legalized marijuana thread

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    imalive said:

I smoked more weed back in the day than all you youngsters put together.

I'm still a hippie liberal but, gotta tell you, I'm not in favor of legalized weed. this new shit is just TOO POTENT!

yeah, TOO POTENT! decriminalized, yes....legalized, no.

Could not agree more. Totally against legalization. And I too smoked way more than my share in my day. That's why I'm against it, I know the ramifications.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Against legalization because it's too potent? Smoke less for fucks sake! If you're a beer drinker and can't handle the whiskey...maybe you should just ban the whiskey for everyone who can drink it in moderation and responsibly...
    Pureandeasy...so you smoked a ton back in the day and that's why you're against it?
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    jeffbr said:

cdysinge said:

One of the main radio guys out here goes ape shit every 4/20. He wants everyone to knock off all the bullshit and go to work that day or do something responsible. While it looks like fun to go on a massive smoke out it sets the movement back. If we want this legalized people need to show it can be done responsibly as a society. So all the weedies need to do some charity work or something other than meet in a park and smoke in front of cops that day. CNN and all the news stations can't wait to show all the massive smoke outs which just turn of the moderates in the discussion. So please remember that in 4 days when you plan to do something stupid in the name of 4:20.

100% agree. Just as brown bagging some Mad Dog 20/20 in the park is not a good image of responsible alcohol consumption, having stereotypical "stoners" hanging out in public in a smoke out is only going to feed the prohibitionists. Weed can be used responsibly, and the advocates for legalization need to demonstrate that.
    Ah, you two! Bravo and bravo.

One of the two dispensaries I utilize has a few locations - one near my work, another near where my guy works. Earlier he told me he saw one of their canisters in the street, and ended with "damned potheads!" And I said, "yeah, don't give the rest of us a bad name".

Most people I know who regularly smoke (though I realize not most people in general who smoke) aren't all about 'whoa, dude - rad!'

We hold long-term stable jobs, are well-spoken, honor our obligations, yada yada...we're not fuckups.

Some get it, some don't.

By the way, I picked up a lovely hybrid yesterday called Purple Willie =)
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Posts: 8,639

imalive said:

I'm still a hippie liberal but, gotta tell you, I'm not in favor of legalized weed. this new shit is just TOO POTENT!

Could not agree more. Totally against legalization. And I too smoked way more than my share in my day. That's why I'm against it, I know the ramifications.
    I have been smoking for about 27 years and it should be up to each state, we the people of Washington state legalized it, by voter initiative, and someone living here can go fuck off and live somewhere else if they don't want it legalized, but since legalization here, crime is down, violent crimes are down and arrests are down and I feel much safer than I did before, of course we also made it more difficult to obtain a firearm, so you guys can have your guns where you live, and we will have our marijuana and we will come out way far ahead in the end, most of the band smokes pot, that is the irony in your take, they obviously haven't been fucked up too badly from it

imalive said:

All the members of Pearl Jam smoke or smoked pot for most of their adult lives, and all support legalization, so just because you are not mature enough to handle it, it's pretty fucking selfish to penalize every one else
    Stone smoking a bowl and a blunt, Stone gets it
    David Gilmour with Paul & Linda McCartney, their lives didn't end up fucked up, not sure where all the fucking prohibitionists get off with their bullshit, trying to take everyone's fun away
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    mca47 said:

Against legalization because it's too potent? Smoke less for fucks sake! If you're a beer drinker and can't handle the whiskey...maybe you should just ban the whiskey for everyone who can drink it in moderation and responsibly...
    Pureandeasy...so you smoked a ton back in the day and that's why you're against it?

I agree, mca. In fact, more potent means less damage to the lungs. One little puff today and ... bingo! In 1968 it was puff puff, cough cough, hack hack, puff puff puff... hi ho, a little buzz.

imalive said:

All the members of Pearl Jam smoke or smoked pot for most of their adult lives, and all support legalization, so just because you are not mature enough to handle it, it's pretty fucking selfish to penalize every one else
    Agreed. Sorry to say there are those who don't know moderation or personal limits but those people will be that way anyway until they figure it out.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

yeah because if you smoke weed you won't end up a Governor, or a President or a famous musician or win 18 gold fucking medals by the looks of things, people need to smoke more weed
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    brianlux said:

mca47 said:

I agree, mca. In fact, more potent means less damage to the lungs. One little puff today and ... bingo! In 1968 it was puff puff, cough cough, hack hack, puff puff puff... hi ho, a little buzz.

imalive said:

Agreed. Sorry to say there are those who don't know moderation or personal limits but those people will be that way anyway until they figure it out.

