legalized marijuana thread

123457»

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798

imalive said:

I smoked more weed back in the day than all you youngsters put together.

I'm still a hippie liberal but, gotta tell you, I'm not in favor of legalized weed. this new shit is just TOO POTENT!

yeah, TOO POTENT! decriminalized, yes....legalized, no.

Could not agree more. Totally against legalization. And I too smoked way more than my share in my day. That's why I'm against it, I know the ramifications.
    All the members of Pearl Jam smoke or smoked pot for most of their adult lives, and all support legalization, so just because you are not mature enough to handle it, it's pretty fucking selfish to penalize every one else
    I was ready to give you shit for attacking me but I see why you could get the impression I couldn't handle it. That's not at all what I meant by agreeing 100%. I meant I don't think it should be legal. It's my opinion. Nothing at all to do with the potency.

Decriminalize, absolutely. Legalize, I don't agree.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630

imalive said:

I smoked more weed back in the day than all you youngsters put together.

I'm still a hippie liberal but, gotta tell you, I'm not in favor of legalized weed. this new shit is just TOO POTENT!

yeah, TOO POTENT! decriminalized, yes....legalized, no.

Could not agree more. Totally against legalization. And I too smoked way more than my share in my day. That's why I'm against it, I know the ramifications.
    All the members of Pearl Jam smoke or smoked pot for most of their adult lives, and all support legalization, so just because you are not mature enough to handle it, it's pretty fucking selfish to penalize every one else
    I was ready to give you shit for attacking me but I see why you could get the impression I couldn't handle it. That's not at all what I meant by agreeing 100%. I meant I don't think it should be legal. It's my opinion. Nothing at all to do with the potency.

Decriminalize, absolutely. Legalize, I don't agree.
    But by your logic- you stated that you used to smoke too much pot and so you know the ramifications- by that logic alcohol, TV, sugar and many other things that are bad for you in excess should also be illegal. Our criminal system is clogged up enough as it is without putting TV addicts in jail. (Yes, I'm exaggerating but just to make a point.)

Some people are just prone to abusing things. That doesn't make them criminals or bad people and they usually become more happy and fulfilled when they do learn moderation. Making something illegal does not teach moderation. And I say that as a person who has not always practiced moderation.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    I have to stop posting, because, again I was misunderstood. When I said way too much, I wasn't trying to infer abuse or that it in any way affected my ability to live a normal existence. Just looking back on it, it was a lot.
    Honestly, I don't agree with legalization, but it's not something that I'll defend to the death, or even lose sleep over. I was just offering my opinion on the topic.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280

I have to stop posting, because, again I was misunderstood. When I said way too much, I wasn't trying to infer abuse or that it in any way affected my ability to live a normal existence. Just looking back on it, it was a lot.
    Honestly, I don't agree with legalization, but it's not something that I'll defend to the death, or even lose sleep over. I was just offering my opinion on the topic.

• I had to join the Marine Corps to get away from my stoner friends when I was 19. I flunked out of community college. I went every morning like I was supposed to but smoked all day behind one of the buildings instead of going to class. I hadn't learned moderation yet and didn't know how to change my life so I went with as drastic change as I could. That is why I support it being 21 much like alcohol. Even at 21 most are really not mature enough but hopefully by that point you see your future in front of you enough to finish what you started.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Posts: 8,639
    Education is far more effective, look at smoking and the steady decrease, if we need to prohibit anything it is guns and stuff that actually kills people, they systematically poison our food and water in America, where is the outrage over that? Not speaking to anyone directly, I mean our country as a whole
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Posts: 8,639
    cdysinge said:

I had to join the Marine Corps to get away from my stoner friends when I was 19. I flunked out of community college. I went every morning like I was supposed to but smoked all day behind one of the buildings instead of going to class. I hadn't learned moderation yet and didn't know how to change my life so I went with as drastic change as I could. That is why I support it being 21 much like alcohol. Even at 21 most are really not mature enough but hopefully by that point you see your future in front of you enough to finish what you started.

