Meanwhile back in Israel

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    "Organized Hate"... That about sums it up. Terrible!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Fken Iranians calling for Israel's extermi............. OH WAIT HOLD ON

Ohhhh it's the other "good" side citizens with this message.

Okay their religion is closer to mine and I hate all them rag heads as well.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    callen said:

Fken Iranians calling for Israel's extermi............. OH WAIT HOLD ON

Ohhhh it's the other "good" side citizens with this message.

Okay their religion is closer to mine and I hate all them rag heads as well.

Hahaha
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,924
    BS44325 said:
    And a friend of mine in Israel told me she had a delicious falafel today. So what?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    benjs said:

BS44325 said:
    And a friend of mine in Israel told me she had a delicious falafel today. So what?
    This thread is called "Meanwhile back in Israel." I'm giving people an update.
    BS44325 said:

benjs said:

BS44325 said:
    Fair enough - guess both our posts had a place here then, carry on :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:

BS44325 said:

benjs said:

BS44325 said:
    I like Apple products and Falafel
    BS44325 said:

benjs said:

BS44325 said:

benjs said:

BS44325 said:
    I like Apple products and Falafel
    So do I. Regrettably, I don't like Israeli actions (where both Apple products and falafels are optimized) so much. Makes it difficult with a Zionist parent, as well as a Zionist girlfriend who works for UJA (who'd have thunk).

EV
  • yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,582
    I'm a Zionist AND I don't like many Israeli actions. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

In other news, given some of the past discussions on this forum regarding BDS, anti-Zionism, and anti-Semitism, I thought this might be an interesting read.

South African Student Body President: “I Love Adolf Hitler”

Line between anti-Israel activism and anti-Semitism thins in Johannesburg
    By Yair Rosenberg | May 1, 2015 1:45 PM

As a general rule, if a person doesn’t want his or her own anti-Israel activism confused for anti-Semitism, it’s best not to say things like, “I love Adolf Hitler.” And in the unfortunate event that one lets slip such an admission, it’s definitely not advisable to defend it in an 800-word statement. And yet, this is exactly what Mcebo Dlamini, a strident Israel boycott advocate, and student body president of one of South Africa’s oldest universities, did this past week.

Dlamini, the elected student leader of Wits University in Johannesburg, made the offending comment on Facebook “below a graphic comparing modern Israel to Nazi Germany,” reported the student newspaper, The Wits Vuvuzela. (Dlamini did not explain why, if Hitler was such an admirable statesman, Israel should be condemned for following his example.) When challenged by the paper on his remarks, Dlamini did not back down.

“What I love about Hitler is his charisma and his capabilities to organize people,” he said. “We need more leaders of such caliber. I love Adolf Hitler.”

Hitler, the paper laconically noted by way of response, “is generally blamed for triggering World War II and sending over 6-million Jews to death camps as well as Roma, communists and homosexuals.”

Dlamini, however, was undeterred. “I have researched about president Adolf Hitler. I have read books about president Adolf Hitler. I have watched documentaries about president Adolf Hitler,” he insisted. And upon hearing that the university’s vice chancellor had condemned his comments and opened a disciplinary investigation, Dlamini released an 800-word statement, effectively doubling down.

It’s tempting to view this as an isolated incident involving one particularly troubled young man. But this is not the case. Across South Africa, activists aligned with the country’s radical Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement against Israel have repeatedly been unmasked as anti-Semitic. Just this past February, the student council of the Durban University of Technology called for Jewish students to be expelled, telling a local paper, “We took the decision that Jewish students, especially those who do not support the Palestinian struggle, should deregister.” And in March, anti-Israel demonstrators, led by officials from the country’s ruling ANC party, were caught on camera threatening to kill Jews and drive them out of the country.

In fact, activists associated with the Israel boycott movement have repeatedly conflated Israel with local Jews, harassed and threatened violence against those Jews, and given voice to classical anti-Semitic tropes, as I noted back in February:

In late July, Tony Ehrenreich, the leader of the Western Cape branch of the Congress of South African Trade Unions and the ANC’s former mayoral candidate in Cape Town, threatened to boycott the local Jewish community over the Gaza war, and called for them to leave the country if they would not renounce Israel. “If the Jewish Board of Deputies wants to advance a Zionist agenda, they should leave South Africa and go advance their agenda elsewhere,” Ehrenreich wrote. “The Jewish Board of Deputies must be advised in no uncertain terms that if they are not part of the solution then they are part of the problem.” He ended with an ultimatum: “The Jewish Board of Deputies are given until the 07 August 2014 to stop their Zionist propaganda in Cape Town, failing which we will boycott and call strikes at all of their member – and supporting companies and organisations.”