Yeah, I used to smoke a ton of crappy weed in college. It was kind of fun because you and a buddy could easily smoke a J to its end. That process was fun....but my lungs hurt so bad the next day.
    I'm more of a once a week (sometimes 2 weeks) smoker now. I have a puff or two and that's it. Same result, a lot less dope and a lot less stress on my lungs.

imalive said:

For what it's worth, she's good people - a stand-up woman, smart and decent, and one of the most unselfish people I've come to know here.
  • We also have way better technology than existed in the 1960's. Vapoizers, vape pens, understanding not to light the bowl with a lighter as it adds most of the carcinogens (my dispensary hands out hemp wicks you light and then use that for the bowl). Yes the potency is a lot higher but it also serves a greater purpose as well. I have an article from high times a couple of years ago on a rehab clinic that against the law was using concentrates to help heroin users detox. Instead of giving them the new age prescription pills that help them detox (which are also very addictive) they used wax. It worked better and had far less consequences on their sobriety long term. That falls into the medical side but just goes to show we really don't even understand the full range of benefits yet as the Government shut down all studies that went against what they wanted. Shit it got me through my detox and is the reason I have no desire to take a pill anymore. And who is to say who needs it medically and who is using recreationaly. I may like it as it makes me happier (works great for depression/anxiety) even though it feels like I am just using it for fun. In reality I am using it for the same reason people drink, to relax and let go of the shit that happens in life.

Anyways, off to smoke a bowl. I got some killer Lemon Haze/Sour Diesel hybrid screaming my name. And guess what, it has a 20% THC potency. I will take 4 hits and be done. I don't need to smoke 3 bowls to get the same effect.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    Cheers, cdy. Gonna go have a toke myself.

Helps my back AND makes me happy.

Win/win.
    edited April 2015
    hedonist said:

imalive said:

For what it's worth, she's good people - a stand-up woman, smart and decent, and one of the most unselfish people I've come to know here.
    I believe you, but saying that she is for prohibition, which goes against our evolutionary nature, and I bet at least 95% of the music she listens to was recorded by artists who have done at least enjoyed marijuana if not, shrooms or LSD, so it is pretty hypocritical to enjoy that music and then call for prohibition of the stuff that helped create it, now if you are for prohibition, be for prohibition, but don't enjoy the art created by it and pretend that it wasn't and it doesn't have anything positive to offer, it is equivalent to Republican Christians, who are the epitome of hypocrisy and selfishness. So while I would not agree with someone who says they are for prohibition, but if the denounce the music and art they enjoyed because they don't agree with the vehicle that created it, then hey at least they are consistent and walk the walk, talking the talk, but failing to walk the walk is beyond sad, there is already way too much hypocrisy in this world, we don't need more of it when it comes to marijuana, something that has enriched the lives of so many
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
    Looking back over the years. it's amazing how things have changed. 45 years ago I was living in dorms my first year in college and went home for the weekend only to come back and find out a guy down the hall had been hauled off to prison for having pot seeds in his room. 25 years ago I talked to a lawyer I knew who was from the Seattle area who smoked reefer now and then and asked him if he thought weed would ever be legal and he said he very much doubted it.

Sure seems to me people have become much more sensible about this subject, thank goodness.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:

Looking back over the years. it's amazing how things have changed. 45 years ago I was living in dorms my first year in college and went home for the weekend only to come back and find out a guy down the hall had been hauled off to prison for having pot seeds in his room. 25 years ago I talked to a lawyer I knew who was from the Seattle area who smoked reefer now and then and asked him if he thought weed would ever be legal and he said he very much doubted it.

Sure seems to me people have become much more sensible about this subject, thank goodness.

+1

David Gilmour with Paul & Linda McCartney, their lives didn't end up fucked up, not sure where all the fucking prohibitionists get off with their bullshit, trying to take everyone's fun away

This brings up a good point, BBH. Many people who are for prohibition will say, "OK, if it medical, that's OK" but if you say, "But I just like to smoke because it's fun" they tell you that's not OK.

But why? Why is it not OK just to enjoy it? Isn't life tough enough? Why can't we do something that is relatively harmless (especially compared to alcohol which has ruined far more lives I've personally known that pot)? When we need a little break from the stress of life why is it OK to medicate with prescription chemicals or meditate or drink or watch TV but not ok to have a smoke? I don't get that.

