Meanwhile back in Israel

Comments

• badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Thanks for posting Mickey, great read. Lots of info. No surprise Israel sees this as a one sided. Guess they now know how the Palestinians feel whenever the U.S. Talks or supports Israel. One sided
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    mickeyrat said:
    I hope this doesn't cause another assault. Anything to give a reason for more killings. I still ant understand how Israel says they're not occupying gaza yet won't even let anyone in? How is that even possible. Seriously, are they above the law? Rhetorical question.
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    I'm curious to see what people think about this interview between Jeffrey Goldberg of the Atlantic, and Yair Lapid, of Netanyahu's opposition. There are parts of this I agree with, and parts of this I disagree with. Overall, I think it would be a hugely refreshing shift from Netanyahu's government if Lapid was in office. Things could even conceivably change.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/06/Israel-Yair-Lapid-Palestinians-Iran/396803/
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    badbrains said:

mickeyrat said:
    I hope this doesn't cause another assault. Anything to give a reason for more killings. I still ant understand how Israel says they're not occupying gaza yet won't even let anyone in? How is that even possible. Seriously, are they above the law? Rhetorical question.
    as I understood one member of the knesset will be aboard one of the boats.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

edited July 2015
    Amnesty International report says war crimes by Israel in 2014

mickeyrat said:

Shocker.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:

mickeyrat said:

Shocker.
    And to be clear it says violations were on both sides. But the focus was on IDF. At least as reported in this article

mickeyrat said:

benjs said:

mickeyrat said:

Shocker.
    And to be clear it says violations were on both sides. But the focus was on IDF. At least as reported in this article
    The UN condemns Israeli actions each and every year (and to a lesser degree, the response of the Palestinians), and it's no different with Amnesty International. Until there's a scenario where investigators are composed of a consortium of Israelis and Palestinians, there will always be one side who cries foul, and there will never be conclusions drawn that amount to actionable decisions. Unfortunately for Israel, since Israel is the one unwilling to allow such a consortium (often not even allowing access to the Palestinian territories), Israel is doomed to be the distrusted one (and rightly so).

Something that has remained consistent is the status quo: the status quo helps Israeli leadership sell isolationism based on fear and paranoia, helps Israeli leadership maintain Jewish superiority in the region, and convinces its Jewish majority populace to encourage the "us vs. them" mentality. The Israelis elects their government, their government perpetuates the status quo, the status quo increases the paranoia to the point where its people (with their fear of an existential threat) prolongs the stay of a government who perpetuates the status quo, and answers to the will of its people: its people who, once again, elect the government who feels the way they do.

It's all cyclical, and the only place it breaks is if the government can't accommodate the people's demands of well-being in the region (i.e. boycotts, divestments and sanctions), or if the people can avert the hypnosis of a swinging pendulum in the shape of a gun pointed at an Arab holding a gun pointed at them.

So, I hope that this Amnesty report sways the hearts and minds of some Israelis, or businesspeople who might now refrain from doing business with Israelis. Otherwise, this condemnation, along with all from the UN, is a useless one at best, and at worst (as seen by some Israelis, undoubtedly), an attack on justice and a dangerous tactic which actually encourages the divide and reinforces an "unjust" reality. Israelis really do live very paranoid existences - just hang around any Israeli news site and you'll witness it first-hand.

EV
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Norm Finkelstein has been running a series titled "Has Amnesty Lost Its Way?...A forensic analysis of Amnesty's reports on Operation Protective Edge, on his fb page if anyone is interested. Haven't read it yet, myself.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    mickeyrat said:

i think all of us have been saying that as those events were happening.

do i think anything will come of it? not a chance.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    This is terrible

Palestinian baby burned to death in settler attack

Two homes set ablaze in Duma village in occupied West Bank, with graffiti left on the walls reading "revenge" in Hebrew.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/07/palestinian-baby-burned-death-extremist-attack-150731035331224.html
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    ya, sickening. Almost more sickening are the comments under that article.

ya, sickening. Almost more sickening are the comments under that article.

Which is unfortunately par for the course when it comes to anything in favour of right-wing Israel. I couldn't believe yesterday's comments in the Jerusalem Post in response to the stabbing of six people done by an ex-convict the Jerusalem Gay Pride parade. What was he convicted for the first time? The same thing, ten years ago. The comments ranged from "why do they need to be so vocal about the fact that they're gay anyways" to "good - being gay is a perversion". Disgusting. And they have the audacity to refer to others in the Middle East as primitive barbarians.

EV
    edited July 2015
    This was in response to israeli high court ordering demolition of illegal settler buildings in west bank.

More will die. Further isolation will come unless bibi does what is right and just. This longstanding tacit approval via nonaction must end.

edited August 2015
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

mickeyrat said:

This was in response to israeli high court ordering demolition of illegal settler buildings in west bank.

More will die. Further isolation will come unless bibi does what is right and just. This longstanding tacit approval via nonaction must end.

we all know damn good and well that bibi is going to do what best serves him, and that is absolutely nothing.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

edited August 2015
    It needs noted that while condemning this act the government approved 804 units to be built in Biet Eli and Jerusalem.

So really this terrorism is rewarded. As usual.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

mickeyrat said:

It needs noted that while condemning this act the government approved 804 units to be built in Biet Eli and Jerusalem.

So really this terrorism is rewarded. As usual.

settlements will continue to expand under bibi. he will condemn these attacks out of one side of his mouth while giving approval through settlement expansion.

these people would rather iran nuke israel than allow peaceful coexistence with a palestinian state.

any updates on the protest in london today?

scuffles is all outside of 10 Downing. Lame shit spoken related to his visit and not arresting him. Proportional response last year yada yada yada.

Its hard not wantng him taken OUT.