Options

Eddie on Letterman Monday!

Comments

• Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Botox??? It's a Hollywood gig people..what did you expect to happen as he got older?? If true no biggy i could care less..Performance was decent.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    thought it was a good performance. started out a little rough but he sure wound it up. you really get to realize how great the guys in pearl jam are as musicians. i realize ed was not as familiar with paul and the band but still thought they pulled it off. nothing like background vocals from paul(not good). you really see what things are like without matt et al. ed really brought it last night. dave was really happy with his performance. there was awkward moment after but it's not like they go for coffee on a regular basis. you could see the mutual respect. it was a really big moment in television. 3rd last show for dave. pretty big honor for ed. would have rather seen him play with pearl jam but i still liked it. ed please don't leave pj any time soon, it would never be the same or as good. to be honest i am more sad to see dave go. been watching him since the beginning.
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,686
    Eddie did great. Why do some of u nit pick every damn little thing? It's strange.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,546
    edited May 2015
    Sure it sounded like a house band was playing with him (because it was), but I thought it was good. Ed was doing his best to make Dave proud and I think it was mission accomplished even if a little awkward at times.

The solo was fine at the end. You think the guy is going to watch Mike on Youtube to get it exactly right? Come on....
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    Loved the performance! My heart was pounding and I was trying to stay quiet to not wake up sleeping hubby. :smile: I thought Ed sounded great and looked like he was having fun. Loved the pick flick and the broken string! I felt like he was just being himself and was really comfortable until after the song when I agree he just wanted to escape as soon as possible like he usually does. I really enjoyed it. I'm REALLY longing for a tour now.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    I thought it was great. maybe not the best musically but Ed tore it up with passion and the band loved it. usually when you see bands play on TV it's kind of flat because the regular energy of a live show is not usually there but by the end of the song Ed sure as hell had the energy of how the song is played with PJ. Paul loved it too and even said it was 'phenominal' at the end.

as for the hug I think Ed was caught between saying something to Dave out loud for the TV and whispering something to him. You could tell Ed wanted to say something nice but was kind of awkward on when/how to deliver it.

Wasn't there a tiny 'tag' in the song about Dave too? was hard to hear but I thought at one point at the end I heard him say thanks Dave or something during the song.

whatever. to me was worth staying up until 12:37 for.
  • Options
    MattCam420MattCam420 Posts: 183
    Loved it! A great sendoff for Dave. "We love you Dave".
    "Music is the last true voice of the human spirit. It can go beyond language, beyond age, and beyond color straight to the mind and heart of all people." - Ben Harper
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    I thought it was great. Not sure where the botox comment came from....obviously not using that.

A few tempo issues but other than practice this is the first time they've played together right?

I am curious why this wasn't a Pearl Jam appearance....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144

I just stated he looks much younger in the face. Also just one botox treatment wouldnt cause u to have no facial expressions.

Now that's a strong return to the Porch, haahaha!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Loved the spit and the windmill. He cleans up nicely and I giggled about how teensy he is :giggle:

I too thought he sounded rough in the beginning, but he caught up. Maybe he needs to warm up his voice a bit by now :smile:

Yeah, and a tour would be awesome. We have nothing planned for fall yet, PJ :whistle:
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    I'm sorry, but a few of you need to get the fuck off. How much more sincere and awesome a performance do you need? That's our guy right there and he is still rocking the rock like nobody else.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/late_show/video/C9DDF858-EC6D-8A35-02DB-693984CA2E02/eddie-vedder-better-man-david-letterman/
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,686
    edited May 2015
    Here here
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    badbrains said:

Who the fuck cares that people are critiquing Ed or the band. Some of you seriously are fucken hilarious when anyone says anything bad or negative about the band. It's like you have to defend them at any means necessary. Lighten up Francis. (Stole that from someone)

because talking about Ed's looks is like TMZ type shit. critiqueing the performance is fine. talking about the guy's looks is juvenile.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    for a song I don't like much, I actually enjoyed it. Ed killed it. The CBS orchestra was fine. Paul's piano intro was a nice addition. the only thing I'm not a fan of is Ed's Townshend impersonation. it seems to be getting more and more frequent. but whatever, I'd prefer him being into it than not.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    I really enjoyed Eddie's performance a lot! I just wish there had been time at the end for Dave to talk to Ed for a bit. I fell asleep during Tom Hanks' appearance-lucky I woke up in time for Ed!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    pdalowsky said:

So just to recap the moronic bullshit here .....

Wierd hug, rough and weak voice, old, wierd timing, Botox, rusty .... And he rocked out too much

This place is hilarious, I think my favourite is the resident Botox expert.

Why not enjoy the performance and not feel the need to critique every fucking moment and detail. Truely pathetic here today.

Loved it. Ed absolutely has it still.