It's time we stop having to feel the need to have a medical reason to smoke pot (although of course that is a great reason to). Sometimes it's just nice to do something that makes you feel good,doesn't hurt anyone else and not be made to feel like a criminal for doing it. I'm surprised anyone is for prohibition anymore. Personally, I don't think anyone has the right to tell others that.

brianlux said:

This brings up a good point, BBH. Many people who are for prohibition will say, "OK, if it medical, that's OK" but if you say, "But I just like to smoke because it's fun" they tell you that's not OK.

But why? Why is it not OK just to enjoy it? Isn't life tough enough? Why can't we do something that is relatively harmless (especially compared to alcohol which has ruined far more lives I've personally known that pot)? When we need a little break from the stress of life why is it OK to medicate with prescription chemicals or meditate or drink or watch TV but not ok to have a smoke? I don't get that.

It's time we stop having to feel the need to have a medical reason to smoke pot (although of course that is a great reason to). Sometimes it's just nice to do something that makes you feel good,doesn't hurt anyone else and not be made to feel like a criminal for doing it. I'm surprised anyone is for prohibition anymore. Personally, I don't think anyone has the right to tell others that.
    to me psychological well being is as medical a condition as you can have, without marijuana, I would have to be on several prescription medications which have nasty fucking side effects, but some of these uninformed people would rather have us poisoned by the drug makers, who a few years down the road will be on that commercial for 1-800-BAD-DRUG they don't care if they pay out billions in payouts knowing they made tens of billions in profits, prohibitionists disgust me and piss me off because of how totally uneducated they are and how they want to leave people with no choice but to be poisoned by toxic chemicals, which could kill you or adversely effect your way of life, just one simple question, how many people die because of prescription drugs each year? and how many die from marijuana? hopefully this fact sheet stops this prohibition nonsense

edited April 2015
    because of uneducated prohibitionists
    and it also absorbs 5 times the carbon as trees, so legalizing this shit might be the only thing that save this planet, but most people are far too apathetic because they figure well it will survive my lifetime, who cares about the kids and grandkids, because I won't be around anyway, attitudes seriously need to fucking change, I am sure this group of people are amongst those Eddie was referring to here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65h3wPTJmEY

brianlux said:

to me psychological well being is as medical a condition as you can have, without marijuana, I would have to be on several prescription medications which have nasty fucking side effects, but some of these uninformed people would rather have us poisoned by the drug makers, who a few years down the road will be on that commercial for 1-800-BAD-DRUG they don't care if they pay out billions in payouts knowing they made tens of billions in profits, prohibitionists disgust me and piss me off because of how totally uneducated they are and how they want to leave people with no choice but to be poisoned by toxic chemicals, which could kill you or adversely effect your way of life, just one simple question, how many people die because of prescription drugs each year? and how many die from marijuana? hopefully this fact sheet stops this prohibition nonsense

Good point, Big Guy!

I think it's important for those of you out there who are opposed marijuana to understand that I am not attacking you by saying it should be legal, but rather I am defending what I see as a perfectly reasonable choice made by some of us who find it helpful. If you want to talk about people you see as abusing pot (I don't make those kinds of judgements myself) then maybe consider that those same people could just as easily be "abusing" prescriptions meds or anything else. Don't blame the substance and unless someone is directly harming you, please don't be judgmental what substances people chose to use.

Gotta get some rest, catch you all on the flip side.

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Good point, Big Guy!

I think it's important for those of you out there who are opposed marijuana to understand that I am not attacking you by saying it should be legal, but rather I am defending what I see as a perfectly reasonable choice made by some of us who find it helpful. If you want to talk about people you see as abusing pot (I don't make those kinds of judgements myself) then maybe consider that those same people could just as easily be "abusing" prescriptions meds or anything else. Don't blame the substance and unless someone is directly harming you, please don't be judgmental what substances people chose to use.

Gotta get some rest, catch you all on the flip side.

great take as always Bri
  • because of uneducated prohibitionists
    and it also absorbs 5 times the carbon as trees, so legalizing this shit might be the only thing that save this planet, but most people are far too apathetic because they figure well it will survive my lifetime, who cares about the kids and grandkids, because I won't be around anyway, attitudes seriously need to fucking change, I am sure this group of people are amongst those Eddie was referring to here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65h3wPTJmEY

(Sorry but I can't pass this up!!)

"And how do you IDIOTS propose to save BioDome?"

"Purple Pastie-Sticky Punch sir!!"

