legalized marijuana thread

Comments

• Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    edited January 2015

The market should settle down as it established itself. My guess is many people imagined themselves getting rich and jumped right in without realizing how volatile markets are when they first open.

AZ had massive problems when the medical program came in. First, a few doctors operating over the internet were giving cards to anyone. I had one at first and was floored how easy it was. You could literally say you were constipated to the computer (he saw you via skype) and they would qualify you. For $150 plus state fees of course (totaled about $350). Those doctors fled the state once investigated and now it pretty much takes 2 doctors to diagnose (your normal doctor who treats you plus the mmj doctor). It was a caregiver model to start. Anyone with a card could rent a store front and open a shop. Card holders could grow and as long as those shops only bought from other card holders they were legally ok. Shops were opening everywhere, sometimes 2 in one strip mall. It was wild west with the prices and those who could get their hands on high quality bud won for the most part. Many places got raided by the state for either selling/buying to non card holders or from importing out of state. There was one shop at that time that was my favorite. 40 to 50 strains of some dank shit. They were robbed (just about no security, employees stoned off their ass and a drawer in the bud room over flowing with cash) and then finally raided by the cops. Turned out the owner was from Colorado (he had mmj stores there as well) and was bringing that wonderful dank bud from there. That explained why their quality was soooo much better than everywhere else at that amount of strains. Much hanky shit was happening since everything was unregulated.

Then 2 years went by and the next part of the original bill kicked in. Card holders lost growing rights if they are within 25 miles of a dispensary, all caregiver shops had to close and these new state regulated shops opened. When they did the prices spiked again and everyone bitched as quality and supply shifted. It took another year to get enough dispensaries opened with growers licensed. Now another year later prices are the same as the height of the caregiver model and quality is better as the supply chain as a whole improved. The states tax revenue from the program sky rocketed as they are able to not only profit by the card issuing but from each sale (sales tax on the consumer plus taxing the dispensary). I chose not to renew my card as did a lot of us as the buddy system went in effect. Having the card helps you if busted but otherwise is just as harmful to you. As I said in a post above my work can go into the database of card holders and fire for just having it. For me with kids that lives a quiet, non law breaking life otherwise there is more fear with my job than the fuzz arresting me.

It sounds like Washington state didn't think it through all the way much like az didn't as first with their mmj program. Capitalism is a wonderful thing and the market will establish itself. Those good at growing good quality cheaply will survive, others will go out of business. Prices and quality will stabilize. It will get better.
    Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    It should be legal everywhere. What gives the government the right to tell us what we can put in our own body? This coming from many of the same governments that apparently has no problem with gmo's, Monsanto's, fluoride and the list goes.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006 wrote: »
    It should be legal everywhere. What gives the government the right to tell us what we can put in our own body? This coming from many of the same governments that apparently has no problem with gmo's, Monsanto's, fluoride and the list goes.

agree with entire post
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    lukin2006 wrote: »
    And yet certain drugs with awful side-effects are advertised ad nauseum - for both adults AND children. Makes zero sense.

cdysinge, great information up there. My MMJ doctor charges about $50 for the visit/prescription, but he's also a "legit" doctor who treats non-MMJ patients, and his nurses spend some time each visit. Definitely not factory-like. And despite my favorite dispensary being closed and re-opened twice, I've found it and the other one I frequent to be extremely professional (not to mention reasonably-priced).

To have to worry about the security of your job because of it is ridiculous, unfair, and maddening.
  • Loving the new technology for vaping. I quit smoking cigarettes a few years ago and went to vaping for my nicotine fix. I don't care what the FDA says it is much, much better than smoking. No more bronchitis and sinus issues since I converted. My vaping units are also a toy in a way as the market is exploding now and better units are coming out. This has left me with a lot of expensive batteries and parts I no longer use as the next new toy came out that I bought. The next wave of dry herbs and concentrate atomizers (the part that holds the product and does the actual vaporizing) are hitting the market. The first ones just burned it instead of vaporizing it for the most part so it was actually worse than a bong. Just ordered a unit for my wife that will work on my last no longer being used batteries. She can adjust the voltage and wattage to vape either dry herb or wax without burning it. It even reduces the smell so people can't tell you are vaping pot.

That and some really good alcohol from Von Fass vomfassusa.com/) who just opened in Scottsdale will be her valentines day present. Von Fass has this really nice heart shaped bottle they dip in red wax and then write whatever you want on it. Very expensive alcohol but amazing. Its a win for me as a drunk, stoned wife is much more fun for me if you know what I mean. I don't know if that makes me an asshole or the best husband ever. Probably somewhere in between equal to the guys who give lingerie as their gift. :>
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    1907549_10205782414625530_8240376997036873039_n.jpg?oh=89646c9902a585cfc50abe751e694b6c&oe=55319E82&__gda__=1433220328_cabab2125b74213508993e2632a947d4

This tested at 19%:1%. My friend sells to dispensaries and what I get is lab tested. Cost $150/oz. Don't imagine I'll be switching to retail when it kicks in later this year.

