Options

Eddie on Letterman Monday!

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848

Lol at all the defenders! Can't let pj be "uncool" then their merch hoard won't be worth a thing!! Keep on defending!

And a post this long, and not one mention of this... The fans, and Eddie for a very long time have criticized people for not realizing betterman is actually a song about a woman in an abusive relationship. We've heard Eddie chastise people for wanting to propose during the song. We have torn apart noob fans who just don't grasp this and think the song is truly about "your man being the best and you can't frond a better man"

Yet... He plays this song as a tribute to someone - and uses the literal meaning (saying Dave is a good man, better man) and it goes 100% against everything that's been said in the past about this topic. That's far more hypocritical and discussion worthy than did Eddie get Botox.

For the record, look at some older Eddie photos and some new ones. There has been some work done, without a doubt. Does it matter? No. But the truth is the truth and these die hard defenders won't have a word of it. Pretty funny to me.

I'm still here because of pj, and the love of their music. But some of these comments are so out of touch with reality it's pathetic.

whether it is truth or not is not the point. the point is that it has been clearly stated numerous times that such topics are offside on the band's website.

but thanks for the "reality" check. LOL

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

Lol at all the defenders! Can't let pj be "uncool" then their merch hoard won't be worth a thing!! Keep on defending!

And a post this long, and not one mention of this... The fans, and Eddie for a very long time have criticized people for not realizing betterman is actually a song about a woman in an abusive relationship. We've heard Eddie chastise people for wanting to propose during the song. We have torn apart noob fans who just don't grasp this and think the song is truly about "your man being the best and you can't frond a better man"

Yet... He plays this song as a tribute to someone - and uses the literal meaning (saying Dave is a good man, better man) and it goes 100% against everything that's been said in the past about this topic. That's far more hypocritical and discussion worthy than did Eddie get Botox.

For the record, look at some older Eddie photos and some new ones. There has been some work done, without a doubt. Does it matter? No. But the truth is the truth and these die hard defenders won't have a word of it. Pretty funny to me.

I'm still here because of pj, and the love of their music. But some of these comments are so out of touch with reality it's pathetic.

Maybe it's Dave's favorite PJ song. Things don't always have to be so complicated.
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Guys. It was a performance of a song on a late night talk show.

And life goes on.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    pjman75pjman75 Indiana Posts: 836
    Thank you YLed2.
    I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.

8/17/98 Noblesville, 8/18/00 Noblesville, 6/5/03 San Diego, 6/22/03 Noblesville, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 5/7/10 Noblesville, 9/15/11 Hamilton, 11/21/12 Memphis (Ed w/ Glen), 7/19/13 Wrigley, 10/11/13 Pittsburgh, 10/01/14 Cincinnati, 10/03/14 Saint Louis, 4/16/16 Greenville, 4/26/16 Lexington, 5/1/16 NYC, 5/2/16 NYC, 8/20/16 Wrigley, 8/22/16 Wrigley (For Hank), 8/18/18 Wrigley, 8/20/18 Wrigley (For Hank), 9/18/22 Saint Louis, 9/5/23 Chicago, 9/7/23 Chicago
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

Just my opinion, and I'm probably right :)

At the beginning, neither Ed's nor the band's timing were "off", he improvised to mix it up. He does that a lot. Pretty much all musicians do it to songs they've been playing for 20 years.

He didn't look uncomfortable at all, he looked like he always looks on stage. Jumping around, having a good time. He fuckin killed it, that would've been a real treat to see live.

Honestly, reading some of the comments and the actual performance were like two completely different things for me. I was expecting to see a 50 year old, uncomfortable, botoxed rock star who couldn't keep time and sing his own material. Oh wait...that must be David Lee Roth :)

Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,272
    I liked the fact he sang the whole song :) I hadn't seen that in a while.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    How was Tom Hanks?
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    YLed2 said:

And life goes on.

excellent point.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JustaPJFanJustaPJFan Posts: 710
    I do like stars who just let themselves age. It's something natural and the fans really don't mind. If you look at Bono for instance, you can tell nothing has been done to his face. And I still think he is the same rocker he once was. Oh, and in before people say: WHY DO YOU BRING U2 UP YOU MORON? It was just a example of a star who just ages and I don't really mind that he does so, I even like it better. I wish I had another example but I don't..
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    I enjoy seeing Ed on TV and I liked the new arrangement with piano at the beginning.

I think Ed was trying his best (with the windmills and jump, etc.) to get as much energy as he could into the performance. Being backed by those guys probably had a lot less energy in it than PJ would have had but I think he was trying to lift them up into a higher energy level with his own effort.

