a sense of disappointment because you expected more?

After reading much of the thread earlier, opposite here and thankfully so. I absolutely loved it. In fact, didn't even "watch" most of it, just listened.

And PJ_Soul, for what it's worth - while I have no idea about the choice of song on either end - I do hear you about its meaning, how it's been conveyed and interpreted.
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,080
    brianlux said:

LOL!! The guys on that team probably "cork their bats" too.

• Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,080

could have played ''Leatherman" and changed some of the lyrics as well

"He was on TV a long time ago, 1980s, Letterman....

.....Smile on his face, gap in his teeth.
    He's Letterman, Letterman, Letterman"
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,079
    brianlux said:

TheGhost said:

Compared to the official FB page its smo-o-o-o-o-th sailing here!

I'm so glad I've never been on facefuck.
  • Options
    narnianarnia Posts: 635

No one said he didn't support feminists... But he himself is definitely not one! Hahahahahaha

I think any man who writes songs like "Betterman" and "Nothing Man" can be considered a feminist.

I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • Options
    ceska said:

brianlux said:

LOL!! The guys on that team probably "cork their bats" too.

LOL!! This place is crazy. I love it!

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    I didn't think Eddie was great last night...but then I watched Dylan tonight...what the hell was that?
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Yeah, THAT was awkward.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self