Before legalization was it really an issue. You still can't smoke in public. I've smoked at home for years and I've never had marijuana issues amongst my legal problems. I've also smoked in 'public' and had no problems. Medicinal has been legal here for years and a card is not hard to obtain but I figure why spend $200 a year. So legalization is a moot point for me aside from the fact that I'll be comfortable throwing a few plants in the backyard every year.

BTW that's a glass of Pliny I'm enjoying with Big Top. And I'm not driving anywhere.
    #FHP
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    A card costs $200 a year?
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,902
    Horos wrote: »
    1907549_10205782414625530_8240376997036873039_n.jpg?oh=89646c9902a585cfc50abe751e694b6c&oe=55319E82&__gda__=1433220328_cabab2125b74213508993e2632a947d4

BTW that's a glass of Pliny I'm enjoying with Big Top. And I'm not driving anywhere.

looks like a sure-fire semi retarded state.

you're the man, horos!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

agree with entire post

Exactly why I have 0 use for politicians ... They all think they know what's best for us. I still can't believe people even vote in the fake democracy ... The only think that matters to politicians is $$$, not people.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

hedonist wrote: »
    And yet certain drugs with awful side-effects are advertised ad nauseum - for both adults AND children. Makes zero sense.

cdysinge, great information up there. My MMJ doctor charges about $50 for the visit/prescription, but he's also a "legit" doctor who treats non-MMJ patients, and his nurses spend some time each visit. Definitely not factory-like. And despite my favorite dispensary being closed and re-opened twice, I've found it and the other one I frequent to be extremely professional (not to mention reasonably-priced).

To have to worry about the security of your job because of it is ridiculous, unfair, and maddening.

Agree ... My wife and I laugh our asses off when the big pharma commercials air ... A 30 second commercial and about 20 seconds of the commercial is on the side effects ... Fuck big pharma. Here in Canada getting a licence is not easy ... I would render a guess that the vast majority of people don't bother with the process and stick to the black market ...

• JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    i would smoke it if it didnt make me paranoid lol
  • I need to look into vaping. I like my edibles. Really the effect is more spread out and I can get true pain relief for many more hours on them.. But being diabetic, there's not much I can use. It's pretty much limited to the granola. So I might have to look into vaping.
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    imalive wrote: »
    Idris wrote: »
    I smoked more weed back in the day than all you youngsters put together.

I'm still a hippie liberal but, gotta tell you, I'm not in favor of legalized weed. this new shit is just TOO POTENT!

yeah, TOO POTENT! decriminalized, yes....legalized, no.

Too potent for YOU, so lets NOT legalize it.

relax......go smoke a bowl.....but, careful, this shit is really potent!

I'm still a hippie liberal but, gotta tell you, I'm not in favor of legalized weed. this new shit is just TOO POTENT!

Why are you telling me to relax? I'm like really quite relaxed, You don't seem relaxed,
    -
    If you had an opportunity to vote to legalize it or not, would you really vote to keep it from being 'truly legal'?

Jeez....I feel like I'm in the Moving Train.

on the last page, someone mentioned eating cookies that put them in a "semi-retarded state".....my point is, with the new stuff, I'm not sure sure you can just get a little stoned...it seems like, one hit and you're fucked up.

maybe they make some legal weaker stuff....I just know you can have a drink or two and just be mellow...not sure that's true with legal weed.

I'd vote to decriminalize it but not make it legal.

Right, so Because you (and some others) can't handle it, it should be only 'decriminalized'...How pathetic!

On top of that, you think they should make 'legal weaker stuff'...

X_X

If I wanna eat,smke,vape and sit in a retarded like state, then that is my own issue, my own thing.

again, Idris.....relax.

you have your opinion, I have mine. but don't worry.....I don't really care that much, one way or the other, to be writing to my senator or protesting against or sending letters to the editor or whatever. It's just my opinion and you're awfully judgemental to label it "pathetic."

feel free to get into a semi retarded state today....I'm assuming you won't be behind the wheel.

Why do you keep telling me to relax? I'm not upset.

Now lets talk about 'opinions'

My opinion is not hurting others, I'm for freedom to smoke what/where and how you like, your opinion is, don't make it fully legal, and make the strong stuff illegal. Ya, I'm gonna label that pathetic, lame.