(That's what it looked like to me anyway.)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    YLed2 said:

And life goes on.

This.

LOL. I thought it was great.

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    edited May 2015

Honestly, reading some of the comments and the actual performance were like two completely different things for me. I was expecting to see a 50 year old, uncomfortable, botoxed rock star who couldn't keep time and sing his own material. Oh wait...that must be David Lee Roth :)

Now that's funny! :rofl:
    Post edited by OMGkatwoman on
  • Options
    dmaradona10dmaradona10 Posts: 897
    My initial thoughts were that he tore the roof off the Ed Sullivan theater. I thought it was a great performance.
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,461

My initial thoughts were that he tore the roof off the Ed Sullivan theater. I thought it was a great performance.

That's exactly what I thought.

So many times I've seen a performance by the band and then come here and I see a lot of nitpicking comments like "Ed's voice was off he smokes too much" or "Stone's guitar was not tuned correctly." I'm not a musician and I never notice stuff like that and really I'm thankful that I don't pick up on all the nonsense people point out after the fact. I would hate it if I couldn't enjoy a performance because Matt was playing too fast or Jeff was playing the bass upside down and backwards.

I guess people have the right to offer their opinion here but most of the time it comes off as negative. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,816

No wonder hank wants to leave this place

I couldn't agree more.

Some of the folks on this board really need to take a step back, and take a few deep breaths.
    But to each their own.

I thought the performance was outstanding.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629
    edited May 2015
    I did not notice any botox (are you guys fucking serious???). I didn't analyze any hugs (but pretty much any consensual hug is okay in my books, lol). I didn't notice if Eddie had lost some weight or gained some weight, or whatever people are saying as they focus on the minutiae of the performance. I did notice that it wasn't a very good vocal performance, and that Eddie continues to use a song that is quite explicitly about domestic abuse as a tribute for men he's trying to compliment, which continues to really bug me. Yeah, song meanings can change for people, blah blah. Yeah, just like he did with Alive, blah blah. It still doesn't work for me, and i think it disrespects the reason he wrote the song in the first place. I personally wish he didn't do that. Man of the Hour would have been infinitely more appropriate.
    But whatever. You win some, you lose some. It was just one song. And i liked the rocking out. I think that was just EV being himself.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    on2legs said:

That's exactly what I thought.

So many times I've seen a performance by the band and then come here and I see a lot of nitpicking comments like "Ed's voice was off he smokes too much" or "Stone's guitar was not tuned correctly." I'm not a musician and I never notice stuff like that and really I'm thankful that I don't pick up on all the nonsense people point out after the fact. I would hate it if I couldn't enjoy a performance because Matt was playing too fast or Jeff was playing the bass upside down and backwards.

I guess people have the right to offer their opinion here but most of the time it comes off as negative. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
    I am a musician, and this also drives me insane. a good reason why I don't go to shows with another musician friend of mine. after the RHCP show, I was on my usual post-concert high, and he brought me down hard saying "eh, I've seen better....the drums sounded too tinny". WTF? I feel sorry for people like that.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Oh god, someone critisized pearl jam and Ed. The worlds gonna end.
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,693
    I've had my balls lifted. If anyone cares.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Personal comments/personal speculation not ok...not at other members or band members. Did you like the song? Did you like the show? Did you wish it was an alternate song? Thanks all.
    My dvr clipped off the end...looking for a link...lol
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    badbrains said:

still spinning where I am.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ^^^ Yeah, the show was great, but would have wished he sang Black instead.
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    badbrains said:

and the Rags lost
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Yeah, the show was great, but would have wished he sang Black instead.
    Kat said:

Personal comments/personal speculation not ok...not at other members or band members. Did you like the song? Did you like the show? Did you wish it was an alternate song? Thanks all.

• Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,438
    I couldn't watch it. I was still standing in-line for a $11.50 Bud Light at the Rosemont Theater.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,415
    edited May 2015
    Letterman maybe requested that song? It's a possibility. Maybe that song had some meaning between Eddie and Dave? "Critics" really have no clue...none as to why that song was chosen.

If you didn't like it, don't watch it again...lol. Maybe stop watching the band altogether? If you liked it, watch it again. It's really that simple.

Post edited by Kat on
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

badbrains said:

and the Rags lost
    That was embarrassing
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Kat said:

Oh no! I hope that didn't happen to mine. Here's a link, @Kat http://www.cbs.com/shows/late_show/video/C9DDF858-EC6D-8A35-02DB-693984CA2E02/eddie-vedder-better-man-david-letterman/
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    just wish the rest of the PJ group was there.......