legalized marijuana thread

Comments

• Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    edited April 2015
    Here is reefer madness from the 1930's. Its only 5 minutes so please enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg5QER6vYMY

Edit: And the wikipedia page about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reefer_Madness
    Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • cdysinge said:

Here is reefer madness from the 1930's. Its only 5 minutes so please enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg5QER6vYMY

Edit: And the wikipedia page about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reefer_Madness

oh my GOD that Rerfer Madness is funny as hell!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    I think Maryland will pass it within the next decade, but probably not in the next 5 years. A recent re-classification for possession went into effect last fall, however. Possession under 10 grams now carries a civil penalty of $100 (first offense, fines go up for subsequent offenses). It used to be a $500 fine and up to 90 days in jail, which would mean a criminal record. Now it's similar to getting a speeding ticket. It's a small step, but at least it's a step in the right direction.
    Oh, but leave your paraphernalia at home. Any type of pipe with any quantity or even residue in it still falls under the criminal classification.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Wow - sounds like Nevada awhile back.

We will tolerate NOTHING! (said in the voice of Col. Klink)

At least no jail time; what a waste of space and resources.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,418
    edited April 2015
    I will never get all the hoopla over legalized pot. I just never will.
    Medical marijuana? Great! Fantastic! It has been proven to help victims of glaucoma and other ailments?....Fantastic!!!

But for the other 99.9% of the people who smoke dope...I just don't get all the hoopla.
    Oh well.
    Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Medical marijuana? Great! Fantastic! It has been proven to help victims of glaucoma and other ailments?....Fantastic!!!

But for the other 99.9% of the people who smoke dope...I just don't get all the hoopla.
    Oh well.

There's really no hoopla. And it's not on anyone to convince you otherwise.

If you're not into it recreationally, fair enough (though I assume you drink?). Others are. And it's really no different.

And yes, victims (?) of glaucoma plus those who live with cancer and arthritis and kidney disease and anxiety and a shitload more...all are echoing that "great and fantastic" mindset.

hedonist said:

Oh well.

There's really no hoopla. And it's not on anyone to convince you otherwise.

If you're not into it recreationally, fair enough (though I assume you drink?). Others are. And it's really no different.

And yes, victims (?) of glaucoma plus those who live with cancer and arthritis and kidney disease and anxiety and a shitload more...all are echoing that "great and fantastic" mindset.

Inevitably EVERY time someone here questions Marijuana being legalized....Every time.
    Actually EVERY time I have had this discussion with anyone in the last 25 years....
    It usually takes the other person about 20 seconds...To bring up alcohol...hahahaha

Anyway...
    To each their own
    Smoke as much dope as ya want
    I still don't get all the hoopla over it being legalized.

Actually I just don't understand why people think this is so damned important. Not everyone. But there are people here, and friends of mine, who make this pot issue seem so freaking important.

Again, I just don't get it.
    The hoopla is that we waste millions, if not billions of tax dollars prosecuting people over something that is less harmful than things you can get freely. Yes, alcohol being one of them. Prescription drugs another. That's what we, who think it's important, just don't get.

The hoopla is that we waste millions, if not billions of tax dollars prosecuting people over something that is less harmful than things you can get freely. Yes, alcohol being one of them. Prescription drugs another. That's what we, who think it's important, just don't get.

So for you, its the fact that money is wasted, when people are busted for a small possession of pot. Ok I get that.

You also feel that it would bring needed revenue to the states that legalize it?
  • I would say the added revenue is a main issue as is the enormous costs we pay to enforce these archaic rules. If people are going to do it and buy it why not tax it make money than spend billions putting people in jail for a plant that will grow in almost any climate. And yes the alcohol discussion will always come up as it is a very hypocritical thing for drinkers to be against legalization.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • cdysinge said:

I would say the added revenue is a main issue as is the enormous costs we pay to enforce these archaic rules. If people are going to do it and buy it why not tax it make money than spend billions putting people in jail for a plant that will grow in almost any climate. And yes the alcohol discussion will always come up as it is a very hypocritical thing for drinkers to be against legalization.

+1.
    cdysinge said:

I would say the added revenue is a main issue as is the enormous costs we pay to enforce these archaic rules. If people are going to do it and buy it why not tax it make money than spend billions putting people in jail for a plant that will grow in almost any climate. And yes the alcohol discussion will always come up as it is a very hypocritical thing for drinkers to be against legalization.

7-10 billion spent annually enforcing marijuana laws. At least according to the website I was on. So ok, lets legalize it in smaller amounts(say what? an ounce is legal to carry around?) Legalize it as far as being able to grow a few plants at your residence? Lets get rid of all the laws pertaining to a small possession being illegal.