Two weeks later, Ehrenreich added some incitement to violence to his bigoted blaming of South Africa’s Jews for alleged Israeli actions, writing on Facebook, “The time has come to say very clearly that if a woman or child is killed in Gaza, then the Jewish board of deputies, who are complicit, will feel the wrath of the People of SA with the age old biblical teaching of an eye for an eye.”

These are not outliers–they are the words and actions of prominent officials and organizations in the vanguard of South Africa’s BDS movement. These are the same boycott activists that last month hosted Leila Khaled–who hijacked TWA and El Al planes as a member of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine–and who in October placed a pig’s head in the kosher section of a Cape Town supermarket. Under the guise of attacking Israel, these activists have repeatedly assailed their country’s Jews.

As this escalating abuse emanates from the BDS movement’s allies and activists, the question now becomes: will the organization’s international leadership condemn it? Or are prejudices only worth fighting when they can be blamed on Jews–but not when they target them?
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,292
    Meanwhile settlements are expanding......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    And Palestinians are being murdered
    Also a ton of good bands going to play there

http://www.touristisrael.com/events/israel-concerts/

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    benjs said:

BS44325 said:
    I do like falafel but loves me some good old fashioned Israeli schwarma

benjs said:

BS44325 said:
    I do like falafel but loves me some good old fashioned Israeli schwarma
    Had some bangen shawarma in Syria
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Can I say they are a bunch of thugs or will I be deemed a racist?
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on

Who are the thugs?
    Yosi, the big issue addressed at the bottom refers to ideologists applying (and where convenient ignoring) ideologies selectively based on predispositions against certain sects.

Unfortunately, in the case of Jews, it seems complicated to me. With Israel's Prime Minister calling on Jews to "come home" when troubles are found abroad, the distinction between Zionist and Jew is bound to be blurred more and more every day.

The perceived indifference of Israelis or Israeli supporters in regards to the plight of the Palestinian people, in conjunction with Netanyahu's efforts to equate Zionists and Jews, ensure that anti-Jewish sentiment in the diaspora will only rise - and empathy towards victimized Jews when the sentiment amounts to violence or criticism will continue to diminish (just as being an anti-Apartheid white South African must have been difficult in the era of Apartheid).

If only the Jewish lobby had invested the time, money, and energy in fighting for global acceptance of the Jewish people, instead of contributing those to creating an isolated environment in a substantially culturally different region which involved the uprooting of a people to execute its vision, I suspect things would have been quite different. I can't think of anything more detrimental to the world's perception of Jews post WWII than the issues surrounding the Palestinian people - an issue which can't be separated from Israel's existence.

We can't change things retroactively. Being proactive, Jews need to be outspoken about how this level of discrimination won't be tolerated, all the while reinforcing to the world the difference between a Zionist and a Jew. I'm curious if a Muslim who was opposed to the Palestinian liberation movement would be treated any differently at all by the world than a Jew who's opposed to the same movement and broadcasts that in their unequivocal support of Israel and Israeli policy. You can say that you don't like Israeli actions, Yosi, but to support Israel implicitly supports the subjugation of a population - and that's where I believe a vast majority of today's discrimination to stem from.

EV
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,292
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    badbrains said:

Who are the thugs?
    It was a joke. Looked relatively peaceful, whatever they were doing. But, screaming death to Arabs in the street in mass isn't far off from thug behavior.

badbrains said:

Who are the thugs?
    It was a joke. Looked relatively peaceful, whatever they were doing. But, screaming death to Arabs in the street in mass isn't far off from thug behavior.
    That's a normal day there
    [Sigh]

yosi said:

[Sigh]

Is it normal for Israelis to gather in the streets shouting death to arabs?
    No, it's not normal, nor is it reflective of how most Israelis feel.

yosi said:

I know we differ a lot on this topic yosi, but it is good to see you back. I'm just saying.
    edited May 2015
    badbrains said:

yosi said:

I know we differ a lot on this topic yosi, but it is good to see you back. I'm just saying.
    Nart, this is something I agree with Yosi about. Don't forget, if air raid sirens, civil strife, and threats on your right to exist (coming from Iran's ayatollah) were commonplace in your country - regardless of how feasible it is that they would amount to any harm on you or your friends or family - you would be significantly more willing to listen to your elected leader when he tells you to be fearful, and tells you who your enemy is. This perpetuates a culture of fear, and as has been proven through religion, cults, governments, corporations, lobbies, friends and family - propaganda's impact is not limited to the stupid folks of society: it can affect all if handled well.

Also please remember that, just as the news can omit to clarify the distinction between a Muslim and an extremist who is a Muslim - the same can be said about Israelis.

Do I think there's a problem? 100%. Do I think it's amplified for effect? 100%.

EV
    My post was just to say it's nice to see yosi back.
    badbrains said:

My post was just to say it's nice to see yosi back.

Fair enough :)

Agree with you wholeheartedly about that.

EV