Options

Record Store Day Mystery Vinyl

Comments

• Options
    RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,586
    Another black PJ20 + Mother Love Bone 7" in Poland. I'm happy but already have it. So I'm open to trades,... Thank you 10C!!!
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

I do this really weird thing where I just buy the stuff I like and pass on the stuff I don't. Crazy, right?!

Blasphemy :dizzy:
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,915

Rare or not rare, I'm not like that. If I like something, I am bummed if I cannot get it because it is "rare". I did not get the backpack because I already have a cool one and did not jump for Sevens because it did not entice me enough. I am not jumping on EVERYTHING PJ and I think I have not regretted that yet. I saw somebody posting a picture of their two sealed Bennys on fb today and it makes me sad. There are tons of people who would love this album to spin it. And because it is "rare" there are people who hoard them for whatever reason. To each their own, yes. But why more than one? One of these two could make another music fan happy. And make a sealed vinyl enjoy the pleasures of being opened and put on the deck.

I agree. I don't understand why people would knowingly buy things they don't like just because they might be "rare" someday.It sucks that people have these "rare" records and just file them away when someone could be listening to them. Everyone can of course do what they want with their own stuff, but this seems more like the stock market than a fan forum. PJ Commodities, why play an album when you can keep it sealed and get rich!
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,318

I agree. I don't understand why people would knowingly buy things they don't like just because they might be "rare" someday.It sucks that people have these "rare" records and just file them away when someone could be listening to them. Everyone can of course do what they want with their own stuff, but this seems more like the stock market than a fan forum. PJ Commodities, why play an album when you can keep it sealed and get rich!

It's not like it's only PJ. Some people simply like to collect things. When I was a kid, sports trading cards were hugely popular. People were always buying packs (including me) wanting to find the rarest and most valuable cards. You've got other people that collection comic books, toys, etc.... While collectors do enjoy finding/owning things that are rare, how easy do you think it is to get actually them to part with said item :) I don't think it's such a bad thing for people to enjoy collecting PJ stuff. I understand the vinyl, and posters (well for shows you've been too, but I don't understand the sticker thing. It doesn't mean I can't appreciate that other people like stickers :)

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,728
    oh dear, what has started here?

Lets get back to the joy of these packages arriving....and quit second guessing others intentions
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    It is not a bad thing if people enjoy collecting stuff. Hobbies are nice. And I get the whole thing if people want the US press, the EU press, the Asian press blablabla But five times the very exact SAME item?
  • Options

It is not a bad thing if people enjoy collecting stuff. Hobbies are nice. And I get the whole thing if people want the US press, the EU press, the Asian press blablabla But five times the very exact SAME item?

nope that is bizarre to me too.

Personally don't feel that anyone needs more than one Benny. at very most two if they have that keep one open and one sealed mentality.

I think some people have cool numbers or the MM01 promo ones, and then want other numbers. But yes I don't get it really either
  • Options
    It would be a different thing if there was a regular version out there. This way, people could go nuts with the collector habit, but others still would not lose out on the music itself. Yes, you can listen to the CD or music file. But some people just love their music on vinyl :smile:
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,653

That is strange to me as well.
    Does someone really have 5 Bennys???
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,951
    When I was a kid I used to collect dead insects in a matchbox - I had to upgrade to a shoe box as I got older. Now I just go to graveyards and pretend that all those boxes are mine. Its not weird at all.

Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Spags said:

When I was a kid I used to collect dead insects in a matchbox - I had to upgrade to a shoe box as I got older. Now I just go to graveyards and pretend that all those boxes are mine. Its not weird at all.

brilliant
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,816
    If somebody wants to collect, or own, 5 Benny's? GOOD FOR HIM! Its his damn money. If he wants to SPEND his hard earned money collecting Benny's, that's his damned business.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

If somebody wants to collect, or own, 5 Benny's? GOOD FOR HIM! Its his damn money. If he wants to SPEND his hard earned money collecting Benny's, that's his damned business.

Pretty much.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Of course it is. But it's still weird.
  • Options

I'll give you that one. I like to collect but I'm a one of each kind of guy. I remember collecting the 7" singles and there were different pressings and versions in different countries. For the most part I was content with collecting the version I thought was the coolest and/or had the most tracks. There's a few I duped because of unique bsides on different releases. I don't have many duplicates in my collection (which makes trading impossible) so I don't get the 5 copies thing. I thought I was fairly OCD but I guess in life, there's always someone who's better at something that you are.
  • Options

Pretty much.
    And I give the guy with 5 Benny's credit.
    He certainly isn't "crying poor".
  • Options

I agree 100%. I just don't really understand the desire.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Yesterday, did you not say you purchase EVERYTHING Pearl Jam releases? Or did I read that wrong?
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    ^ lol
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

PJ_Soul said:

Yesterday, did you not say you purchase EVERYTHING Pearl Jam releases? Or did I read that wrong?
    Yeah, but I don't keep any of it if I don't want to play it, and what I do keep never ever stays sealed and unplayed. If I buy PJ vinyl that I don't want to play then I trade it for something I want to play (or frame) pretty quick. (I also said that I PLAN on buying everything PJ releases... it's a rule that I don't always follow though, which is how I know that I regret not buying all vinyl releases).