Paul, it's truly unbelievable. On fb someone was wondering about a nose job. Who has the time to wonder/critique Ed's nose for the love of God?!?
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Options
    IamTom said:

pdalowsky said:

Wierd hug, rough and weak voice, old, wierd timing, Botox, rusty .... And he rocked out too much

Why not enjoy the performance and not feel the need to critique every fucking moment and detail. Truely pathetic here today.

Paul, it's truly unbelievable. On fb someone was wondering about a nose job. Who has the time to wonder/critique Ed's nose for the love of God?!?
    a couple years ago I remember a short-lived thread about the state of Ed's hairline, and if it had been artificially altered, complete with "before and after" pictures.

not sure why anyone gives a flying fuck about this stuff.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    IamTom said:

pdalowsky said:

:rofl:

OMG.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

badbrains said:

Who the fuck cares that people are critiquing Ed or the band. Some of you seriously are fucken hilarious when anyone says anything bad or negative about the band. It's like you have to defend them at any means necessary. Lighten up Francis. (Stole that from someone)

because talking about Ed's looks is like TMZ type shit. critiqueing the performance is fine. talking about the guy's looks is juvenile.

Isn't there a thread about how hot Eddie is?
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,075
    The Botox comments are just fucking stupid. Clearly trying to get a rise out of people. Take that stupid shit somewhere else.

I really liked the performance. I'll take "feel" over a "polished" performance every time. They all looked like they were having a blast up there. A bunch of musicians unfamiliar with each other jamming an emotional song together on an emotional night. And Ed being Ed fucking rocking out, breaking a string, putting it all out there in his 3 minute tribute to Dave. I enjoy that shit every time.
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783

I'm sorry, but a few of you need to get the fuck off. How much more sincere and awesome a performance do you need? That's our guy right there and he is still rocking the rock like nobody else.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/late_show/video/C9DDF858-EC6D-8A35-02DB-693984CA2E02/eddie-vedder-better-man-david-letterman/

I could not have said it better. Seriously.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    badbrains said:

badbrains said:

it has always bothered me that a thread like that is allowed. it's hypocritical.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

The Botox comments are just fucking stupid. Clearly trying to get a rise out of people. Take that stupid shit somewhere else.

I really liked the performance. I'll take "feel" over a "polished" performance every time. They all looked like they were having a blast up there. A bunch of musicians unfamiliar with each other jamming an emotional song together on an emotional night. And Ed being Ed fucking rocking out, breaking a string, putting it all out there in his 3 minute tribute to Dave. I enjoy that shit every time.

feel over polished, 100 times out of 100. absolutely. well said.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717

I could not have said it better. Seriously.
    nicely

badbrains said:

BIngo on all accounts. But please don't disagree with the negativity here because that will apparently make you a 13 year old Bieber fan.
  • Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138

IamTom said:

pdalowsky said:

a couple years ago I remember a short-lived thread about the state of Ed's hairline, and if it had been artificially altered, complete with "before and after" pictures.

not sure why anyone gives a flying fuck about this stuff.

Authentically altered. With ageing.

I'm in an advanced state of authentic age altered hairline.

Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Options
    pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    badbrains said:

badbrains said:

Don't pretend you don't know about that thread. Hah! I don't know why people are talking about botox, but I'm glad some of the heat is off me!

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Great performance. A moment Dave and Paul will have forever. good on Ed.

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    I think one of Ed's buttons was loose on the white shirt he was wearing... Or maybe it just wasn't buttoned right. :confounded::get_outta_here:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited May 2015
    You people are crazy... He rocked it and had a great time visiting Dave. Good for them. Who the hell cares about the other bullshit. I guess if everyone age about 50 should still look like they did at age 25, I'm gonna be screwed in about 6 yrs...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    JUST A GIRLJUST A GIRL Posts: 372
    Lol at all the defenders! Can't let pj be "uncool" then their merch hoard won't be worth a thing!! Keep on defending!

And a post this long, and not one mention of this... The fans, and Eddie for a very long time have criticized people for not realizing betterman is actually a song about a woman in an abusive relationship. We've heard Eddie chastise people for wanting to propose during the song. We have torn apart noob fans who just don't grasp this and think the song is truly about "your man being the best and you can't frond a better man"

Yet... He plays this song as a tribute to someone - and uses the literal meaning (saying Dave is a good man, better man) and it goes 100% against everything that's been said in the past about this topic. That's far more hypocritical and discussion worthy than did Eddie get Botox.

For the record, look at some older Eddie photos and some new ones. There has been some work done, without a doubt. Does it matter? No. But the truth is the truth and these die hard defenders won't have a word of it. Pretty funny to me.

I'm still here because of pj, and the love of their music. But some of these comments are so out of touch with reality it's pathetic.