But still make it illegal to smoke your dope outside? Does that seem fair? In other words you cant walk down the street smoking your pot?

That's about it? Right?

Actually I just don't understand why people think this is so damned important. Not everyone. But there are people here, and friends of mine, who make this pot issue seem so freaking important.

You put a thought out there and was met with a response. It happens here.

You seemed to be just waiting for that "AHA!" moment with the comp to alcohol, but I stand by it. Talking about recreationally using something vs its impact on body, society, whatever.

Anyway...you don't HAVE to get it. I get it, and that's what matters to me.

"hahaha"

I thought you were somewhat above this talking down BS.
  • cdysinge said:

7-10 billion spent annually enforcing marijuana laws. At least according to the website I was on. So ok, lets legalize it in smaller amounts(say what? an ounce is legal to carry around?) Legalize it as far as being able to grow a few plants at your residence? Lets get rid of all the laws pertaining to a small possession being illegal.

But still make it illegal to smoke your dope outside? Does that seem fair? In other words you cant walk down the street smoking your pot?

That's about it? Right?
    Make it equal to alcohol. You cant walk down the street drinking in most cities in public places. Age 21 and up to buy or possess. I don't believe in adding a rule on how much you can have. If this was legal it would be produced at such a cheap level there wouldn't be any need to mass purchase. Do we bust people for having a keg in their home when a 12 pack would do?
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • cdysinge said:

That's about it? Right?
    Well that is really actually as rude as someone smoking cigs in your personal space in a public setting. At least in my POV. I also agree that we shouldn't drive under the influences of Pot, any more than we should under the influence of alcohol. For the EXACT same reason. Wether anyone likes it or not, pot DOES effect your response times, period. Is it as bad as alcohol?? Fuck no! But it does bring about an inability to react in bad situations, as quickly as is needed to avoid serious accidents. So, in all I agree we should only smoke in our personal spaces,( homes, yards etc). Otherwise we're pushing our decision onto one whom is not in agreement with it. As for legalization, it would not only save us all money, but also make the state some money too. So all around I am 100% for legalization. But I also think there needs to be social standards in place, like no smoking it in public. Just my two cents, from one who smokes dope, ever so respectfully. :-)
    hedonist said:

You seemed to be just waiting for that "AHA!" moment with the comp to alcohol, but I stand by it. Talking about recreationally using something vs its impact on body, society, whatever.

"hahaha"

um....
    At no point was I talking down to you.
    At no point was I doing anything but having a conversation, or attempting to have a conversation.

Lets carry on.
    cdysinge said:

cdysinge said:

That's about it? Right?
    Make it equal to alcohol. You cant walk down the street drinking in most cities in public places. Age 21 and up to buy or possess. I don't believe in adding a rule on how much you can have. If this was legal it would be produced at such a cheap level there wouldn't be any need to mass purchase. Do we bust people for having a keg in their home when a 12 pack would do?
    I could go along with this.
    Very good points brought up here as far as money wasted, and laws that seem to be outdated.

Which is better than 99% of the conversations I have had with friends of mine over the last 20 years.

They basically ALWAYS go to the ....."Its safer than booze" argument.
    And basically they could care less about taxes, revenue, money wasted, etc.
    They just want to get stoned....Hahahahahaha

hedonist said:

"hahaha"

I really wasn't being an ass towards you. I apologize if it came off that way.
    cdysinge said:

cdysinge said:

That's about it? Right?
    What is your take as far as drug testing at work? From what I understand, anyone in Colorado who smokes their dope, still has to obey the workplace laws that are in place, as far as drug testing. Meaning you can buy your dope legally, you can go home and smoke it legally, but if you go to work and fail a drug test? Well, you just lost your job.

What are your opinions on that issue? Should/would drug testing laws have to be changed if pot were legalized in all states?
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177

cdysinge said:

cdysinge said:

That's about it? Right?
    What is your take as far as drug testing at work? From what I understand, anyone in Colorado who smokes their dope, still has to obey the workplace laws that are in place, as far as drug testing. Meaning you can buy your dope legally, you can go home and smoke it legally, but if you go to work and fail a drug test? Well, you just lost your job.

