Options

Meanwhile back in Israel

Comments

• Options

this is an image taken from the northern gaza strip on 8/12/14.

One bomb could have done this.
    No rebar in the block(cinder block). None of the block is grout filled. Common in non-seismic areas and developing areas.

I've seen buildings reduced to just brick and dust with no reinforcing.
  • Options
    Isn't that rebar sticking out of the structure to the right?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556

Yes.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes.
    I'm glad you are all concrete experts, those are poured in place columns and slabs. The block has nothing in it. The guy standing on the blocks up close you can clearly see that the block wasn't "filled".

Look at the rubble below and notice there isn't much rebar at all.

Again, I've seen this a lot. PM me for pics of other places if you'd like along with my credentials of concrete...
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    I read somewhere that it was a billion bombs
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

No rebar in the block(cinder block). None of the block is grout filled. Common in non-seismic areas and developing areas.

One bomb eh? Are you also a demolition expert? Can I see those credentials too?

One bomb......oy vey.
  • Options
    dignin said:

One bomb......oy vey.
    PM me for them Hoss!
  • Options

dignin said:

One bomb......oy vey.
    PM me for them Hoss!
    ;)
  • Options
    dignin said:

One bomb......oy vey.
    Now I'm not trying to take away from the devastation.

Ever hear the term "brick and mortar"? Theres's not a mention of "rebar"?!? Engineering has a reason for that.

As for my "demolition" credentials… Doing steel fabrication and modular concrete for 15 years, having ACI credentials and PCI credentials should have some merit on this, but you clearly know more than I do...
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Yes.
    I'm glad you are all concrete experts, those are poured in place columns and slabs. The block has nothing in it. The guy standing on the blocks up close you can clearly see that the block wasn't "filled".

Again, I've seen this a lot. PM me for pics of other places if you'd like along with my credentials of concrete...
    Are you sure those weren't stacked after the fact? Looks like it to me. That's not the remainder of a wall or partition if that is what you are suggesting.

Come on, man... that place is a wasteland.
  • Options
    So not to confuse with the Private Investigator

https://www.pci.org

And this...

https://www.concrete.org

I'm not going to post my credentials so PM me for them.
  • Options

dignin said:

One bomb......oy vey.

Ever hear the term "brick and mortar"? Theres's not a mention of "rebar"?!? Engineering has a reason for that.

As for my "demolition" credentials… Doing steel fabrication and modular concrete for 15 years, having ACI credentials and PCI credentials should have some merit on this, but you clearly know more than I do...
    I have over 18 years experience in construction. Mostly in steel....I'm a welder. I have a binder full of tickets.....so what? I have no experience in bombs or a war zone.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Yes.

Are you sure those weren't stacked after the fact? Looks like it to me. That's not the remainder of a wall or partition if that is what you are suggesting.

Come on, man... that place is a wasteland.
    Yes, correct. They were placed "after the fact" but if they were properly reinforced, filled in, rebar inside, they wouldn't be reusable. Simple fact that most "demolition" goes to the dump.

Look across the street. There is a "floor" of concrete. That's a floor but it was once a ceiling for someone else. It clearly came down.

Now notice that there isn't one piece of rebar coming up out of it?!? So the "floor" or slab was reinforced and nothing else. Poured in place concrete.

Buildings crumble in areas like this because of lack of seismic activity engineering.

If there isn't any seismic activity then no reinforcing is needed…
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Also, we know from the summer of 2014 that more than one bomb dropped on Gaza....so there is also that.
  • Options
    dignin said:

dignin said:

One bomb......oy vey.

I have over 18 years experience in construction. Mostly in steel....I'm a welder. I have a binder full of tickets.....so what? I have no experience in bombs or a war zone.
    Fair question!

So you know how to "do" the procedure of welding, smaw, gmaw, Multi position welding, fire watch, "fire wrench" , and know what a 00 and 01 torch tip is?