I believe you, but saying that she is for prohibition, which goes against our evolutionary nature, and I bet at least 95% of the music she listens to was recorded by artists who have done at least enjoyed marijuana if not, shrooms or LSD, so it is pretty hypocritical to enjoy that music and then call for prohibition of the stuff that helped create it, now if you are for prohibition, be for prohibition, but don't enjoy the art created by it and pretend that it wasn't and it doesn't have anything positive to offer, it is equivalent to Republican Christians, who are the epitome of hypocrisy and selfishness. So while I would not agree with someone who says they are for prohibition, but if the denounce the music and art they enjoyed because they don't agree with the vehicle that created it, then hey at least they are consistent and walk the walk, talking the talk, but failing to walk the walk is beyond sad, there is already way too much hypocrisy in this world, we don't need more of it when it comes to marijuana, something that has enriched the lives of so many

I hear you - and am with you on it being legal and available - but feel it was important to point out that even though I disagree with the opinion, didn't want the person holding that mindset to be trashed. You seem like an alright guy, and figure that wasn't the intent behind your words.

• BBHis a lot like myself. We get passionate about things, and often are misunderstood in a text type context. That's why I like him so much! Lol
    edited April 2015
    hedonist said:

I hear you - and am with you on it being legal and available - but feel it was important to point out that even though I disagree with the opinion, didn't want the person holding that mindset to be trashed. You seem like an alright guy, and figure that wasn't the intent behind your words.

LOL listened to too many bootlegs where Eddie is talking about our freedoms, just listen to the Phoenix bootleg where he talks about how awesome it is that he lives in a place where we have legalized marijuana and same-sex marriages, unless you live here you can't know how great it is, and we are talking about a place where it rains half the year, and sorry but people with those less informed attitudes because they live in a place with fewer freedoms, become a threat to our way of life by speaking out without having researched it first, with only first hand anecdotal evidence, so yeah I get passionate about this, because I understand how much better things are now and how much happier the population is here and I just want that same chance of happiness for everyone, so sorry if I offended, but a definitive counter point needed to be made
  • hedonist said:

LOL listened to too many bootlegs where Eddie is talking about our freedoms, just listen to the Phoenix bootleg where he talks about how awesome it is that he lives in a place where we have legalized marijuana and same-sex marriages, unless you live here you can't know how great it is, and we are talking about a place where it rains half the year, and sorry but people with those less informed attitudes because they live in a place with fewer freedoms, become a threat to our way of life by speaking out without having researched it first, with only first hand anecdotal evidence, so yeah I get passionate about this, because I understand how much better things are now and how much happier the population is here and I just want that same chance of happiness for everyone, so sorry if I offended, but a definitive counter point needed to be made
    Be careful though as that same logic is used by the gun nuts here in AZ on why everyone should be able to conceal and carry and own as many high powered semi automatic riffles as they want. While the argument is the same it is for different results (one doesn't really hurt society at all while the other can be used to kill people). AZ just passed a law making it where cities can't pass any gun laws and the state law rules all (everyone can carry). They used the same logic in that it is our freedom they are protecting. God bless this state though as that logic will be used to legalize weed in the next couple of years. We really might be next.

Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    Fuck decriminalization, legalize this shit. Weed being a schedule 1 drug is a mockery of the entire schedule system.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177

Fuck decriminalization, legalize this shit. Weed being a schedule 1 drug is a mockery of the entire schedule system.

Yup. Unfortunately it is going to take a different administration and a different congress to make something like that happen. It will be a very slow process. There has been a little good news, in that a US district court finally held a fact finding hearing. The bummer is that 2 days ago she ruled that she could not/ or would not overturn the federal law.

Pressure keeps intensifying for the idiots running our country, so hopefully as more states shed prohibition, or a case gets a positive result in the 9th circuit court of appeals, we will see the feds hand forced. There is no logic or science keeping MJ classified as a sched 1 drug. But religionists and morality police don't typically rely on logic, so I get it. We'll eventually see a change on the federal level, but it will be because of smart people acting locally.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    cdysinge said:

hedonist said:

Be careful though as that same logic is used by the gun nuts here in AZ on why everyone should be able to conceal and carry and own as many high powered semi automatic riffles as they want. While the argument is the same it is for different results (one doesn't really hurt society at all while the other can be used to kill people). AZ just passed a law making it where cities can't pass any gun laws and the state law rules all (everyone can carry). They used the same logic in that it is our freedom they are protecting. God bless this state though as that logic will be used to legalize weed in the next couple of years. We really might be next.

Yeah guns fucking suck, fortunately in Washington we made it far more difficult to obtain them