I am judgmental about that, yes.

So if the time comes to vote to legalize it, please vote for it to be legal, cause that is the 'right' thing. anything else, yes I'll label it pathetic.

• I need to look into vaping. I like my edibles. Really the effect is more spread out and I can get true pain relief for many more hours on them.. But being diabetic, there's not much I can use. It's pretty much limited to the granola. So I might have to look into vaping.

Speaking of this.. Cdysinge, any recommendations?
    I need to look into vaping. I like my edibles. Really the effect is more spread out and I can get true pain relief for many more hours on them.. But being diabetic, there's not much I can use. It's pretty much limited to the granola. So I might have to look into vaping.

Have you checked out the 'vaporizer' thread? I'll bump it.
  • Idris wrote: »
    I need to look into vaping. I like my edibles. Really the effect is more spread out and I can get true pain relief for many more hours on them.. But being diabetic, there's not much I can use. It's pretty much limited to the granola. So I might have to look into vaping.

Have you checked out the 'vaporizer' thread? I'll bump it.

Please. Is it here or in AMT?
  • Vaping is awful it raises your resistance so much it is hard to get the same high smoking pot afterwards

My wife and I tried and standard vaporizer with a whip a while ago and neither of us liked it at all. It was just your normal generic vaporizer like this one: vapeworld.com/easy-vape-digital. It was really hard to find just the right temperature. Too low and you won't get the full effects as it isn't vaporizing it all the way through. Too high and it burns and is really harsh. When it burns you also waste what you loaded as it burns really fast before you can get it to go out. I was also told vaping conserved your product but didn't get that myself. I went through just as much as using a pipe or bong. I have heard really good things about the volcano if you can afford the dough to get it: vapeworld.com/volcano-vaporizer. The volcano is the one you can attach a bag that inflates with the vapor. I know a few that have them and they all love it. Great for parties and sharing with others as well.

For my wife I bought her this attachment which works on one of my variable voltage/wattage ecig batteries. It can do both dry herb or concentrates. Many others claim they can do both but I don't believe them. The one I bought has a separate coil that heats differently than the dry herb coil for concentrates which is why I have faith it will work. vapevetstore.com/products/yocan-mak-dry-herb-and-wax-vaporizer-pen?variant=838479271. If you go with something like this you will need a variable wattage device to power it. That allows you to control how hot it will burn. If you decide to give it a try let me know and I can help steer you to a cheaper battery that will work perfect. $40 should get you both the battery and the new atomizer device.

Here is a review a about it the atomizer I bought:
    google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKh_Ee9tD_Kg&ei=QDW9VLyUB8KQyAS_74HICw&usg=AFQjCNHT7W7FvKv0nz3ms73eXeCf9hZJqg&sig2=2MwGS2IT0Z4B5fwKBUw-FQ

It will be here at the end of the week and I will update on how it is actually working.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • cdysinge wrote: »

My wife and I tried and standard vaporizer with a whip a while ago and neither of us liked it at all. It was just your normal generic vaporizer like this one: vapeworld.com/easy-vape-digital. It was really hard to find just the right temperature. Too low and you won't get the full effects as it isn't vaporizing it all the way through. Too high and it burns and is really harsh. When it burns you also waste what you loaded as it burns really fast before you can get it to go out. I was also told vaping conserved your product but didn't get that myself. I went through just as much as using a pipe or bong. I have heard really good things about the volcano if you can afford the dough to get it: vapeworld.com/volcano-vaporizer. The volcano is the one you can attach a bag that inflates with the vapor. I know a few that have them and they all love it. Great for parties and sharing with others as well.

For my wife I bought her this attachment which works on one of my variable voltage/wattage ecig batteries. It can do both dry herb or concentrates. Many others claim they can do both but I don't believe them. The one I bought has a separate coil that heats differently than the dry herb coil for concentrates which is why I have faith it will work. vapevetstore.com/products/yocan-mak-dry-herb-and-wax-vaporizer-pen?variant=838479271. If you go with something like this you will need a variable wattage device to power it. That allows you to control how hot it will burn. If you decide to give it a try let me know and I can help steer you to a cheaper battery that will work perfect. $40 should get you both the battery and the new atomizer device.

Here is a review a about it the atomizer I bought:
    google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKh_Ee9tD_Kg&ei=QDW9VLyUB8KQyAS_74HICw&usg=AFQjCNHT7W7FvKv0nz3ms73eXeCf9hZJqg&sig2=2MwGS2IT0Z4B5fwKBUw-FQ

It will be here at the end of the week and I will update on how it is actually working.