All that being said you can tell me what was "welded" in those pictures?!?
  • Options
    Forgot to mention that I've been in the war zones...
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,805
    badbrains said:

badbrains said:

I'm just telling you what I read. Had the breakdown. You think it's impossible but when you fly 24/7 for 50 days straight, it's possible

I understand what you read.
    A million bombs dropped on the gaza strip?
    That is quite the feat.
    You're prob imagining these big ass bombs dropping on gaza but they used new, smaller bombs that they dropped on infrastructures as well as homes. But I also could've read it wrong as they dropped 1,000,000 pounds of bombs? But I could've sworn it said bombs.
    large scale accounting is in pounds usually. think of ww2 reporting etc. that stilll some weight.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    not to far at all. using the tonne weight, thats 400 X 2204.6 lbs. = 881,840 lbs. That was reported on July 9th. well before they stopped til next time.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    edited October 2015
    Developing nations are notorious for inconsistent quality concrete and cement (as I witnessed awestruck with two other structural engineers while overlooking a Four Seasons being constructed in Kathmandu). Due to the difficulty of getting rebar into Gaza, I could see shortages forcing the use of reclaimed (and thus weakened) rebar. I'd assume a structure like this is relying on walls for lateral strength (weakened by grout-free, unreinforced and unfilled masonry), and gravity loads would be on the columns (weakened by reclaimed rebar and poor quality concrete and casting). In addition, construction projects such as these are not likely to have redundancy load paths in place, so you apply a massive eccentric load like a bomb's explosion near a side of the house, and it's very easy to see how the whole thing could go down.

I'd trust tempo to elaborate more as I pivoted my career after less than a year as a structural engineer, but I attended one of two universities in Canada that actually offer certifications in masonry and our program was reportedly greatly subsidized by Canada's concrete lobby.

Edit: Just to be clear, I really couldn't care less how many bombs did this. One bomb or ten thousand - it's too many when they affect the lives of innocents.
    Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Tempo's assertion about building integrity is valid. I think how it was presented took away from it- that's not one bomb's work.

I am willing to accept Tempo's experience as he has expressed it.
  • Options

Forgot to mention that I've been in the war zones...

You got me man. You're an expert in concrete, explosives and war zones. Probably an expert welder too (you left out TIG by the way) I'm a true believer, one bomb leveled that whole block. The bombing of Gaza in the summer of 2014 was a single bomb. Why is everyone getting so worked up over one bomb? Maybe Israel dropped it by accident.....because it was only one bomb after all. Why don't they just apologize for that one bomb and everyone can move on.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,168
    please let's not forget that most quality building materials, concrete, metal bars/rebar, and cement and gravel were banned and not allowed in to gaza under the israeli embargo that was partially lifted in 2012 after israel bombed the shit out of gaza again...

this is one reason most buildings in gaza are less than 8 or 10 stories.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4326887,00.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/22/gaza-uninhabitable-blockade-united-nations
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,168
    dignin said:

dignin said:

One bomb......oy vey.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    sucks to have to wonder what his ulterior motive is......
    He has barred jewish politicians from the commpound.
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/10/al-aqsa-israel-netanyahu-151008002159660.html

• Options

dignin said:

dignin said:

One bomb......oy vey.

Haha.....I was wondering if that might come up. Good catch.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    BS44325 said:

I read somewhere that it was a billion bombs

I'm honored you came out of hibernation just for me. Guess those checks must be coming in again.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited October 2015

PJ_Soul said:

Yes.

I concur.I also know my concrete and applied mixtures and building construction standards.1 bomb or 100s.Some of these structures were coming down just based on how they were constructed.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yes.

I concur.I also know my concrete.
    You freakin' concrete guys.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Also most the buildings in the picture seem to be roughly the same common design with just the tie beams,floors and support columns being solid.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Also most the buildings in the picture seem to be roughly the same common design with just the tie beams,floors and support columns being solid.

You think that was the work of one bomb?