Options

Eddie on Letterman Monday!

Comments

• Options
    wgwg Posts: 411
    I thought Dylan sounded pretty good (I mean, have you seen the old man in the past decade?), but it was his lost demeanor that was hard to watch.

It's tough watching people you respect visually decline in health.

May I suggest Botox? ;)
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    wg said:

I thought Dylan sounded pretty good (I mean, have you seen the old man in the past decade?), but it was his lost demeanor that was hard to watch.

It's tough watching people you respect visually decline in health.

May I suggest Botox? ;)

He's going on 74!

Your last comment made me smile though.

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I heard Dylan stood on his hands and Dave hugged his groin.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

I heard Dylan stood on his hands and Dave hugged his groin.

Haha, this thread is all over the place
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    seems to me that the last number of musical guests on daves show not all but a number of them played what dave wanted. they played things from the first time they were on the show etc. some like tom waits played a more tribute song. so who knows what the intentions were but the point is dave really liked it and eddie really brought it. i was watching it with my wife and just commenting eddie's still got it.
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    dylan last night was good in comparison to what i had seen not too long ago. at least he wasn't in a unlistenable raspy growl going through the motions. yes i know the comments about his voice but i'm talking pathetic.
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    Considering how much of a recluse Dylan is, I was moved by his performance and tears at that both him and Dave had at the end of the song. Eddie really rocked it Monday on a happier note.
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,856
    Watched Ed's performance for the first time last night on DVR w/ my kids. He looked great, sounded great and offered a genuine tribute and sendoff for Dave. Was proud to watch our front man blast one last time in the Ed Sullivan Theater.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,111

No one said he didn't support feminists... But he himself is definitely not one! Hahahahahaha

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    "Foo Fighters, David Letterman's favorite band, will serve as the final musical guest when the late-night host bids farewell to Late Show on Wednesday night."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/foo-fighters-to-serve-as-lettermans-final-musical-guest-20150520
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

"Foo Fighters, David Letterman's favorite band, will serve as the final musical guest when the late-night host bids farewell to Late Show on Wednesday night."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/foo-fighters-to-serve-as-lettermans-final-musical-guest-20150520

Wow, what a final week on Letterman !
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594
    Thought Dylan sounded great compared to the last few times I've seen him. The walking around was sort of strange.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

Thought Dylan sounded great compared to the last few times I've seen him. The walking around was sort of strange.

I was under the impression that he was doing that to try to keep it together emotionally wise to get to the end of the perfomance.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,631
    edited May 2015
    narnia said:

No one said he didn't support feminists... But he himself is definitely not one! Hahahahahaha

I think any man who writes songs like "Betterman" and "Nothing Man" can be considered a feminist.

He also fought for the right to choose, spoke out against violence towards women with real passion... The man worked with Gloria Steinem for crying out loud. Of course he's a feminist... or at least WAS a feminist.
    FWIW, I think ImEddieVedder is just trolling here.... unless, do you think a man can't be a feminist??? If so, you're 100% mistaken.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,761
    Nice to see better support for Dylan here than on the other Letterman thread! Yes, it was a bit strange the way he moved around the stage but Bob is a strange man- nothing new or wrong with that. I thought he did a great job considering his age and wear and wear an tear over so many years. Also, Dylan wouldn't have done this show for just anyone- I get the impression he's not big into these kinds of gigs. And as always, his band is impeccable.

Also agree that the show had too many commercials but that's one of the reason I rarely watch TV any more.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I'm not familiar with Dylan. Was that an old song? I'd never heard it.
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    It was a Sinatra song. He released an album of standards earlier this year, it was off that.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    edited May 2015
    I thought Dylan was awful. But at the same time, that's the best I've ever heard him sing in the last 30 years. You could understand every word. I didn't know he was still capable of that. Kind of cheesy to do a cover after you're introduced as the best songwriter of modern times. Didn't know what to expect but...

Fun Fact: I think the first time I ever heard Like a Rolling Stone was on Letterman's NBC 10th anniversary special. Couldn't understand a damn thing. Still have that special on VHS somewhere.
    Post edited by High Fidelity 2000 on
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    Just saw the Dylan performance. Never seen him perform so I don't really have an opinion one way or another, but it was clear that he was very uncomfortable which leads me to believe that it was a great gesture on his part to do the show and give Letterman a sendoff. Very cool.

I know Foo Fighters are gonna blow th roof off, fitting choice for the final show.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    I thought Dylan was fine! He sang an appropriate song and he sang it with a recognizable melody. The walking was just something to do while the instrumental break was going on. Musicians move almost as a way of conducting tempo, etc., in a subtle way. It's no big deal. (He's probably feeling too old to dance to at time like that.)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,111
    They should have projected the monatge behind Foo Fighters or cut back to the band from time to time. Now that peromance felt just... weird... why even show them at all?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,956
    Pearl Jam @PearlJam
    #ThanksDave

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Thanks, Dave. Man, I'm going to miss that show.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    edited May 2015
    I think it would have been nicer to the Foo Fighters if they'd shown them now and then instead of just using them as background music for the photos! They dressed up to be seen.

I like this photo of Ed. -->

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    justam said:

I thought Dylan was fine! He sang an appropriate song and he sang it with a recognizable melody. The walking was just something to do while the instrumental break was going on. Musicians move almost as a way of conducting tempo, etc., in a subtle way. It's no big deal. (He's probably feeling too old to dance to at time like that.)

Just saw Dylan in concert a couple weeks ago.
    he normally moves around during the solos. over to the drum riser and back to the mike.
    it just looked strange on TV. in person, it looks pretty cool as he is giving the band a chance to receive recognition.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    justam said:

I think it would have been nicer to the Foo Fighters if they'd shown them now and then instead of just using them as background music for the photos! They dressed up to be seen.

Oh man, I just saw this. Yeah, kinda silly not to show them! I enjoyed the few seconds of the band bouncing around in unison. They sounded great though.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    justam said:

I like this photo of Ed. -->

It's a nice happy pic of ed
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,733

They should have projected the monatge behind Foo Fighters or cut back to the band from time to time. Now that peromance felt just... weird... why even show them at all?

It was fine as it was. No need to cut to the band at all.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    demetrios said:

Pearl Jam @PearlJam
    #ThanksDave

Ed looks great !