What are your opinions on that issue? Should/would drug testing laws have to be changed if pot were legalized in all states?
    Employers should still (and do in WA and CO) have a right to drug test and deny employment or terminate employment if the employee violates workplace policies. I'd like to see better tests developed for MJ so that intoxication is measured, rather than trace amounts which would have no impact on job performance (or wouldn't cause a sober user of MJ to fail a roadside test and get a DUI). If they are impaired they shouldn't drive or be at work. I don't care whether the impairment is from lack of sleep, alcohol, MJ, prescription meds, etc..

But as others have stated - treat it like alcohol. Illegal to consume on the streets, illegal to be under the influence while driving, illegal to sell to minors, controlled the way cigarette and alcohol sales are, I don't think anyone in this thread is looking for MJ to be treated any differently than other "legal" recreational drugs.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • cdysinge said:

cdysinge said:

That's about it? Right?

I agree to leave it up to the employers. If I come into work drunk off my ass I will be fired. Same should go for weed. The main thing we need to do to make all this work on is finding a way to test for impairment while driving. Weed stays in your system for 30 days on a constant user so there is no real way to determine what is old molecules and what is causing impairment. Colorado was working on a standard but everything I read was bad about it. Maybe the CO fans can update on how that is going?

Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    cdysinge said:

cdysinge said:

cdysinge said:

That's about it? Right?

I agree to leave it up to the employers. If I come into work drunk off my ass I will be fired. Same should go for weed. The main thing we need to do to make all this work on is finding a way to test for impairment while driving. Weed stays in your system for 30 days on a constant user so there is no real way to determine what is old molecules and what is causing impairment. Colorado was working on a standard but everything I read was bad about it. Maybe the CO fans can update on how that is going?

I'd be curious as well. I talked about WA's DUI law as it applies to weed, and how that is a horrible law, so I'm hopeful another state can pull their head out of their ass and create a reasonable test for DUI that actually considers the impairment of the individual rather than some arbitrary number that may produce impairment in some, and absolutely no impairment in others.

hedonist said:

"hahaha"

I really wasn't being an ass towards you. I apologize if it came off that way.
    I appreciate that, Speedy, thank you.
    jeffbr said:

cdysinge said:

cdysinge said:

cdysinge said:

That's about it? Right?

I'd be curious as well. I talked about WA's DUI law as it applies to weed, and how that is a horrible law, so I'm hopeful another state can pull their head out of their ass and create a reasonable test for DUI that actually considers the impairment of the individual rather than some arbitrary number that may produce impairment in some, and absolutely no impairment in others.
    On board with this. I don't want someone driving around stoned off their ass any more than I'd welcome a drunk driver, but in terms of drug testing at work it just makes sense that different parameters apply.

cdysinge said:

That's about it? Right?
    Sounds perfectly fair! As well as don't drive impaired, don't go to work imparied, etc.
  • One of the main radio guys out here goes ape shit every 4/20. He wants everyone to knock off all the bullshit and go to work that day or do something responsible. While it looks like fun to go on a massive smoke out it sets the movement back. If we want this legalized people need to show it can be done responsibly as a society. So all the weedies need to do some charity work or something other than meet in a park and smoke in front of cops that day. CNN and all the news stations can't wait to show all the massive smoke outs which just turn of the moderates in the discussion. So please remember that in 4 days when you plan to do something stupid in the name of 4:20.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • cdysinge said:

One of the main radio guys out here goes ape shit every 4/20. He wants everyone to knock off all the bullshit and go to work that day or do something responsible. While it looks like fun to go on a massive smoke out it sets the movement back. If we want this legalized people need to show it can be done responsibly as a society. So all the weedies need to do some charity work or something other than meet in a park and smoke in front of cops that day. CNN and all the news stations can't wait to show all the massive smoke outs which just turn of the moderates in the discussion. So please remember that in 4 days when you plan to do something stupid in the name of 4:20.

Very well said.
    cdysinge said:

One of the main radio guys out here goes ape shit every 4/20. He wants everyone to knock off all the bullshit and go to work that day or do something responsible. While it looks like fun to go on a massive smoke out it sets the movement back. If we want this legalized people need to show it can be done responsibly as a society. So all the weedies need to do some charity work or something other than meet in a park and smoke in front of cops that day. CNN and all the news stations can't wait to show all the massive smoke outs which just turn of the moderates in the discussion. So please remember that in 4 days when you plan to do something stupid in the name of 4:20.

100% agree. Just as brown bagging some Mad Dog 20/20 in the park is not a good image of responsible alcohol consumption, having stereotypical "stoners" hanging out in public in a smoke out is only going to feed the prohibitionists. Weed can be used responsibly, and the advocates for legalization need to demonstrate that.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I just think you should be able to do whatever the fuck you want...as long as it doesn't effect anyone else.