Not that it comes up very much. There aren't very many PJ vinyl releases that I don't want to play. But the ones I didn't want and did trade or give away are several red LBs, Sevens, and coke bottle Ten. These vinyl variations aren't worth keeping if I already have another version of it.
    I guess I don't even buy ALL of the vinyl. PJ, yes. But I have never bought any of Stone's side projects (but am considering Moonlander... I'm starting to like it).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    monkeewrenchmonkeewrench Posts: 946
    The craziest thing about having 5 Bennys is TELLING people you have 5 Bennys!

Ok, who's next? What'd your mailman bring you today?
  • Options
    RoelandRoeland Posts: 177
    Arrived today in Belgium. Got a LO10L and the 2003 Xmas Single. I only had the LO10L boxset so pretty satisfied to get something I didn't already have.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Someone who has 5 Bennies has gone from collector to hoarder and probably has other hoarding tendencies, too. But if it makes them happy and they have the cash, party on!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Same comments differ day
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    If I ever win the lottery I'm going to try and make a complete collection of all the Bennies :)
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    jeffbr said:

Someone who has 5 Bennies has gone from collector to hoarder and probably has other hoarding tendencies, too. But if it makes them happy and they have the cash, party on!

Exactly. The whole point about my stuff is that it's my stuff. I obtained it, through whatever means I felt merited making said stuff mine. With this, comes the right of doing whatever I want with it. The reality is, if you want to blame any entity for the fact that people have opted to hoard five of a rare item, because it's a rare item - blame the entity that artificially inflated the demand by limiting the supply. Collectors will collect, it's what they do.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    It really is just a matter of perspective among collectors for sure. There are all different kinds of collectors. One of the most common are the ones who are going to stock pile the most rare items they can find. I'm not surprised by this behaviour, nor does it bother me. I just don't personally relate to it.
    I think when collecting vinyl was newer to me, I had more trouble with this issue. I used to feel frustrated with flippers and rare item hoarders. But over the past few years I've come to realize it doesn't matter to me at all, and therefore there is no reason to criticize or judge, whether I understand the desire to do it or not.
  • Options
    Back to the original topic.

Mine just arrived (in Victoria, BC). Black RNDM and a No More 7" :(

I'm disappointed. I'm mostly disappointing in how Canada seemed to get the worst of the mystery sale. I think we as a country definitely lost out from them not randomizing the packages. It's crazy how few Canadian's got some thing decent (most Canadian's got recent xmas singles, at least I got a no more 7"). Maybe the 10c was watching the south park movie? :)

I entered knowing it was a lottery but I didn't enter it thinking it was a rigged lottery. If they had said hey were mailing the best stuff first and that some of the best stuff on the list won't make it out of the US, then maybe I wouldn't of blown 96 bucks on a RNDM... lo.

btw I'm not slighting RNDM or PJ side projects, it's simply that those albums are easy to find on vinyl for much lower prices than the mystery vinyl cost. If we wanted to buy pj side projects we easily could (or have already) :) Thus they're disappointing to get.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    benjs said:

jeffbr said:

Exactly. The whole point about my stuff is that it's my stuff. I obtained it, through whatever means I felt merited making said stuff mine. With this, comes the right of doing whatever I want with it. The reality is, if you want to blame any entity for the fact that people have opted to hoard five of a rare item, because it's a rare item - blame the entity that artificially inflated the demand by limiting the supply. Collectors will collect, it's what they do.
    Good post, Ben. This is the bottom line - PJ / 10c has created the scarcity in the market. I don't necessarily care about placing "blame" (since that carries negative baggage), but if PJ wanted all of their fans to enjoy their releases, they could easily do so. Instead they choose to offer up limited releases and instantly create scarcity and drive up prices. That is just the way it is, and while it is unfortunate for those who are looking for records to actually play simply for the enjoyment of the music, it has created a fun market for those who are primarily interested in collecting. Like anything else, there are winners and losers in this game. I agree with PJSoul as well - no sense in getting frustrated. It is what it is, and isn't likely to change anytime soon, so just enjoy what you have, and seize opportunities when they arise.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,434
    I hoard collectible shit all the time, I use extras to trade for other items. It's like a friggin currency.

For example, I bought an extra lavender McCready and traded for an extra white BS. Just traded both for a box set I had been looking for from another band and some other records.

Win-win in my opinion.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."