Solid post
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    cdysinge said:

I had to join the Marine Corps to get away from my stoner friends when I was 19. I flunked out of community college. I went every morning like I was supposed to but smoked all day behind one of the buildings instead of going to class. I hadn't learned moderation yet and didn't know how to change my life so I went with as drastic change as I could. That is why I support it being 21 much like alcohol. Even at 21 most are really not mature enough but hopefully by that point you see your future in front of you enough to finish what you started.

I can't agree with the 21 age thing, with regards to alcohol or marijuana. There are pitfalls everywhere in life and sometimes falling in and pulling ourselves out makes us better people. I know far more people my age who struggle with alcohol than marijuana. In fact, the number I know that struggle with marijuana is pretty minute.

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    eddiec said:

cdysinge said:

I can't agree with the 21 age thing, with regards to alcohol or marijuana. There are pitfalls everywhere in life and sometimes falling in and pulling ourselves out makes us better people. I know far more people my age who struggle with alcohol than marijuana. In fact, the number I know that struggle with marijuana is pretty minute.

Wonderful and insightful post! It applies to other veins of life as well, but freedom to flounder (or even fail) can be invaluable to eventual success.

You hopefully learn.
  • Happy 4/20 everyone. Now go do something positive today.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • I am
    Gonna get some hiking in before I have to report for work.
  • Oh and I don't know about WA. But here in CO, they are doing DUI check points for driving while stoned. Seriously, humans... Don't get high and drive around.. That's equally as stupid as drinking six beers and going for a drive! Wether or not anyone likes it.. Weed does impair your reaction times! Don't speed on weed!! Lol I just made that up!

Other than that, enjoy your day!
  • Oh and I don't know about WA. But here in CO, they are doing DUI check points for driving while stoned. Seriously, humans... Don't get high and drive around.. That's equally as stupid as drinking six beers and going for a drive! Wether or not anyone likes it.. Weed does impair your reaction times! Don't speed on weed!! Lol I just made that up!

Other than that, enjoy your day!

Don't speed on weed would make an excellent bumper sticker. Good one WH.

Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • I don't like Obama.. At all.. I think he's the shittiest president we've ever had.. However.. I do agree with him on this point. It IS going to take some real show of educated response to weed being legal in some places for a LONG time, before this comes up as even remotely debatable on a National basis.
  • The disc jockey on the way home took this step further and yet again I agree with him. We need to make him king for a day on 4/20. Now he is asking everyone next year to schedule their smoke outs. This time though no smoking. The latest argument against decriminalization is still the age old addiction crap. Next year when the media shows up to portray all pot smokers as lazy stoners we should all be sober and should plan a free dog wash, kit assembly for the homeless and so on. That way we can show this whole addiction thing is crap. When I am out of pot I am grumpy and pissed that I am out of pot, but I do not withdraw like I did getting off pills. Lets prove them wrong by showing we can all not smoke for one day.

That is next year so now I must go support 4/20 by myself and smoke a bowl.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    cdysinge said:

The disc jockey on the way home took this step further and yet again I agree with him. We need to make him king for a day on 4/20. Now he is asking everyone next year to schedule their smoke outs. This time though no smoking. The latest argument against decriminalization is still the age old addiction crap. Next year when the media shows up to portray all pot smokers as lazy stoners we should all be sober and should plan a free dog wash, kit assembly for the homeless and so on. That way we can show this whole addiction thing is crap. When I am out of pot I am grumpy and pissed that I am out of pot, but I do not withdraw like I did getting off pills. Lets prove them wrong by showing we can all not smoke for one day.

That is next year so now I must go support 4/20 by myself and smoke a bowl.

I think it's a good idea, well-intentioned, but it should be - and actually is - demonstrated year-long (versus, as an example, helping the homeless only on Christmas). Most people I know who are regular smokers DO do that.

Productive stoners, if you will.

As to the gatherings today, I was telling my husband earlier that even if it were recreationally legal here, I can't see being out and about and just firing up. Probably more of a personal thing, but I prefer to get a good buzz on at home.