Cool thank you. I am looking to try the oils, or concentrates I guess. It has to be low smell, cause my step mom is allergic to any type of smoke, but pot smoke really fucks her sinuses up. So if at all possible, trying to find a happy medium here.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    Vaping is awful it raises your resistance so much it is hard to get the same high smoking pot afterwards

Isn't that why people vape? To stop smoking it?
    From another thread on the M.Train (for the kitchen enthusiast)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQGDy07EdR0

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Get the Pax if you're gonna Vape.
  • Ok I'll look into that too Mca47
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Yeah we're 21.00 a gram for bottom shelf( 16-20%) and up to 35.00 a gram for top shelf ( 22-26%)
    And our taxes are roughly the same.

:-O
    That's ridiculous! How does that align with what you guys paid pre-legalization? I've seen some pretty outrageous prices in the states....but 35/gr? wow. That's like 70 for four joints - a good weekend afternoon/evening. That is more expensive than any other drug around here....can get an evening's supply of coke for 50 here.

What's the deal with growing in legal states? Can you get a license for a small home grow?

Why are you telling me to relax? I'm like really quite relaxed, You don't seem relaxed,
    -
    If you had an opportunity to vote to legalize it or not, would you really vote to keep it from being 'truly legal'?

Jeez....I feel like I'm in the Moving Train.

on the last page, someone mentioned eating cookies that put them in a "semi-retarded state".....my point is, with the new stuff, I'm not sure sure you can just get a little stoned...it seems like, one hit and you're fucked up.

maybe they make some legal weaker stuff....I just know you can have a drink or two and just be mellow...not sure that's true with legal weed.

I'd vote to decriminalize it but not make it legal.

Right, so Because you (and some others) can't handle it, it should be only 'decriminalized'...How pathetic!

On top of that, you think they should make 'legal weaker stuff'...

X_X

If I wanna eat,smke,vape and sit in a retarded like state, then that is my own issue, my own thing.

again, Idris.....relax.

you have your opinion, I have mine. but don't worry.....I don't really care that much, one way or the other, to be writing to my senator or protesting against or sending letters to the editor or whatever. It's just my opinion and you're awfully judgemental to label it "pathetic."

feel free to get into a semi retarded state today....I'm assuming you won't be behind the wheel.

not sure why you're getting all defensive with idris....you stated your opinion but seem to want to brush him off instead of elaborating....your choice.... 'feel like I'm on AMT'....well...this is a thread about a law, and you gave an opinion, so.....why not discuss it? Shouldn't be a big deal, right?
    why do you prefer decrim? There are so many layers of hypocrisy in decrim legislation - it's almost always a sham. 'You can possess up to xx grams, after that you're a criminal'....so it must just magically appear. It also encourages the black market. The only reason decrim should even be a consideration (imho), is to avoid taxes that drive the price to 35/gr.
    Anyone catch The Layover (Anthony Bourdain) in Amsterdam? Holy shit I laughed so hard at a few scenes in this show....the karaoke ambush was too funny.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xo2kqz_the-layover-s01e07-amterdam_travel

• Yeah we're 21.00 a gram for bottom shelf( 16-20%) and up to 35.00 a gram for top shelf ( 22-26%)
    And our taxes are roughly the same.

:-O
    That's ridiculous! How does that align with what you guys paid pre-legalization? I've seen some pretty outrageous prices in the states....but 35/gr? wow. That's like 70 for four joints - a good weekend afternoon/evening. That is more expensive than any other drug around here....can get an evening's supply of coke for 50 here.

What's the deal with growing in legal states? Can you get a license for a small home grow?

That's the recreational prices. And if I can get a receipt for weed?? I'll pay a little extra.. As for pre legalization. It was never that high.. I'm sure once everything settles into place on cue.. Things will moderate out better. But for now.. I'll gladly take waking into a store buying pit, and cops can't fucking say shit!! I got a receipt!! Lol anyhow. I don't consume much so those prices even out for me.. So I have no complaints..
  • As for growing.. I don't know about for personal use.. I know you can grow for dispensaries and have a grower's license. I'll look into that.
  • Those prices are nuts (35 a gram). Top shelf here is $20 a gram ($65 1/8ths), $15 for mids ($50 1/8ths). That includes the state taxes in the prices as most of the dispensaries just add it in to their displayed prices. The prices are equivalent to the black market. I used to love one shop that did an upgrade on your 1/8th to make it a 4 gram eighth for an extra $5.

For growing there is 1 place in the US where it is still illegal but you can license a small grow. Humboldt County in Cali is famous for it. I grew up a couple hours away from there in Nor Cal and almost all of our bud back then came from there. People buy cabins there just to grow.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle